Author Topic: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - FINAL RESULTS!!!  (Read 46987 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - ROUND 2 IMPRESSIONS!
« Reply #455 on: April 24, 2023, 08:14:53 PM »
I, personally, have not made an EP and will not be sending one after the roulette. :-P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - ROUND 2 HANGMAN!
« Reply #456 on: April 26, 2023, 11:46:59 AM »
Round 2 First Impressions!

Puppies: This is practically cheating, but I'm not gonna ban it since you had no way of knowing I already loved this one.

Buddy: This is shaped like a song I'd really like, but I'll need further listens to confirm whether or not it hits all the right notes.

TAC: See, if you're going to send something djent-adjacent, this is the way to do it.

King: This is right up my alley and I have no real issues with it, yet I'm sitting here struggling to think of anything to say about it other than that… it's good, yeah!

HOF: This sounds really good but I felt like I spent its entire runtime waiting for it to… go? Somewhere?

Litho: It's an interesting fusion of two sounds I like on their own, but I'm not sure they have that great chemistry together.

Lonestar: I see someone's following the TAC school of roulette submissions with this one, though with less impressive results.

Stadler: Not… sure it's quite my style, but it's got enough personality that I still enjoy it well enough.

Vmadera: Didn't know this band was still around and subsequently surprised they're still this solid.

Faizoff: My constant struggle with this style/band is that I'm… not? Sure? What I'm supposed to get out of it?

ariich: I get where your head's at with this submission, but this might be slightly… off, what I look for in the genre.

Tomi: Generally with this style I prefer slower, moodier stuff, but this is still pretty dang solid so what do I know.

Luke: I think there was a point where I was into this sound, but that point feels like it's long past.

Seneca: Like with every song by this artist, I don't know if I'm gonna have nearly enough time to properly deconstruct it by the time I need to write about it.

Reaper: This is… pleasant and I can't say I've heard anything quite like it but I kinda wish it did a bit more?

Dacul: what.

round playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2h3hafPcXcxFp6ACl9NS6I

results probably... monday? i'm on my third listen right now and can get another one in on friday probably, work on results over the weekend... sure

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #457 on: April 26, 2023, 11:49:52 AM »
Alright. Still have nothing for the next round. I have something for the weird round which I could use next round and just kick the can down the road.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #460 on: April 26, 2023, 06:39:17 PM »
:2metal:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #461 on: April 27, 2023, 07:36:01 AM »
I'm excited now—that's a tasty impression.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #462 on: April 29, 2023, 11:42:06 AM »
working on fourth listens rn and hoping to at least get comparisons done today, overall thoughts on this round rn is that it's kinda both weaker and stronger than round 1? the bottom is a bit lower, there's a bigger gap between the stuff i'm kinda meh on and the stuff i like, and then the top is a bit higher but it skews a bit more towards the positive, i wanna say? weird round, anyways

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #463 on: April 29, 2023, 12:15:46 PM »
The bottom's a bit weaker eh? Maybe I'll finally get that elusive and magical 4/10! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #464 on: April 29, 2023, 01:34:01 PM »
The bottom's a bit weaker eh? Maybe I'll finally get that elusive and magical 4/10! :corn
did you read your first impression

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #465 on: April 29, 2023, 02:26:20 PM »
did you read your first impression
I thought maybe it was a red herring  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #466 on: April 29, 2023, 07:19:39 PM »
Round 2 Comparisons

Ariich v
Buddy v
TAC v
Luke v
HOF v
King ^
Litho v
Tomislav ^
Seneca ^
Vmadera ^
Lonestar v
Stadler ^
Reaper ^
Dacul ^
Faizoff v
Puppies ^

chaos

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #467 on: April 29, 2023, 07:36:44 PM »
Hot damn!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #468 on: April 29, 2023, 07:44:58 PM »
That comparison does not jive with my impression..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: April 29, 2023, 08:30:30 PM »
That comparison does not jive with my impression..

Unless it's a 1/2 point to a point less while everyone else is a lot lower.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #470 on: April 29, 2023, 08:47:51 PM »
Uh oh...

Offline faizoff

« Reply #471 on: April 29, 2023, 09:04:56 PM »
Harsh! but... expected.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #472 on: April 29, 2023, 09:14:47 PM »
Who landed on the Bowser Revolution?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #473 on: April 30, 2023, 02:24:17 PM »
Sent for the next round. I need to cleanse.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #474 on: May 01, 2023, 01:40:29 PM »
officially started writeups, plan to follow the same strat of writing four in the morning, four in the afternoon so expect results tomorrow afternoon

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #475 on: May 02, 2023, 05:32:11 PM »
Round 2 Results
Round 2 Playlist

Lonestar: Deadly Circus Fire – Bury You Alive

This is a weird one for me. It’s like… functionally fine, I guess, but the more I listened to it the less I liked it? The riffs aren’t that impressive or original, the vocals are pretty weak, and compared to all the other metal in this round, the production quality here is just… crap. Sounds like there’s a layer of mud over everything. It definitely feels like a debut EP, yeah.

Moreso than that, the thing that really soured this one me… there’s like, mild vibes of… I can’t think of a better way to put it than “incel-core”. Like, I can’t find a lyrics sheet, but it seems like this dude is so mad that his woman doesn’t bow to every one of his whims and demands that he’s daydreaming about literally burying her alive? It’s got a very… uncomfortable attitude, to put it kindly.

I don’t… hate it, it’s not offensively bad or anything, there’s even some kinda cool drumwork from time to time, I guess, but out of every song in this round this is definitely the one I like the least. Mostly I’m just confused why… something this unpolished, when apparently this band has been active and presumably pretty solid in the decade and a half since this? Dunno, man.

5.5/10

Faizoff: Russian Circles – Harper Lewis

I don’t inherently dislike post-rock or post-metal as genres. There’s albums in both I quite like. And I don’t particularly dislike Russian Circles, either… I have their first album, though apparently I haven’t rated it on RYM, probably because I haven’t… thought, about it, in over a decade. It’s very fine. This song is very… fine. There’s nothing about it I dislike.

But I’m kinda just… stumped. I cannot fathom what this song is trying to, like… evoke. What am I supposed to get out of it? It’s too busy to be effective as like, mildly pleasant background music, it’s too dry to be emotional, it’s too light to properly crush, it’s too basic to be technically impressive… even if it had vocals, I don’t think it’d really ad much?

It’s like… they know what rock and metal are, what they’re supposed to sound like, and they have ideas for melodies, ideas for riffs, ideas for grooves, but everything is understood only on a technical level rather than an emotional level. So the end result is a perfectly inoffensive song that just completely lacks in ambition or purpose. I dunno what to do with it.

6/10

Luke: Cave In – Amaranthine

Oh, you were so smug about this, bragging about stealing this song from Buddy. Hope the completely lukewarm (hah) result was worth it? :lol Like, as far as butt-kicking rockers go, I like this more than the weaker ones from round 1, but like… it’s still kinda one-note and mindless in the same ways. Like, yep, that sure is a riff alright. A solid riff. Singular.

The funny thing is, I’m actually not sure there ever was a point this would’ve done much for me, actually? I’ve been into metal for half my life, but not, like… this kind. The straightforward, riff-driven “ooga booga we are cavemen watch us ROCK” type of rock and metal. It’s never been my thing!

Judging this as a no thoughts head empty rocker… it’s fine, it’s got energy, it’s not actually just the one riff (even if it really does feel like it), but it’s just not something I’m ever inclined to particularly, like… notice? Care about? Not really much else to say about it!

6/10

Litho: Abstract Void – Beyond the Horizon

See, this kind of band is why I’m always wary of those gimmicky “X genre crossed with metal” bands. Sometimes it really works – particularly loved Primeval Well’s blend of gothic country and black metal back in 2021 – and sometimes you get bands like Abstract Void, where the idea started and stopped at the phrase “what if synthwave and black metal, lmao”.

For one… I gotta be honest, I think this specific kind of synth tone is one I never find meshes well with metal? It always overpowers it – which it’s definitely doing here, yeah. The chemistry just isn’t there. And it also just feels very… cookie cutter. The most basic synthwave ideas mixed with the most basic, bland blackgaze. Where none of it sounds… bad, just, uninspiring.

Functionally, this really isn’t that different from the Russian Circles song – it knows what it’s trying to be but only understands it on a technical level – I just, like these sounds a bit more. Like, this at least has energy, texture, atmosphere, there’s something to it, but I’m just not very impressed by it either.

6.5/10

HOF: Dim Gray – Meridian

I feel like this is the Anhedonia of this round, where it sounds friggin’ beautiful, super lush pianos and pretty soundscapes, but it kinda… lacks for any hook or momentum? It’s at least got a bit more of a pulse to it, there is a slow build throughout, but then there’s no, real… payoff? It runs on, never hits a climax, refuses to elaborate, and then leaves.

It definitely sounds too lovely to be anything less than good, I enjoy listening to it more than all the songs below it, but the fact that I completely forget what it sounds like the moment it ends means this is also as high up as it was ever gonna go. Like… at least I kind of remember what Anhedonia sounds like? This doesn’t even really give me that and I don’t even know what else to say about it beyond that… it’s nice!

7/10

Reaper: Lucy Rose – Question It All

Actually I lied, this is the Anhedonia of this round. Really pretty tune that sounds really good, lovely vocals, lush soundscapes, but MAN I wish it went somewhere. The groove never really changes, there’s not really an element of dynamics to it. But in this case, I do at least kind of remember what it sounds like even when I’m not listening to it – it’s got an actual hook, thank god!

It’s not something I can quite draw a parallel to, either… the low-key but kinda frantic drum groove, the warm bass tone, it’s not “indie singer songwriter girl”-core, that’s for sure. It’s maybe not as lush as Anhedonia, or Meridian, but having an actual sense of melody to it gives it the edge over those songs for me.

I’m also not quite sure what… exactly the song is about, even when reading the lyrics? Feels a bit abstract and vague, but, ehh, whatever. It’s just… a nice little moment. Not one that sticks with me but it makes me smile when I listen to it, and that’s good enough for me.

7/10

Ariich: Hundred Reasons – Broken Hands

Both my immediate and continued impressions of this are that it’s targeting my post-hardcore bias, which… well, yeah, that’s a good play here, but it may be the victim of poor timing. ‘Cause I’ve been listening to a LOT of the genre recently, and especially a lot of my all-time favorites, and that makes it incredibly obvious that this isn’t quite what I look for in the genre, or even really… part of the genre at all, honestly?

Like, the riffs and guitar tone don’t quite have that edge to ‘em, the vocal timbre isn’t quite what I’m looking for, it’s a bit too “mainstream rock”, basically. It’s a brand of “sheer competence that doesn’t really go beyond” that keeps it from really exciting me. It doesn’t compare to the Alexisonfire song from last round, anyways.

Which, not to be too down on what is a pretty fun little banger. The groove is solid, the hook’s pretty catchy, it’s fun to jam along to, and it’s a nice little straightforward palette cleanser in between the weirder and screwier submissions here, it’s firmly good, just… in a way that doesn’t really stand out, keeps it towards the middle of the pack for me. Still cool though, so, eh!

7/10

Stadler: Blues Traveler – Escaping

Oh hey, yeah, these are the guys who did Run-Around! I know that one! Shockingly, it seems like they have other songs. And I’m getting the impression that your submissions this roulette are all gonna amount to “songs that are not quite my style that I still enjoy a fair bit”, ‘cause, yeah, this is nice!

The vocals are maybe a bit rough, but at the same time… man’s really putting his all into his performance, especially towards the end, and it does land for me, yeah. The bassline’s also a touch loud, stands out a bit too much in the mix, but then on the other hand, you’ve got some cool sitar and harmonica solos, that’s a cool and unique combo! This has personality, and that goes a long way!

I dunno, I just kinda like the vibe of this one, y’know? It’s not really doing much to elevate itself above a pretty normal state of goodness, but it’s the first song in this round I could see myself actively wanting to revisit and the first that genuinely makes me feel something. Maybe I appreciate it just that little bit extra for it.

7.5/10

Tomi: Killing Joke – Love Like Blood

My immediate reaction upon hearing this was “oh, so this is the alternate universe fascination street?” Which is obviously not quite accurate, but it’s close enough to get the idea of what I mean – kind of upbeat, groovy tune from a gothy post-punk band with a really lush atmosphere backing it up.

This one was a mild grower for me – ended up not feeling that special at first and maybe a bit locked into its one and only groove, but there’s enough going on and it’s plenty memorable enough that I ended up liking it more than I expected to by the end. It’s catchy as sin, that goes a long way.

It’s still not blowing me away – I wouldn’t pick this over most Disintegration songs, my preference in this lane is still for the moodier, downtempo tunes like those after all, and the way it kinda just… stops, instead of properly ending, has always kinda irked me, but that’s like, minor gripes for what’s remained a pretty cool and enjoyable little tune.

7.5/10

TAC: Reliqa – I Don't Know What I Am

It’s impossible for me to ignore it. This song is so… lame. So, so LAME. There’s no way around the fact that it’s edgy teenager music for edgy teenagers, and I’d know, because I was an edgy teenager once. Picking just the right djent and alt-metal aspects with a bit of wacky energy to be laser targeted at a very specific demographic.

Anyways, now that we’ve acknowledged that… it do kinda slap tho? It’s unhinged and kinda delightful, it’s stupid but it’s kinda having too much fun with itself for me to care that much? The vocals are expressive, the weird electronic detours are neat, the riffs go pretty hard, I dunno, it’s dumb fun for sure but sometimes dumb fun is okay.

I’m not sure it’s something I’d check out an entire album of – I think the one song is more than enough for me here – and it did still kinda shrink on me the more I listened to it – didn’t hold up to replays nearly as well as I expected, basically – but I’m still glad I heard it. Even if I’m definitely no longer part of the target audience for it, lol.

7.5/10

Vmadera: Silversun Pickups – Empty Nest

I’ve known this band for basically as long as I’ve been aware of the rock and metal scene, thanks to guitar hero – Lazy Eye being a particular favorite, but There’s No Secrets This Year is pretty cool too. Looks like I was sent Panic Switch in an earlier roulette as well, though I don’t remember that one quite as well (or what score I gave it). Point is, there’s a history for me here!

This is a lot more recent than any of that, though, and you can kinda tell… it doesn’t come quite as naturally as it used to. The vocals in particular sound a bit weirdly forced and twee (maybe digitally pitched up?) compared to what I’m used to, but I did get used to it over time, and like, the tune itself is cool enough to pick up the pace.

There’s like, three different grooves here that are pretty cool, too. That postchorus bit is probably my favorite of the bunch, but it’s just… pleasant and fun, front to back. It’s kinda incredible how far the simple act of “having a groove” can go for you! Like, there’s an upper limit to how far this kind of standard… indie rock? Groove? Goes, but, I dig it regardless.

7.5/10

Dacul: The Microphones – The Glow, Pt. 2

It was pretty funny watching people in the thread react to this pick as if it was the worst possible thing to send, only for it to end up as one of the higher ranking songs in the round and a notable improvement over your round one submission at that. Y’all don’t know me very well, it turns out! That’s what makes this fun!

And I gotta ask. Did you mean to save this for the weird round? ‘Cause like… “what if that Fleet Foxes song from round 1 was clinically insane?” was a question nobody asked, but I quite like the answer, it turns out. The weird noise rock intro, the folksy acoustic bits, and especially the ambient middle bit… they all have their own charm, even if I’m not quite sure they all… belong? Together? It’s a bit of a mess, but a compelling mess.

Like, I think the song is more “neat” and “fascinating” than it is good, but boy howdy is it ever fascinating. Not sure the lyrics actually mean much to me or that they sell the emotional tug the song’s trying to have, and its weirdness makes it not as repeatedly engaging as a more cohesive song would be, but I still ended up enjoying it more than a lot of the other songs this round, so!

7.5/10

Buddy: Greet Death – You're Gonna Hate What You've Done

So when I say this is “shaped like a song I’d like”… comforting sounds. I meant Comforting Sounds. It is shaped like Comforting Sounds. Mellow, vocal-driven front half that explodes into a big, post-rock-y instrumental back half to release all the built up tension and really pay off the slow build.

But this is no Comforting Sounds. I mean, for one… what’s up with the weird pitched-up vocals? I don’t get it. I don’t get the point of them and they don’t sound very good, which is weird because the normal vocals sound pretty good? Why did they do that? The back half is also… good, in a not particularly spectacular or noteworthy way. Like, I enjoy listening to it, but it’s…pretty easy for it to fade into the background.

For the longest song in the round, one that admittedly does feel a liiiittle drawn out… it’s kinda hard for me to say much more about this? I could see it still growing on me, but right now, I don’t love it, just like it. It’s nice but it’s unspecial in its lane, I think is my ultimate conclusion. Just. Pretty good.

7.5/10

King: This Day & Age – More of a Climb, Less of a Walk

Okay, I’ve gotten another song off this album in a previous roulette and I remember liking it, but… it probably wasn’t as good as this one? This is kind of the Bend Sinister of this round – very cool indie/emo-leaning pop rock with a lot of different parts to it in a way that I can definitely see appealing to the progheads, and it’s… really good! Neat little breakup song I somewhat feel and just… cooler music than most other songs in the round.

It’s kind of in a weird place where I don’t really love love any parts of this – the hook is good but maybe not particularly memorable, the riffs and melodies have punch and color but I’ve heard better, it’s maybe a bit more cohesive than the Bend Sinister song but lacking in the highs that one had. But it’s just at such a baseline quality that its lack of any outstanding moments doesn’t really harm it?

I think I’m rating it up this high simply because, of every song in the round, even the ones I like more than it, it’s the one I wanted to listen to the most out of the entire bunch, the one I can see myself coming back to more than any other song here, and that’s really something I value highly. Replayability. Lasting impact. Something a roulette often can struggle to deliver upon, but no, this song definitely has it and I definitely need to check out this album sometime, yeah.

8/10

Seneca: Leonard Cohen – Famous Blue Raincoat

Not to self-advertise but I covered another song from this same album in a recent video and, even giving it more real estate than most every other song in that video, I still felt like I was barely scratching the surface of Cohen’s writing, and… yeah, that’s how I feel writing a short little three paragraph blurb about the song here, too. There’s no way to make it thorough or satisfying.

I uhh. The big part of the appeal here is the interesting twist on what is, essentially, a “cheating/love-triangle” type song where it starts off fairly standard, but with a weirdly polite tone, and as it goes on, there’s a sense of… insecurity, of Cohen having realized that his wife is happier with her new lover than she ever was with him, that maybe he was the one holding her back, and the best thing to do is… to let her go, for her sake, and maybe for his, too. It’s… heavy, in a mellow way.

Musically, it’s as bare-bones as I’d expect, but Cohen is such an expressive singer that he can pretty much carry a song on his own, and there’s a melody in the chorus that The Paper Chase might’ve accidentally ripped off and I really like that melody, so it gets a buff on that aspect, too. Which, yeah it’s a lot more tuneful than Dress Rehearsal Rag, albeit maybe not quite as emotionally evocative, but like… still pretty damn good either way, y’know?

8/10

Puppies: Janelle Monáe – Come Alive (War of the Roses)

Ready to get a ton of weird looks from the oldhead crowd for thinking this is plainly and obviously the best song of the roulette so far, because this is left-field amongst.. *gestures at every other song in this round*, but like… Janelle is our nonbinary monarch, now and forever, where else was I gonna put them?

Like, yeah, I already knew this one, in that I had listened to it before, like… twice, which is not exactly enough to really get into how FRICKIN’ BONKERS this song is, JESUS CHRIST. It’s definitely fitting that a song about feeling crazy goes so crazy, innit? There’s SO much packed into this three and a half minute song that it’s practically unreal.

..and then they just start SCREAMING! YEEEAAAAHHH!!!

Like, this is the kind of upbeat tune that I do have to be in a groovy mood to jam along to, but I’m in that mood more often than not these days and even when I’m not… well, this goes so damn hard that it’s capable of putting me in that mood anyways. Just a goddamn great song, man, I dunno what else to say!

8.5/10

Standings:
Buddy – 15.5
King – 15.5
TAC – 15.5
ariich – 15
Seneca – 15
HOF – 14.5
Puppies – 14.5
Stadler – 14.5
Tomislav – 14.5
Vmadera – 14.5
Dacul – 13.5
Litho – 13.5
Luke – 13.5
Reaper – 13.5
Lonestar – 12.5
Faizoff – 12

let’s get round 3 in before the weekend! non rock/metal round, y’all! guitars are legal in other genres I’m not gonna be that much of a stickler but we all know what a rock song sounds like right?  expecting this to be a shorter round so hopefully it won’t take quite as long to get through?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - ROUND 2 RESULTS!
« Reply #476 on: May 02, 2023, 05:40:06 PM »
Awesome!!  It is an excellent album Crow. I'd assume you know who this band turned into?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #477 on: May 02, 2023, 05:42:09 PM »
If you think this song is lame, wait till you hear Round 3.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #478 on: May 02, 2023, 06:01:01 PM »
Oh, you were so smug about this, bragging about stealing this song from Buddy. Hope the completely lukewarm (hah) result was worth it? :lol Like, as far as butt-kicking rockers go, I like this more than the weaker ones from round 1, but like… it’s still kinda one-note and mindless in the same ways. Like, yep, that sure is a riff alright. A solid riff. Singular.

Damn fucking right! :lol To be fair though, I would have went for a different song for exactly that reason. Amaranthine is a good simple rocker, but it's definitely not my favorite on that album and I would have sent something like the title track or the closer which I think you'd enjoy much more. But a fair amount of the album is in the style of Amaranthine so it might not be for you. It's a great album though, worth at least one listen.

But this is no Comforting Sounds. I mean, for one… what’s up with the weird pitched-up vocals? I don’t get it. I don’t get the point of them and they don’t sound very good, which is weird because the normal vocals sound pretty good? Why did they do that?

Oof, that's not pitched up, that's just the second vocalist. :rollin I actually like him more than the lower-pitched vocalist, though he does shine more on songs where he sings the entire thing.

I'll take the decently-positive reception, and I still think you should give the whole album it's from a listen because you might find songs you enjoy more! It's pretty varied and most of the songs are much shorter. Also I'm fucking desperate to not be the only Greet Death fan on here besides Zantera, if you couldn't tell.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 06:28:26 PM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #479 on: May 02, 2023, 06:44:30 PM »
Hell yeah.  :tup :tup That album along with his first are two of my favorite recent discoveries. Big props to Ruslan for introducing me to You Want it Darker

I'll try to send within the next 24 hours

Offline HOF

« Reply #480 on: May 02, 2023, 06:54:27 PM »
Well that turned out well enough despite the write up! For what it’s worth, that song is the payoff for the run of songs leading up to it (and the album). It makes a little more sense in the context of the album.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #481 on: May 02, 2023, 07:03:39 PM »
Well on my way to my first 4/10.   :tup

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #482 on: May 02, 2023, 07:07:40 PM »
Well shit...

Guess there's a certain freedom to shitting the bed in such epic fashion, now I feel free to send whatever the fuck I want without worrying about tanking my score. :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #483 on: May 02, 2023, 07:15:11 PM »
I know, right? 

I'll probably still try for a few more rounds, but if Crow's tastes remain as incompatible with mine as I worried they might be, man, I'm kind of excited about what I could send in the final rounds...    Maybe they'll get 8s and 9s and I just have my strategy all backwards.   :rollin

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #484 on: May 02, 2023, 07:16:35 PM »
OK I sent, this should fare better.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #485 on: May 02, 2023, 07:33:54 PM »
Awesome!!  It is an excellent album Crow. I'd assume you know who this band turned into?
looking it up, the reign of kindo apparently.

...i like them significantly less  :lol like they're okay, i think i saw them live at a concert for other bands i was more interested in at one point, just never quite did it for me

Oof, that's not pitched up, that's just the second vocalist. :rollin

...impressed that man's managed to sound exactly like a pitched up version of the other dude, then.
also fwiw i think i did try listening to that cave in album when it dropped bcuz i recognize the album art, and i definitely did not finish it, so

Well shit...

Guess there's a certain freedom to shitting the bed in such epic fashion, now I feel free to send whatever the fuck I want without worrying about tanking my score. :lol

for what it's worth, 5.5 on my scale is "it's alright"
not even bad or mediocre just "kinda decent innit"

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #486 on: May 02, 2023, 07:38:07 PM »
Sent!

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #487 on: May 02, 2023, 07:48:46 PM »
Oof, that's not pitched up, that's just the second vocalist. :rollin

...impressed that man's managed to sound exactly like a pitched up version of the other dude, then.

That's the power of friendship.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #488 on: May 02, 2023, 07:52:32 PM »
What is up with that though?  So many bands have two vocalists who sound similar.  Paul McCartney and John Lennon in The Beatles, Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins in Genesis, Jacob Hansen and Henrik Fevre in Anubis Gate, probably lots of other examples if I thought about it longer. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #489 on: May 02, 2023, 07:57:21 PM »
Sent.  You're gonna need a lower rating scale, I'm breakin' the bottom of this one...