Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Guitarists countdown thread! (Top 2 featured!!)  (Read 37878 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Top 25 Favorite Guitarists countdown thread! (lists due by 04/15!!)
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2023, 12:55:04 PM »
I've got my list sorted and will send soon.

I'm not surprised by this, but a lot of the guitarists that made my list, especially near the top of the list, play guitar but also sing in their bands (and often lead vocals). I've always found this ability to be incredibly impressive, and it definitely factors into my admiration for a guitarist and their work, if they can do it whilst also thinking about singing!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2023, 01:19:32 PM »
Here's one for ya.. Does anyone else have a #1 guitarist who they wouldn't consider the most skilled player on their list?

Like, we may consider JP the best technically, but our #1 isn't JP

I'm guessing Petrucci will be the most skilled guy on my list, but I doubt he'll be #1.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2023, 01:26:05 PM »

I'm not surprised by this, but a lot of the guitarists that made my list, especially near the top of the list, play guitar but also sing in their bands (and often lead vocals). I've always found this ability to be incredibly impressive, and it definitely factors into my admiration for a guitarist and their work, if they can do it whilst also thinking about singing!
Not sell them short, but I can sing and play guitar at the same time (and sing and play drums), so if I can do it, it can't be that hard lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2023, 01:30:26 PM »

Not sell them short, but I can sing and play guitar at the same time (and sing and play drums), so if I can do it, it can't be that hard lol

Fair play to you dude. I can't even play an instrument full stop  :lol
It's not necessarily the playing and singing that impresses me, it's more that the music they're playing is so technical that it's impressive they can anything other than concentrate on that!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2023, 01:40:36 PM »

You know what?  I can't.  Almost at all, though I can busk.  Others can't either (I understand that both David Lee Roth and Robert Plant are reasonably accomplished guitarists but can't really do both with any high proficiency on stage, especially when standing next to guys like Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2023, 01:46:16 PM »
It'd be in the category of a guitarist also being an excellent drummer, keyboard player, graphic artist, etc.  It may add to my overall admiration for them, but doesn't specifically make them a better guitarist. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2023, 01:49:36 PM »
It'd be in the category of a guitarist also being an excellent drummer, keyboard player, graphic artist, etc.  It may add to my overall admiration for them, but doesn't specifically make them a better guitarist.

No, but it can affect my overall admiration of them, which in turn means I like them more, which is why we're all here, to list our personal favourites. For me, all that is important when ranking my favourites, because it's part of what makes them my favourites.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2023, 01:58:27 PM »

But you're..... You're Hef...

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2023, 02:07:49 PM »
If anyone's looking for inspiration, I just Googled "top 100 guitarists" and here's Rolling Stone's take:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-153675/lindsey-buckingham-39147/

Lindsey Buckingham ranked lower than the Sex Pistols guy physically pained me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2023, 02:18:02 PM »
If anyone's looking for inspiration, I just Googled "top 100 guitarists" and here's Rolling Stone's take:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-153675/lindsey-buckingham-39147/

As was Alex Lifeson. And the funny thing?  Number #94 (Peter Buck), ahead of all of them, would most likely call bullshit on the whole thing too.

EDIT:  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.  Johnny Greenw-  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ood, from Radiohead, better than, oh my god HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Ritchie Bla- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ckmore.   HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  I can't stand it!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 02:28:45 PM by Stadler »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2023, 02:23:29 PM »

I've been playing guitar (mediocrely) for 20 years or more. To this day I can't do more than a basic strum and sing at the same time. Maybe MAYBE I can finger pick a bit of Fade to Black while singing, but that's it. It is damn hard. I know some people can do it no problem, but it's definitely not just a thing people can do.

But as RJ pointed out....you're Hef.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2023, 02:33:06 PM »

I've been playing guitar (mediocrely) for 20 years or more. To this day I can't do more than a basic strum and sing at the same time. Maybe MAYBE I can finger pick a bit of Fade to Black while singing, but that's it. It is damn hard. I know some people can do it no problem, but it's definitely not just a thing people can do.

It really explains everything Hef related, doesn't it?

Offline Kram

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2023, 02:36:55 PM »

As was Alex Lifeson. And the funny thing?  Number #94 (Peter Buck), ahead of all of them, would most likely call bullshit on the whole thing too.

EDIT:  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.  Johnny Greenw-  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ood, from Radiohead, better than, oh my god HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Ritchie Bla- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ckmore.   HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  I can't stand it!
Dude, don't even get me started.  That list is a complete joke!! 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2023, 02:54:39 PM »
I mean, I guess I could lower it to 15 if enough people insist, but I am stunned that most cannot easily get to 25.

Noooo!!! I started putting my list together and I'm already at 40 or so :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2023, 02:56:41 PM »
Will letting people only submit 15 skew the results?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2023, 03:12:37 PM »
Look, I'll say it again: if I could come up with a Metallica list, you guys can squat down 25 guitar players.   Please. 

EDIT:  Hell, just list all the guys Mike has played with and you're 90% there.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2023, 03:16:46 PM »
Look, I'll say it again: if I could come up with a Metallica list, you guys can squat down 25 guitar players.   Please. 

Right? Shit, I got three Japanese guitarists I had to leave off my lists...it's not that hard man. And as expected, as the thread goes on, I keep having those 'oh shit, how could I forget him/her!!!' moments, and someone else gets bumped.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2023, 03:44:54 PM »

Hey, I already said let it rest. Sorry I didn't just PM him the question.  :lol

For my part, the list is "favourites," and that carries some weight with me. I can name a ton of guitarists I like. I could rank a ton of guitarists by which I think is the best. To my mind there just needs to be a little something more than "yeah, he's really good" to be included in my favourites category. Perhaps I'm being a little anal, but while I like Tipton and Downing I don't know as I'd say they're favourites of mine (and one of the Maiden guys certainly is).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2023, 05:06:02 PM »
I'd guess at least half my list won't see the top 25...and am actually curious if any women will make the final list. I tentatively got 5 on my list at the moment.

I'm curious if any classical guitarists will make the final list. I'm guessing none.

My problem with classical guitarists is that I know pieces of music more than I know the actual performers.

But this led me to something.  I was looking at the Wikipedia page for Albeniz's Asturias (in E minor), and it contained the following comment:  "Iron Maiden quotes Asturias in their songs Mother Russia and To Tame A Land."  I agree about Mother Russia, but To Tame a Land?  I'm super familiar with TTAL and pretty familiar with Asturias, but I wonder if anyone more familiar with Asturias would agree (I assume whoever added this to Wiki is referring to the section of TTAL starting at 4:05).  I just don't really hear it (and I doubt, that, in 1983, Steve Harris was familiar with Asturias).

You just saved me from an embarrassing omission on my list!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2023, 05:36:49 PM »
Will letting people only submit 15 skew the results?

I did not change it.  It is 25.  Only lists with 25 will be accepted.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2023, 05:51:30 PM »
I have my list but I think I'll sit on it a bit to just make sure I haven't left anyone really obvious out. I definitely know who my absolute favourites are but then I need to really think about it.

Like the favourite singers list, this one could end up as anything with an unlimited list of guitarists to choose from. Looking at my own list, if more than 10 of mine end up on the overall top 25 I'd be surprised.

Also, with favourites it actually doesn't mean 'best or greatest'. So how we all individually define that will also have an impact.

Offline HOF

« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2023, 05:55:34 PM »
I think probably 75% of what goes into my rankings of a guitarist is in the soloing (though some portion of that is overall tone). Which kind of rules out guys who don’t really solo, but the solos are where the personality is for most guitarists. I can certainly appreciate other aspects of playing, and there are some guys who I appreciate for their rhythm playing or finger style, etc., but the separator is usually the soloing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2023, 06:00:05 PM »
Heck, I got one dude on my list primarily because a solo of his has been my ringtone for over 10 years... I figured that earned him a spot for sure...   :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2023, 06:05:44 PM »
I think probably 75% of what goes into my rankings of a guitarist is in the soloing (though some portion of that is overall tone). Which kind of rules out guys who don’t really solo, but the solos are where the personality is for most guitarists. I can certainly appreciate other aspects of playing, and there are some guys who I appreciate for their rhythm playing or finger style, etc., but the separator is usually the soloing.

Yeah, I have some people that I really enjoy as mostly rhythm players, but I just don't think I'm gonna be able to justify many if any of them for a top 25.  Maybe a top 200.  Although "soloing" is rather fluid, there's a variety of less traditional ways to go about it. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2023, 07:13:21 PM »
I'm only gonna get more spun staring at the list in my word file...sent...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2023, 07:56:25 PM »

Yeah, I have some people that I really enjoy as mostly rhythm players, but I just don't think I'm gonna be able to justify many if any of them for a top 25.  Maybe a top 200.  Although "soloing" is rather fluid, there's a variety of less traditional ways to go about it.

I have two rhythm players on my list and a third who is more of a hybrid but he's on my list primarily because of his rhythm playing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2023, 08:25:48 PM »
Sent!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2023, 06:06:27 AM »

Hey, I already said let it rest. Sorry I didn't just PM him the question.  :lol

For my part, the list is "favourites," and that carries some weight with me. I can name a ton of guitarists I like. I could rank a ton of guitarists by which I think is the best. To my mind there just needs to be a little something more than "yeah, he's really good" to be included in my favourites category. Perhaps I'm being a little anal, but while I like Tipton and Downing I don't know as I'd say they're favourites of mine (and one of the Maiden guys certainly is).

Haha, I'm just busting balls, Bart.  I do get it.  And I'm with you; I won't be listing anyone just because "eh, they're decent".   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2023, 06:12:53 AM »
7 lists so far, 107 guitarists already listed!  And away we go!!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2023, 06:33:43 AM »

It really explains everything Hef related, doesn't it?
Well, shit.  Didn't think about it like that.

Of course, on guitar I'm not playing jazz chords or solos while singing.  I'm strictly a rhythm player.

Does it mean anything that when I play guitar, I'm thinking like a drummer, and when I'm drumming, I'm thinking like a guitar player?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2023, 07:03:24 AM »

I have two rhythm players on my list and a third who is more of a hybrid but he's on my list primarily because of his rhythm playing.

You can't have all three IM axemen as a single entry!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2023, 07:07:56 AM »
I'm not sure I can do this.

Ditto. I really dig a lot of different guitarists equally for their personal style. I'm not sure I could really choose one over another. I'll have to think about it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2023, 08:58:33 AM »
Aaaaand I just remembered a guitarist who totally should've made my list...

Offline Duetsch Dream Dates

• Rocky Mountain High!
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2023, 10:19:46 AM »
I'm gonna need a whole weekend just to come up with some kind of rubric

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2023, 11:03:20 AM »
My first draft has 38 guitarists.