Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Guitarists countdown thread! (Top 2 featured!!)  (Read 46263 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Top 25 Favorite Guitarists countdown thread! (Top 2 featured!!)
« Reply #1260 on: April 28, 2023, 06:26:30 PM »
Cool. Who's Bill Kelliher now?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1261 on: April 28, 2023, 06:31:03 PM »
Guitarist from Mastodon.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1262 on: April 28, 2023, 06:33:59 PM »
25 Joe Satriani
24 Steve Vai
23 Michael Sweet
22 Chris Degarmo
21 Vivian Campbell
20 Gary Holt
19 Roger Fisher
18 Ritchie Blackmore
17 George Lynch
16 Kirk Hammett
15 Eddie Van Halen
14 Matthias Jabs
13 Uli Jon Roth
12 Dave Murray
11 KK Downing
10 Dave Mustaine
9 Michael Schenker
8 Tony Iommi
7 Wolf Hoffman
6 Adrian Smith
5 Akira Takasaki
4 Glenn Tipton
3 Michael Romeo
2 James Hetfield
1 John Petrucci

Who else besides me had Akira Takasaki or was I the only one? He had 40 points. I guess I was the only voter for Roger Fisher.

Nice list! I should've had Akira. There's a few I missed and he's one. Nice on Romeo at 3!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1263 on: April 28, 2023, 06:40:00 PM »
Cool. Who's Bill Kelliher now?

I wouldn't worry about it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1264 on: April 28, 2023, 06:50:21 PM »
Man, Steve Rothery got done dirty in this countdown. He would have been top 5 for me.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1265 on: April 28, 2023, 06:52:42 PM »
Man, Steve Rothery got done dirty in this countdown. He would have been top 5 for me.

He would have been on the list if you had submitted one! (It’s all good, just playing).

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1266 on: April 28, 2023, 06:54:33 PM »

He would have been on the list if you had submitted one! (It’s all good, just playing).
I wish I had. I started compiling one, then life got in the way. Oh well. If there's a drummer list, there's no way I'm missing that one.

Offline coz

« Reply #1267 on: April 28, 2023, 07:21:06 PM »
 :metal Virtual high five to Fonzie for listing Vernon Reid
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #1268 on: April 28, 2023, 07:41:38 PM »

The solo on Easter is certainly in my top 5.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: April 28, 2023, 08:40:39 PM »
Home and posting my final list:

25. Joe Satriani
24. Don Ross
23. Mikael Akerfeldt - Huge fan of his writing style
22. Mark Tremonti - Loved him since Creed, always loved his riffs, tone isn't the best IMO
21. Nathaniel Murphy - Simply unreal guitar player on instagram. Realeased a single solo album that is also incredible, his cover of "Come As You Are" is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlKh1TTxTLU
20. Erik Mongrain - Really abstract acoustic guitar player, if you've heard of Don Ross then it's as if Don Ross took a load of mushrooms before picking up the guitar
19. Eddie Van Halen
18. Jerry Cantrell
17. Steve Vai
16. Nick Lee - One of my favorite guitar players, plays for Moon Tooth and has some of the most unique metal riffs around.
15. Darrell Lance Abbott
14. Tosin Abasi - Guitar player for Animals As Leaders, djent doesn't get better than Tosin
13. Jakub Zytecki - Another really unique guitar player that perfectly blends elements of EDM with some technical playing layered on top
12. Alex Lifeson
11. James Hetfield
10. Ola Englund
9. Adam Jones - Not the most technically proficient guitar player but a huge impact on me when I was first getting into guitar
8. Mark Knopfler
7. Kaki King
6. Michael Kelsey - Probably one of the most technically gifted players on my list, just effortless playing
5. Mark Engles - Dredg's guitar player and amazing at building lush soundscapes with the guitar. His stuff is also deceptively difficult to play
4. David Gilmour
3. John Petrucci
2. Mike Einzinger - Guitar player for Incubus. His ability to craft beautiful guitar tones unparrel and his riffs are simple yet beautiful. He can also really fucking play although he rarely shows it off. The first couple Incubus records has some really tasty soloing.
1. Guthrie Govan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1270 on: April 28, 2023, 09:41:41 PM »
I seriously considered Tosin and Aaron Marshal from Intervals, both those guys are ridiculously good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: April 28, 2023, 09:52:39 PM »
My list...

25) Ronnie Le Tekro.
24) Angus Young.
23) Michael Sweet.
22) Uli Jon Roth.
21) Vinnie Vincent.
20) Vivian Campbell.
19) Zakk Wylde.
18) Neal Schon.
17) Jason Becker.
16) James Hetfield.
15) Glenn Tipton.
14) Alex Lifeson.
13) Dave Mustaine.
12) Michael Romeo.
11) George Lynch.
10) Warren Demartini.
9)  Eddie Van Halen.
8)  John Sykes.
7)  Jim Matheos.
6)  Phil Collen.
5)  Steve Vai.
4)  Yngwie Malmsteen.
3)  Jake E. Lee.
2)  John Petrucci.
1)  Randy Rhoads.

My list would've been very different to anything I've seen listed but if there's one where the general "vibe" is closest to my taste then this one gets it.

Nice work ranking Jake so high .........doesn't get enough props for his work with Ozzy especially.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: April 28, 2023, 09:54:44 PM »
I seriously considered Tosin and Aaron Marshal from Intervals, both those guys are ridiculously good.

Javier Reyes is also really good, I love the stuff he does with Mestis and I love his 8-string classic stuff, I wish there was more of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-JfPkV74mc

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1273 on: April 28, 2023, 10:03:26 PM »

Javier Reyes is also really good, I love the stuff he does with Mestis and I love his 8-string classic stuff, I wish there was more of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-JfPkV74mc

Damn impressive...brings to mind the 'other side' of Greg Burgess from Allegaeon. He presents this brutal death metal stuff which is technically mind blowing, but underneath it is this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwQPC-a4xk0&ab_channel=GacharicSpin%E3%80%90%E3%82%AC%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3%E3%81%A3%E3%81%A8TV%E3%80%91

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: April 28, 2023, 10:11:24 PM »
It's a no brainer question for me when asked who my favorite is. It's not even close tbh. And his technical chops should definitely not be underestimated, the dude can seriously play. He'll never even come close to being the shredder or soloist that some of these other guys are, but the weight his playing brought to some of the greatest rock tunes ever cannot be underestimated, and counter that with how unbelievably sublime he is when he works an acoustic guitar. When I saw his solo show, he did a five song segment of just him and an acoustic, and watching him perform Drowned by himself....just speechless man.

Found a clip of it...

https://youtu.be/cpjwE1_IJUw

Big Who fan here, and love me some Quadrophenia. Thanks for posting that video.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1275 on: April 28, 2023, 10:37:42 PM »
It's a no brainer question for me when asked who my favorite is. It's not even close tbh. And his technical chops should definitely not be underestimated, the dude can seriously play. He'll never even come close to being the shredder or soloist that some of these other guys are, but the weight his playing brought to some of the greatest rock tunes ever cannot be underestimated, and counter that with how unbelievably sublime he is when he works an acoustic guitar. When I saw his solo show, he did a five song segment of just him and an acoustic, and watching him perform Drowned by himself....just speechless man.

Found a clip of it...

https://youtu.be/cpjwE1_IJUw

Big Who fan here, and love me some Quadrophenia. Thanks for posting that video.

My pleasure, he has so many hidden gems like this.

Offline Animal

« Reply #1276 on: April 28, 2023, 11:46:21 PM »
No need to say much about Petrucci. my n. 6.  He was a lock to be n. 1 by comfortable margin as DT is the only band here we all like. I didn't expect this level of unanimous admiration thought. But it is well deserved.
Didn't rank EVH. Van Halen were never that big here in Central Europe, I just don't really know their stuff.

My complete list. I started off as a classical guitarist and played acoustic most of my life. The list reflect that.

25) Karel Plihal No way. Chances of anyone else here even knowing who this guy is are slimmer than Justin Bieber making the Top 25. He might be the candidate to the world¨s worst singer too. But to me, he is an epitome of how to use guitar when it's the only instrument used to accompany yourself while singing.
24) Ian Anderson No way. Almost everyone here knows this guy for his great flute playing and once great but now horrible singing. Ranking his as a guitarist might make some of you question my sanity....
23) Ritchie Blackmore
22)   Chris DeGarmo
21)   Kazuhito Yamashita Classical guitar monster and maverick. Transribed stuff like Pictures at Exhibition, New World Symphony or Firebird suite for solo guitar and made it sound good. Really pushed technical boundaries too.
20) Django Reinhardt No way. Played  stuff with 2 fingers that most players can't play with 4.
19)   Brian May
18)  Criss Oliva   Died young but doesn!t seem to get "died too young bump".
17)  Adrian Smith Why the hell did I rank Smith behind Murray?
16)  Dave Murray
15)  Stochelo Rosenberg. His acoustic guitar picking technique is just insane. He showed me how big and fat sound you can make when soloing on acoustic guitar and I owe him the discovery of massive 3.5 mm Wegen picks, which I have sworn by ever since.
14)  Mark Tremonti I thought he had a chance to make it but at this point, no way. Really admire him for his versatility and pushing his own limits (Sings Sinatra album)
13)  Eric Clapton No way. He is not even good, just overated. Plays with 4 fingers but his stuff could be easily played with 2. That being said, his MTV Unplugged was important for my transition from purely sheet-music based classical guitar stuff to pop/rock/blues.
12)   Mark Knopfler
11)  John McLaughlin. Another jazz fusion legend.
10)  Mikael Akerfledt No way. I'll just dare to guess I am not the only one to rank him. Death metal David Gimlmour.
9)    Radim Hladik No way. See 25. Had this guy been born on the other side of the iron curtain, he might have been up there with the most revered prog guitarists of all time. The best of Gilmour and Howe mixed in one player.
8)  Steve Hackett No way. A prog underdog.
7) David Gimour. I would say a lock, but with the way  this countdown is going, I mean metal kicking prog's old-fashioned and pompous ass, I am not sure.
6)   John Petrucci Yes. The only certainty of this countdown is this player making Top 1.
5) Stephan Rak A classical guitar maverick, really pushed the boundaries of possible in what is a really conservative and play it safe corner of classical music.
4)  Paco De Lucia A flamenco monster
3)  Steve Howe
2) Vicente Amigo A soulful flamenco player with tremendous clarity of tone.
1)  Al Di Meola Acoustic/jazz/fusion monster

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: April 29, 2023, 12:00:02 AM »
Good to see Criss Oliva in there Animal.

You will be up there in my Top 25 drummers list

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1278 on: April 29, 2023, 12:37:00 AM »
No need to say much about Petrucci. my n. 6.  He was a lock to be n. 1 by comfortable margin as DT is the only band here we all like. I didn't expect this level of unanimous admiration thought. But it is well deserved.
Didn't rank EVH. Van Halen were never that big here in Central Europe, I just don't really know their stuff.

My complete list. I started off as a classical guitarist and played acoustic most of my life. The list reflect that.

25) Karel Plihal No way. Chances of anyone else here even knowing who this guy is are slimmer than Justin Bieber making the Top 25. He might be the candidate to the world¨s worst singer too. But to me, he is an epitome of how to use guitar when it's the only instrument used to accompany yourself while singing.
24) Ian Anderson No way. Almost everyone here knows this guy for his great flute playing and once great but now horrible singing. Ranking his as a guitarist might make some of you question my sanity....
23) Ritchie Blackmore
22)   Chris DeGarmo
21)   Kazuhito Yamashita Classical guitar monster and maverick. Transribed stuff like Pictures at Exhibition, New World Symphony or Firebird suite for solo guitar and made it sound good. Really pushed technical boundaries too.
20) Django Reinhardt No way. Played  stuff with 2 fingers that most players can't play with 4.
19)   Brian May
18)  Criss Oliva   Died young but doesn!t seem to get "died too young bump".
17)  Adrian Smith Why the hell did I rank Smith behind Murray?
16)  Dave Murray
15)  Stochelo Rosenberg. His acoustic guitar picking technique is just insane. He showed me how big and fat sound you can make when soloing on acoustic guitar and I owe him the discovery of massive 3.5 mm Wegen picks, which I have sworn by ever since.
14)  Mark Tremonti I thought he had a chance to make it but at this point, no way. Really admire him for his versatility and pushing his own limits (Sings Sinatra album)
13)  Eric Clapton No way. He is not even good, just overated. Plays with 4 fingers but his stuff could be easily played with 2. That being said, his MTV Unplugged was important for my transition from purely sheet-music based classical guitar stuff to pop/rock/blues.
12)   Mark Knopfler
11)  John McLaughlin. Another jazz fusion legend.
10)  Mikael Akerfledt No way. I'll just dare to guess I am not the only one to rank him. Death metal David Gimlmour.
9)    Radim Hladik No way. See 25. Had this guy been born on the other side of the iron curtain, he might have been up there with the most revered prog guitarists of all time. The best of Gilmour and Howe mixed in one player.
8)  Steve Hackett No way. A prog underdog.
7) David Gimour. I would say a lock, but with the way  this countdown is going, I mean metal kicking prog's old-fashioned and pompous ass, I am not sure.
6)   John Petrucci Yes. The only certainty of this countdown is this player making Top 1.
5) Stephan Rak A classical guitar maverick, really pushed the boundaries of possible in what is a really conservative and play it safe corner of classical music.
4)  Paco De Lucia A flamenco monster
3)  Steve Howe
2) Vicente Amigo A soulful flamenco player with tremendous clarity of tone.
1)  Al Di Meola Acoustic/jazz/fusion monster

This is an absolute gem! Nice for including these monsters.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: April 29, 2023, 01:41:42 AM »
My full list:

25. Criss Oliva Definitely a bit of a "died too young bump" but I really enjoy what he did with Savatage.
24. Eric Gillette I think I saw this guy with Shattered Fortress and he was really good. He's also great in The Neal Morse Band.
23. Paul Gilbert I included Satch and then thought hey, who was that guy he played with on G3? He was really good.
22. Joe Satriani
21. B.B. King I don't know much about that style of music, but I saw a few live recordings of him playing and thought I should put him on this list.
20. Roine Stolt I was sure he'll make this list. Huh.
19. Devin Townsend While many don't think about him as a guitarist, the dude is pretty wild. Also saw him live. Very impressive.
18. Piotr Grudziński Biggest "died too young bump" on my list.
17. Jani Liimatainen I grew up with Sonata Arctica and always thought this guy was very good.
16. Henjo Richter Big fan of his Gamma Ray and Avantasia contributions.
15. Axel Rudi Pell This guy continues to release the same album over and over, but I really loved the Knights Live DVD when I was like, 15 years old.
14. Steve Rothery How the hell he didn't make the list is a total mystery to me. Also listen to The Wishing Tree - Ostara, he's on that record too.
13. Michael Weikath Love his Helloween contributions and thought he had a good chance of making the list too.
12. Yngwie Malmsteen He's a bit of a joke now but his first three albums are classic.
11. Jimmy Page
10. Francisco Tárrega A nod to classical guitar here, I love his compositions (even if I can't really play most of them).
9. Jim Matheos
8. Tommy Emmanuel He's not a rock/metal guy so really no chance here, but since I picked up acoustic guitar two years ago, I'm endlessly fascinated by what this man does.
7. Tony Iommi
6. Kai Hansen Everything metal Kai touches, it turns to gold.
5. Guthrie Govan
4. John Petrucci
3. Ritchie Blackmore
2. Mark Knopfler
1. David Gilmour

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1280 on: April 29, 2023, 02:01:39 AM »
Some cool choices there, Ruslan!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: April 29, 2023, 05:53:08 AM »
Nice list Ruslan.  Looking back, Henson probably should have made mine.  Tasty lead player.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1282 on: April 29, 2023, 05:57:57 AM »
@Glasser - thanks, I knew I saw a kindred spirit when I saw your list.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1283 on: April 29, 2023, 06:39:20 AM »
Stolt was another I overlooked.

Also not sure how I omitted Per Nilsson, he's a fucking monstrous player. Did anyone vote for him?

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1284 on: April 29, 2023, 07:02:27 AM »
Also not sure how I omitted Per Nilsson, he's a fucking monstrous player. Did anyone vote for him?

LithoJazzoSphere must've!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1285 on: April 29, 2023, 07:03:09 AM »

Who does Per Nilsson play with?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1286 on: April 29, 2023, 07:04:15 AM »

Yes, he had Nilsson at number 3 (the only person to have him on their list).

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1287 on: April 29, 2023, 07:12:07 AM »

His penultimate instrument

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1288 on: April 29, 2023, 07:13:27 AM »

His penultimate instrument

OK twosuitsglasser

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1289 on: April 29, 2023, 07:17:59 AM »

Damn impressive...brings to mind the 'other side' of Greg Burgess from Allegaeon. He presents this brutal death metal stuff which is technically mind blowing, but underneath it is this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwQPC-a4xk0&ab_channel=GacharicSpin%E3%80%90%E3%82%AC%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3%E3%81%A3%E3%81%A8TV%E3%80%91

I wasn't sure if you meant to link Gacharic Spin (I just woke up) but gawd damn that's some playing...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1290 on: April 29, 2023, 07:25:17 AM »

I wasn't sure if you meant to link Gacharic Spin (I just woke up) but gawd damn that's some playing...

Lol nope, that was an accident, their new song that I had just shared to Facebook, guess I fucked up lol. You can see why I had Tomo Zo on my list though... (and bassist Koga would be an easy top 10 for me, she's unbelievable)...Gacharic Spin is just an insane fucking band.

Here's the Greg Burgess link..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hucg-Ru-Zgk&ab_channel=ALLEGAEON

@tim... Nilsson plays for Scar Symmetry and for Kaipa, two bands of very different styles, and he fucking kills it with both of them.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1291 on: April 29, 2023, 07:37:09 AM »
Rik Emmett is a guy that would have made my list up until recently, but I gave a few Triumph albums somewhat recent listens and was surprised by how well they didn't age. I still love some of their songs, but I just don't listen to them much anymore outside of a few songs I will reach for on their own, and like Eric Johnson, I cannot justify putting someone on there I almost never listen to anymore.

I saw him on his last acoustic tour a few years ago, and that pretty much cemented him in my all time top 5. Amazing guitarists, frontman, showman, and songwriter. Truly the total package.

Agreed.  But even with Joe/I throwing him 20 points each, he still wouldn't have cracked the Top 25.
Sig removed as the forum crashes! :biggrin:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1292 on: April 29, 2023, 07:47:28 AM »
@tim... Nilsson plays for Scar Symmetry and for Kaipa, two bands of very different styles, and he fucking kills it with both of them.

Also, as Litho has informed me, he's performed a shit ton of guest spots for so many good bands/artists! He is really good.

Here's a good playlist of guest solos...

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1OASLvJC8zk9YIjtatNst9?si=Bch2ejsTTU-IqXOe0HqwAg

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1293 on: April 29, 2023, 07:50:55 AM »

Thank you.

Between streaming and buying digital albums instead of CD, I have no idea of the names of the people who I'm listening to.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1294 on: April 29, 2023, 08:44:55 AM »

Thank you.

Between streaming and buying digital albums instead of CD, I have no idea of the names of the people who I'm listening to.

I know what you mean. Plus with discovering a new band every other week... And the memory getting worse every other week. The struggle is real.

Rik Emmett is a guy that would have made my list up until recently, but I gave a few Triumph albums somewhat recent listens and was surprised by how well they didn't age. I still love some of their songs, but I just don't listen to them much anymore outside of a few songs I will reach for on their own, and like Eric Johnson, I cannot justify putting someone on there I almost never listen to anymore.

I saw him on his last acoustic tour a few years ago, and that pretty much cemented him in my all time top 5. Amazing guitarists, frontman, showman, and songwriter. Truly the total package.

Agreed.  But even with Joe/I throwing him 20 points each, he still wouldn't have cracked the Top 25.

I still blame you guys.