Author Topic: Music Release MILESTONE DATE (or week) Anniversary Thread  (Read 3678 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Music Release MILESTONE DATE (or week) Anniversary Thread
« on: March 25, 2023, 12:41:25 PM »
Yesterday, March 24, 2023 marks the 15th Anniversary release of the debut album from the great math/art/dance-punk prog band Foals.

ANTIDOTES released March 24th, 2008.

It began what has become a rather prolific and consistent-to-some career for Foals.

As a Foals fan, I'm giving it another go (today, per I didn't realize it's 15th anniversary was yesterday, until this morning), and I'm still marvelled how much I enjoy Antidotes and its infectious energy. The flow and groove just works so well, start-to-finish.
My go-to's still are the single "Cassius," "The French Open," and the dance-able "Two Steps, Twice."
But the whole album still remains 15 years later, such a trip.

------------------------------------------

So in this Topic, people should post MILESTONE Anniversaries to Albums, or even EPs and Singles if they choose, if for no other reason for reference. But also others may enjoy listening to said music that has reached a milestone amount of years when it was released.

I guess to avoid every single Anniversary, let's keep this to just 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, and 70 year anniversaries.

And I know, many albums and releases have Multiple dates they show being released. We don't need to nitpick about that. There is also the case where certain versions were released in some countries on 1 date, and another country on another date (with different track lists of course i.e. JAPAN of course).

But just on the surface for the current Year (2023) I guess anything released from the following years:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:14:49 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Online The Letter M

Re: Music Release MILESTONE Anniversary Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 12:52:29 PM »
In a few days, on the 28th, my favorite Led Zeppelin album will celebrate its 50th anniversary - Houses Of The Holy. I've been listening to their catalog lately in celebration of this anniversary!

And as a Rush fan, I guess I have to bring up the following:
2013 - Clockwork Angels Tour
2008 - Snakes & Arrows Live
2003 - Rush In Rio
1998 - Different Stages
1993 - Counterparts
1978 - Hemispheres

Funny enough, all of those were released in either October or November of their respective years (except the audio for S&A Live, though the video was released later that year in November).

And while I'm here, I figured I'd throw these out there before anyone else does:
2013 - Dream Theater, Live At Luna Park
2008 - Chaos In Motion: 2007-2008
2003 - Train Of Thought
1998 - Once In A LIVEtime
1993 - Live At The Marquee

And for one of my other top favorite bands, Big Big Train:
2018 - Merchants Of Light, Swan Hunter EP
2013 - English Electric: Part Two, Make Some Noise EP, English Electric: Full Power

And since they're pretty relevant right now with the release of Fauna, here's Haken:
2018 - Vector, L-1VE, L+1VE
2013 - The Mountain
2008 - Enter The 5th Dimension

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 01:09:13 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 01:24:47 PM »
For 1978 we have the debut records for three of my favorite bands:

Dire Straits

Toto

Van Halen
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 03:59:10 PM »
This year will be 40 years since Metallica’s first album. I can’t really comprehend that, considering I remember vividly the circumstances of how I came to own a copy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 04:04:37 PM »
This year will be 40 years since Metallica’s first album. I can’t really comprehend that, considering I remember vividly the circumstances of how I came to own a copy.

Same here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 07:15:26 AM »
I know it's the 50th Anniversary for these three albums:

Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
Genesis- Selling England By the Pound
Yes- Tales From Topographic Oceans

45th for these:
Rush- Hemispheres
Genesis- And Then There Were Three
Yes- Tormato

40th for these:
Genesis- Genesis
Marillion- Script for a Jester's Tear
The Police- Synchronicity
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Music Release MILESTONE DATE (or week) Anniversary Thread
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 06:48:18 AM »
so the intention of this topic was to reply the day or even within days/or-the-same-week, (or I suppose even the Month, if the Date/Days/Weeks aren't known) of the Anniversary.

That being said, a big one for me and many others I imagine, happened either yesterday or today depending on where you look.

March 28/29, 1988 King's X released their debut album "Out of the Silent Planet."

Great album, filled with catchy, memorable rock songs that really didn't sound much like anything most had heard before.

"King" "Goldilox" "Shot of Love" "What Is This" among those and the best tunes of their career.

https://open.spotify.com/album/08fDwAVsLdPY38aF03qmQa

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 05:29:59 PM »
Fates Warning NO EXIT turned 35 years old this month!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 07:54:33 PM »
so the intention of this topic was to reply the day or even within days/or-the-same-week, (or I suppose even the Month, if the Date/Days/Weeks aren't known) of the Anniversary.

That being said, a big one for me and many others I imagine, happened either yesterday or today depending on where you look.

March 28/29, 1988 King's X released their debut album "Out of the Silent Planet."

Great album, filled with catchy, memorable rock songs that really didn't sound much like anything most had heard before.

"King" "Goldilox" "Shot of Love" "What Is This" among those and the best tunes of their career.

https://open.spotify.com/album/08fDwAVsLdPY38aF03qmQa

Fantastic album, still one of my favorite of theirs. Goldilox is amazing...those vocals and those guitars...

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 04:55:37 AM »
March 20 marked the 36th anniversary of my favorite Christian rock album:

Online The Letter M

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2023, 05:19:58 AM »
Tim Bowness has shared on Facebook that today marks the 20th anniversary of the No-Man album Together We're Stranger, one of my favorites by the duo.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2023, 09:49:53 AM »
10 years ago today, The Dear Hunter released Migrant. A somewhat polarizing record, but many fans like myself do consider it including some of their best songs like "Whisper" "Shame" and "Bring You Down."

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2023, 12:04:40 PM »
10 years ago today, The Dear Hunter released Migrant. A somewhat polarizing record, but many fans like myself do consider it including some of their best songs like "Whisper" "Shame" and "Bring You Down."

Not my absolute favourite, but still an incredible album! Still need to pick this up on vinyl.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2023, 06:54:10 AM »
It was 20 years ago today...(4/07/03)

What is largely a collection of re-recorded/re-arranged tunes has become a huge fan favorite.

"Am I Wry? No" "156" "Snow Brigade" "She Spider" and "Comforting Sounds" among the highlights.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2023, 11:03:03 AM »

Today marks the 15th Anniversary of Ours fantastic 3rd album "Mercy" aka "Mercy (Dancing for the Death of an Imaginary Enemy)."

Released on April 15th, 2008, Mercy became what was an album that took approximately 6 years to make, after basically all of the songs were played live for many years.

Working with Rick Rubin, this still to this day is considered Ours best sounding album as sonically it is pristine. Rubin actually won a Grammy the following year and Mercy was part of that reason.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2023, 11:32:51 AM »

25 years old today!

If you had to pick only one track off of Discouraged Ones, which  would it be?

We have some extra special merchandise, including vinyl available, if Discouraged Ones is missing from your collection.

https://omerch.com/shop/katatonia

Offline HOF

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2023, 06:29:59 AM »
Today is the 35th anniversary of for Queensryche’s Operation Mindcrime and the 20th anniversary of Marillion’s Marbles. Pretty big day.

Edit, make that 19 years for Marbles. Read the tweet wrong!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2023, 04:06:29 PM »
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy was released 50 years ago today, May 12, 1973.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2023, 05:23:51 PM »
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy was released 50 years ago today, May 12, 1973.

In a few days, on the 28th, my favorite Led Zeppelin album will celebrate its 50th anniversary - Houses Of The Holy. I've been listening to their catalog lately in celebration of this anniversary!

-Marc.

According to Wikipedia, it came out on March 28th, 1973.

-Marc.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2023, 07:09:09 PM »

-Marc.

According to Wikipedia, it came out on March 28th, 1973.

-Marc.

ah, someone I follow on Instagram I think looked at the wrong date and I didn't bother checking their facts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsI1ln8O0t6

It wasn't released on May 12th (or 14th), 1973, but it went to #1 on Billboard this weekend.

Although This Article confirms that, but also the Title is misleading with the wording

"Sunday Marks 50 Years, Since the Release of Zeppelin' "Houses of the Holy"

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 10:54:27 AM »
10 years ago today, Daft Punk released Random Access Memories. A modern classic in a lot of ways.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2023, 01:02:46 PM »

2 of my favorites came out 20 and 15 years ago yesterday:

Menomena - I Am the Fun Blame Monster release May 20, 2003
King's X - XV released May 20, 2008

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2023, 06:02:15 AM »

2 of my favorites came out 20 and 15 years ago yesterday:

Menomena - I Am the Fun Blame Monster release May 20, 2003
King's X - XV released May 20, 2008

Wow...it's been 15 years since King's X put out XV???? Jeez, time flies.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2023, 11:54:10 AM »

35 years ago today.

Feels So Good and Finish What Ya Started are among my favorites on this.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2023, 06:48:32 AM »

25 years ago today, May 26, 1998, Jeff Buckley's estate released Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk.

almost 1 year to the day of his death on May 29th, even though it has what are really just demos,  it contains many of my personal favorites tracks like Vancouver, Everybody Here Wants You, New Year's Prayer and Satisfied Mind among others.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2023, 07:29:57 AM »

25 years ago today, May 26, 1998, Jeff Buckley's estate released Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk.

almost 1 year to the day of his death on May 29th, even though it has what are really just demos,  it contains many of my personal favorites tracks like Vancouver, Everybody Here Wants You, New Year's Prayer and Satisfied Mind among others.

Massive Buckley fan here...

While Grace is essential listening for, well, just about anyone, I have probably spent more times with Sketches over the years.

I mean, Grace is an absolutely stellar debut, but it is also a potent document of an artist still searching for a sound.

While Buckley was ultimately dissatisfied with Sketches (he was in the process of starting over at the time of his death), I think the album is beyond incredible (especially the first disc, which is what I consider the proper album).

In fact, if I were to do a ranking, I dare say the majority of my top-10 would be songs from Sketches. "Morning Theft," "Everyone Here Wants You," and "Vancouver" are clear highlights, but I have grown to adore every moment of disc 1.

Hell, despite the 'kitchen sink' approach to the second disc, I still think there's a handful of must-listens there as well.

You know, I struggled with this album for a long time—yes, Buckley's mother oversaw the whole thing, but the idea that Jeff didn't want the world to hear these songs at this stage in the game always sat in the back of my mind like a mental disclaimer. The fact that posthumous releases have only continued to flow over the years hasn't helped the 'cash grab' allegations.

But, at the end of the day, it's either out there, or it simply doesn't exist. Jeff is no longer here to curate his legacy, and as a fan, I'd rather hear the music than let it sit on a shelf somewhere.

And, as an artist, if I got hit by a bus tomorrow, if my wife could make a buck or three off of anything I left half-finished, despite the horror that scenario inspires, I think I'd ultimately be happy my art helped to support my family.

Any which way, this is a fantastic album, and if anyone has read this far (but isn't already a fan), I cannot think of an artist I'd recommend more.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2023, 04:22:34 PM »
if I did/do a Jeff Buckley ranking, it would include several Sketches tracks as well. But the stigma with his mother on Sketches and all the stuff that has come out since is there sadly.

Anyway, 10 years ago today, Capital Cities released their excellent debut record "A Tidal Wave of Mystery"
Maybe best known for the hit "Safe and Sound" (thanks to a TV commercial for Mazda among others), it's filled with energy, hooks and some great trumpet arrangements from Spencer Ludwig.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2023, 11:06:45 AM »

30 years ago today, June 8th, 1993, Galactic Cowboys released their sophomore record, masterpiece "Space In Your Face."

A super fun, catchy, rifftastic record that combines elements of The Beatles and Metallica really like no other band I'd heard before.

Happy 30th Bday to us Galactic Space Rockers!

Offline HOF

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2023, 11:15:29 AM »

30 years ago today, June 8th, 1993, Galactic Cowboys released their sophomore record, masterpiece "Space In Your Face."

A super fun, catchy, rifftastic record that combines elements of The Beatles and Metallica really like no other band I'd heard before.

Happy 30th Bday to us Galactic Space Rockers!

This is a fun album. My brother and I got a real kick out of Circles in the Field back in the day. A more thrash version of King’s X kind of (also produced by Sam Taylor and buds with King’s X).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2023, 09:48:18 AM »
3 big anniversaries today!

The Police - Synchronicity was released 40 years ago today, June 17, 1983

To me, it was their peak/masterpiece including many of my favorites including both the title track and Synchronicity II. Wrapped Around Your Finger, Walking in Your Footsteps, King of Pain, Tea in the Sahara and of course their biggest song, grammy winnng Every Breathe Your Take.

John Arch - A Twist of Fate was released 20 years ago today June 17, 2003. This is how progressive metal should sound. A huge comeback of sorts for longtime fans, John both sounds like he did when he sang with Fates Warning, and also in a lot of ways much more mature. The production and the layering is meticulous. The dynamics and raw emotion are all over the 2 epics on this EP. Also I have never found Mike Portnoy to sound better.

Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer was released 15 years ago today on June 17, 2008. The album that introduced me to the band. There's this really cool, infectious style of progressive art rock. Namely on the track "Kissing the Beehive." Everytime I listen to that song, I am won over by the buildup and energy. Another favorite is "California Dreamer"

« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 10:08:14 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2023, 01:02:13 PM »
And all those pale in comparison (for me at least) to the celebration of 30 years of IQ-Ever on 6/12.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2023, 02:09:12 PM »
Synchronicity is a beast of a record. I don't think they would have been able to top that one, so they ended the band on a high note.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2023, 10:23:39 AM »

Depending where you look, it was 20 years ago today June 18th, 2003, (or yesterday 6/17, or next Saturday June 24th),The Mars Volta released their seminal debut album "Deloused in the Comatorium."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2023, 07:24:12 AM »

Depending on where you look, today 7/6, or next Thursday 7/13, is the 50th Anniversary of Jethro Tull's Epic Concept album "A Passion Play."

Happy 50th to APP!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2023, 08:41:12 PM »

25 years ago today, July 14, 1998, the final Andre Matos-led Angra album Fireworks was released.

Some great tunes including "Wings of Reality," "Lisbon," "Gentle Change" "Metal Icarus" and the title track among others.