Author Topic: Music Release MILESTONE DATE (or week) Anniversary Thread  (Read 3954 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: Music Release MILESTONE DATE (or week) Anniversary Thread
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2023, 08:49:31 PM »

25 years ago today, July 14, 1998, the final Andre Matos-led Angra album Fireworks was released.

Some great tunes including "Wings of Reality," "Lisbon," "Gentle Change" "Metal Icarus" and the title track among others.

Nice! Yes, this was a bit of a disappointment after Angels Cry and Holy Land (especially), but some great songs indeed. Like all of your picks, Lisbon and Gentle Change being my favorites. The closer, Speed, was kind of a throwaway track, though.

I remember how they wanted to go for a more "analog" approach, and they got Chris Tsangarides to produce, but I wasn't totally sold on how the record's sound. Some nice actual orchestra playing, though.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2023, 07:52:02 PM »

25 years ago today, July 14, 1998, the final Andre Matos-led Angra album Fireworks was released.

Some great tunes including "Wings of Reality," "Lisbon," "Gentle Change" "Metal Icarus" and the title track among others.

Nice! Yes, this was a bit of a disappointment after Angels Cry and Holy Land (especially), but some great songs indeed. Like all of your picks, Lisbon and Gentle Change being my favorites. The closer, Speed, was kind of a throwaway track, though.

I remember how they wanted to go for a more "analog" approach, and they got Chris Tsangarides to produce, but I wasn't totally sold on how the record's sound. Some nice actual orchestra playing, though.

I agree that it was not on the same level as those previous 2 records, but they were so good, I wasn't totally down about it. Although I know the band members were not all that crazy about it and the direction they went/were going. It was a little like the Queensryche situation around the same time, except with the 3 guys who left to form Shaman, and the 2 that stayed.

But regardless, I have not had the desire to listen to Angra's music since sadly. I know many love Temples of Shadows and recall checking out Rebirth and finding it to having too much Power Metal and of course Edu Falaschi not really doing much for me like Andre. Per, why I favor Fireworks still over the records after Andre left.

10 years ago today, July 16th, 2013

Mayer Hawthorne released "Where Does This Door Go."
A great record that includes tracks like "Her Favorite Song" "Back Seat Lover" and "Designer Drug" among others.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2023, 08:25:03 AM »

On this day in 1973, Genesis released their first live album, titled ‘Genesis Live,’ recorded at De Montfort Hall, Leicester and Free Trade Hall, Manchester in February 1973.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2023, 06:49:40 AM »
40 years ago today, July 25, 1983.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2023, 10:22:41 AM »
10 years ago today, July 30, 2013, The Reign of Kindo released "Play With Fire" their long awaited 3rd album that features many favorites including    
"The Hero, The Saint, The Tyrant, & The Terrorist," "Impossible World," "Dust," "Sunshine," "Feeling in the Night," and "I Hate Music" among others.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2023, 12:28:47 PM »
15 years ago today (8/11/2008)

Indietronica classic!

30 years ago yesterday (8/10/1993)

Great groove-oriented debut album with Edwin! "So Gently We Go" is a favorite of mine and others.

55 years ago last Wednesday (8/9/1968)

Classic Rock staple! White Room!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2023, 09:39:55 AM »
Happy 20th to the SikTh debut album!  :metal

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2023, 08:34:00 AM »
35 years ago today, August 23, 1988, Jane's Addiction released Nothing's Shocking, their 2nd album, and 1st studio album.

It includes Mountain Song, Jane Says, Ocean Size, Summertime Rolls, Pigs in Zen among other favorites

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2023, 04:14:10 PM »
25 years ago today, August 25, 1998, Enchant released their 3rd record "Break" which includes tracks like the title track, The Lizard, My Enemy, Surrounded and King among others.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2023, 07:57:03 PM »
2 others today of note:

15 Years ago today, August 26, 2008, The Reign of Kindo released their fantastic debut album "Rhythm, Chord & Melody," which includes many of their greatest tunes including "Something In The Way That You Are" "Moments in Between" "Hold Out" and the incredible "Til We Make Our Ascent" among others.

20 years ago today, August 26, 2003 Avenged Sevenfold released their 2nd album, which was sort of a breakthrough of sorts (although not as much as their next album City of Evil I suppose).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2023, 12:48:36 PM »
On this day 45 years ago, September 1, 1978 classic/prog rock band Styx released "Pieces of Eight" which includes "Queen of Spades," the title track, "Blue Collar Man," and "Lords of the Ring" among others.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2023, 07:49:43 AM »
Haken - The Mountain is 10 years old today, my favorite album by the band.  :hefdaddy

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2023, 09:16:13 PM »
30 Years ago yesterday (September 14th, 1993) this hugely influential album came out

40 years ago today (September 15, 1983), Huey Lewis and the News released what had MTV and radio staples with Sports.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2023, 10:21:46 PM »
40 years ago today, my all time favorite band released their first full length album under the name IQ...

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2023, 07:32:15 PM »
Happy Anniversary!!!🎶🎉
19 September 1995

"A Change of Seasons"
Dream Theater

This EP by progressive metal band Dream Theater was first released on 19th September 1995 through East West Records. It comprised of the title track which was 23 minutes long and a collection of live cover songs performed on 31st January 1995 at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club, London at a special concert for fan club members.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2023, 08:41:26 AM »
Today marks 50 years of Goodbye Yellowbrick Road!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2023, 10:28:18 AM »
Happy 20th to Coheed & Cambria’s In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

What an absolute friggin’ masterpiece! I’d urge anyone who hasn’t heard it to get on it right now! That title track is gonna change your life.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2023, 02:51:14 PM »
I actually just listened to In Keeping Secrets yesterday for the 1st time in ages and remembered how great it is. The title track is awesome, and there's so many songs that have those super catchy hooks. However, my favorite is "The Light & Glass." The climax on that one is so bloody good. Claudio goes for it and totally nails it.

"Your father's dead, he passed in his sleep"
And I woke to the sounds of her crying
Your father's dead, he passed in his sleep"

Pray for us all, pray for us all
Pray for us all, pray for us all"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2023, 03:27:10 PM »
PROG magazine reminded me that today is the 20th Anniversary of the debut album from The Tangent, The Music That Died Alone. Absolutely stunning debut and one of my favorites from early 00s prog.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2023, 03:47:29 PM »
I actually just listened to In Keeping Secrets yesterday for the 1st time in ages and remembered how great it is. The title track is awesome, and there's so many songs that have those super catchy hooks. However, my favorite is "The Light & Glass." The climax on that one is so bloody good. Claudio goes for it and totally nails it.

"Your father's dead, he passed in his sleep"

Pray for us all, pray for us all"

Oh I’m totally with you dude. I love the album, front to back, but The Light and the Glass holds a special place in my heart. It was the song that really helped me fall in love with the band. The finale of this and 21:13 really makes the album for me.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2023, 07:34:06 AM »
Happy 50th Anniversary to Genesis' Selling England By The Pound!

-Marc.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2023, 11:21:33 AM »
yep, my favorite Genesis album and part of that huge month in October of 1973.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2023, 03:25:55 PM »
Happy 30th Birthday to RUSH's Counterparts album! Hard to believe it hits the big 3-0 today! This is definitely my favorite 90s Rush album, with lots of great playing and powerful performances throughout!

-Marc.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2023, 05:08:02 PM »
yep, probably my favorite 90's Rush album as well. "Alien Shore" is an underrated track.

also

Esperanza Spalding - 12 Little Spells (2018)..awesome progressive jazz/funk/r&b album. 1 my favorites from her. Happy 5 years!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2023, 06:15:17 PM »
Happy 30th Birthday to RUSH's Counterparts album! Hard to believe it hits the big 3-0 today! This is definitely my favorite 90s Rush album, with lots of great playing and powerful performances throughout!

-Marc.

Ha! I was going to post this  :)

Yep, it's a beauty. My first Rush album, bought back in 1993 when I knew NOTHING about the band. It is, to this day, one of my favorite of theirs.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2023, 10:36:13 AM »
45 years ago today...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2023, 04:46:04 PM »
Happy 5th Birthday to Haken's Vector!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2023, 01:09:23 PM »
Happy 45th Birthday to Rush's sixth studio album, Hemispheres.

-Marc.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2023, 12:05:31 PM »
Blink-182's self titled/untitled turned 20 today! Holy shit was thus album important to me. Think I might spin it in honour, what a record.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2023, 09:02:52 PM »
The Beatles' The Beatles turns 55 today! Also, With The Beatles turns 60 as well!

-Marc.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2024, 06:46:02 AM »
released 2/7/1994

Happy 30th to my favorite album of all-time.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2024, 11:13:51 PM »
Happy 50th Anniversary to Rush by Rush.

-Marc.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2024, 11:44:45 PM »
I went over all the March ones on YouTube last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vcXY1VCU0I

this Friday has some biggies including Kansas - Kansas and Queen - Queen II both released on March 8, 1974.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2024, 11:51:27 PM »
Happy 35th Anniversary to a little known album titled When Dream And Day Unite by some band called Dream Theater. Hopefully they'll hit it big some day!

-Marc.