Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 11381 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2023, 08:08:42 AM »
Yankees Domingo German pitches a perfect game, unsurprisingly it was against Oakland.

I was there last night. About five rows up from the Yankees' dugout. It was pretty special to watch. I realized he had a no-no in the bottom of the 5th. I looked at the box score as German came out for the bottom of the 6th, and realized it was a perfect game. A number of the A's hitters in the 6th and 7th had some really walloped balls. A couple deep shots to the track (solid contact) and a few liners (one was almost fair out of Rizzo's reach), and some other ones. The A's had zeroed in on German's four seamer, so when he came out for the 7th, 8th, and 9th, he was taking something off the pitches, and that just overwhelmed them. There was no hope.

Pretty cool to have witnessed it. Took a couple pictures of German in the 9th right before he finished the game, and a few more of the celebration. Only 24 perfect games in history, and I got to see one, along with maybe 5,000 others. Mostly Yankees fans. It is really sad what is happening in Oakland. But man, to witness that gem with my family. What a night.

As for the Oakland situation...for me it sucks. I hate going to San Francisco to see the Yankees. Great ballpark, but overpriced and a PITA to get in and out of the area. I groan every single time we buy tickets (my wife is a Cubs fan so we end up there at least once a year). But losing the A's in Oakland is horrible. The whole city is falling apart. The area around the stadium, if folks are unfamiliar, is frightening. I went a back way one time, and you could see dudes shooting up in front of boarded up houses. Trash and burned out cars everywhere. It's disgusting. So yeah, I mean, I get why people haven't been going. But that said, ownership refuses to invest in the team. If the A's would have kept their talent, that fan base would show up. They are loyal. They are speaking with their wallets, and they should. But the owners should be chastised for taking the team out of Northern California. I mean, if the City of Oakland are being ass hats, just go 90 minutes northeast and go play in Sacramento. But to go to Vegas...they'll have the same problems there. Unlike Raiders fans, who are nationwide and travel to games eight times a year, the A's aren't going to travel, and they won't pack a stadium 81 times annually. This is stupid.

Anyway, my first favorite player was Reggie Jackson, when he was on the Yankees. I did some research as a young kid, and obviously found out about Reggie's history with the A's (and with the Orioles for a year before hitting up NY). I loved the old footage of Reggie with the A's. Good ole #9. That team has such a rich history. To take that team out of Northern California is WRONG. They need an owner willing to invest in the team. Go to Sacramento. Go to another spot in the Bay Area. But Las Vegas? C'mon man.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2023, 10:16:28 AM »
That's rad that you were there, Brian!

What I think is funny is all the people saying that they need to leave the Athletics/A's name when they leave Oakland.  Do these folks not realize that the team move (with the name) twice before?  It's not like the name belongs to the city.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2023, 10:51:57 AM »
That's so cool you witnessed that live! Reggie was also my first favorite player; first World Series I saw as a kind was 1977 and Reggie was larger than life.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2023, 11:33:37 AM »
Awesome you witnessed that in person Brain!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2023, 12:56:38 PM »
That's so cool you witnessed that live! Reggie was also my first favorite player; first World Series I saw as a kind was 1977 and Reggie was larger than life.

Almost 10-year old me was NOT happy about that one.  I was raised to hate the Yankees, and it felt like Howard Cosell was so happy about Reggie's game 6 performance, and I HATED him for it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2023, 01:24:09 PM »
Thanks all. It was pretty special.

I wasn't old enough to remember the '77 series. But I do remember my grandfather telling me in the early 80s: "As a Yankees fan, we don't like the Red Sox and Dodgers." And yeah, both those teams can suck it.  :lol

I went to a game in 1979 with my grandfather and father. And apparently I met Phil Rizzuto and Bill White (who were calling the games for WPIX in NY at the time) after the game. But I don't remember it. I did have a ball Phil signed for me, and like an idiot, in winter 1984, needing a ball, I used that one and lost it. IDIOT. lol. The first Yankees game I remember was at Yankee Stadium in 1984, the Tigers were in town. We were...first baseline, but way back, near a tunnel away from the action. I was all the way to the right, looking down into the gap tunnel, and there was Dave Winfield having a smoke.  :lol

And no offense, P, I have no idea what you all see in Dodger Stadium. I've been there twice, was completely underwhelmed both times. Then again, old Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park were pretty rundown back when I used to go there too. So that might not mean anything. My favorite park is Safeco. Wait, T-Mobile Park in Seattle. Just a beautiful place to see a game.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2023, 03:54:10 PM »
I went to a game in 1979 with my grandfather and father. And apparently I met Phil Rizzuto and Bill White (who were calling the games for WPIX in NY at the time) after the game. But I don't remember it. I did have a ball Phil signed for me, and like an idiot, in winter 1984, needing a ball, I used that one and lost it. IDIOT. lol.

When I was a kid, I used to practice "pitching" by throwing tennis balls at our wood garage door.  The door has raised, decorative pieces, so the balls would sometimes ricochet at funny angles, and I'd lose the balls.  My father, who was born in Brooklyn in 1921 (and who died when I was 7) had a ball signed by what I've been told was the entire 1932 Brooklyn Dodgers team.  That team included HOF'ers Dazzy Vance, Al Lopez and Hack Wilson (and Japanese Baseball HOF'er Lefty O'Doul), as well as Casey Stengel as a coach.  One day (I think it was after he died), I grabbed the 1932 ball and proceeded to use it for practice.  Obviously, it made quite a racket, and my older brother stopped me after a few throws, but the baseball was pretty damaged.  I still have that ball, though.  Maybe one day I'll see if anyone can give me a value estimate.

And no offense, P, I have no idea what you all see in Dodger Stadium. I've been there twice, was completely underwhelmed both times. Then again, old Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park were pretty rundown back when I used to go there too. So that might not mean anything. My favorite park is Safeco. Wait, T-Mobile Park in Seattle. Just a beautiful place to see a game.

Well...I've had this discussion with a co-worker who's also a big Dodger fan.  I have mentioned that I like whatever Anaheim Stadium is called now, including that I think it's better than Dodger Stadium.  He is aghast at my sacrilege, but I go through the list of why Anaheim is better, and first on the list is that Dodger Stadium's parking lot is the stupidest thing ever designed.  Even on its worst day, you'll be out of Anaheim's parking lot in 20 minutes.  With Dodger Stadium, buckle in for a 90 minute wait.  I challenged him to explain how Dodger Stadium is better, NOT including the team.  His only answer was the "atmosphere," but he couldn't rebut my point that 90% of "atmosphere" has to do with the quality of the team on the field.  The recent upgrades made Dodger Stadium nicer, but it's absolutely nothing special (outside of the fact that it's where the Dodgers play).  It's the third oldest stadium, but it has NONE of the charm of Fenway and Wrigley.  I've been to new Yankee (but never the old one) and thought it was bland and stale.  Otherwise, I'd take pretty much ever other stadium I've been to (AT&T, Petco, Anaheim, Chase, Coors, Wrigley, Nats, Camden, Citi, Fenway (and maybe one other)) over Dodger Stadium.  I do need to get up to Oakland before they move just so I can say I've been there.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2023, 04:12:34 PM »
Sadly I'm starting to think Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are actually running the A's.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2023, 04:29:16 PM »
 :lol :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2023, 08:05:09 AM »

When I was a kid, I used to practice "pitching" by throwing tennis balls at our wood garage door.  The door has raised, decorative pieces, so the balls would sometimes ricochet at funny angles, and I'd lose the balls.  My father, who was born in Brooklyn in 1921 (and who died when I was 7) had a ball signed by what I've been told was the entire 1932 Brooklyn Dodgers team.  That team included HOF'ers Dazzy Vance, Al Lopez and Hack Wilson (and Japanese Baseball HOF'er Lefty O'Doul), as well as Casey Stengel as a coach.  One day (I think it was after he died), I grabbed the 1932 ball and proceeded to use it for practice.  Obviously, it made quite a racket, and my older brother stopped me after a few throws, but the baseball was pretty damaged.  I still have that ball, though.  Maybe one day I'll see if anyone can give me a value estimate.

That's still an awesome ball to have. For kicks, you should see what it is worth. Even if damaged, it could be extremely valuable.

Well...I've had this discussion with a co-worker who's also a big Dodger fan.  I have mentioned that I like whatever Anaheim Stadium is called now, including that I think it's better than Dodger Stadium.  He is aghast at my sacrilege, but I go through the list of why Anaheim is better, and first on the list is that Dodger Stadium's parking lot is the stupidest thing ever designed.  Even on its worst day, you'll be out of Anaheim's parking lot in 20 minutes.  With Dodger Stadium, buckle in for a 90 minute wait.  I challenged him to explain how Dodger Stadium is better, NOT including the team.  His only answer was the "atmosphere," but he couldn't rebut my point that 90% of "atmosphere" has to do with the quality of the team on the field.  The recent upgrades made Dodger Stadium nicer, but it's absolutely nothing special (outside of the fact that it's where the Dodgers play).  It's the third oldest stadium, but it has NONE of the charm of Fenway and Wrigley.  I've been to new Yankee (but never the old one) and thought it was bland and stale.  Otherwise, I'd take pretty much ever other stadium I've been to (AT&T, Petco, Anaheim, Chase, Coors, Wrigley, Nats, Camden, Citi, Fenway (and maybe one other)) over Dodger Stadium.  I do need to get up to Oakland before they move just so I can say I've been there.

I went to Opening Day 2022 in Anaheim. I liked the park. It didn't blow me away, but I liked it. Yes, much easier to get out of than Dodger Stadium. Petco Park in San Diego (do they still call it that) was cool when I went the first year it opened. I need to go back, I don't remember much except for what the left field upper deck looks like. I went to Chase Field several years ago. I hated it. Even with the retractable roof, it just seemed sterile and lifeless.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2023, 06:35:17 PM »
Very cool you were there for the perfect game Samsara. I actually just went to Petco Park for the first time on Sunday, I have to say I was a fan. Nice stadium, gorgeous weather, and to say the concessions put Yankee Stadium to shame is a gross understatement.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 04:20:20 AM by axeman90210 »
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2023, 10:23:19 PM »
Petco is gorgeous (aside from the slimy home team).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2023, 09:36:00 AM »
I actually hope he doesn’t participate in the HR Derby, don’t want anything to deep-six this historic year he’s having.

I get it. Aaron Judge admitted to fatigue and it messed with his swing when he did it.

Judge was hitting HRs at a rate of 0.3571 HR/G before the '17 Derby (30 HR in 84 games).  His HR/G after the Derby was 0.3099 (22 HR in 71 games).  Not really much of a fall-off (although I didn't look at his other numbers pre- and post-ASG).

In fact, over the last 5 Derbies ('17 through '22), the average change in the HR/G of the final 4 contestants was +0.00536 (about 1 HR per 162 game season).  The biggest boost over that time was Albert Pujols in 2022, whose HR/G rate increased by 0.2082.  The biggest drop was Cody Bellinger in 2017, whose rate dropped by 0.1313, but he still had a post-ASG HR/G rate of 0.2258 (14 HR in 62 games).

It was fun watching the first round last night - especially Julio Rodriguez hitting 41 - but the whole thing is getting a bit long and boring.  Three and a half minutes is just too much time (especially with some guys getting another 30 seconds on top of that for hitting 2+ 440' homers).  Arozarena was just gassed by the end.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2023, 12:21:36 PM »
Yup it's too long and has been for 20 years. 60 seconds or 90 seconds per round and get off the pot.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2023, 12:26:59 PM »
The whole 3:00 AND everyone gets a 30 second "bonus."  If EVERYONE gets it, it's not a bonus!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2023, 05:18:12 PM »
Anyone know why MLB released next year's schedule today?!?  Makes absolutely no sense to me to do it 6-7 months earlier than ever before. No other major N.A. sport has ever done this.  Certainly takes away from being in the headlines when the snow is on the ground. 

I was going to tune in for a couple of innings of the AS Game.  Then I saw the dumb, ugly 'uniform' uniforms again, and instantly switched channels.  :tdwn  Had always enjoyed seeing the players in their team unis. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2023, 10:34:59 AM »
Anyone know why MLB released next year's schedule today?!?  Makes absolutely no sense to me to do it 6-7 months earlier than ever before. No other major N.A. sport has ever done this.  Certainly takes away from being in the headlines when the snow is on the ground. 

Does it really matter?  I'm not sure I've ever cared about the MLB schedule release, and I'm pretty sure the only schedule release anyone ever cares about is the NFL.  I know they did it in part because they wanted to announce the Dodgers/Padres games that will be played in South Korea.

I was going to tune in for a couple of innings of the AS Game.  Then I saw the dumb, ugly 'uniform' uniforms again, and instantly switched channels.  :tdwn  Had always enjoyed seeing the players in their team unis.

I watched most of it because I've always done it and always will.  The AL uniforms looked cool, but the NL were butt fugly.  I was watching and thinking, "wait...don't they usually wear their team uniforms?"  It was always cool as a kid seeing Steve Garvey in a Dodger uniform, next to Joe Morgan in a Reds uniform, next to Bill Russell/Larry Bowa in a Dodgers/Phillies uniform, next to Mike Schmidt in a Phillies uniform.  It always looked so cool.  I looked it up, and they started a uniform uniform in 2021, and that crap needs to stop ASAP.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2023, 05:19:04 PM »
My 21yo son will occasionally emerge from his room and try to stump me with trivia.  This past weekend, he challenged me to name the player at each position (other than DH) with the most homers at each position.  I got one of them pretty easily and embarrassingly struggled with one, but it was pretty hard overall.

Anyone want to take a stab (without looking it up)?  Hint:  only one of the guys on the list is active.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2023, 05:38:45 PM »
My 21yo son will occasionally emerge from his room and try to stump me with trivia.  This past weekend, he challenged me to name the player at each position (other than DH) with the most homers at each position.  I got one of them pretty easily and embarrassingly struggled with one, but it was pretty hard overall.

Anyone want to take a stab (without looking it up)?  Hint:  only one of the guys on the list is active.
Ooh, interesting. I'm assuming you mean career homers. I'll take a stab without looking...

C - Mike Piazza, I think. Could also be Carlton Fisk
1B - I'm tempted to say Mark McGwire if we are counted only games where they played first base, otherwise I think it would be Albert Pujols.
2B - I think this is Jeff Kent, unless Robinson Cano passed him. I don't remember.
3B - This one I know for sure, Mike Schmidt
SS - I'm taking a total stab in the dark here, but I think it's Cal Ripken Jr. Or does Alex Rodriguez count? I know he mostly played 3B in the second half of his career.
LF - This one is easy, Barry Bonds
CF - This one is also easy, Willie Mays
RF - Pretty sure this is Hank Aaron, again, depending if we are only counting games where they played that position.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline HOF

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2023, 02:01:41 AM »
So who all here is playing Immaculate Grid?

https://www.immaculategrid.com/

Offline pg1067

« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2023, 10:37:02 AM »

Ooh, interesting. I'm assuming you mean career homers. I'll take a stab without looking...

1B - I'm tempted to say Mark McGwire if we are counted only games where they played first base, otherwise I think it would be Albert Pujols.
2B - I think this is Jeff Kent, unless Robinson Cano passed him. I don't remember.
SS - I'm taking a total stab in the dark here, but I think it's Cal Ripken Jr. Or does Alex Rodriguez count? I know he mostly played 3B in the second half of his career.
RF - Pretty sure this is Hank Aaron, again, depending if we are only counting games where they played that position.

Well...I'm an idiot.  The challenge posed by my kid was to name the player at each position with the most HR in the 2000s.  I neglected to include that little bit of information (which makes it much harder).  That said, you were 7 of 8 for all-time (RF is Sosa).

With that said, you sort of got 2 of the 9:  Pujols and Cano.

P:  This one is tough
C:  Very tough and not someone you'd expect
1B:  Pujols
2B:  Cano
SS:  Very tough
3B:  Fairly easy
LF:  Totally obscure
CF:  Easy (this is the one I embarrassingly struggled with)
RF:  Fairly easy

Of the remaining 7, one guy is in the HOF, and two others are virtual shoe-ins.  Never say never, but I don't think any of the other four have any chance of getting in the HOF.

Offline HOF

« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2023, 12:09:57 PM »

Well...I'm an idiot.  The challenge posed by my kid was to name the player at each position with the most HR in the 2000s.  I neglected to include that little bit of information (which makes it much harder).  That said, you were 7 of 8 for all-time (RF is Sosa).

With that said, you sort of got 2 of the 9:  Pujols and Cano.

P:  This one is tough
C:  Very tough and not someone you'd expect
1B:  Pujols
2B:  Cano
SS:  Very tough
3B:  Fairly easy
LF:  Totally obscure
CF:  Easy (this is the one I embarrassingly struggled with)
RF:  Fairly easy

Of the remaining 7, one guy is in the HOF, and two others are virtual shoe-ins.  Never say never, but I don't think any of the other four have any chance of getting in the HOF.

Is this from 2000-2009 or since 2000?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2023, 01:11:23 PM »
2000 to the present.

Offline HOF

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2023, 01:23:04 PM »
A go at the remaining ones:

P: Shohei Ohtani :-P
SS: Miguel Tejada
3B: Alex Rodriguez (or is it Adrian Beltre?)
LF: Adam Dunn
CF: Carlos Beltran
RF: Giancarlo Stanton

DH would probably be Nelson Cruz, or maybe Edwin Encarnacion.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2023, 05:10:10 PM »
A go at the remaining ones:

P: Shohei Ohtani :-P
SS: Miguel Tejada
3B: Alex Rodriguez (or is it Adrian Beltre?)
LF: Adam Dunn
CF: Carlos Beltran
RF: Giancarlo Stanton

DH would probably be Nelson Cruz, or maybe Edwin Encarnacion.

Tejada is correct for SS, and Beltre is the guy at 3B (I assume Rodriguez splitting time between the two positions kept him off the list).

The pitcher one is interesting.  The guy that I was told is the correct answer had 24 career HR.  Ohtani has 163 HR, but FanGraphs indicates that 153 of those have been as a DH, with "only" 8 of them being as a pitcher (and 2 as a PH).

P:  This one is tough (almost all of his career with the Cubs)
C:  Very tough and not someone you'd expect (spent most of his career with the Braves, but also played for two other teams)
1B:  Albert Pujols
2B:  Robinson Cano
SS:  Miguel Tejada
3B:  Adrian Beltre
LF:  Totally obscure (I know this player as an Astro, but he played for four other teams)
CF:  Easy (this is the only active player and the one I embarrassingly struggled with)
RF:  Fairly easy (HOF)

Offline HOF

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2023, 06:33:00 PM »
I forgot to guess C before but it’s probably Brian McCann.

Beltran must have hit too many as a RF/DH later in his career? I guess Trout for CF then.

Is the LF Luis Gonzalez?

Stumped on RF. A current HOFer or should be future HOFer? Vlad Sr. maybe? I know he played some DH too.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 06:40:40 PM by HOF »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2023, 06:46:16 AM »

Beltran must have hit too many as a RF/DH later in his career? I guess Trout for CF then.

Is the LF Luis Gonzalez?

Stumped on RF. A current HOFer or should be future HOFer? Vlad Sr. maybe? I know he played some DH too.

Without checking, these are awesome guesses and probably correct. Lance Berkman for LF was another guess for me but I think a lot of his homers were in the 90s.

Offline HOF

« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2023, 12:32:50 PM »

Is the LF Luis Gonzalez?

Without checking, these are awesome guesses and probably correct. Lance Berkman for LF was another guess for me but I think a lot of his homers were in the 90s.

Just looked up both Gonzalez and Berkman and I don’t think it’s either of them. My next guess for LF is Justin Upton.

Oh, actually I bet it’s Matt Holliday.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 01:11:18 PM by HOF »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2023, 11:37:43 AM »
P:  Carlos Zambrano (I guessed Bumgarner and Greinke and had no idea Zambrano had that many HR - 6 in one season!)
C:  Brian McCann (my lasting image of him is when he got butthurt about someone hitting a dinger, so he blocked the plate when the guy came around 3rd)
LF:  Carlos Lee
CF:  Trout
RF:  Vladimir Guerrero

Offline HOF

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2023, 11:54:31 AM »
P:  Carlos Zambrano (I guessed Bumgarner and Greinke and had no idea Zambrano had that many HR - 6 in one season!)
C:  Brian McCann (my lasting image of him is when he got butthurt about someone hitting a dinger, so he blocked the plate when the guy came around 3rd)
LF:  Carlos Lee
CF:  Trout
RF:  Vladimir Guerrero

Forgot about Carlos Lee. I should have known both of those last two as a Cubs fan, really.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2023, 06:23:06 PM »
Shohei with the 1-hit shutout in game 1 and two dingers in game 2. Ho hum. Looks like the Angels are going to try to retain him.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2023, 10:09:44 PM »
Shohei with the 1-hit shutout in game 1 and two dingers in game 2. Ho hum. Looks like the Angels are going to try to retain him.
It's still amazing to me that the Angels have 2 once in a lifetime players in Trout and Ohtani and they haven't done anything with them. If I were the Giants GM I'd sell the entire farm to snag both of those players.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2023, 07:59:13 AM »
Yeah, count me among the people absolutely flabbergasted that the Angels haven't gone balls out to win with Trout and Ohtani. I don't get it.

I'm gonna say it now. It's going to take a 10-year, 600 million deal to sign Ohtani this offseason. Mark this post.

My guess is it's gonna be one of three teams: Chicago Cubs, Los Angeles Dodgers, or the New York Yankees. If I had to bet, it'd be the Dodgers.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2023, 03:17:35 PM »
Yeah, count me among the people absolutely flabbergasted that the Angels haven't gone balls out to win with Trout and Ohtani. I don't get it.

I'm gonna say it now. It's going to take a 10-year, 600 million deal to sign Ohtani this offseason. Mark this post.

My guess is it's gonna be one of three teams: Chicago Cubs, Los Angeles Dodgers, or the New York Yankees. If I had to bet, it'd be the Dodgers.

He's 29 and peaking. I have never seen a player do what he does, its freakish but those contracts are a death knell. I agree that's what it will take but will it truly be worth it? Another note, it doesn't seem like he wants a big market team so who's paying him that? Very curious to see where he lands. The Angels most likely don't make the playoffs or go deep in so I think they're insane for not trading him, they could literally get the biggest return for a rental in the history of the game. They rolled the dice, lets see if it pays off.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2023, 05:41:20 PM »
Baseball does it again..

Saturday night Fox game: LA/SD
Sunday night ESPN game: LA/SD

WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol