Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 11351 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #280 on: December 06, 2023, 11:20:12 AM »
Yanks get Verdugo for 1 season and now Juan Soto trade looking likely.. For 1 season. I think a trade is a mistake being the Padres want some major pieces in return. I would wait and try to sign him in free agency.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #281 on: December 09, 2023, 01:21:08 PM »
So apparently, it's official.  Shohei Ohtani has signed with the Dodgers for $700 million dollars and this contract lasts for 10 years.  That's a lot of money.  To put it to context, it's an average of $70M a year.  Fudge, the NHL's salary cap is currently at around $83.5M to spend on up to 23 players per team.  He makes around 85% of that on average now and yes, I know MLB makes more revenue than the NHL by a wide margin, but still.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39076745/shohei-ohtani-join-dodgers-10-year-700m-deal
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 01:26:17 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #282 on: December 09, 2023, 01:27:00 PM »
$WOW$
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #283 on: December 09, 2023, 01:30:04 PM »
Such a joke....it really is. Add that to the list of reasons I've fallen away from giving a crap about the MLB. Yeah....dude is good but he'll be lucky to be 90% of the pitcher he was before he was hurt and I'd bet anyone $50 right now he won't hit with the same success in the NL as he did in the AL. It's LA's money to do with what they please but this is just dumb. Good luck when in 4 or 5 years when he's a shell of his former glory and spending extended time on the DL
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Glasser

« Reply #284 on: December 09, 2023, 01:38:25 PM »
The Dodgers are morons.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #285 on: December 09, 2023, 01:40:01 PM »
He's gonna make more than the entire Oakland A's team  :rollin

Offline Glasser

« Reply #286 on: December 09, 2023, 02:06:04 PM »
108 grand per at bat. If Ohtani shits during a game he earns 15 grand.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #287 on: December 09, 2023, 03:30:25 PM »
My dad's comment- "Thankfully he's staying in California, we'll be needing that tax revenue in the face of our budget shortfall" :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #288 on: December 09, 2023, 04:09:15 PM »
The Brewers principal owner has a net worth of $700 million.

Seems fair.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #289 on: December 09, 2023, 04:46:45 PM »
HOOOOLY FFUUUUUUUU.... SHHIIIIIII.....!!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #290 on: December 09, 2023, 06:23:39 PM »
Well, assuming last season wasn't an anomaly for Bellinger, the Giants should scoop him up and make a very hard push for Yamamoto.

This will be now, what, 5 years in a row where the top free agent on the market fell through the fingers of the Giants because they were massively outbid? The Giants badly need new upper management. They are a big market team spending money like the A's the last 5 years. Farhan Zaidi is kind of a joke now. And the team owners wonder why attendance has fallen and they aren't getting to the playoffs....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #291 on: December 09, 2023, 06:50:17 PM »
Call me crazy but I don’t see that ‘missing out’ on having to pay a player that much money is a bad thing. There’s no world where any player comes close to ‘earning’ that type of money or being worth it.

Ohtani is 29 years old. He’s got limited ‘prime’ years left and that’s after a second surgery. This is just insane that he was handed a contract like this. It SO dumb…..this is just cringeworthy
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: December 09, 2023, 06:52:59 PM »
Call me crazy but I don’t see that ‘missing out’ on having to pay a player that much money is a bad thing. There’s no world where any player comes close to ‘earning’ that type of money or being worth it.

Ohtani is 29 years old. He’s got limited ‘prime’ years left and that’s after a second surgery. This is just insane that he was handed a contract like this. It SO dumb…..this is just cringeworthy
Oh, for sure. The $700 Million contract is insane. I thought the $500 Million everyone was throwing around was crazy too, but more palatable and reasonable than what he got.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #293 on: December 09, 2023, 07:10:14 PM »
In the end, the Giants will probably sign a bunch of castoffs again and limp to another barely .500 season. The Giants haven't signed a true superstar free agent since Barry Bonds in '92...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

« Reply #294 on: December 11, 2023, 11:16:25 AM »
Over/under of 3.5 years before Dodger fans view this contract as a terrible thing.

Hopefully, that's also the over/under on World Series we win in the next 10 years.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #295 on: December 11, 2023, 04:34:10 PM »
So apparently, Ohtani is doing the Dodgers a favor in deferring $680.00M of the $700M contract where the Dodgers are only paying him $2M a year for the length of the contract.  Then, the Dodgers will pay out the $68M a year for 10 years after the contract is over?  With no interest?  I see that the Dodgers can do that, but how does that help both parties?  I get Ohtani wants to win and is willing to sacrifice getting the money now so that the Dodgers can round out their roster.  I guess paying $680M over 10 years from 2034-2043 is better than paying that money from 2024-2033 for the Dodgers?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #296 on: December 11, 2023, 04:42:49 PM »
So apparently, Ohtani is doing the Dodgers a favor in deferring $680.00M of the $700M contract where the Dodgers are only paying him $2M a year for the length of the contract.  Then, the Dodgers will pay out the $68M a year for 10 years after the contract is over?  With no interest?  I see that the Dodgers can do that, but how does that help both parties?  I get Ohtani wants to win and is willing to sacrifice getting the money now so that the Dodgers can round out their roster.  I guess paying $680M over 10 years from 2034-2043 is better than paying that money from 2024-2033 for the Dodgers?
This smells like a Bobby Bonilla situation  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #297 on: December 11, 2023, 05:22:25 PM »

But he'll still count against their luxury tax after the 10 years, right?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #298 on: December 11, 2023, 05:43:19 PM »
I have no idea, since i have no idea how payroll works in the MLB, but I find these details fascinating to read.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #299 on: December 11, 2023, 06:00:06 PM »
He went to J.G. Wentworth and sang, "I HAVE A DEFERRED SALARY CONTRACT, BUT I NEED CASH NOW!!"

The "cap hit" for luxury tax purposes for 2024-33 is $46M, and I suspect that's the present value of $70M per year 10 years from now.  If that's correct, then the interest is built in already.  I also suspect that, without the deferrals, it'd have been a much lower annual number.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #300 on: December 11, 2023, 08:28:25 PM »
He went to J.G. Wentworth and sang, "I HAVE A DEFERRED SALARY CONTRACT, BUT I NEED CASH NOW!!"

The "cap hit" for luxury tax purposes for 2024-33 is $46M, and I suspect that's the present value of $70M per year 10 years from now.  If that's correct, then the interest is built in already.  I also suspect that, without the deferrals, it'd have been a much lower annual number.

:rollin

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #301 on: December 12, 2023, 08:54:05 AM »
This is kind of genius on Ohtani's part. The Dodgers will have plenty of money to pay other players while he's a Dodger, increasing their chances of multiple WS runs. Once his contract is done, the Dodger get slammed with huge payments that will make it difficult for them to pay other marquee free agents.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #302 on: December 12, 2023, 09:45:00 AM »
Baseball has been treading in dangerous territory for a while now. I am wondering if the Ohtani contract seal's the sports fate. Not right away, but the contract that sends the game spiraling.

I'm sorry, but MLB needs a cap. A hard cap. I'm a Yankees fan. We're just as guilty as anyone of spending like mad. But it isn't right. There needs to be a hard cap (with exceptions for homegrown talent) and a hard basement. (So teams like the ones the Ohtani contract's AAV is more than their entire payroll actually are forced to spend money.)

There comes a point where the business of a game just ruins it all. This sucks. Yes, Ohtani is compared to Ruth (he's not, not by long shot). But where does this spending end?

I don't know. I just think it's out of control. Good for him and his family to secure their financial futures for generations to come. But at what cost?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #303 on: December 12, 2023, 10:05:40 AM »
I'm sorry, but MLB needs a cap. A hard cap. I'm a Yankees fan. We're just as guilty as anyone of spending like mad. But it isn't right. There needs to be a hard cap (with exceptions for homegrown talent) and a hard basement. (So teams like the ones the Ohtani contract's AAV is more than their entire payroll actually are forced to spend money.)

I could not agree more.

Yes, Ohtani is compared to Ruth (he's not, not by long shot).

Well...Ruth was a full-time starting pitcher only from 1915-19.  During those years, he started 140 games (more than half of which were in 1916 and 1917) and put up an 87-45 record and a 2.16 ERA.  He was elite in 1916, but he was otherwise unremarkable by the standards of the day.  The thing is that he wasn't an elite hitter yet.  He didn't start hitting home runs until 1918, when he led MLB with 11.  He did the same with 29 in 1919.  During those two seasons, he pitched half and less than half as many innings (116.1 and 113.1) as he had in 1916 and 1917 (323.2 and 326.1).  Ruth pitched THEN hit, while Ohtani is doing both, at an elite level, at the same time.  The big concern for me is that he'll have more arm problems and eventually stop pitching, which means the Dodgers will be paying shitloads of money for a DH.  Both players were/are mega-celebrities, but Ohtani's international standing dwarfs what Ruth was.  At least one publication estimated Ohtani's annual net economic impact for the Dodgers to be in excess of $400M.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #304 on: December 12, 2023, 01:49:20 PM »
It took 100 years for Babe Ruth comparisons. There will be more "Ohtani's" in a lot less time. Ohtani is special but lets see how long that lasts.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #305 on: December 12, 2023, 01:57:18 PM »
It took 100 years for Babe Ruth comparisons. There will be more "Ohtani's" in a lot less time. Ohtani is special but lets see how long that lasts.

So, apparently the Yankees didn't sign Ohtani?  ;D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #306 on: December 12, 2023, 09:06:12 PM »
OK, that's cool. The Giants signed Jung Hoo Lee. Glad they didn't take the Bellinger bait. I'm not convinced he won't revert back to his crappy seasons with the Dodgers, especially when you look at his hard hit rate from last year being near the bottom of the league.

Now they just need to sign Yamamoto.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Glasser

« Reply #307 on: December 13, 2023, 11:02:31 AM »

So, apparently the Yankees didn't sign Ohtani?  ;D

Haha! He was never coming to the East Coast and he made that clear.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #308 on: December 14, 2023, 08:41:43 PM »
Looks like the Dodgers will be getting Glasnow. Seems they are trying to build an unstoppable dynasty in one offseason. There's also talk that the Dodgers are the frontrunner to land Yamamoto....

Meanwhile, the Giants sit on their hands and do practically nothing. If the Giants don't take out all the stops to land Yamamoto, I'm disowning this team until they kick Zaidi and his lackeys to the curb.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: December 14, 2023, 09:04:03 PM »
Samsara, I remember these grumblings back when ARod signed that contract with the Rangers, which I believe was $252M. That was big news up here obviously. They said these contracts weren't sustainable. They said the fans wouldn't come back after the 1994 strike (which was caused in part by the owners demand for a salary cap). And here we are now. The NFL has taken over as the #1 sport in America. But MLB is still here, and apparently doing well enough to offer $800M contracts to players.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #310 on: December 17, 2023, 12:50:55 PM »
Looks like the Dodgers will be getting Glasnow. Seems they are trying to build an unstoppable dynasty in one offseason.

I don't get this one.  Glasnow has been in the bigs for parts of 8 seasons.  Only once has he started more than 14 games.  Only twice has he pitched more than 100 innings.  His career is a mediocre 3.89.  He's had 6 seasons with an ERA greater than 4.00.  Never an all-star.  Never got votes for any awards.  So...he's not very good and doesn't eat innings.  And for that, we gave up a top-flight prospect like Ryan Pepiot?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #311 on: December 17, 2023, 12:53:41 PM »
Looks like the Dodgers will be getting Glasnow. Seems they are trying to build an unstoppable dynasty in one offseason.

I don't get this one.  Glasnow has been in the bigs for parts of 8 seasons.  Only once has he started more than 14 games.  Only twice has he pitched more than 100 innings.  His career is a mediocre 3.89.  He's had 6 seasons with an ERA greater than 4.00.  Never an all-star.  Never got votes for any awards.  So...he's not very good and doesn't eat innings.  And for that, we gave up a top-flight prospect like Ryan Pepiot?

Gee, I really feel bad for you.. :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #312 on: December 17, 2023, 01:05:27 PM »

Glasnow can be a top of the line starter if he can just stay healthy. Granted his past seems to indicate that may not go well for the Dodgers.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #313 on: December 21, 2023, 10:06:00 PM »
Wow. Yamamoto signs with the Dodgers....good grief.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Glasser

« Reply #314 on: December 22, 2023, 03:22:57 AM »
Wow. Yamamoto signs with the Dodgers....good grief.

I was really confident the Yankees would get him. They need another starter badly.