Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 11373 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #210 on: October 10, 2023, 10:18:29 AM »
:jamaritard:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline T-ski

« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2023, 12:49:59 PM »
Interesting factoid, teams who beat the Brewers in the playoffs seem to do well….

1981 - Yankees over Brewers in ALDS. Yankees lose WS to LA.
1982 - Cardinals over Brewers in WS.
2008 - Phillies over Brewers in NLDS. Phillies win WS against Tampa Bay.
2011 - Cardinals over Brewers in NLCS. Cardinals win WS against Texas.
2018 - Dodgers over Brewers in NLCS. Dodgers lose WS to Boston.
2019 - Nationals over Brewers in NLWC. Nationals win WS against Houston.
2020 - Dodgers over Brewers in NLWC series. Dodgers win WS against Tampa Bay.
2021 - Braves beat Brewers in NLDS series. Braves win WS against Houston.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2023, 01:25:15 PM »

Who were the 8 playoff teams in 1981? is an absolute KILLER trivia question, in no small part because two of the 8 teams switched leagues.

ALE:  Yankees > Brewers
ALW:  A's > Royals
NLE:  Expos > Phillies
NLW:  Dodgers > Astros

Here's another good one:  Why are the Brewers colors blue and gold, and what were they intended to be (and why)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2023, 01:25:58 PM »

Offline pg1067

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2023, 01:30:01 PM »
@#!@%!!

Dodgers?

Yep.

Its puzzling to me. I guess Freeman was looking dead red on that third strike. Huge at bat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2023, 01:31:55 PM »
@#!@%!!

Dodgers?

Yep.

Its puzzling to me. I guess Freeman was looking dead red on that third strike. Huge at bat.

I have no idea how a guy with as good an eye as he has just looks at that pitch, but....  Playoff Dodgers....

Offline Glasser

« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2023, 01:35:24 PM »
@#!@%!!

Dodgers?

Yep.

I have no idea how a guy with as good an eye as he has just looks at that pitch, but....  Playoff Dodgers....

I'm going to make a bold prediction here. The Dodgers reverse sweep. If the Dbacks lose tomorrow it will unnerve them, lack of postseason experience will do them in.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2023, 08:14:00 PM »

Who were the 8 playoff teams in 1981? is an absolute KILLER trivia question, in no small part because two of the 8 teams switched leagues.

ALE:  Yankees > Brewers
ALW:  A's > Royals
NLE:  Expos > Phillies
NLW:  Dodgers > Astros

Here's another good one:  Why are the Brewers colors blue and gold, and what were they intended to be (and why)?

I assume it’s because that’s what the Seattle Pilots colors were. No idea what they were intended to be.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2023, 09:41:48 AM »
I'm going to make a bold prediction here. The Dodgers reverse sweep. If the Dbacks lose tomorrow it will unnerve them, lack of postseason experience will do them in.

I hope you're right.  As I mentioned about a month ago, the Dodgers are bereft of starting pitching.  Even if game 1 was an aberration, Kershaw is a shell of what he once was.  Bobby Miller seemed to be solid going into the playoffs, but he couldn't find the zone.  And now we're counting on a game 3 starter who gave up more HR in 2023 than anyone else.  It's weird to think that the starting rotation should be Walker Buehler, Julio Urias, Dustin May, Trevor Bauer and Clayton Kershaw.  All that being said, if we can't score more than 2 runs per game, we ain't going anywhere.

I assume it’s because that’s what the Seattle Pilots colors were. No idea what they were intended to be.

The move of the Pilots from Seattle to Milwaukee didn't receive final approval until a week before the start of the 1970 season, so the Brewers simply took Pilots uniforms, removed the references to "Pilots" and "Seattle" and stitched on "Brewers."  Apparently, for at least part of the 1970 season, the outline of the Pilots logo remained visible on the unis.  Bud Selig had intended to use navy blue and red to honor the minor league Milwaukee Brewers that existed during the first half of the 20th century.  At some point during the 1970 season, they decided simply to keep the Pilots colors.

Also...RIP Baltimore.  The Rangers look HOT.  I didn't see the Twins/cheaters game.  If the Twins don't pull it out, I'll be a Rangers fan for a while.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2023, 11:20:05 PM »
Let's go Rangers!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2023, 01:05:42 PM »
Let's go Rangers!

I second that! I can't stand the Asstros.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2023, 01:20:58 PM »
At this point, it's basically a bunch of teams about which I have no strong feelings and the cheaters.  I'd probably rather not have Arizona win since they beat (destroyed) the Dodgers, but there's part of me that thinks AZ winning would make me feel slightly better about that awful series.  And for a division opponent, AZ hasn't hit the level of hatred that I have for the Giants and Padres.

In a situation like this, I typically default to rooting for the team that has never before won it all.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #223 on: October 12, 2023, 01:28:50 PM »
At this point, it's basically a bunch of teams about which I have no strong feelings and the cheaters.  I'd probably rather not have Arizona win since they beat (destroyed) the Dodgers, but there's part of me that thinks AZ winning would make me feel slightly better about that awful series.  And for a division opponent, AZ hasn't hit the level of hatred that I have for the Giants and Padres.

In a situation like this, I typically default to rooting for the team that has never before won it all.

Honestly the way the Phillies are playing I don't see them going away. The Braves ran out of gas and I think it ends tonight. Yes, seeing the Rangers win it all would be awesome. The Dbacks don't seem to be a bunch of hot shot douche bags so I have no issue with them, but the Astros are like herpes!   :censored

Offline dparrott

« Reply #224 on: October 12, 2023, 01:32:21 PM »
Dodgers fail again  ::)  10 out of last 11 postseasons end in failure.  I'm not even mad anymore.  It is what it is and it just keeps happening.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2023, 04:22:38 PM »
Dodgers fail again  ::)  10 out of last 11 postseasons end in failure.  I'm not even mad anymore.  It is what it is and it just keeps happening.

I don't so much mind that - primarily because EVERY MLB team (except for the Red Sox and the cheaters) has failed to win the World Series in 10 or 11 of the last 11 postseasons.

This season is weird, too, because the Dodgers overperformed in the regular season (the preseason over/under was around 92 wins).  Going into the postseason with a starting rotation of Clayton "I'm Much Older Than My Age Suggests and Am Probably Hiding an Injury" Kershaw, Lance Lynn, and Band-Aids was a recipe for disaster, but the fucking lineup scoring only 6 runs in 27 innings was ridiculous.

The Dodgers' starters flamed out spectacularly - 13 earned runs in 4.2 innings for a 25.07 ERA.

The bullpen, on the other hand, delivered 22.1 innings and gave up 6 earned runs for a 2.44 ERA.

Meanwhile, the offense was 17 for 96 for a .177 BA, with an OBP of .248 (26/105) and an SLG of .490.

Even worse, the team's two MVP candidates had a combined BA of .048 and OBP of .167 (1 for 21 with 3 BB and 4 K).  When you add in the other two 100 RBI guys, it's a BA of .119 and OBP of .229 (5 for 42 with 6 BB and 11 K).  PATHETIC!

Taking it back even further, since the Dodgers won the 2020 World Series, Betts has hit 17 for 72 with 9 walks - .236/.321/.306/.627 with only 6 RBI.

It's infuriating, but you can't fire the players.  I don't really blame Dave Roberts for anyone, and I feel like whomever they might hire in his place would still have to tow the company line, but it really might be time for a change of face.  The change that really needs to happen is in the GM chair, but that ain't happening.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2023, 05:01:04 PM »
I hear Gabe Kapler is looking for a job. :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #227 on: October 13, 2023, 09:50:49 AM »
FUCK NO!  I'd rather bring back Jim Tracy or Grady Little.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #228 on: October 13, 2023, 10:49:43 AM »
Let's go Rangers!

I'll second that!  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: October 13, 2023, 11:13:13 AM »
Let's go Rangers!

I'll second that!  :metal
Out of the teams left, I'll third that.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #230 on: October 13, 2023, 12:17:56 PM »
The Astros are approaching the the hate level I have for The Yankees, although I don't find their fans as repulsive still.

I am basically rooting for every team to beat them.

Why if the stars would have alligned, The Twins would have made the playoffs and no chance of facing The Yankees and Astros. Maybe in 2024.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #231 on: October 13, 2023, 12:24:24 PM »
The Astros are approaching the the hate level I have for The Yankees, although I don't find their fans as repulsive still.

I am basically rooting for every team to beat them.

Why if the stars would have alligned, The Twins would have made the playoffs and no chance of facing The Yankees and Astros. Maybe in 2024.

I'm a Yankee fan but I fully despise the organization as in the front office and I cannot stand going to a game. The employees of the stadium are miserable human beings. I grew up loving the team and now they're a joke but I can't just change my allegiance.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #232 on: October 17, 2023, 08:26:55 AM »
Harper goes off again. He is a legendary post season performer at this point, top 5 all time in post season OPS (min 150 plate appearances) with guys like Ruth and Gehrig.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2023, 11:37:16 AM »
Harper goes off again. He is a legendary post season performer at this point, top 5 all time in post season OPS (min 150 plate appearances) with guys like Ruth and Gehrig.

Virtually all of that is from this year and last year.  He had a great NLDS in 2014 but was, at best, mediocre in his other pre-2022 playoff appearances (NLDS in 2012, 2016 and 2017).  He also was a no-show in the World Series last year.

Seeing Texas take two from Houston - in Houston - has been great!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #234 on: October 17, 2023, 07:53:05 PM »
Hoping Max airs it out tomorrow but I have a feeling he's on a pitch count. A win tomorrow puts the Astros away. I hope.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #235 on: October 23, 2023, 10:54:29 AM »
Holy shit...this Texas/cheaters series has been nuts.  Six games played and the road team has won all of them (let's hope it's a copy of the 2019 World Series).  The near brawl in game 5.

By the way...and I'm sure I've gotten on this soapbox before...why does MLB allow dugouts and bullpens to empty for brawls?  Could you imagine if the NHL allowed everyone on the bench (including coaches) to jump on the ice every time there's a dust up?  If the batter wants to fight the catcher or pitcher, let him.  However, if anyone leaves the dugout or bullpen or any defensive player leaves his position to join in, then he gets automatically ejected and suspended for one game.  It'll save us a helluva lot of time.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: October 23, 2023, 11:08:50 AM »
Agreed on the bench clearing brawls.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #237 on: October 23, 2023, 11:55:27 AM »
An X game suspension automatically for leaving the dugout for a scuffle of that kind would end them real quick. I can also see that they're relatively rare, don't typically end with anything more than yelling and shoving, and they're exciting for fans and draw eyes to the game. So I can see why they're "allowed".

Offline pg1067

« Reply #238 on: October 23, 2023, 03:29:39 PM »
An X game suspension automatically for leaving the dugout for a scuffle of that kind would end them real quick. I can also see that they're relatively rare, don't typically end with anything more than yelling and shoving, and they're exciting for fans and draw eyes to the game. So I can see why they're "allowed".

Exactly.  And the fact that, often, nothing really happens is all the more reason to eliminate them.  They typically do nothing other than waste time.  You can even add a couple security guys whose entire job is to break up any one-on-one fights that might happen (akin to what NHL linesmen do, but without the real officiating aspect).

Offline Glasser

« Reply #239 on: October 23, 2023, 09:40:17 PM »
WOW!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #240 on: October 24, 2023, 10:09:28 AM »
Amazing performance by the Rangers - and specifically Adolis Garcia - last night.  It was so gratifying to see the cheaters and their fans be humiliated on their home field.  Good riddance!

By the way, the trash-hos were 1-5 at home in the playoffs this year.  LOL!

The NLCS game was over before I left the office yesterday.  I was kinda surprised the Diamondbacks nutted up.  Hoping the game tonight is epic since I really don't care either way who wins.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: October 24, 2023, 11:17:29 AM »
At this point I'd rather see the D'Backs make it to the World Series over the Phillies, but I'm rooting for the Rangers all the way.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Glasser

« Reply #242 on: October 24, 2023, 01:47:25 PM »
At this point I'd rather see the D'Backs make it to the World Series over the Phillies, but I'm rooting for the Rangers all the way.

I feel the same on both points!.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #243 on: October 24, 2023, 09:54:57 PM »
Interesting factoid, teams who beat the Brewers in the playoffs seem to do well….

1982 - Cardinals over Brewers in WS.
2008 - Phillies over Brewers in NLDS. Phillies win WS against Tampa Bay.
2011 - Cardinals over Brewers in NLCS. Cardinals win WS against Texas.
2018 - Dodgers over Brewers in NLCS. Dodgers lose WS to Boston.
2019 - Nationals over Brewers in NLWC. Nationals win WS against Houston.
2020 - Dodgers over Brewers in NLWC series. Dodgers win WS against Tampa Bay.
2021 - Braves beat Brewers in NLDS series. Braves win WS against Houston.

The streak continues with Arizona.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #244 on: October 25, 2023, 09:30:06 AM »
In other news, the Dodgers played 8 of their first 10 games against the Diamondbacks, with the snakes winning 5 of the 8.  Based on those games, I think Arizona may be the surprise team of the season.  They hit for contact and are FAST as fuck.  If their pitching staff can be average or a little above, they have a real chance to contend.

I think this counts as calling my shot!

They fell off quite a bit in the regular season.  I don't think they qualified for the playoffs until the last or second to last day.  I'm really surprised that they shut down the Phillies the way they did...especially with Brandon Pfaadt on the mound for game 7.  After one of the most epic NLDS series against Atlanta, Bryce Harper was basically a no show for this series, and Schwarber couldn't get it done all by himself.

The World Series should be an interesting battle between slug and old-school, make contact and steal bases baseball.  Go Rangers (but I won't be unhappy if AZ wins)!