Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 11369 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2023, 05:07:23 PM »
Listen to you Felger. So full of shit. Put a napkin on your feet. Lol

Guess who's in the game!!

And running for his life. The Hoodie is to blame.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2023, 05:51:18 PM »
Damn...Wakefield was a big part of the Pirates team that should've won the 1992 World Series (but for Barry Bonds failing to head Andy Van Slyke's recommendation, which resulted in Bonds being unable to throw out Sid Bream from deep shortstop).  I was surprised to hear he was 57.

The playoffs are now set.

The first round:

- Minnesota (3) v. Toronto (6)

- Tampa Bay (4) v. Texas (5)

- Brewers (3) v. Arizona (6)

- Philadelphia (4) v. Miami (5)

After going 49-32 in the first half of the season, the Rangers put up a 41-40 record in the second half, including a 2-4 mark in the final six games with a chance to win the division.  It really seemed like no one wanted to win the AL West.  Despite Bruce Bochy's substantial playoff pedigree, it wouldn't surprise me if the Rays sweep the Rangers out of the playoffs.  I honestly think the two NL series could go either way.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2023, 10:46:07 PM »
Last MLB games today for:

- Terry Francona
- Miguel Cabrera
- Adam Wainwright
- Joey Votto (maybe)

Francona and Cabrera are locks for the HOF.  Not sure about the other two.  Wainwright just barely got his 200th win.  Only 2,200 K.  Mediocre ERA, no CYA, only 3 ASG, and his postseason numbers are pretty pedestrian.  Votto is somewhat the same.  Despite a strong, 17-year career, he isn't really close to any of the traditional milestone numbers, and no significant postseason numbers (in limited opportunities).  If either of them were close, though, I'd give them a bump for playing their entire careers with the same teams (especially Votto for sticking with a mostly bad team).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2023, 10:50:36 PM »
Last MLB games today for:

- Terry Francona
- Miguel Cabrera
- Adam Wainwright
- Joey Votto (maybe)

Francona and Cabrera are locks for the HOF.  Not sure about the other two.  Wainwright just barely got his 200th win.  Only 2,200 K.  Mediocre ERA, no CYA, only 3 ASG, and his postseason numbers are pretty pedestrian.  Votto is somewhat the same.  Despite a strong, 17-year career, he isn't really close to any of the traditional milestone numbers, and no significant postseason numbers (in limited opportunities).  If either of them were close, though, I'd give them a bump for playing their entire careers with the same teams (especially Votto for sticking with a mostly bad team).
Yeah, Votto and Wainwright both fall into that "good, but not great" camp for me. Cabrera is a lock for HOF though. As is Francona.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2023, 12:11:41 AM »
The only Ms game I watched was the one we lost.

I’m going to get a complex with incidents like that.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2023, 07:44:21 AM »
Here's hoping the Twins break their 18 game playoff losing streak! I think they have a very good chance. They've been playing good ball the last couple months.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2023, 09:05:28 AM »
Go Brewers!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2023, 10:06:10 AM »
Yeah, Votto and Wainwright both fall into that "good, but not great" camp for me.

Wainwright's numbers surprised me when I looked them up.  I had the sense that he had been more dominant, but maybe that's shellshock from the several years when the Cards spanked the Dodgers in the playoffs.  He was basically a non-contributing rookie when the Cards won the Series in '06, and he didn't play in '11, when they won again.

Here's hoping the Twins break their 18 game playoff losing streak! I think they have a very good chance. They've been playing good ball the last couple months.

The Twins are the team I know the least about.  They were very much under the radar in the worst division in baseball.  I don't have any rooting interest between the Twins and Jays; I just hope whomever wins that series sweeps the Cheatros out of the playoffs.

I'll be curious to see how the lower seeds do in the divisional round.  Last year, both lower seeds won in the NL, but the higher seeds won in the AL.  Last year, I think the layoff hurt the Dodgers, but I think it'll help them this year.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2023, 12:07:33 PM »
Yeah, Votto and Wainwright both fall into that "good, but not great" camp for me.

Wainwright's numbers surprised me when I looked them up.  I had the sense that he had been more dominant, but maybe that's shellshock from the several years when the Cards spanked the Dodgers in the playoffs.  He was basically a non-contributing rookie when the Cards won the Series in '06, and he didn't play in '11, when they won again.

The Twins are the team I know the least about.  They were very much under the radar in the worst division in baseball.  I don't have any rooting interest between the Twins and Jays; I just hope whomever wins that series sweeps the Cheatros out of the playoffs.

I'll be curious to see how the lower seeds do in the divisional round.  Last year, both lower seeds won in the NL, but the higher seeds won in the AL.  Last year, I think the layoff hurt the Dodgers, but I think it'll help them this year.

I'll pull for Geddy Lee's team of choice in that matchup.  Go Jays!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2023, 01:04:41 PM »

The Twins have great starting pitching, so-so bullpen, and streaky offense lead by a lot of really young guys. They've got a few key injuries at the moment, so depending on how well those guys bounce back from their injuries and play in the playoffs, they could either make a run or lose two quick games and be out. They've been playing way better in recent months, actually looking deserving of winning a division instead of just being the default team that manages to win a horrible division. It'll be a fun series. Being at home will certainly help the Twins.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2023, 01:26:03 PM »
I just looked at the Twins roster.  I knew more names than I expected, but pretty much all of them from other teams.  Two names I didn't see that I expected to see, though:  Byron Buxton and Carlos Correa.  What happened to them?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2023, 01:31:53 PM »
I just looked at the Twins roster.  I knew more names than I expected, but pretty much all of them from other teams.  Two names I didn't see that I expected to see, though:  Byron Buxton and Carlos Correa.  What happened to them?
Injuries. I thought Correa was supposed to be ready for the playoffs. Not sure if final rosters are set yet.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 01:43:23 PM by lordxizor »

Offline T-ski

« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2023, 03:05:00 PM »
Go Brewers!

…and the Brewers just announced Brandon Woodruff, quite possibly their best starter this year, is out with a shoulder injury.

I’m sad.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2023, 03:13:05 PM »
Injuries. I thought Correa was supposed to be ready for the playoffs. Not sure if final rosters are set yet.

I read an article at lunch.  Apparently, for the WC round, teams can do either a 15/11 or 14/12 split of position players and pitchers.  In 2022, none of the WC teams used more than 10, but the Twins are apparently projected (by a couple guys with The Athletic) to do the 14/12 split, with Correa on the roster, but not Buxton.  Not sure when final rosters have to be submitted.

Go Brewers!

…and the Brewers just announced Brandon Woodruff, quite possibly their best starter this year, is out with a shoulder injury.

I’m sad.

I'm not.   :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2023, 08:38:47 PM »
There is a lot of talent on this team. I hope they just make the necessary adjustments and don’t throw out the baby with the bath water.

This is a confounding team. They can be so good, the nucleus is there, the rotation is solid. They seem to be generally likable guys. They could probably be formidable in a postseason series. And yet they just cannot get over the hump, and they don't have faith the front office will help them get there.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2023, 05:53:46 AM »

I read an article at lunch.  Apparently, for the WC round, teams can do either a 15/11 or 14/12 split of position players and pitchers.  In 2022, none of the WC teams used more than 10, but the Twins are apparently projected (by a couple guys with The Athletic) to do the 14/12 split, with Correa on the roster, but not Buxton.  Not sure when final rosters have to be submitted.
I'm hearing the same regarding Correa and Buxton. Buxton is so damn frustrating as a player. He can be brilliant. Then he gets hurt and is a shell of himself. Another lost season for him. Correa's been playing hurt much of the season and hasn't been his normal self either. I'm actually most concerned about Royce Lewis, who has been carrying the team offensively the last couple months until tweaking a hamstring a couple weeks ago. I'd take him back over Correa.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2023, 09:28:53 AM »
Looks like Lewis and Correa are on the roster; Buxton is not.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #192 on: October 03, 2023, 04:13:03 PM »
What'd I tell ya. Royce Lewis. 2 home runs.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2023, 04:45:04 PM »
I can see why you wanted him in the lineup!  Can the bullpen hold it?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #194 on: October 03, 2023, 04:49:23 PM »
I can see why you wanted him in the lineup!  Can the bullpen hold it?
we'll see. They're pretty spotty at times. Hopefully the offense can put another run or two on the board

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2023, 08:16:31 PM »
The Mariners were established in 1977. They have been to the playoffs 5 times. They are the only existing franchise to never make the World Series.

The general manager just stated "...So we're actually doing the fan base a favor in asking for their patience to win the World Series while we continue to build a sustainably good roster."

The general manager of a team that has never made the World Series in nearly a half century of existence is asking their fans to be patient.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline T-ski

« Reply #196 on: October 04, 2023, 07:24:52 AM »
Brewers two All-Star pitchers combined to give up all 6 runs in their 6-3 loss. Not ideal.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #197 on: October 04, 2023, 11:04:11 AM »
Brewers two All-Star pitchers combined to give up all 6 runs in their 6-3 loss. Not ideal.

You guys are in big trouble with Zac Gallen going today.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #198 on: October 04, 2023, 02:39:23 PM »
Speaking of big trouble, I hope no one put any money on the Rays.  Shutout 4-0 yesterday and down 7-0 in the 6th today.  Ouch.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #199 on: October 04, 2023, 03:49:14 PM »
Bye-bye Rays.  At least they scored a run.

Rangers v. Orioles in the ALDS.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2023, 05:37:15 PM »
And...the Jays are gone too.  Another team that barely showed up offensively.  Bummer for Geddy Lee, but great for Twins fans.  First series win in 21 years!  I and all Dodgers fans will be Twins fans for at least the next 10 days.

Also pulling for the Brewers today.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #201 on: October 05, 2023, 09:16:14 AM »
Well...the Wild Card series were a bit of a formality this year.

I only saw highlights from the two AL series and paid more attention to the MIL/AZ games when I got home, but it looks like the Rays, Jays and Marlins didn't even show up, and the Brewers scored a grand total of 0 runs in innings 3-9 in both games.

I like the Dodgers v. Arizona match-up.  The snakes won 5 of 8 games in the first 10 days of the season, but the Dodgers won all 5 games in August.  An obvious key will be keeping Corbin Carroll off the bases and controlling the running game when runners do get on base.  I say Dodgers in 4.

For the divisional round, I think things will be much more competitive, with on the Dodgers series not going the full 5 games:

- Baltimore (1) v. Texas (5)

- Houston (2) v. Minnesota (3)

- Atlanta (1) v. Philadelphia (4)

- Los Angeles (2) v. Arizona (6)

Offline T-ski

« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2023, 12:42:26 PM »
Brewers still have great pitching and a mediocre offense. I expect them to be around .500 but with a little luck they could make the post season.

My preseason prediction on the Brewers. Guess I know my team pretty well.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2023, 01:25:41 PM »
Brewers still have great pitching and a mediocre offense. I expect them to be around .500 but with a little luck they could make the post season.

My preseason prediction on the Brewers. Guess I know my team pretty well.

I'd say 92-70 is a bit better than predicted.

I can't remember a guy who spiked as high as Yelich did in 2018 & 19 and has been pretty mediocre.  Dude should have had two consecutive MVPs.  What happened?

On a completely separate issue, does it seem to anyone else like the big power players aren't driving in as many runs as they used to?  When I was growing up, guys would hit 30 HR and drive in 125 runs.  Nowadays, you're seeing guys hit 40-45 HR but only driving in 90 runs.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Is it just a product of everyone trying to hit HRs and, as a result, not getting on base as much in front of the power hitters?  Or am I just imagining all this?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2023, 03:54:32 PM »
lot of solo homers and bullpen moves. Managers will tell their staff to give power hitters pitches when nobody's on base.

I'm a happy Twins fan, and actually could have gone to the game yesterday, but passed on it due to not being able to get out of work (and my wife would have not stopped reminding me about it had I).

And I'm still baffled as to why Toronto pulled Berrios in the 4th inning after 47? pitches and a walk?  :huh:

However, I'm not convinced yet they will be able to beat the Astros based on recent playoff experience. However, at least the Twins pitching staff is better than it was on those teams that were dismissed so easily in the playoffs in the past.

Part of me would rather play The Yankees, per the real monkey to get off the Twins back would be defeating them (6 straight times facing them, and 10 consecutive games), but the Astros are 2nd, who they lost to in 2020.

https://www.mlb.com/twins/history/postseason-results

Offline pg1067

« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2023, 04:13:47 PM »
The cheaters aren't as good this year as they have been over the past half dozen years.  If the Dodgers can make it to the Series (and that's a big-ass "if"), part of me would like revenge, and part of me is terrified about another loss in a Series in which they might not be cheating.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2023, 04:43:49 PM »
It’s definitely because more guys are hitting homeruns and driving in themselves, plus more K’s and worse on-base percentages across the board.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2023, 08:41:32 PM »
Is this an atypical game for Pablo Lopez?  This kid has looked amazing.

And his back story - being fluent in four languages, graduating high school with a 19.8 GPA (on a scale of 1-20) and being accepted to medical school, all at the age of 16 - is wild.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #208 on: October 09, 2023, 05:49:22 AM »
Nice bounce back win for the Twins last night. They needed to take at least one of two in Houston, which they did. Back to Minneapolis now with a chance to clinch at home. Gotta say that despite a disappointing regular season, Correa has been earning his paycheck is postseason.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2023, 08:51:06 AM »
@#!@%!!