Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 11371 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2023, 09:10:13 AM »
Baseball does it again..

Saturday night Fox game: LA/SD
Sunday night ESPN game: LA/SD

WTF??

Interestingly (and I may be playing a bit fast and loose with that word), the regular, local Dodgers station had to give way to ESPN for the Sunday game but not to Fox for the Saturday game (I assume Fox showed a different game out here).  At the end of the day, though, they're different broadcasters, and one doesn't care what game the other is showing.

By the way, while he's slowed his roll a bit during this series against the Padres, Freddie Freeman has been on an absolute tear lately, hitting .500 in the 15 games leading up to the Padres series (he's 3 for 12 in the first three games of the Padres series, and that's a "slump" by his standard).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline T-ski

« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2023, 06:48:32 PM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2023, 06:54:34 PM »
So, any Orioles fans want to try and explain this?

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/orioles-announcer-suspension-struggles-rays-video-reaction
Wow, that's just stupid. Someone is going to get fired and he will be back in the broadcast booth soon, I'd imagine.

Funny thing is. The Giants broadcasters always point out stuff like this for the Giants when it's relevant. Why this is any different, I haven't got a clue. As I said, I'm sure he'll be back.....unless something went on behind the scenes that we aren't privy to. :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2023, 09:17:17 AM »
From what I've heard, literally everyone who has commented on this has said the O's were wrong.  What's even more strange is that he was simply reading what was on the screen.  Was he responsible for that content as well?  Was the director of the pregame show also suspended for allowing it to happen?  I'm sure the guy could have his pick of about a dozen other teams' jobs in MLB.

In other news, we actually had a real fight in an MLB game.  https://www.mlb.com/news/tim-anderson-jose-ramirez-emmanuel-clase-suspended

I'm sure the Orioles guy could do a better call than what the awful Cleveland PBP guy did.

Tim Anderson sent out a series of incoherent tweets the next day.  https://nypost.com/2023/08/06/white-sox-tim-anderson-breaks-silence-on-jose-ramirez-brawl/

Anderson got 6 games and Ramirez 3 games (along with a few other 1-game suspensions and fines).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2023, 11:45:41 AM »
Anderson can't even form a coherent sentence. Ramirez must have hit him harder than I thought.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2023, 05:14:02 PM »
So, any Orioles fans want to try and explain this?

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/orioles-announcer-suspension-struggles-rays-video-reaction

at last night's game, chants of 'Free Kevin Brown' arose during the 7th inning.  O's broadcasters said nothing, the national announcers did.  Reports are that those waiving the signs were ejected.   https://baltimorefishbowl.com/stories/free-kevin-brown-chants-erupt-at-camden-yards-fans-ejected-announcers-absence-sends-ripples-through-baseball-community/?fbclid=IwAR2L6FJ6dtmYBLvsAQBG4LOiNaOqHd8GmUncuE9vW8NpGJsHQ6z_WIn81E0

I'm not a 'fan' per se, but I've lived here since 2000, so here goes:

First of all, John Angelos is a d*ck.  Just like his old man Peter Angelos (who fired Jon Miller because he wasn't enough of a homer  :facepalm:)  The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Back on MLK Day, he held a presser stating he'd open up the books in a few weeks for all to see regarding negotiations on extending the O's lease at Camden Yards.  Today is August 10th.  The books remain closed.  <cricket noises>  The deadline for extending the lease years came and went, but the team will stay in Baltimore 'as long as Fort McHenry'.  A new agreement before the All Star break came and went. 

Much more from Ken Rosenthal and Angelos' desire for a beaucoup corporate welfare amount.

https://theathletic.com/4760624/2023/08/09/baltimore-orioles-camden-yards-john-angelos-lease/

Just out today is a leaked note that John Angelos was going to wait for Wes Moore to take office as governor.  Well, that was in January. Supposedly Mr. A would settle for a two year extension. 

Here's a good one that I learned this week.  Radio station 105.7 The Fan, which carried O's games for many years until 2023, is not allowed to play any audio highlights from the O's MASN TV or radio broadcasts.  Instead, they have to resort to using recordings from their opponents.   :facepalm:  And there's still the matter of the Angelos family's continuing lawsuit and appeals against the Nationals as to MASN revenue sharing. 

I wouldn't put it past this pathetically run organization, that the 'Nashville Sounds' is a wish they want to come true in the next few years.

On a brighter note going back a few weeks......   thank gawd former MLB commissioners didn't push for bufuggly AS 'uniform' uniforms back in the day

« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 06:24:06 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2023, 07:37:17 PM »
Yeah, this whole Orioles/Kevin Brown thing is bizarre. It's like the ownership is intentionally trying to piss off the entire baseball world and turn them against them.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2023, 04:57:03 AM »
Man what a legendary photo. 10,000 hits and 1,700 homers standing there.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2023, 09:07:56 AM »
Dragon...FYI, the Athletic article is paywalled.

Imagine fielding an outfield of Aaron (LF), Mays (CF) and Clemente (RF)!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2023, 11:57:27 AM »
^
Sorry....I've been a subscriber for a couple of years, and that fact never crossed my mind.  Best dollar a month I've spent in that time.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2023, 07:17:13 PM »
Imagine fielding an outfield of Aaron (LF), Mays (CF) and Clemente (RF)!
That would have been an absolute nightmare for the opposition.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2023, 01:50:43 PM »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Glasser

« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2023, 09:48:16 PM »
This could put a big dent in the Rays' post-season hopes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2023/08/14/wander-franco-tampa-bay-rays-shortstop-mlb-investigation/70586327007/

And not to mention the rest of Wanders life. Why? Just.... Why?

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2023, 02:03:27 AM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2023/08/14/wander-franco-tampa-bay-rays-shortstop-mlb-investigation/70586327007/

Eager to see how this pans out. He's a tremendous talent.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Glasser

« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2023, 10:17:19 PM »

Eager to see how this pans out. He's a tremendous talent.

Its getting worse for him. Apparently another girl, age 17 came forward and allegedly the 14 year old came out with this because of lack of "hush money".

Offline Glasser

« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2023, 10:24:08 PM »
The Yankees are a game under 500 now. They look lost.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2023, 07:26:28 AM »
Ohtani with a torn UCL. That SUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKKS . . . .

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2023, 08:23:13 AM »
Ohtani with a torn UCL. That SUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKKS . . . .

When he homered against the Rangers last week, at the Rangers home field, the crowd roared and gave him a standing ovation. THAT's how much of a stud he is and if you're a fan of baseball it's well deserved.

It sucks about the injury.  :tdwn

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2023, 12:20:16 PM »
It's hilarious that the 2 biggest payrolls in baseball are both in last place right now. Even more so that they're both NY teams.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2023, 12:25:25 PM »
As a Mets fan I'm impressed they cut their losses and took advantage of the trade deadline. Cohen saw his investment wasn't working and changed direction.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2023, 12:28:25 PM »
As a Mets fan I'm impressed they cut their losses and took advantage of the trade deadline. Cohen saw his investment wasn't working and changed direction.

I'm a Met fan as well and I agree with this, painful as it might be for this season and probably the next 1 or 2.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2023, 01:29:59 PM »

I'm a Met fan as well and I agree with this, painful as it might be for this season and probably the next 1 or 2.
I think he was following the advice of that Kenny Rogers song.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2023, 01:45:58 PM »
Ha! One of the most expensive hands of poker ever played.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline pg1067

« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2023, 05:49:28 PM »
Not Major League Baseball, but I got to go see the Binghamton Rumble Ponies at the New Hampshire Fisher Cats last night (Mets @ Blue Jays AA affiliates).  The Cats were down 8-3 in the bottom of the 6th and then proceeded to score NINE unanswered runs to win the game 12-8.  Mets fans:  if this game was any indication, you have no decent pitching at the AA level.

As an added bonus, it was "hockey night in Manchester," so they were celebrating the former LA Kings AHL affiliate (and, briefly, ECHL) Manchester Monarchs.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2023, 11:39:01 PM »
Just bumping because GO MARINERS!!  ;D ;D :rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2023, 07:22:37 PM »
First of all, kudos to whomever recommended the 130s Field Boxes at Fenway (I think it was Tim).  My view from Wednesday's debacle against the Cheatstros:

Second, I'm looking forward to flying home tomorrow.  I haven't seen a Dodger game since last Tuesday.  The TV at our AirBnB in New Hampshire didn't have access when the Dodgers were in Boston (and I was otherwise occupied for two of the three games), and all of the games this week have been on at 10:10 eastern time and not on any channel out here anyway!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2023, 07:26:57 PM »
First of all, kudos to whomever recommended the 130s Field Boxes at Fenway (I think it was Tim).  My view from Wednesday's debacle against the Cheatstros:

Second, I'm looking forward to flying home tomorrow.  I haven't seen a Dodger game since last Tuesday.  The TV at our AirBnB in New Hampshire didn't have access when the Dodgers were in Boston (and I was otherwise occupied for two of the three games), and all of the games this week have been on at 10:10 eastern time and not on any channel out here anyway!

I don't think I can take credit, but yeah, those are great seats.

Look at how sparse the crowd is. The Sox are fucking sad. the owner doesn't care, the GM has no clue about baseball, they won't spend money.

Even though I think he knew what the Dodgers were offering ahead of time, it was still nice to watch Mookie come back and shake his ass back at them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2023, 11:37:45 PM »
It's the 1st of September, and the Mariners are in 1st place in their division. Fans haven't felt this optimistic about baseball this late in the summer for 2 decades. The only current team to never make a series appearance is a badge this franchise that has been pathetic for most of my lifetime needs to shed. LET'S GO MARINERS!

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Glasser

« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2023, 11:41:47 AM »
It's the 1st of September, and the Mariners are in 1st place in their division. Fans haven't felt this optimistic about baseball this late in the summer for 2 decades. The only current team to never make a series appearance is a badge this franchise that has been pathetic for most of my lifetime needs to shed. LET'S GO MARINERS!

Although im a Yankee fan I would love to see the M's get to a WS!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2023, 05:15:14 PM »
Yeah that would be cool.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2023, 05:52:38 PM »

27-0 in championships, but we'll always have 1995!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Glasser

« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2023, 07:40:11 PM »

27-0 in championships, but we'll always have 1995!

Ouch! .I wanted to see Mattingly in the postseason. They look good! Mets need to lose tonight and the Yanks are holding on to slim lead over the Astros.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2023, 07:46:39 PM »
If the Yankees win that series there's a good chance we aren't even talking about the Seattle Mariners as an entity in 2023.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2023, 06:02:41 PM »
I don't think I can take credit, but yeah, those are great seats.

Look at how sparse the crowd is. The Sox are fucking sad. the owner doesn't care, the GM has no clue about baseball, they won't spend money.

Well...you can have credit anyway.  Also, that shot was about 30 minutes before the game started.  Eventually, the only open seats (aside from a few scattered seats) were in the last rows of the bleachers, a few rows in the sun beyond the Pesky Pole, and in the last sections on the top deck.  It was a VERY solid crowd for a team that was languishing and didn't put on a great performance (save for one half inning).

Also, I got a heads up about Sedanne Rafaelo from the usher at the Portland Sea Dogs game the night before.  You got a good one there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2023, 06:18:42 PM »
Attendance is actually down, and there's a lot of out of towners going. Shit, I'd go if I was vacationing in Boston. We always catch a game in the local cities that we visit.

The owner doesn't give a shit. Doesn't want to spend any money.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol