Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 11119 times)

Offline Dream Team

2023 MLB Thread
« on: March 23, 2023, 06:44:58 AM »
Well a new season is upon us . . . how do you like your team's chances? As a Red Sox fan, I have no optimism whatsoever about this upcoming season. One bright spot might be if Chris Sale is finally 100% good to go for a full season.

Offline pg1067

Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 09:55:06 AM »
Red Sox

I.e., Dodgers East.   :biggrin:

Dodgers will be fine offensively, but there are huge question marks with the pitching staff.  Julio Urias is probably the least concerning guy.  Will Walker Buehler be back this season and, if so, will he return to being one of the best pitchers in the league?  Does Kershaw still have it, and how much time will he miss on account of his inevitable back issues?  Dustin May has absolutely filthy stuff, but has he learned to control it?  When will Tony Gonsolin be back and can he duplicate what he did last year?  Can Mark Prior and his staff get Noah Syndegard back anywhere close to what he used to be?  Will any of our minor league studs (Bobby Miller and Gavin Stone) contribute?

I think the Dodgers will benefit from the anti-shift rule, but they really need to have worked on swinging for contact.  WAY too many strikeouts the last few years.

Ultimately, the Padres are probably the favorite to win the NL West again, but I have full confidence that the Dodgers will compete for the division and be no worse than a WC.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 05:47:38 PM »
After the complete fiasco that was the Giants offseason. I am not optimistic at all. More castoffs that may contribute more so than for their previous teams, but I'm not holding my breath for career years out of anyone.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 07:14:50 AM »
The Guardians should benefit from eliminating the shift.  They swing for contact and are aggressive on the base paths.  Pitching is pretty solid and they play in a weak division.  Should be in the hunt for the division title all year long.  I think my main concern is the outfield being a black hole offensively, but if Oscar Gonzalez can pick up from where he left off last year and Steven Kwan continues to spray the ball all over the place, they should be in good shape. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 07:18:00 AM »
I think the Twins will be in contention for the AL central throughout most of the season but ultimately fall short of the playoffs. Even if they do manage to squeak in, I doubt they'll go beyond the first round. But we'll see. Maybe they'll surprise me and be better.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 12:44:38 PM »
Brewers still have great pitching and a mediocre offense. I expect them to be around .500 but with a little luck they could make the post season.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 04:04:08 PM »
The NFL seems to have great success in creating parity. I think MLB needs to borrow a few tricks so that the little guys can compete, and that includes an enforced MINIMUM payroll for cheapskate owners.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 04:05:24 PM »
The NFL seems to have great success in creating parity. I think MLB needs to borrow a few tricks so that the little guys can compete, and that includes an enforced MINIMUM payroll for cheapskate owners.

Yup.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 03:47:51 PM »
Anthony Volpe just made the Yankees Opening Day roster. LFG!!!!!! :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 06:45:09 PM »

Yup.

The Padres have proven that the whole "small market" cry is bullshit.  The Padres are in the 5th smallest MLB market but had the 5th highest 2022 payroll (and it's only grown bigger).  Revenue sharing is bullshit without a salary floor.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 12:24:54 PM »
Budgets and spending are going to be really interesting with the collapse of the RSN's. Many of these teams rely on that money and I don't see the RSN's surviving. MLB is going to have to step in and blow the whole model up and start over. The next few years might be a bit interesting financially.

I'm just looking forward to the end of the blackout model and the cord cutting solutions they are working on.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 01:49:06 PM »
Anthony Volpe just made the Yankees Opening Day roster. LFG!!!!!! :tup

Was very happy to see that, the kid earned it. Like the last few years I feel like the Yankees should be strong WS contenders if a bunch of "ifs" break their way (health, continued development of players). I feel like the most likely outcome this year is another second or third round playoff disappointment.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 05:01:35 PM »
Boston gives up 10 runs on opening day? Sounds about right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 01:02:05 PM »
OK Red Sox fans...

As some of you know, my kid goes to school in New Hampshire, so I'm squaring things away for her return to school in August.  I'm taking vacation the week after I drop her off and am planning to go to the Sox game on August 30 against Houston.  I've been to Fenway 2-3 times before and (as best I can remember) have sat in the first base side grandstand seats (sections 14-16 or thereabouts).  Looking for something a little different.  I'm not paying the silly prices for Monster seats, but otherwise, money isn't much of an object.  I think I probably also don't want to do the right/centerfield bleachers (but what do I know?).  I was thinking maybe something out by the Pesky pole.  Looks like I could actually get the front row in section 4, just past the pole.  However, I've heard that the angle of the seats out there might not be so good?  What do you guys think?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2023, 01:20:32 PM »
Nice opening series by the Twins. Two shut-outs and a series sweep. Against the Royals, so not a reflection of being a great team, but certainly what you would expect a good team to do against a crappy one. I really wish I had a way to watch their games. I refuse to pay for cable and MLB's streaming app blacks out your local team. So I just watch highlights the next day.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2023, 01:52:52 PM »
Rangers are 3-0!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2023, 02:38:18 PM »
OK Red Sox fans...

As some of you know, my kid goes to school in New Hampshire, so I'm squaring things away for her return to school in August.  I'm taking vacation the week after I drop her off and am planning to go to the Sox game on August 30 against Houston.  I've been to Fenway 2-3 times before and (as best I can remember) have sat in the first base side grandstand seats (sections 14-16 or thereabouts).  Looking for something a little different.  I'm not paying the silly prices for Monster seats, but otherwise, money isn't much of an object.  I think I probably also don't want to do the right/centerfield bleachers (but what do I know?).  I was thinking maybe something out by the Pesky pole.  Looks like I could actually get the front row in section 4, just past the pole.  However, I've heard that the angle of the seats out there might not be so good?  What do you guys think?

I wouldn't sit anywhere near the Pesky Pole. Front row on the field is great....but you're still in the outfield.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2023, 04:19:43 PM »
OK Red Sox fans...

I wouldn't sit anywhere near the Pesky Pole. Front row on the field is great....but you're still in the outfield.

I don't necessarily mind the outfield, but I don't want to have to crane my neck to see what's happening on the field.  Someone else suggested field boxes from behind the plate down the third base line because they're in the shade (which is appealing since it'll be the end of August).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2023, 05:43:02 PM »
OK Red Sox fans...

I don't necessarily mind the outfield, but I don't want to have to crane my neck to see what's happening on the field.  Someone else suggested field boxes from behind the plate down the third base line because they're in the shade (which is appealing since it'll be the end of August).

Yes, that would be the correct seat location.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2023, 10:05:57 AM »
OK Red Sox fans...

Yes, that would be the correct seat location.

It is done.  Loge 133 on the aisle.  I almost got front row of the section, but I saw some comments that there's a lot of distracting foot traffic (which probably explains why a LOT of front row seats were available for the loge).

Now, all that remains is to decide if I fill out the week with WooSox and Yard Goats games.  I already bought tix for the Sea Dogs and Fisher Cats.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2023, 12:17:34 PM »
Excellent seats Paul, and hell yes, the foot traffic doesn't stop.
We were in 141 for the Winter Classic.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2023, 04:20:14 PM »
Since no one else did...

The Rays just missed a historical start to the season.  13 straight to start the season, tying the '82 Braves and the '87 Brewers, and missed setting the record by losing to Toronto yesterday (and then dropped another one today).  Despite the impressive start, the '82 Braves BARELY won the NL west (with an 89-73 record) and lost to the eventual World Series champion Cardinals.  The '87 Brewers finished with a 91-71 record but finished 7 games behind the Tigers in the AL east.  We'll see how the Rays do.

In other news, the Dodgers played 8 of their first 10 games against the Diamondbacks, with the snakes winning 5 of the 8.  Based on those games, I think Arizona may be the surprise team of the season.  They hit for contact and are FAST as fuck.  If their pitching staff can be average or a little above, they have a real chance to contend.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2023, 09:23:28 AM »
Does Kershaw still have it, and how much time will he miss on account of his inevitable back issues?

So far so good.  He looked like vintage Kershaw last night, notching career win #200 with 7 shutout innings and 9 strikeouts.  The only time he was in any danger was one batter into the game when Jason Heyward botched a fly ball (presumably lost it in the sun or the lights) into a 3-base error.  Fortunately, Kersh struck out the side.  And the Dodgers thus far suspect bullpen didn't botch things in the 8th and 9th.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2023, 08:11:50 AM »
Since no one else did...

The Rays just missed a historical start to the season.  13 straight to start the season, tying the '82 Braves and the '87 Brewers, and missed setting the record by losing to Toronto yesterday (and then dropped another one today).  Despite the impressive start, the '82 Braves BARELY won the NL west (with an 89-73 record) and lost to the eventual World Series champion Cardinals.  The '87 Brewers finished with a 91-71 record but finished 7 games behind the Tigers in the AL east.  We'll see how the Rays do.

In other news, the Dodgers played 8 of their first 10 games against the Diamondbacks, with the snakes winning 5 of the 8.  Based on those games, I think Arizona may be the surprise team of the season.  They hit for contact and are FAST as fuck.  If their pitching staff can be average or a little above, they have a real chance to contend.

Yeah; them and the Pirates.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2023, 11:11:09 AM »
It looks like Oakland is moving to Vegas. I know it was one of those places that was considered for an expansion team. I guess that's taken care of now.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2023, 11:24:29 AM »
It looks like Oakland is moving to Vegas. I know it was one of those places that was considered for an expansion team. I guess that's taken care of now.

Interesting. I know MLB will be adding 3 more teams over time.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2023, 11:31:56 AM »

I believe Nashville was another potential location as well. Someone I work with mentioned that he heard Utah as well.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2023, 12:12:19 PM »

THREE more?  That would be an odd number (both literally and figuratively).  Honestly, MLB has no business adding teams until they fix the situation with the "small market" teams who refuse to spend money to be competitive.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2023, 12:20:24 PM »

THREE more?  That would be an odd number (both literally and figuratively).  Honestly, MLB has no business adding teams until they fix the situation with the "small market" teams who refuse to spend money to be competitive.

I don't think that would prevent them from adding teams to a potentially lucrative market. Though, whatever number of teams they add, I know they wanted to be certain that the AL and NL have the same number of teams.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2023, 12:59:42 PM »
One-third of the league is averaging less than 20,000 for their home games:

Diamondbacks:  19,817 out of 48,519 capacity = 40.84%
Tigers:  19,634 out of 41,574 capacity = 47.23%
Orioles:  17,543 out of 45,971 capacity = 38.16%
Reds:  17,447 out of 42,319 capacity = 41.23%
Guardians:  17,050 out of 35,041 capacity = 48.66%
Royals:  15,974 out of 37,903 capacity = 42.14%
Pirates:  15,524 out of 38,000 capacity = 40.85%
Tampa Bay:  13,927 out of 42,735 = 32.59%
Miami:  11,203 out of 37,000 = 30.28
A's:  9,973 out of 47,170 = 21.14%

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2022

Other than the Rays and A's, these teams play in some of the nicest stadiums in the MLB, and the Rays have been regular contenders with 2 WS appearances in the last 15 years.  When you've got 1/3 of your teams who can't even fill their stadiums to 50% capacity, you have no business expanding.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2023, 01:06:21 PM »

I believe Nashville was another potential location as well. Someone I work with mentioned that he heard Utah as well.

Nashville O's perhaps?  The Angeloses are such a dysfunctional lying sack o' shit family, that I wouldn't be surprised the team ends up there, unless the state of Maryland gives them 3x more than what they need in 'improvements' to Camden Yards.

Figured Vegas would get the A's.  Gee, it might mean more money in Oakland for the police, firemen, teachers, etc.......you know, people that are way more important.

Attendance:  it's still early in the season, and the weather is what it is.  Still, in some markets, there's nothing drawing in people.  In others.....  I'm basically done with leaving a venue in Baltimore after dark. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2023, 01:10:09 PM »
One-third of the league is averaging less than 20,000 for their home games:

Diamondbacks:  19,817 out of 48,519 capacity = 40.84%
Tigers:  19,634 out of 41,574 capacity = 47.23%
Orioles:  17,543 out of 45,971 capacity = 38.16%
Reds:  17,447 out of 42,319 capacity = 41.23%
Guardians:  17,050 out of 35,041 capacity = 48.66%
Royals:  15,974 out of 37,903 capacity = 42.14%
Pirates:  15,524 out of 38,000 capacity = 40.85%
Tampa Bay:  13,927 out of 42,735 = 32.59%
Miami:  11,203 out of 37,000 = 30.28
A's:  9,973 out of 47,170 = 21.14%

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2022

Other than the Rays and A's, these teams play in some of the nicest stadiums in the MLB, and the Rays have been regular contenders with 2 WS appearances in the last 15 years.  When you've got 1/3 of your teams who can't even fill their stadiums to 50% capacity, you have no business expanding.

I don't disagree with your perspective. I've noticed it myself. What I think is that MLB will use that rationale for adding new teams - to add a market that would do better than some the current ones. It could be that MLB pushed for Oakland to leave the state and wouldn't approve a deal for a new stadium. It's probably no coincidence that they are moving to one of the locations that MLB was hoping to expand to in the future anyway. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2023, 01:14:28 PM »
Prog Snob is on to something.

The fact is that a new team (at least in the short term) will almost always sell out even if they suck. Thus, creating revenue.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2023, 01:43:32 PM »
Crappy early season weather usually plays a significant role in low attendance in April.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2023, 01:49:36 PM »
I wonder if MLB team owners used to fight over who was able to host the Yankees the most.   ;D