Author Topic: Rolling Stone: Top 100 "Heavy Metal" Songs *rolls eyes*  (Read 4308 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Rolling Stone: Top 100 "Heavy Metal" Songs *rolls eyes*
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2023, 03:25:57 PM »
A lot of the mainstream bands of that era had annoying vocalists, but I can remember far more of their songs than most others, which to me is a component of songwriting.  Your wrath is better spent on, oh, I dunno, maybe Poison. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2023, 03:32:35 PM »
Out of the Cellar predated LWtCDI by a couple of years. Not to mention that CC Deville was no WDM. A better comparison would be post RR Ozzy. Bark came out only a couple of months before OooC, and WDM is certainly similar to Jake E. Lee, both in talent and style.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2023, 03:43:51 PM »
Yeah, but why would you compare those?  Post-RR Ozzy is good. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2023, 03:50:19 PM »
That's going to be a matter of opinion, I suppose. The songwriting with JEL wasn't particularly good, and if you hate Steven Pearcy's singing you may well hate Ozzy's, too.

Not a hill I'm willing to die on, mind you. I'm not much of a Ratt fan. I do see some similarities, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2023, 03:50:45 PM »
Out of the Cellar predated LWtCDI by a couple of years.

I had to double check this as I definitely don't remember LWTCDI as being released in the forst half od 1986, but you're right. I don't remember them being out that early. It's not on Setlist FM, but I distinctly remember them doing a club tour in the fall of 1987. I thought they played The Living Room a few weeks after GnR.

A lot of the mainstream bands of that era had annoying vocalists, but I can remember far more of their songs than most others, which to me is a component of songwriting.  Your wrath is better spent on, oh, I dunno, maybe Poison. 

I'm no Poison fan believe me, but they were a whole nuther animal. I was never disappointed with Poison because I never cared about them to begin with.

Ratt disappointed me. I bought Out Of The Cellar when it was released. It blew.
Round And Round is actually a decent tune with a great solo section. The rest of the album was such a let down.

Ratt was a flash in the pan anyway. After their arena tour for Invasion, they practically disappeared.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2023, 03:52:12 PM »
That's going to be a matter of opinion, I suppose. The songwriting with JEL wasn't particularly good, and if you hate Steven Pearcy's singing you may well hate Ozzy's, too.

Not a hill I'm willing to die on, mind you. I'm not much of a Ratt fan. I do see some similarities, though.

WDM could've just as easily been Ozzy's guitarist instead of Jake. That's not a stretch at all. Very similar.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2023, 04:04:49 PM »

Yeah, I don't really care about either in terms of vocals, but I'm accepting of them.  But "Killer of Giants", "Shot in the Dark", "Lightning Strikes", all classics, probably others if I played it again. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2023, 04:06:30 PM »

Yeah, I don't really care about either in terms of vocals, but I'm accepting of them.  But "Killer of Giants", "Shot in the Dark", "Lightning Strikes", all classics, probably others if I played it again.

I love Shot In The Dark, and Killer Of Giants is excellent, but I don't really care for The Ultimate Sin album. I'm a BATM guy all the way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2023, 04:07:10 PM »

Best Ozzy album.  Jake's finest hour.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2023, 04:07:57 PM »
I don't get it. Never have, never will.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2023, 04:14:26 PM »
I don't get it. Never have, never will.

Something about it, the vibe, atmosphere, just gets me.  Great songs, some wonderful melodies and amazing guitar work.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2023, 04:19:44 PM »
See, I think the songs are anything but great. It's just so sub par to the three albums that preceded it.

I guess that's just how I see it.  I was real disappointed with it when it came out.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2023, 04:31:44 PM »
Out of the Cellar predated LWtCDI by a couple of years.

I had to double check this as I definitely don't remember LWTCDI as being released in the forst half od 1986, but you're right. I don't remember them being out that early. It's not on Setlist FM, but I distinctly remember them doing a club tour in the fall of 1987. I thought they played The Living Room a few weeks after GnR.
Down here they opened for Cinderella and Roudness at the Arcadia. Cinderella had just begun to break, and nobody knew who Poison was.

As for Ozzy/Ratt, I was specifically comparing Bark and OotC. Ultimate Sin was a better album, I think. 
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2023, 04:40:02 PM »
See, I think the songs are anything but great. It's just so sub par to the three albums that preceded it.

I guess that's just how I see it.  I was real disappointed with it when it came out.

Hey, you know me, I'm in the minority for a lot of my fav albums.  I appreciate the WTF in relation to this one too.  I would expect next to no one to agree with me.

I could never find much to like about BATM myself.  I think it's bland with a lot of average songs.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2023, 04:48:17 PM »
One thing I will give RATT...a girl let me touch her bare breast for the first time during their set at Day on the Green in '85, so there is that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2023, 04:52:25 PM »
Well, I guess that settles it..

RATT Wins!!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2023, 04:56:35 PM »
I saw Ratt with Twisted Sister in early 84. No girls let me feel them up, and Twisted blew Ratt of the stage. No surprise there.

Funny thing about that show, one of two mythical bands were supposed to open that show. In this case Mama's Boys, who I'm convinced never actually existed. Anytime they were a scheduled opener in Dallas, two or three times in the early 80s, they canceled. Same as Waysted.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2023, 05:01:30 PM »
One thing I will give RATT...a girl let me touch her bare breast for the first time during their set at Day on the Green in '85, so there is that.

When I was 18 yrs old, I went to the Motley Crue GGG tour just to see all the girls (my age) walking around wearing next to nothing. At least that part of it wasn’t disappointing.

:rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2023, 05:02:10 PM »
Aside from Breaking the Law, which is one of the stupidest songs I have ever heard, that top 10 is actually pretty decent.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2023, 05:07:55 PM »
I saw Ratt with Twisted Sister in early 84. No girls let me feel them up, and Twisted blew Ratt of the stage. No surprise there.

Funny thing about that show, one of two mythical bands were supposed to open that show. In this case Mama's Boys, who I'm convinced never actually existed. Anytime they were a scheduled opener in Dallas, two or three times in the early 80s, they canceled. Same as Waysted.

I saw Twisted Sister open for Dio in 1984 and they were great live.

Unless they played a club, I don't really remember Ratt coming around on the OOTC tour. They must have. I know they did an arena headline tour in 1985 with Bin Jovi opening. I skipped that. I actually might've gone if it was the other way around.

Mama's Boys most definitely existed. I still have their Plug Me In album upstairs. You mentioned Waysted not playing before.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2023, 05:40:34 PM »
Unless they played a club, I don't really remember Ratt coming around on the OOTC tour. They must have. I know they did an arena headline tour in 1985 with Bin Jovi opening. I skipped that. I actually might've gone if it was the other way around.
It was actually a pretty good show. Didn't sell well. I know they did a half arena thing, which means they definitely overestimated demand.

Mama's Boys most definitely existed. I still have their Plug Me In album upstairs. You mentioned Waysted not playing before.
I'm pretty sure you're mistaken.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2023, 07:32:39 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Pi93JlMqk

Yeah, but they still blew. WDM was just fine as a guitarist. In fact, I think the band was actually a pretty good unit, but they had two major problems..
A shitty vocalist and zero songwriting skills.

I can barely listen to Steven Pearcy.  Horrible. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2023, 07:36:55 AM »

When I was 18 yrs old, I went to the Motley Crue GGG tour just to see all the girls (my age) walking around wearing next to nothing. At least that part of it wasn’t disappointing.

:rollin :rollin

I was working security for the Dr. Feelgood show at the Hartford Civic Center.  Tommy Lee signed this girl's boob and she was walking around the concourse with it fully out, holding it up to show anyone that wanted to look.  The autograph, I mean, but  she wasn't doing a great job of redacting the rest. :) :) :)

I too saw Twisted open for Dio.  There was a huge fight on the floor, but as a general comment, as much as I liked Dio I thought Twisted was way better live. They were ferocious. 

Ratt was weird in that way; they sold a ton of records - the first FOUR records are all platinum - but they didn't have the sort of "presence" that a band like Twisted Sister had (only one platinum record), or even Poison (first three records platinum), at least not on the east coast.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 07:48:23 AM by Stadler »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2023, 08:04:48 AM »
When it came to MTV, Ratt got played a ton.  Even Way Cool Jr. in the late 80s was played to death, as were the three hits from Dancing Undercover.  These all came after Round and Round, Back for More, Wanted Man, etc. 

The two Twisted Sister videos from '84 got played a ton, but outside of Leader of the Pack a few years later getting played a bit, they were barely a blip on the MTV radar for the second half of the 80s.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2023, 09:35:18 AM »
Now I have Round and Round stuck in my head. Ffs I even remember the lyrics.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2023, 10:00:09 AM »
I don't think I've ever even heard a Ratt song

Offline jammindude

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2023, 10:17:53 AM »

If you’re over 35, yes you have. I promise.

I mean some songs are just unavoidable no matter how much you hate the artist and genre. Like I Want It That Way by The Backstreet Boys. (Or is that *NSYNC…I can’t tell those two apart)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2023, 10:20:46 AM »
For the record, I consider Out of the Cellar to be one of the greatest front to back “hair metal” albums ever recorded. I think every song on that entire album took a turn as “my favorite” from the album. It’s just a really great solid record. (The other contender would be Midnight Dynamite by Kix…which destroys the more popular Blow My Fuse IMO)

Offline HOF

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2023, 10:26:52 AM »
For the record, I consider Out of the Cellar to be one of the greatest front to back “hair metal” albums ever recorded. I think every song on that entire album took a turn as “my favorite” from the album. It’s just a really great solid record. (The other contender would be Midnight Dynamite by Kix…which destroys the more popular Blow My Fuse IMO)

Both produced by Beau Hill who also produced the first two Winger albums, and Midnight Dynamite included Kip Winger’s first writing credit. Ironically, I think Beau kind of neutered the Winger material sonically (more so on the second album) and Kip has sort of expressed regret over working with him on those albums. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2023, 10:38:39 AM »

If you’re over 35, yes you have. I promise.

I mean some songs are just unavoidable no matter how much you hate the artist and genre. Like I Want It That Way by The Backstreet Boys. (Or is that *NSYNC…I can’t tell those two apart)

I'm nearly 40, and honestly I don't think I have. I'm not sure if it's a thing where they aren't as popular in the UK? What are their most popular songs? The one on the list?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2023, 10:43:55 AM »
I think Ratt is becoming underrated.  DeMartini was easily one of the best guitarists of the era. 

No they're not. Ratt always sucked.

Warren Demartini might have been good, but Ratt, despite having a couple catchy songs, absolutely sucked, which impacts Demartini's reputation.  I'm amazed that the two post-Invasion albums went platinum.

It was actually a pretty good show. Didn't sell well. I know they did a half arena thing, which means they definitely overestimated demand.

The initial part of the OOTC tour was spent opening for Ozzy (they flip flopped with Motley Crue).  They played the Orpheum in Boston on May 31, 1984 and then L'Amour and the Beacon Theatre in NY and a show at Twilight Zone in New Haven.  They were back in the northeast in September at the Nassau Coliseum, Providence Civic Center, New Haven Vets Coliseum and the Worcester Centrum.  They finished the year with a NYE show at Long Beach Arena.  They did a handful of dates in Japan in March and then recorded the next album.

I'm nearly 40, and honestly I don't think I have. I'm not sure if it's a thing where they aren't as popular in the UK? What are their most popular songs? The one on the list?

Their most well known song is Round and Round.  Next on the list would be You Think You're Tough, Wanted May, Lack of Communication, You're in Love, Lay It Down, Slip of the Lip and Way Cool Jr.  I'm guessing they were relatively unknown in the UK, though.  They only ever played one show over there (1985 Monsters of Rock).  In fact, that show and the Japan shows in March 1985 were their only non-U.S. shows ever.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2023, 10:52:08 AM »

The initial part of the OOTC tour was spent opening for Ozzy (they flip flopped with Motley Crue).  They played the Orpheum in Boston on May 31, 1984 and then L'Amour and the Beacon Theatre in NY and a show at Twilight Zone in New Haven.  They were back in the northeast in September at the Nassau Coliseum, Providence Civic Center, New Haven Vets Coliseum and the Worcester Centrum.  They finished the year with a NYE show at Long Beach Arena.  They did a handful of dates in Japan in March and then recorded the next album.
The half arena gig with Bonjovi was for Invasion.

I know they headlined smaller venues for OotC, because I saw the one here with Twisted opening. That was at the Bronco Bowl, which was a ~5500 seat theater. That would have been shortly after Ozzy's BatM tour with Crue in 84.

If the only non-US shows they ever played were the Japan shows in 85 that's honestly astonishing. It's weird to think that bands who were big here were nonexistent elsewhere. Van Halen comes to mind.
E.F. Benson

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2023, 10:53:43 AM »
I just listened to Round and Round, and something in the chorus sounded familiar, but I definitely didn't know the song. I googled it and turns out it was in an episode of Stranger Things. So although I hadn't heard the whole song before, I'd at least heard the chorus.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2023, 10:56:22 AM »
There weren't a ton of big non-U.S. hair metal bands, were there?  Def Leppard was huge, but were they "hair metal"?  Scorpions for a while, maybe.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2023, 10:59:59 AM »
There weren't a ton of big non-U.S. hair metal bands, were there?  Def Leppard was huge, but were they "hair metal"?  Scorpions for a while, maybe.
I really don't know. I've just always kind of assumed that popularity in music is at least somewhat global. I know that isn't actually the case, though. Like I said, Van Halen seemed to be largely an American thing, too. It just surprises me sometimes. That said, Ratt wasn't honestly as popular here as MTV would've had us believe. Their one attempt at playing arenas didn't go over well.
E.F. Benson