Author Topic: The Devin Townsend Discography Thread v2  (Read 27325 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: The Devin Townsend Discography Thread v2: EPICLOUD
« Reply #385 on: July 21, 2023, 01:22:20 AM »
Love Epicloud. Usually put it above Addicted.

True North's intro transitions are incredible. Save Our Now and Kingdom might be the best two-shot of his career. Grace is beautiful gospel metal with a thundering rhythm. Angel is lovely. So is Divine.

I usually never heard the bonus discs as it's too much for me to take in but will definitely look out for this one given the comments about it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #386 on: July 21, 2023, 06:30:10 AM »
Save Our Now is amazing off the strength alone of the intro. Once it kicks in and we get Anneke's wordless vocals, it feels like her voice is floating above the clouds.  Incredible. 

Although not sure what he was thinking when doing the indexing, as the opening moments of Save Our Now are still at the end of Liberation.  If you start Save Our Now on the CD, it feels like the first part of the song is missing.  I fixed it in Audacity for my mp3s in iTunes.  :tup :tup

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #387 on: July 21, 2023, 06:35:53 AM »
I think you mean Where We Belong, not Liberation ;)

Speaking of Kingdom, I wonder why he never made a music video for it. Seems like an obvious choice with it being a fan favorite.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 06:43:10 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #388 on: July 21, 2023, 07:13:55 PM »
I think you mean Where We Belong, not Liberation ;)

Oops, good catch!  :tup :tup

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: July 23, 2023, 03:29:19 PM »
Who's ready to crack open a cool one?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #390 on: July 23, 2023, 03:57:12 PM »
For the best album that Devin has made and likely will ever make? Bring it on! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Devin Townsend Discography Thread v2: Casualties of Cool
« Reply #391 on: July 23, 2023, 10:00:12 PM »
Casualties of Cool - Casualties of Cool
Released May 14, 2014

Tracklisting:

1. Daddy
2. Mountaintop
3. Flight
4. The Code
5. Moon
6. Pier
7. Ether
8. Hejda
9. Forgive Me
10. Broken
11. Bones
12. Deathscope
13. The Field
14. The Bridge
15. Pure

Personnel:

Devin Townsend - Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Keyboards
Ché Aimee Dorval - Vocals, Guitar
Morgan Ågren - Drums

Additional Personnel:
Kat Epple - Flutes, Woodwinds
Jørgen Munkeby - Saxophone
Dave Young - Keyboards
Mike St. Jean - Drums
Jeff Schmidt - Bass (Mend)
The Sångkraft Chamber Choir - Choir

Casualties of Cool began similarly to Ki. After recording Deconstruction, Dev would jam late at night with an old Telecaster and a Fender amp, and wrote a bunch of folky/country/americana influenced songs. He started to piece these songs together into an album, and contacted Ché Aimee Dorval, the female vocalist from Ki, to see if she’d be interested in collaborating. The two spent the next couple of years sending demos back and forth to each other, and basically wrote the album over email. Dev enlisted Morgan Ågren as the drummer, at the recommendation of Mathias Eklundh. The name Casualties of Cool came from an essay Dev read about people who pretend to be something they’re not for fear of being seen as peculiar, calling them “Casualties of Cool”.  Casualties was originally intended to be the 6th and final DTP album, but became it’s own separate thing.

Casualties was recorded at the individual musician’s home studios. Kat Epple, the flautist from Ghost, plays on a few songs. Jørgen Munkeby, from the band Shining, plays a sax solo on Moon. The album also features the Sångkraft Chamber Choir, most notably on the album’s climax, The Bridge. Dev mixed the album with Mattias Eklundh at ToonTrack studios in Umeå, Sweden.

Casualties is a concept album. It’s about a space traveler who is lured to a moon. There, he finds a radio which plays a woman’s voice. The voice guides him on a journey across the moon. Eventually the radio dies. The traveler finds a phonograph which plays one last message from the woman, revealing that the moon is a living thing that lures in travelers and eats them. The dusty surface of the moon is the bones of past victims. The traveler builds a bridge from the bones and escapes the moon.

Dev describes the sound of Casualties as “Haunted Johnny Cash songs”, but that really only applies to a handful of songs. There’s a backbone of americana/folk/country to it (classic country, not the hick-hop BS of modern country), but the album is soaked in reverb and has Dev’s typical layered production style that separates it from other music in that vein.

Music videos were made for Mountaintop and Flight
Mountaintop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5b7oMdmZm4
Flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muNLqPPTuDQ
The Sångkraft Chamber Choir recording The Bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umAwTXIC3g8

Casualties of Cool was released May 14, 2014. It was originally released independently through HevyDevy Records, and crowdfunded using the website Pledgemusic. Their goal was reached in just five hours, and by the end of the fundraiser they had earned 544% of their original goal. All the extra funds went towards future Dev projects. The album was released as a CD, a download, and a deluxe edition box set. The box set was limited to 350 copies, and came with the 2 disc version of the album, a bone-shaped USB stick containing more bonus content, a pair of sunglasses, a wooden comb, a lyric book, and a certificate of authenticity, all housed in a wooden box. The album was re-released in 2016 by InsideOut as a 3-disc version, including a live DVD of the band.

Casualties is perhaps the most unique sounding album in Dev’s catalog. I can’t think of another album by him or anyone else that sounds like this. It’s a very gray sounding album and I have to be in the right mood to listen to it. At times, it's been one of my favorites. Top 5. But in revisiting it for this writeup, I didn't enjoy it as much as I have in the past.

Both Ché and Morgan were part of Dev’s band during the Empath tour, and Forgive Me was played on the American leg of that tour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98e4WQOi-vo

Dev and Ché have been working on a second album on and off for years now, possibly titled “Whiskey Peach”. Dev shared some demos on a Twitch stream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2GF-k-V_yU

——————————————————————————————————————————————

Casualties of Cooler
(aka Pretty Much Ghost 2)

Tracklisting:

1. Ghost Wives
2. Drained
3. Dig for Gold
4. Dead Eyes
5. Drench
6. Mend
7. Where You’ve Been
8. Gone is Gone
9. Fight
10. Glass World
11. Aquarius
12. Perspective
13. Moonshine

Disc 2 is comprised of songs written for the project but didn’t fit the vibe or story of the main album, as well as some songs intended for Ghost 2. Like most of Dev’s bonus discs, these songs are well produced, and I think of this as the second half of the album rather than a collection of demos.

Drench, Mend, Perspective, and Moonshine were all meant for Ghost 2. Another Ghost 2 song, Radial Highway, was redone with Ché on vocals but it was left off the album. Dev says in the commentary for this disc that Ghost 2 will be released eventually, but I doubt it.

Gone is Gone was meant to be on the main album, after Forgive Me, but was left off due to manufacturing concerns of putting too much music on the disc.

Fight is a demo version of Flight with Dev on lead vocals instead of Ché and an alternate ending.

Dev also redid Traveling Salesman, a bonus track from the Ziltoid album, but left it out.

The box set came with a bone-shaped USB drive containing more bonus content…

Bone USB

1. Cold Feet
2. Thing
3. Forgive Me (Alternate Sequence)
4. Gone is Gone (Alternate Sequence)
5. Broken (Alternate Sequence)
6. Bones (Alternate Sequence)
7. Disc 1 Commentary
8. Disc 2 Commentary

Cold Feet and Thing are two additional leftover songs. Neither song is available on streaming.

Cold Feet: https://youtu.be/fM055NmfDoU
Nice song, probably left off because there’s already a lot of songs in this vein between both discs.

Thing: https://youtu.be/LUI-knNUgrk
As the kids say, this song goes hard. No surprise why it was left off though.

As previously stated, Gone Is Gone was originally meant for the main tracklisting, but was left out. The Bone USB came with alternate mixes of 4 songs so that you could place Gone Is Gone into the tracklisting in your digital library if you want to.

Both commentaries used to be available on YouTube, now only the one for Disc 2 is available. As usual, if you want to hear these commentaries, shoot me a DM.
Disc 2 Commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycdb_PzIgHk&t=1s

The Bone USB was available on its own from Dev’s Omerch store, but not anymore.

Live at Union Chapel
Recorded September 4, 2014

(my own poorly made artwork)

Tracklisting:

1. Daddy (Live)
2. The Code (Live)
3. Mountaintop (Live)
4. Flight (Live)
5. Ether (Live)
6. Moon / Pier (Live)
7. Bones (Live)
8. Forgive Me (Live)
9. Jam (Live)
10. The Field (Live)
11. Deathscope (Live)
12. Gone is Gone (Live)
13. The Bridge (Live)

Personnel:
Devin Townsend - Guitar, Vocals
Ché Aimee Dorval - Vocals, Guitar
Morgan Ågren - Drums
Jean Savoie - Bass
Dave Young - Keyboards
Mike St. Jean - Keyboards
Mike Carrigan - Guitar

Casualties has only played live (publicly) 4 times; 3 times in 2014 and once in 2016. The 2016 re-release of the album came with a live DVD of the band’s performance at Union Chapel in London. Solid performance, especially considering this was only the second time the band had played live. They play most of the Casualties album, with some extended jamming here and there. Dev quotes the solo from Johnny Cash’s Folsom Prison Blues in the song Daddy. The bassline on the song “Jam” is from Inner City Blues by Marvin Gaye.

The DVD also has an interview with Dev and Ché.

Full concert: https://youtu.be/GxuwGr6Iz0Q
Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ISV_ebexrk

Some other live stuff from the band…

Dunlop Sessions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTW0Uf-34BA
Live at Warwick/Framus (Audio Only): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agSFajjkLPw

And a little bonus: Ché's cover of SYL's Almost Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTsSg95mFCU
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 07:44:59 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #392 on: July 24, 2023, 06:14:32 AM »
It's hard for me to think of revisiting this now as I don't really think of this as a summer album, but it's definitely one of my favorite Devin albums.  I just love the vibe, the flow and running order is flawless, and both Devin and Che sound wonderful.

Not like this is a surprise, but the bonus disc is almost as good as the proper album!  Perspective alone is a monumental achievement within the scope of Devin's discography.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #393 on: July 24, 2023, 07:54:54 AM »
Casualties Of Cool is really good, and definitely the best of the three albums (counting Z2 as two different ones) he put out in 2014. I don't listen to alt-country so I don't really know how unique it is within the genre, but there aren't any other albums in my library that sound quite like it. The closest would probably be Ki - while this doesn't have any of the heavy elements that album has, they both capture that nocturnal, stripped-back atmosphere incredibly well.

Ché is the best vocalist Devin has worked with (extensively) in my opinion, and this album shows why. Her delivery is just packed with so much emotion and personality, especially on songs like Fly, Bones, and The Field. Those are songs that I couldn't imagine Devin singing on and them being anywhere near as good.

The one sour spot on this album for me is The Bridge. I get the intention behind it, but it just does not fit the sound of the other songs and kills the album's vibe at the very end. And the YOLO chants... why. :lol The weak ending and a bit of a bloated runtime prevent this album from reaching the top tiers of Devin's discography for me, but it's close, and I'm really hoping we see the next Casualties Of Cool album sooner rather than later.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: July 24, 2023, 08:50:53 AM »
It's just not a style of music I enjoy, but I didn't know they did that concert.  Just put it on.  :yarr

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #395 on: July 24, 2023, 01:31:43 PM »
Big fan of Casualties of Cool. Like with Epicloud, it really felt like Devin was at a creative peak during this time. Between the 4 DTP albums, Casualties, and Epicloud, it felt like he could do no wrong. Unfortunately, in retrospect, I feel like this is the last great album he's made. I didn't realize that he was actually working on a sequel until watching that twitch stream clip. The material sounds great and I hope something comes out of it. I would probably be more interested in that than anything else he could potentially put together at this stage.

Disc two of Casualties definitely flows well and feels cohesive like an album, it feels more Ghost than Casualties which makes sense since a lot of it is Ghost 2. There is definitely a feeling of leftover material and it meanders a bit more than the main disc. Still cool to have and I love Devin's bonus discs in general. I still think it would be neat to hear a proper Ghost 2 some day though, just another album in that style would be awesome.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Shredzorz

« Reply #396 on: July 25, 2023, 05:16:24 AM »
Casualties of Cool is one of my absolute favorite Devin albums. It's one of those rare albums I can put on for anyone and they'll immediately like it, no matter who they are. Che's work on this is incredible. Can't wait for Casualties 2.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #397 on: July 25, 2023, 05:39:39 AM »
Listened to Casualties of Cool last night whilst doing yoga. Safe to say, it was great music for such an activity.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: July 25, 2023, 11:50:45 AM »
On the next episode of the The DTDT, we learn that sequels are often disappointing. Tune in next Monday.

In other news, I finally got my hands on a copy of By a Thread  :metal
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 12:02:14 PM by Metropolaris »

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #399 on: July 25, 2023, 12:00:43 PM »
I wish I could hear what you guys hear. All I hear is a relaxed country record that surely is unique in style for Devin but I think there‘s lot of music out there that sounds similar.

But anyway, it‘s not bad but I don‘t find it exciting either. Whenever I listen to it I tend to zone out after a couple of songs. Nothing really grabs me and it works better as background music during other activities.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #400 on: July 25, 2023, 12:55:32 PM »
Here are my pictures of the Casualties of Cool boxset that I waited a long time for, and it was definitely worth the wait and amount I pledged.

The hilarious part is that he forgot to number my certificate, so I don't know what number mine is out of the 350. If I could meet Devin at DreamSonic, and If I had access to my boxset, I would definitely have taken it to have him number it.  :lol

I really love this album. It's name fits the style a lot. I don't mind listening to any genre, and I enjoy how this has a laid back country style vibe going on.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: July 27, 2023, 07:23:22 AM »
That’s one cool box  :tup

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #402 on: July 27, 2023, 07:32:28 AM »
That’s one cool box  :tup

Yea dude, I really want that comb/sunglasses combo.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #403 on: July 27, 2023, 09:00:59 AM »
Lemme catch up on this:

Epicloud - I think this is a well-written, catchy album that worked really well as the follow-up to the 4 DTP albums.  I agree that it is a good album for a Devy newb to start with.  Nothing super-crazy out there or really drawn out, just an album that flows nicely with good hooks.  I think Lucky Animals is solid, don't get the hate for that one.  Everything is solid, but a few standouts would have to be Save Our Now, Grace, Divine, the re-recorded version of Kingdom, and the beautiful closer, Angel.  Epiclouder has some great stuff on it too, but I agree that I am not sure I would switch anything off the main album to fit something from Epiclouder in.

Casualties of Cool - I was definitely interested when I heard about this project, as I happen to also enjoy alt-country/Americana stuff.  It doesn't disappoint, and has quite a unique vibe.  It's one of those records that I have to be in a certain mood to listen to, it has a winter, outdoor around a fire feel for me.  It is definitely interesting to hear Devin's take on the genre, and hearing elements of his usual production style seep into this record as well.  I love the Ghost 2 stuff on disc 2 as well.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: July 28, 2023, 08:59:53 PM »
real talk

is “Spectacular” Captain Spectacular’s last name, or is it just a title

is his real name something like Greg Spectacular
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 09:38:15 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #405 on: July 28, 2023, 09:34:33 PM »
real talk

is “Spectacular” Captain Spectacular’s last name, or is just a title

is his real name something like Greg Spectacular
I'm pretty sure his name is actually Greg  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: July 29, 2023, 08:12:15 PM »
Anybody want some coffee?2

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #407 on: July 29, 2023, 09:07:58 PM »
Coffee squared? Sounds dangerous.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #408 on: July 30, 2023, 01:44:50 AM »
Epiclouder is out on streaming platforms now. Will give it a blast this week.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Devin Townsend Discography Thread v2: Z²
« Reply #409 on: July 30, 2023, 10:00:01 AM »
The Devin Townsend Project - Z²
Released October 27, 2014

Dev first talked about doing a sequel to Ziltoid the Omniscient in 2009. This album, titled Z², was meant to be his next album after the conclusion of the first 4 DTP albums. Other projects like Epicloud and Casualties of Cool got in the way, and he wanted to get those albums out of his system first. Over time his interest in Z² started to wane, and at one point it seemed like the sequel was abandoned, with him saying that “humor and metal doesn’t really work”. At some point he came around to the idea and put together an album.
A DOUBLE album.

Disc 1: Sky Blue
Disc 2: Dark Matters

Despite it being a double album and collectively called Z², Dark Matters is the only disc that has anything to do with Ziltoid. Sky Blue is not a concept album and is not connected to the story in any way.

Both discs were recorded in LA and at Dev’s home studio, and they both have the same main lineup of the DTP plus Anneke, as well as the new addition of Mike St. Jean as the keyboardist for the band.

Dev invited fans to sing on the album as the “Universal Choir”. He sent out snippets of sections of 3 songs from the album (Z², Dimension Z, and Before We Die) and asked fans to submit recordings of themselves singing, and all the submissions were combined into one giant choir.

Original Snippets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfoBg_YyhfE
Universal Choir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk-tMqV_0X0
Complete list of everyone who contributed: https://web.archive.org/web/20220118011602/http://universalchoir.insideoutmusic.com/

Some videos of the making of Z²
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_AGVF5YuSPK9V1patknhRlAC6_TV_QoR

Z² was released on October 27th, 2014. Shortly before it's release, Dev chose to remix and alter some songs on both discs. But by that point, the original mix had already gone out to reviewers. The new mix is what you'll hear on the CD, streaming, and iTunes, but the original mix leaked a couple of weeks before the official release. There's several differences between the official and leaked versions that I'll go over.

Sky Blue

Tracklisting:

1. Rejoice
2. Fallout
3. Midnight Sun
4. A New Reign
5. Universal Flame
6. Warrior
7. Sky Blue
8. Silent Militia
9. Rain City
10. Forever
11. Before We Die
12. The Ones Who Love

Personnel:
Devin Townsend - Guitar, Vocals, Keyboards
Dave Young - Guitars, Keyboards
Brian “Beav” Waddell - Bass
Ryan Van Poederooyen - Drums
Anneke Van Giersbergen - Vocals

Additional Personnel:
Universal Choir

When Dev showed Z² to the record label, they weren’t sure what to make of it. After the success of Epicloud, they wanted another album in that vein. Dev and the label reached a compromise, and Z² would be a double album, with the first disc being another Epicloud-style album, and the second disc being the Ziltoid sequel.

There’s not a whole lot to say about Sky Blue. It’s yet another album of accessible Dev material, just like Epicloud and Addicted before it. When Z² came out, I spent much more time with Dark Matters than Sky Blue. I initially wrote Sky Blue off as just an inferior attempt to redo Epicloud. But as my opinion of Dark Matters has worsened over time, my opinion on Sky Blue has only gone up. I think this is by far the better disc on this album, and a really underrated album overall. Not Dev’s best, and certainly not his best in this style, but still solid.

Some highlights for me are Fallout, Universal Flame, Rain City, and Forever.

A New Reign was remixed by Dev for his Quarantine Project in 2020.
The title track is inspired by “DJ Got Us Fallin’ in Love” by Usher
Silent Militia is inspired by “You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)” by Dead or Alive.
Rain City has a callback to Bastard, from Ocean Machine.

The leaked version of Sky Blue has a few differences from the official version. Some big, some little.
The biggest difference is on Fallout. Anneke sings the lead vocals on the official version, but Dev sings on the leaked version.
Look, Anneke is great. But I prefer Dev’s version by a lot. The DTP played it live a few times with Dev on vocals, and he clearly struggled with it.
Leaked version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBFhgNa9NoY
Live with Dev on Vocals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVICIEPJzoM
The official version of Warrior starts with a child saying “I’m a warrior!”. This is absent on the leaked version.
The leaked version of Silent Militia has an instrumental intro, but the official version begins with a version the chorus.
There’s some other slight differences here and there, like slightly longer or totally different transitions between songs, but the ones listed are the major ones. My personal version of Sky Blue in my digital library is a combination of my preferred versions from the leak and official release.

Dark Matters

Tracklisting:

1. Z²
2. From Sleep Awake
3. Ziltoidian Empire
4. War Princess
5. Deathray
6. March of the Poozers
7. Wandering Eye
8. Earth
9. Ziltoid Goes Home
10. Through the Wormhole*
11. Dimension Z

* - Omitted from the “Raw” Version of the album

Personnel:
Devin Townsend - Guitar, Vocals, Keyboards
Dave Young - Guitars, Keyboards
Anneke Van Giersbergen - Vocals

Additional Personnel:
Bill Courage - Narrator
Universal Choir
Dominique Lenore Persi - Vocals (“Blattaria, the War Princess”)
Chris Jericho - Vocals (“Captain Spectacular”)
Mark Cimino - Vocals (“Poozer”)
Chris Levitt - Vocals (“Planet Smasher”)

Dark Matters is a “sequel” to the first Ziltoid album. I say “sequel” because it’s not really a direct continuation of Z1. You can understand the story of DM without having heard Z1. Musically, DM is similar to Z1. The significant difference being that there’s a full band and a real drummer this time around. Despite it being a sequel, there’s no reprises of any musical themes or lyrics from Z1.

DM is much more dialogue-focused than Z1. The story is narrated by voice actor Bill Courage, and features characters played by Chris Jericho (Yes, THAT Chris Jericho),  Dominique Lenore Persi (Vocalist of Stolen Babies), and Mark Cimino (Guitarist from Addicted).

Dev uploaded 3 episodes of “ZTV” to YouTube. These videos act as a prelude to Dark Matters.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_AGVF5YuSPJW__e7WCncTkctFsF8pDxf

Dev also did a series of radio shows as Ziltoid for Team Rock Radio playing a variety of music, from Katy Perry to Gorguts. I have all of these shows saved if anybody wants to hear them.

Let’s get into the story of Dark Matters…

The end of Z1 revealed that the events of the album were nothing more than the daydream of a barista. Dark Matters reveals that Ziltoid is in fact real, and has become a celebrity on Earth. Ziltoid has stolen a Poozer: A creature from the planet Titan and child of Blattaria, the War Princess. The Poozer escapes Ziltoid and returns to Blattaria and informs her about Ziltoid and his obsession with coffee. She gathers an army of Poozers and launches an invasion of Earth to convert the humans into Poozers and steal all of their coffee. Ziltoid is blamed for the attack, but Captain Spectacular strikes a deal with him. In exchange for his freedom, Ziltoid summons the Planet Smasher to fight back against Blattaria. The counterattack doesn’t go as planned. Captain Spectacular is killed, but not before revealing that he and Ziltoid are half-brothers. Ziltoid begins to sing, enraging the Planet Smasher, who opens up a wormhole which sucks in Blattaria and Ziltioid. The war is over, the humans are free, and all of mankind sings a song to celebrate their victory. Meanwhile, far away from Earth, Ziltoid and Blattaria have been transported to a moon made of bones and dust (sound familiar?).

Did you get all of that? Now that that’s out of the way, let’s get real…

To quote Ultimetalhead in his writeup of this album in the original thread:

Man, what happened here?

Sequels are often disappointing, and Dark Matters is no exception. For as long as Dev had been talking about this album, I think we all expected something…better? I mean, what is this even about? Z1 was about Dev reckoning with his past and personifying a side of his personality he couldn’t ignore. DM is just a cheesy sci-fi story. That’s all well and good, but if there’s some deeper meaning, it’s lost on me. You can tell that Dev’s heart wasn’t in this album, and it only serves to fulfill an arbitrary obligation. But an obligation to whom? Z1 didn’t need a sequel, the label wasn’t asking for one, and I don’t think fans were clamoring for one were either. So what was the purpose of this album? You could ask that same question about Z1, but at least there’s an answer to that question. Dark Matters just exists…because.

I remember enjoying DM a lot when it first came out, but my opinion on it has gone down significantly over time. It came out in October of 2014, right after I moved out and started college. Z² dominated my car’s CD player for the next 2 months. As much as I don’t care for Dark Matters, it’s undoubtedly part of the soundtrack to that period of my life. Revisiting the album for this writeup, it’s undeniable how much weaker this is compared to the rest of his catalog. 

Dark Matters isn’t 100% bad. The production and performances are all great,
There’s some highlights here, like Ziltoidian Empire, Earth, and Ziltoid Goes Home.

But there’s plenty of clunkers, too.
War Princess is too repetitive.
Deathray might be the most throwaway song Dev has ever written.
March of the Poozers is ok, and it was a live staple for a long time, but I don’t ever need to hear it again.
Wandering Eye seems out of place.
Dimension Z wants to be a triumphant ending, but it feels unearned.

Dev considered redoing the songs Death (from Physicist) and Dinosaurs (from Contain Us) for Dark Matters, but decided not to.
War Princess is the first time (and only time to my knowledge) that Dev has used an 8 string guitar, tuned CGCGCGCE. That’s low.
Dev said he wrote the “heaviest thing he’s ever written” for Dark Matters, but it didn’t make it onto the album. It’s unknown what that song is or if it ended up on a future album.
The clocks in the beginning of the title track are taken from Pier, from Casualties of Cool.

The 3-disc version of Z² came with a “Raw” version of Dark Matters with all dialogue and narration removed. Through the Wormhole was left off of this version as it consists entirely of dialogue and narration.

As for the leaked vs official versions of Dark Matters, I’ve only ever noticed one difference.
There’s a line of narration in the title track at 2:52 that was removed from the official version.

“Z². Zed Squared. Episode 2. When we last met Ziltoid, it was thought he was merely a figment of our fertile imaginations. As it turns out, he is VERY real. Welcome.”

The Devin Townsend Project - Live at Loud Park 2013
Recorded October 19, 2013

Tracklisting:

1. Truth
2. Regulator
3. Christeen
4. Kingdom
5. Liberation
6. War
7. Juular
8. Grace

Personnel:
Dave Young - Guitars

The Japanese version of Z² came with a DVD of the DTP’s performance at Loud Park in Japan in 2013. Not much to say about this. The only reason I’m mentioning it is because I said I was covering EVERYTHING.

Dev says in his biography that his popularity in Japan has declined significantly over the years, and he hasn’t played in the country since 2017.

Full show: https://youtu.be/xVX5TbQNtDw

The Devin Townsend Project - Ziltoid: Live at the Royal Albert Hall
Recorded April 13, 2015 at the Royal Albert Hall, London
Released November 13, 2015

Tracklisting:

Set 1 - Dark Matters:

1. Z² (Live)
2. From Sleep Awake (Live)
3. Ziltoidian Empire (Live)
4. War Princess (Live)
5. Deathray (Live)
6. March of the Poozers (Live)
7. Wandering Eye (Live)
8. Earth (Live)
9. Ziltoid Goes Home (Live)
10. Through the Wormhole (Live)
11. Dimension Z (Live)

Set 2 - By Request:

12. Namaste (Live)
13. Night (Live)
14. Deadhead (Live)
15. Earth Day (Live)
16. Christeen (Live)
17. Supercrush! (Live)
18. Kingdom (Live)
19. Lucky Animals (Live)
20. Heatwave (Live)
21. Funeral (Live)
22. Bastard (Live)
23. The Death of Music (Live)
24. Universal Flame (Live)

Personnel:
Dave Young - Guitars
Brian “Beav” Waddell - Bass, Banjo
Dominique Lenore Persi - Vocals (“War Princess”)
Jean Savoie - Bass (Heatwave)

The DTP played a special show at the Royal Albert Hall in April of 2015. The first set was a performance of Dark Matters in it’s entirety, followed by a By Request set. Fans voted for the songs they wanted played via a Facebook poll. This show was preceded by a warmup show with the same setlist at the O2 Academy in Bournemouth 2 days prior.

The band was joined by Dominique Lenore Persi, who plays the War Princess, as well as an 8-piece choir and many costumed performers. Jean Savoie (bassist from Ki and the live Casualties of Cool band) plays bass on Heatwave while Beav plays banjo.

Dark Matters is much better in a live setting, but I still find the album underwhelming. It’s a fun watch regardless, and one of the highlights for me is the song Earth. Just watch Ryan during that song. Dude is a criminally underrated drummer.

The real standout here is the By Request set. You’ve got your mainstays like Deadhead, Supercrush, and Kingdom. As well as some great rarities like Namaste and Earth Day. But the highlight of this set is the Ocean Machine trilogy of Funeral, Bastard, and The Death Music. Incredible set.

The show ended with Universal Flame, a Sky Blue song requested by Dev’s son, who also joined him onstage.

Full Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbFvDfoSFdc&t=1395s

The Future of Ziltoid

The end of Dark Matters certainly sets up a potential Z3, but I wouldn’t expect it any time soon. In one of his Twitch streams Dev showed a folder of demos labeled “Z3”, and he says he would like Samus Paulichelli (one of the drummers on Empath) to play on the album if it ever does happen.

At one point there was a Ziltoid video game in development, along with an EP of the soundtrack for the game, but that was shelved because Dev lost interest.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 11:08:46 AM by Metro »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #410 on: July 30, 2023, 11:01:28 AM »
Z2 is the only album of his that I haven't listened to yet. Been meaning to get around to it but the friends I know who are huge fans say it's really bad and I think that has put me off.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #411 on: July 30, 2023, 11:31:31 AM »
The leaked version of Warrior starts with a child saying “I’m a warrior!”. This is absent on the official version.

Pretty sure this is backwards, the CD definitely has that clip at the beginning. At least mine does. :P

Also, War Princess is a clunker? No fuckin' way. I'm not super into Dark Matters either but that's a clear highlight, along with Poozers and Ziltoidian Empire.

Z2 is the only album of his that I haven't listened to yet. Been meaning to get around to it but the friends I know who are huge fans say it's really bad and I think that has put me off.

It's really not. It's in the weaker half of his discography for sure, but there's quite a few albums I'd rank underneath it. The biggest problem with it is that it just feels kinda uninspired and redundant. You're also getting what is effectively two entirely different albums in one, so even if you dislike Dark Matters you might appreciate Sky Blue, or vice versa.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: July 30, 2023, 11:41:05 AM »
The leaked version of Warrior starts with a child saying “I’m a warrior!”. This is absent on the official version.

Pretty sure this is backwards, the CD definitely has that clip at the beginning. At least mine does. :P

You are correct! Fixed.

Also, War Princess is a clunker? No fuckin' way. I'm not super into Dark Matters either but that's a clear highlight

You are incorrect  :P

I kid, to each their own. I lose interest after like the 5th "Part of me". Cool riff, and Dominique has a great voice, but that song is just waaaaaay too repetitive.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #413 on: July 30, 2023, 02:48:53 PM »
It's really not. It's in the weaker half of his discography for sure, but there's quite a few albums I'd rank underneath it. The biggest problem with it is that it just feels kinda uninspired and redundant. You're also getting what is effectively two entirely different albums in one, so even if you dislike Dark Matters you might appreciate Sky Blue, or vice versa.

I will still check it out at some point because if nothing else, finishing off the discography and it's bothering me having 1 studio album i haven't heard.  :lol But yeah I think my main concerns with it were:

1. not a huge fan of Ziltoid (the original album) - it's decent but not in the top half of Devy albums for me.
2. so a sequel to that album is not very exciting off the bat and you combine that with;
3. friends who might be bigger Devy fans and bigger fans of Ziltoid saying it's his worst album and pretty rough,
4. Devy himself apparently shitting on it a bit
5. and the length of it

But yeah i will give it a shot but when people with opinions you trust tell you one of the discs is terrible and the other is mediocre at best, that doesn't get the hype flowing. I think also just from my perspective, I really like Transcendence a lot and Empath is one of his best albums IMO. Lightwork was also great. I guess I'm just not hyped going into this but it's like a band aid i have to rip off.  :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #414 on: July 30, 2023, 10:58:49 PM »
Z2 - Dark Matters I pretty much loved this on release but it hasn't aged well at all and now I'm not sure I could get through the whole thing.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #415 on: July 30, 2023, 11:49:35 PM »
IDK what people were expecting with Z2. Even before it came out it seemed kinda obvious that he was procrastinating on it and was only really keeping the door open to it because he knew the fans wanted it. Dark Matters is probably his weakest album and the only one that to me sounds like he's really phoning it in. The story borders on nonsensical and yet it drives the album even more than the original Ziltoid did. ZTO at least had songs like Hyperdrive, Solar Winds, or The Greys which diverged from the plot for some really cool songs. With Dark Matters it feels like interesting music isn't a focus at all.

The ironic thing is that the album that was born out of record label pressure ended up being the more interesting and inspired album, and based on what proceeded and followed it probably closer to the album Devin actually wanted to make. There are things about Sky Blue that I don't like. It does feel like a more mild version of Epicloud (an already pretty mild album) and there are a couple songs where it feels like he's repeating himself (Midnight Sun, Warrior, Silent Militia jump to mind). But on the other hand, some songs like the title track, Rain City, and Fallout are up there with the best material from the DTP era. My biggest issue with the album is that it can be tonally pretty bland. The guitars are kinda low in the mix and the drums are pushed to the background a bit in terms of the parts being played. It loses the playfulness of an Addicted or an Epicloud. At a certain point though I'm being nitpicky as I actually do really enjoy the album for the most part.

At this point it is definitely starting to feel like Devin is spinning his wheels a bit. Dark Matters was a big letdown and while Sky Blue had a lot of good qualities it was the first time in awhile that a new Devin album felt like "just another Devin album." Epicloud really punctuated the DTP thing, but now it was starting to feel like he was continuing a particular sound/style more because it was working for him commercially (I use that term VERY loosely). The fact that the record label essentially asked for Sky Blue kinda proves that, and then later on when he dissolved DTP there was an impression that he was only keeping it together because it was a source of income for members of the band/crew. I'm glad he's moved on to other things now, although it doesn't really feel like he's totally found his footing post DTP yet. I'm hoping that the anticipated break from touring is going to lead us to another DTP style creative renaissance.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #416 on: July 31, 2023, 12:12:48 AM »
Casualties of Cool is very cool - but a long record that I absolutely have to be in the mood for. When I am, I'm very very impressed with it. For me, it takes a back seat on the discog, tho, purely because it's a pretty quiet record, and I generally want my Dev bigger than that.

Never heard much of Z2. Neither albums grabbed me when they came out and I've never been interested in going back.

Epicloud was the real diamond in the meh for me around these years. After the initial gold of Ki and Addicted. Dev put out a lot of material and little of it was hitting my marks. I'm still really in that place.

Empath is another island of greatness but that's for later, obvs. With Dev it's just a case of when he creates another wonderful thing of course, not if...

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #417 on: July 31, 2023, 09:31:56 AM »

Just to correct a minor error. The OM trilogy were first performed live a couple of days prior to the RAH show at a warmup gig in Boscombe.
It was great.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: July 31, 2023, 10:12:28 AM »
Did not know that! I’ll fix that, thanks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #419 on: July 31, 2023, 02:32:18 PM »
Never really connected with the Ziltoid thing, frankly.   Seemed dumb when I got exposed to it.  I don't know if there's a larger point to it or not, but it just seems silly to me.  Some good music in there, but it's obscured by, well, the silliness.