Author Topic: The Devin Townsend Discography Thread v2  (Read 27157 times)

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: The Devin Townsend Discography Thread v2: Addicted
« Reply #280 on: June 03, 2023, 01:28:14 AM »
Quote from: Metropolaris
Resolve is an admitted ripoff of the Wildheart’s song Vanilla Radio.

Haha. As a massive Wildhearts fan, I can't believe that's never occurred to me!  :lol (The original single recording of Vanilla Radio is much better than the album version.)

I need to re play Addicted today. Listened to it lots when it came out but it fell off my radar. Anneke and Dev together is a match made in heaven. Her voice and presence are beautiful. Saw the man with her live on the Epicloud tour and it was ace.  :heart
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #281 on: June 03, 2023, 05:11:37 AM »
Addicted never really clicked for me but I suppose it's time soon for another revisit to see if time has changed anything there. Just not a huge fan of that poppy metal vibe of the album with 3-4 minute songs.

For me it's the weakest out of the first 4 DTP albums.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #282 on: June 03, 2023, 11:42:37 AM »
Listened today on a car journey. Great stuff.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #283 on: June 05, 2023, 05:35:20 PM »
Cheeseburger Thursday?

Cheeseburger Thursday.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2023, 05:34:45 AM »
I like Addicted but don't love it. When it came out I listened to it a lot but it didn't have staying power, now I rarely have the urge to reach for that record. And I'm not really a fan of Anneke and the version of Hyperdrive from Ziltoid is far superior, although I know I'm probalby the only one that feels that way.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2023, 09:04:22 AM »
I didn't really care for Ziltoid or Ki any more this time than the last time I listened to them years ago, but Addicted was pretty good stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #286 on: June 07, 2023, 08:02:00 AM »
I first saw Dev back in ‘93 with Vai.

I only kept a peripheral interest until Ziltoid came along, which I loved.
I started buying everything, with Ki, then Addicted being the next albums released contemporaneously.

Saw DTP at The Cube in Southampton on the Addicted tour. Gig started with ‘Addicted’. It was great. A really good concert. Some tapes AFAICR.

Since then seen him maybe a dozen times, sometimes at little acoustic gigs, sometimes at the extravaganzas (Retinal, RAH).
Always great stuff. He gives so much of himself.

The DTP stuff is a definite peak, with Epicloud in my top 10 albums.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Devin Townsend Discography Thread v2: Deconstruction
« Reply #288 on: June 07, 2023, 10:00:04 PM »
The Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction
Released June 20, 2011

Tracklisting:

1. Praise the Lowered
2. Stand
3. Juular
4. Planet of the Apes
5. Sumeria
6. The Mighty Masturbator
7. Pandemic
8. Deconstruction
9. Poltergeist

Other Songs:
1. Ho Krll (iTunes Bonus Track)
2. Terrorizer
3. Deconstructing Badgers

Personnel:
Devin Townsend - Guitar, Vocals, Bass, Keyboards
Ryan Van Poederooyen - Drums (Praise the Lowered, Stand, Planet of the Apes, The Mighty Masturbator, Ho Krll)
Dirk Verbeuren - Drums (Juular, Sumeria, The Mighty Masturbator, Pandemic, Deconstruction, Poltergeist, Terrorizer, Deconstructing Badgers)

Additional Personnel:
Prague Philharmonic Orchestra - Orchestra
Amsterdam PA’dam Chamber Choir - Choir
Fredrik Thordendal - Guitar Solo (Deconstruction)

Guest Vocalists:
Paul Kuhr (Novembers Doom) - Praise the Lowered
Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth) - Stand
Ihsahn (Emperor) - Juular
Tommy Giles Rogers (Between the Buried and Me) - Planet of the Apes
Joe Duplantier (Gojira) - Sumeria
Paul Masvidal (Cynic) - Sumeria
Greg Puciato (The Dillinger Escape Plan) - The Mighty Masturbator
Floor Jansen (After Forever, Nightwish) - Pandemic
Oderus Urungus (GWAR) - Deconstruction
Florian Magnus Maier (Dark Fortress) - Stand, The Mighty Masturbator

The third album from the DTP is Deconstruction. Deconstruction represents the chaotic, aggressive, and progressive metal sides of Dev’s music. It was originally conceived as an orchestral EP, entitled “Deconstruction of a Cheeseburger”, to be released after the original version of Ki.The next DTP album, Ghost, was actually recorded before Deconstruction, but Deconstruction is still the third album in the series. It was recorded after Ghost because Dev wanted to record something more mellow first, and didn’t think he’d be able to get into that headspace if he did Deconstruction first.

Deconstruction is a concept album, partially inspired by The Divine Comedy. Dev touches on the story in his podcast, but he gets way more in depth about it in the album commentary, which I definitely recommend listening to. As previously stated in the Ki writeup, you can’t find these commentaries on Youtube, but I have them and am happy to share them. The story is about a man who is obsessed with learning the secrets of the universe, and decides to go to Hell. There, he sees a bunch of weird shit and eventually meets Satan himself. Satan presents him with a cheeseburger and tells him that to understand the secrets of the universe, he must eat the cheeseburger. However, our main character is a vegetarian and can’t eat the cheeseburger.

Like Addicted, Deconstruction was recorded at The Factory and Dev’s home studio. Unlike the other DTP albums, Dev didn’t put together a new band for Deconstruction. Most of the record is just Dev, who plays guitar, bass, and keyboards in addition to singing lead vocals. He originally wanted to have 4 different drummers:
- Ryan Van Poederooyen
- Dirk Verbeuren (Formerly of Soilwork, now with Megadeth)
- Brooks Wackerman (Formerly of Bad Religion, now with Avenged Sevenfold)
- And an unknown 4th drummer, possibly/maybe Gene Hoglan.
He eventually settled on just 2 drummers: Ryan and Dirk. Ryan was chosen because he is a hard-hitting drummer and also Dev’s live drummer with the DTP. Dev wanted to give Ryan a head-start on the material since he would be playing some of it live. Dirk Verbeuren was chosen because he’s a faster drummer who’s capable of blast beats. Perfect for the chaotic sound of this album. The two drummers split the material, each playing on different songs, and both drummers play on The Mighty Masturbator.

Deconstruction also features many different guest vocalists from the metal world, listed above. Fredrik Thordendal from Meshuggah plays a guitar solo on the title track. Dev wrote the orchestration and choral arrangements with help from Mike St. Jean and Florian Magnus Meier, and hired the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and the PA’dam Chamber Choir in Amsterdam to play and sing on the album. They only had 4 hours to record the orchestra, and the orchestra sightread the music. The choir was not impressed or amused with Dev’s lyrics about farting and cheeseburgers, or the tongue twisters he threw in just to mess with them, like “Cinnamon Synonym”.

Deconstruction was mixed by Jens Bogren and Dev in Sweden. A remixed version of the album was included in the Contain Us box set. Having listened to the remix for the first time recently, after listening to the original mix for the past 12 years, the only significant difference I heard was that the bass guitar is a little clearer.

Praise the Lowered was originally titled (Purge)tory.

Juular was originally titled “Jugular” but Dev misspelled it and decided to keep the typo. Juular was the only single released for this album and a music video was made for it.
https://youtu.be/n-DKs0qfdEk

The Mighty Masturbator is the longest song Dev released up to this point. The song in a way is meant to poke fun at long, pretentious progressive metal songs full of guitar wankery.
The Mighty Masturbator was the original title for the Ziltoid album, and the song even features an appearance from Ziltoid himself at the end. Ziltoid is the greatest guitar player ever to have lived.
The arpeggios Dev plays when the full band comes in are from Numbered, as are some of the lyrics.
The arpeggios at 5:57 are a sped up version of the arpeggios from the song Ki
The rave section comes from Traestorz, an electronic song included in the Contain Us box set.
The riff at the end of the rave section is the same riff as the outro to By Your Command, but slowed down (Pound pound pound ye push ye push…)
The final part of the song is taken from the Infinite Waltz section of Processional from the Christeen EP. 

Pandemic contains lyrics from the arpeggio section of the song Ki:
“Here’s a little riddle bout a when I was a little toddle, Piddle in the puddle and my head was in a muddle You can sing it when you’re sad, You can sing it when you’re mad, You can sing it in the shower come along the latest fad”

This progress chart from the recording sessions shows other songs not included on the album.

Terrorizer (Formerly known as “Madd at My Dadd”) was not included on the album or Contain Us, and instead was released on the compilation CD “Fear Candy 100”, included with issue 216 of the magazine, Terrorizer.
https://youtu.be/eeutihZh18I

Ho Krll was a iTunes-exclusive bonus track and also included in the Contain Us box set. It was originally intended for Ziltoid the Omniscient.

Illuminati, Turning Black, and The Universe may have become other songs.

Brown Man was included in the Contain Us box set, and it requires your immediate attention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOARd5vjlGk

Deconstructing Badgers was also recorded during the Deconstruction sessions (Not shown on the chart) and is a cover of a song from a Weebl cartoon
The original: https://youtu.be/EIyixC9NsLI
Dev’s uploaded his cover to YouTube in 2013.
https://youtu.be/C0apsOhWV2M

Deconstruction was released on June 20, 2011, the same day as the following DTP album, Ghost. Dev says he structured this album like a roller coaster. It starts slow and gradually builds momentum, and by the time you get to Pandemic, it’s all speed and frenetic chaos until the end. There’s some much needed breaks from the chaos along the way, like the clean sections of Planet of the Apes and Sumeria. If Deconstruction is a meal, it’s a triple, or even a quadruple cheeseburger with a side of fries, and large soda. It’s a lot to take in, and it may be too much for some people. Understandable, but if you can digest it, it’s a satisfying experience.

Deconstruction is my 4th favorite DTP album, and somewhere in the top 10 for all of Dev’s discography. I first listened to Deconstruction on a drive to Harrisonburg, VA. So whenever I listen to it, I think of mountains and James Madison University. Absolutely what Dev had in mind when making this album.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 10:47:25 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #289 on: June 07, 2023, 10:02:29 PM »
My fave Devy album!  :tup

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #290 on: June 07, 2023, 10:11:39 PM »
I got way behind in this thread and will probably have to bookmark it and read it at a later point, but I feel obligated to mention Addicted!, which was just covered.  I had a pretty massive initial period of Devy listening a few years before that came out, and by the time it was coming out I was pretty burned out on his music for a number of years.  I somehow missed the news that he was working with Anneke at the time, so I didn't discover it until years later.  That collaboration really revitalized his music for me though, as I increasingly got into Anneke's other projects over time.  They made a great musical pair for a number of albums.  "Supercrush!" is easily one of his best songs with their tradeoffs, plus Ryan's outstanding drumming. 

Offline The Realm

« Reply #291 on: June 07, 2023, 11:27:19 PM »
Deconstruction! What an album - it is a lot to take in. I love it though.

Addicted - this is also great.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #292 on: June 08, 2023, 07:49:35 AM »
Deconstruction used to be my favorite Devin Townsend album and a contender for my favorite album ever. I still love it, but not quite as much as I used to. It's such a sprawling and complex album and the strength of individual songs suffers a little bit for that, but while songs like Planet Of The Apes or The Mighty Masturbator might not have the most sensical song structures, they make up for it by some really amazing moments scattered throughout. Let's go through just a few. ;)

- The electronic intro to Praise The Lowered that lulls you into a false sense of serenity before the "SMOKE THAT FUCKING WEED" drop
- The "tungsten body, glowing mind" section on Planet Of The Apes
- Sticking with Planet Of The Apes, the "I'm sorry baby, I'm sworn to miles and miles of love" section near the end is absolutely beautiful, even with the constant double-bass going on. It's simple, but carries so much emotion somehow.
- The outro of Sumeria, enough said.
- The drop at the beginning of The Mighty Masturbator is one of the biggest fucking things I've ever heard. :metal
- The whole rave section of The Mighty Masturbator is awesome (though I wish the electronic drums weren't so limp). The riff combined with the "GIVE IT UP, YOUR WORLD" chant is insanely catchy, and the increasing intensity of the "we praise God / ourselves / Satan" sections are awesome.
- The way The Mighty Masturbator ends with the "aaaameeeeeennnnn" is so hilariously stupid and goofy that I can't help but crack a smile whenever I hear it. You can even hear the choir laughing at the end. :lol
- Less a specific moment but the sheer chaos of Pandemic has grown a lot on me over the years, especially the bit right before Floor first comes in. I admire how, at this point in the album, the intensity is just so much higher than it was when the album began.
- The whole finale of the title track. The bright strings and the incredibly passionate vocals combined with the insanely fast drumming is a pretty transcendental experience.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: June 08, 2023, 08:39:24 AM »
Ive struggled to find enjoyment from this album.  It's just too much for me. I haven't listened to it in years though. Juular and Planet of the Apes are pretty awesome from the Retinal Circus, but neither are highlights from the live album for me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #294 on: June 08, 2023, 10:37:27 AM »
This was a nice comeback after Addicted which I didn't quite dig. There's some humor on Deconstruction that maybe goes too far into cringe territory for me but musically the album slaps pretty hard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #295 on: June 08, 2023, 12:21:26 PM »
I often do not dig Devin's crazy and more extreme metal, so much of Deconstruction is a miss for me.  He usually straddles the line to where he can make a really metal song still sound melodic, but that is not the case with a few songs here.  I love Juular and TMM, and I love parts of the title track (GOOD LORD, IT'S A CHEESEBURGER!!), but this just isn't an album I reach for anymore.  Devin just has so many albums now, most of which I prefer to this one.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: June 08, 2023, 01:25:18 PM »
Forgot to include these in the writeup, but it’s definitely worth watching the “Making of” videos for Deconstruction.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_AGVF5YuSPIPzF2LBK7xkZEudutr8C22

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #297 on: June 08, 2023, 04:53:09 PM »
I often do not dig Devin's crazy and more extreme metal, so much of Deconstruction is a miss for me.  He usually straddles the line to where he can make a really metal song still sound melodic, but that is not the case with a few songs here.  I love Juular and TMM, and I love parts of the title track (GOOD LORD, IT'S A CHEESEBURGER!!), but this just isn't an album I reach for anymore.  Devin just has so many albums now, most of which I prefer to this one.
I've had the opposite experience. The further away we get from Deconstruction, and the more albums he's released since then, the more this sticks out as an extraordinary piece of his discography. I've grown to appreciate it a ton since release.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #298 on: June 09, 2023, 03:17:40 AM »
I’ve not kept up with posting here for a few weeks, but am catching up with a load of the albums to get my ranking down. We’re hitting the peak Devin era here now.

I did already relisten to Ki earlier in the week. I enjoy it, but find the heaviness tease fest to get in the way of me truly loving it. It’s a nice one to revisit regularly, but if I’m doing this era it’s all about Addicted and Deconstruction.

Talking of these two, as others have said, Addicted is close to my favourite Devy album and just such an incredibly fun ride. Deconstruction is a way more densely challenging listen. After listening on and off for nearly 10 years, I still don’t feel I fully appreciate it.

If I can finish up revisiting all these albums today, I’ll post an updated album ranking  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #299 on: June 09, 2023, 06:34:11 AM »

This is me, though I'm probably due to revisit this sometime soon. Maybe before the DT show later this month.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #300 on: June 09, 2023, 07:13:18 AM »
While I admire the achievement of Deconstruction, it's probably my least played of all Dev's albums. It may be a masterpiece, but it's not a listenable one. There's some good stuff on it, it's just all a little too much in one go.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #301 on: June 09, 2023, 07:18:58 AM »
I love this album so much. It took me a long time to digest and get into, but once it clicked, it clicked.

It's tough to listen to in one listen, but I love the songs. I think he once called it controlled chaos and that seems quite accurate.

I love the subject matters of songs like Mighty Masterbator and Deconstruction from a psychological lense.

Also while I didn't know he had intended a link to the Divine Comedy, I did catch a few lines from Inferno being put in there and didn't get why. Not that I mind, a ton of my new album is directly inspired lyrically by The Divine Comedy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:35:47 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #302 on: June 09, 2023, 07:30:58 AM »
While I admire the achievement of Deconstruction, it's probably my least played of all Dev's albums. It may be a masterpiece, but it's not a listenable one. There's some good stuff on it, it's just all a little too much in one go.

I tried listening to this again last week but it doesn't work for me.

There are loads of good bits (Juular, for example) but it's a sprawling platter that isn't any kind of fun to listen to, sad to say. Its the start of a slump for me, tbh.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 08:50:30 PM by Metropolaris »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #304 on: June 10, 2023, 12:30:14 AM »
So I finished catching up with relistening up to where we are at now…

1. Addicted!
2. Accelerated Evolution
3. Terria
4. Ocean Machine
5. Ziltoid the Omniscient
6. Infinity
7. Synchestra
8. Deconstruction
9. Ki

10. Alien
11. Physicist
12. City
13. Christeen + 4 Demos

14. Strapping Young Lad
15. Heavy As a Really Heavy Thing
16. The New Black
17. Sex and Religion

18. No Sleep 'till Bedtime
19.  Ass Sordid Demos II
20.  Ass Sordid Demos I
21.  Punky Brüster
22. Ancient
23. The Hummer

24. Devlab
25. IR8 Vs. Sexoturica

This era of Devin's work is so good. After this point he still has some great albums but starts to repeat himself to a degree.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #305 on: June 11, 2023, 05:05:28 AM »
Yeah, Deconstruction isn't for me. I had high anticipation but hearing it on release day was a huge letdown. I've tried and tried time and again but that record doesn't get any better.

I don't mind heavy and I don't mind chaos in music, but what's missing here are songs with substance. Nothing makes me want to listen to it again.

So power to all who hold it in high regard but this is a low point in Devy's discography for me.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Devin Townsend Discography Thread v2: Ghost
« Reply #306 on: June 13, 2023, 08:02:28 AM »
The Devin Townsend Project - Ghost
Released June 20, 2011

Tracklisting:

1. Fly
2. Heart Baby
3. Feather
4. Kawaii
5. Ghost
6. Blackberry
7. Monsoon
8. Dark Matters
9. Texada
10. Seams
11. Infinite Ocean
12. As You Were

Bonus Tracks:
13. Radial Highway (iTunes Bonus Track)

Personnel:
Devin Townsend - Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Keyboards, Banjo
Kat Epple - Flutes, Woodwinds
Mike St. Jean - Drums
Dave Young - Keyboards, Mandolin
Katrina Natale - Vocals

The fourth album from the DTP is Ghost. The DTP was originally meant to be a trilogy, but Dev had the idea for a fourth album that explored a side of music that he had never shown before: New Age. He had been a fan of new age and meditational music since his youth, and two of his past albums(Ki and Synchestra) were named after new age albums. Dev considered the titles Reconstruction and Rain Songs before settling on the name Ghost.

As stated in the Deconstruction writeup, Ghost was recorded before Deconstruction, as Dev wanted to do something mellow before diving into the chaos of Deconstruction. Dev once again recorded this album at the Factory and at his home studio. Dev plays guitar, bass, banjo, and keyboards, Mike St. Jean played drums, and Dave Young played keyboards. A lot of the songs were recorded as live takes, with Dev teaching Mike the songs in the studio and recording them as soon as he got them down. Dev reached out to flautist Kat Epple to play on the album. Kat had been a part of a new age duo called Emerald Web, who Dev was a fan of. Dev sent her the songs and she recorded her parts at her home studio. Katrina Natale sang the female vocals.

Feather was the only single from Ghost. An edited version of the song was included on a 7” single called The Calm and the Storm, along with Juular.

Kawaii is Japanese for “Cute”. A music video was made for it (More of a Slideshow…)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1GpPgIO3L0

The melody of the title track came from a song Dev heard some people singing in a park.

Monsoon is an improv jam between Dev, Dave and Mike. Dev sent the song to Kat Epple and she improvised over it.

Dark Matters contains a reading from a book about infinity. The song shares its name with a future Dev album, but as far as I know their connection ends there.

As You Were ends with the same riff from A Monday, the first song on Ki. Bringing this four-album series full circle.

Some videos of the making of Ghost
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_AGVF5YuSPKaNAsLAJjPPJY9LR58H-wO

Ghost was released June 20, 2011, the same day as Deconstruction. There’s a lot less to unpack with Ghost as opposed to Deconstruction. Its also nowhere near as referential as Deconstruction. It’s a simple, soothing album. One of my favorites. I’m sure plenty of people will find this album to be nothing more than boring background music. Something to help you fall asleep. But I find it to be one of the most enjoyable and rewarding albums in all of Dev’s catalog.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

The Devin Townsend Project - Ghost 2

Tracklisting:

1. Radial Highway
2. Drench
3. Mend
4. Fall
5. Watch You
6. Saloon
7. Perspective
8. Coming Home
9. Moonshine

Ghost 2 is comprised of leftover material from Ghost that was deemed too dark and didn’t fit the vibe. It was meant to be released as a bonus disc for Ghost, but the label told Dev to wait, as they were already releasing two albums at once. He revisited the material in 2012 and didn’t connect with it, so he ultimately scrapped the album.

Most of these songs have been released, and some of this material would end up on the bonus disc for Casualties or Cool. Dev insisted in the commentary for that disc that Ghost 2 will be released eventually, but I doubt it, honestly.

Radial Highway was an iTunes bonus track and also included in the Contain Us box set. The song is a hybrid of Bad Devil, and Radar Love by Golden Earring. Sean Verault plays the slide guitar.

Drench was originally posted on Dev's SoundCloud in 2011
https://soundcloud.com/ghostdt/drench

Mend was included on a USB drive given to VIP attendees of the By a Thread shows. The song is composed by Dev, but is played by Jeff Schmidt.

Fall was posted on MackieGear’s SoundCloud. It used to be available for download, but not anymore.
https://on.soundcloud.com/fSFcm9t22VM7gbxC8

Watch You is included in Contain Us. It contains a callback to Stand from Deconstruction.

Saloon has never been released as an official studio version, but Dev has played it live at pretty much every acoustic show from this era, and the song does appear on the Unplugged album.

Coming Home has also never been released. Dev has been working on this song for close to 30 years. He played it live once at an acoustic show in Perth, Australia, but no footage has ever surfaced. A snippet of the song can be heard 12 seconds into this video.
https://youtu.be/d3vLMBmdQNk

Moonshine was also included on the By a Thread VIP USB drive.

Drench, Mend, Perspective, and Moonshine were all included on the bonus disc for Casualties of Cool.

Unplugged
Released August 9, 2011

Tracklisting:

1. Coast (Acoustic)
2. Terminal (Acoustic)
3. Funeral (Acoustic)
4. Fall (Acoustic)
5. Saloon (Acoustic)
6. Lady Helen (Acoustic)
7. Radial Highway (Acoustic)
8. Kawaii (Acoustic)
9. Ih-Ah! (Acoustic)

Unplugged is a solo acoustic EP recorded by Dev in the summer of 2011 and sold at some acoustic shows Dev played in the UK. It contains primarily material from the DTP albums, as well as a new arrangement of Funeral, from Ocean Machine.

Full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTyp6fHcYKY

Posted this one early because I felt like it. It's a beautiful day here in RVA, perfect day to listen to an album like this.
Beware the hidden ghost, hidden somewhere in this post.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 08:07:56 PM by Metro »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: June 13, 2023, 08:12:25 AM »
Ghost and that unplugged album are one of my favorite releases from Devin. I haven't checked out any of the ghost 2 stuff

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #308 on: June 13, 2023, 08:12:32 AM »
Ghost is a really nice album and is pretty much the only album that makes sense to play directly after Deconstruction. :lol Fly and Feather are my highlights. Seams is also really underrated. I like how meditative the last three songs on this album are. I imagine most of the album taking place around sunset, and the end of Texada / the start of Seams is when it finally sets.

Having heard most of the songs on Ghost 2, I agree with Devin that it wouldn't have been a very engaging listen. The best two songs from it ended up on Contain Us (Radial Highway and Watch You), and they're both awesome.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: June 13, 2023, 08:17:02 AM »
I've only really listened to this album while laying in bed to go to sleep.  It's not music for my typical enjoyment and it's been even longer than Deconstruction since I've given it a listen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #310 on: June 13, 2023, 03:22:41 PM »
I have to be in just the right mood to enjoy all of Ghost, but it is an incredible album, that is for sure.  And I can always go for Feather, the title track, Blackberry and Texada, all of which I collectively view as the standouts.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #311 on: June 15, 2023, 10:35:32 AM »
The only thing incredible about this album is how boring it is.  :biggrin:

I know a lot of people really like Ghost and the playing on it is nice and it's an interesting contrast to Deconstruction and it's cool the hear Devy's mellower side. But for me it's just interchangeable background music.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #312 on: June 15, 2023, 10:39:25 AM »
The only thing incredible about this album is how boring it is.  :biggrin:

I know a lot of people really like Ghost and the playing on it is nice and it's an interesting contrast to Deconstruction and it's cool the hear Devy's mellower side. But for me it's just interchangeable background music.

Just wait 'til we get to Snuggles... :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: June 15, 2023, 10:43:49 AM »
Y’all are gonna love his new project  :P

Dreampeace

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: June 15, 2023, 10:46:38 AM »
Y’all are gonna love his new project  :P

Dreampeace

:lol yeah based on my recent comments, not for me, but I did subscribe because he asked for the support.