Author Topic: The official Children of Bodom thread v. RIP Alexi Laiho :(  (Read 12202 times)

Offline Dave_Manchester

Re: The official Children of Bodom thread v. RIP Alexi Laiho :(
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2021, 08:05:09 PM »
Great song, very much a HCDR/AYDY vibe to it. So sad to see him for the final time, I still can't believe he's gone.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2021, 08:40:52 PM »
That was a great tune, but damn, so sad.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2021, 10:31:58 PM »
That was a great tune, but damn, so sad.

Indeed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2021, 05:56:33 AM »
Maybe I need to revisit Are You Dead Yet but I don't remember it being nearly as melodically interesting as this tune. Sounds more like Reaper/Hate Crew era to me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2021, 12:50:35 PM »
Really sad to see the video, even more so how unwell he looks, not just the video but also the recent promo pics.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2021, 03:04:42 PM »
Daniel Freyberg just gave an interview about Alexi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAqAiT7N8vg

...and apparently the video for Paint The Sky With Blood was filmed just 9 days before he died.

It's gonna be a good while before this stops hurting. I've never been so affected by a 'celebrity' death.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2021, 04:45:07 AM »
Jesus, 9 days.  :(

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2021, 08:15:10 PM »
Jesus, 9 days.  :(
Yep. I'm embarrassed to say I've not been handling this well at all. I'm not an emotional person but last night I listened to Hatebreeder and ended up crying a little. I can't believe he's gone so young.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2021, 02:27:27 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMBAd6qJT_S/

his wife posted cause of death

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2021, 08:24:08 PM »
If you ever wondered about original Bodom rhythm guitarist, Alexander Kuoppala?
https://youtu.be/xLr6oS8bmXc

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #151 on: September 14, 2021, 03:33:39 AM »
Downfall cover by Iikka Syynimaa band w/Alexander Kuoppala
https://youtu.be/CAydgkg9Xjg
Pretty decent cover...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2023, 05:53:18 AM »
So.....the new line-up of Warmen sounds just like Norther mixed with AYDY era Bodom.

https://youtu.be/jZc6jzNy2ik

This is fantastic.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2023, 11:38:01 AM »

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2023, 02:42:51 PM »
So.....the new line-up of Warmen sounds just like Norther mixed with AYDY era Bodom.

This is fantastic.

Yea this was pretty damn good.

As huge as a Bodom fan as I’ve been for nearly 20 years, I’ve never listened to Warmen, better rectify that!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2023, 12:03:36 AM »

This is fantastic.

Yea this was pretty damn good.

As huge as a Bodom fan as I’ve been for nearly 20 years, I’ve never listened to Warmen, better rectify that!

All previous 5 Warmen albums sound nothing like the two new Bodom cloned songs.
Think neo-classical shredding instrumentals and songs with vocals are power metallish and more pop orientated.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2023, 03:44:14 AM »
How good were the first two albums!?  :metal

Wasn't much of a fan of the 3rd but didn't check out the others.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2023, 12:58:14 AM »
Yeah the first two Warmen albums were killer, well the third one too was really good, had great cover of Somebody's Watching Me 'sung' by Alexi.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: July 18, 2023, 05:08:44 AM »
Might have to revisit it, have that on CD somewhere I think.  I think just the high bar the first two albums set it was hard to match that.  I remember not really digging the vocal songs, even with Timo.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2023, 07:03:44 AM »
Anyone else getting on this new Children of Bodom live album today? This is one (possibly actually the last?) of the bands final performances. I adore this band but it is obviously bittersweet due to Alexi's untimely passing. I'll raise a beer to this though...

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2023, 10:44:04 AM »
I have it - it's actually the band's FINAL performance.  They billed it as the final show and played a set where at least one song from every album was played. 

I listened to it once, and it seems good, but I'll have to listen again and focus more on Alexi, knowing that his health was likely declining at that time and he'd only live about one year longer.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2023, 12:17:37 PM »
I have it - it's actually the band's FINAL performance.  They billed it as the final show and played a set where at least one song from every album was played. 

I listened to it once, and it seems good, but I'll have to listen again and focus more on Alexi, knowing that his health was likely declining at that time and he'd only live about one year longer.

Yea dude, all I could think about the whole album was Alexi, and how sad it was that we lost him so young and how this was his last performance with the band that was essentially him.

Listening to it brought back so many memories about the band and my early days loving the band. I had one friend back in the day who was as obsessed with them as me. We lived together in 2006 and went to see Bodom a load of times.

We lost touch over the years and he has really struggled with his mental health. I know I've been a shitty friend and not been there at times when he needed a friend. We'd catch up every now and then but our friendship isn't what it once was. Anyway, listening to this album made think of him a lot, and I sent him a message. I'm gonna try and catch up with him and be a better friend I guess.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2023, 01:10:25 PM »
Janne commented on Alexi changing in 2016, saying he'd drink himself to death from then on..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2023, 01:45:49 PM »
I didn't even know about this.  Definitely will be having a listen.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2023, 08:35:07 PM »
Yea dude, all I could think about the whole album was Alexi, and how sad it was that we lost him so young and how this was his last performance with the band that was essentially him.

Listening to it brought back so many memories about the band and my early days loving the band. I had one friend back in the day who was as obsessed with them as me. We lived together in 2006 and went to see Bodom a load of times.

We lost touch over the years and he has really struggled with his mental health. I know I've been a shitty friend and not been there at times when he needed a friend. We'd catch up every now and then but our friendship isn't what it once was. Anyway, listening to this album made think of him a lot, and I sent him a message. I'm gonna try and catch up with him and be a better friend I guess.

I only saw COB once, in 2004.  They were direct support for Iced Earth, with Evergrey opening.  That was a really great package and I was thrilled to see each band for the first time.  COB was touring on the Hatecrew Deathroll record.  I'd have preferred an additional song from Hatebreeder, but it was great to see them live.

Needled 24/7
Hate Me!
Chokehold (Cocked 'n' Loaded)
Silent Night, Bodom Night
Sixpounder
Everytime I Die
Hate Crew Deathroll
Downfall

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2023, 08:40:43 PM »
Needled 24/7
Hate Me!
Sixpounder
Everytime I Die
Hate Crew Deathroll
Downfall

Can't get much better than that.   If they added Hatebreeder or Kissing the Shadows, it's a home run.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2023, 08:41:02 PM »

I only saw COB once, in 2004.  They were direct support for Iced Earth, with Evergrey opening.  That was a really great package and I was thrilled to see each band for the first time.  COB was touring on the Hatecrew Deathroll record.  I'd have preferred an additional song from Hatebreeder, but it was great to see them live.

Needled 24/7
Hate Me!
Sixpounder
Everytime I Die
Hate Crew Deathroll
Downfall

I saw the St. Louis show of that tour. My friend and I saw Alexi hanging out watching one of the openers and went up and talked to him. Asked him some questions and even gave him a hug (can't remember if I did or just my friend) but he was a super kind dude. I don't really like COB at all, but I was a big Sinergy fan.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2023, 08:12:14 PM »

Needled 24/7
Hate Me!
Sixpounder
Everytime I Die
Hate Crew Deathroll
Downfall

I saw the St. Louis show of that tour. My friend and I saw Alexi hanging out watching one of the openers and went up and talked to him. Asked him some questions and even gave him a hug (can't remember if I did or just my friend) but he was a super kind dude. I don't really like COB at all, but I was a big Sinergy fan.

I love the first Sinergy record with the Alexi/Jesper combo on guitars.  I haven't ever really gotten into the others as much.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2023, 08:20:02 PM »
First one is probably my least favorite but not bad. I just feel like they found their sound on the 2nd and 3rd. Plus Kim really started going all out on vocals.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #169 on: December 17, 2023, 12:42:58 AM »
I'm not too familiar with the two Sinergy records that aren't Suicide by My Side. I've given them a few listens, but they never stuck. SBMS is a totally different beast though. That album is just top to bottom killers. I haven't listened to it in a little while so will have to bust it out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2023, 04:18:22 AM »
Luke is right.  Suicide is by far their best record.  No contest.  How good hearing Alexi and Roope trading off too.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2023, 01:44:06 PM »
Luke is right.  Suicide is by far their best record.  No contest.  How good hearing Alexi and Roope trading off too.

Yea it is exceptionally good. Listening to Beware The Heavens now and it just not pack the same punch at all.