Author Topic: 2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers  (Read 58520 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers
« Reply #2870 on: February 12, 2024, 11:26:49 AM »
Kelce should be cited and tried for elder abuse, he could have killed him. Dude is a 30 something incredible hulk (complete with temper issue) and put his hands on a 65 year old man. Absolutely unconscionable
FFS he didn't attack and beat the guy.  He bumped into him (which he definitely should not have done) which looked worse than it was because Reid was off balance.  Reid is OK, and OK with what happened, and it's not something that happens on the regular and is definitely out of the ordinary. 

Not everything has to be a point of outrage.  It was an unfortunate issue, and it's over, and everyone directly involved has moved past it, so I don't know why anyone else wouldn't.

That's the point for me; it DOES seem to happen on the regular.  He's a big man baby in terms of controlling his emotions.

We actually don't know that "everyone directly involved has moved past it".   It's the euphoria of success, and that has it's moment, but I'm not 100% certain that it's over behind the scenes.  Then again, with Reid... you never know.
Kelce putting hands on Reid does not happen on the regular.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2871 on: February 12, 2024, 11:30:37 AM »
Kelce should be cited and tried for elder abuse, he could have killed him. Dude is a 30 something incredible hulk (complete with temper issue) and put his hands on a 65 year old man. Absolutely unconscionable
FFS he didn't attack and beat the guy.  He bumped into him (which he definitely should not have done) which looked worse than it was because Reid was off balance.  Reid is OK, and OK with what happened, and it's not something that happens on the regular and is definitely out of the ordinary. 

Not everything has to be a point of outrage.  It was an unfortunate issue, and it's over, and everyone directly involved has moved past it, so I don't know why anyone else wouldn't.

That's the point for me; it DOES seem to happen on the regular.  He's a big man baby in terms of controlling his emotions.

We actually don't know that "everyone directly involved has moved past it".   It's the euphoria of success, and that has it's moment, but I'm not 100% certain that it's over behind the scenes.  Then again, with Reid... you never know.

No, but his losing his temper to the point of loss of control does.  I'm not sure we give him a pass because he randomly expresses it in different ways each time.  Temper is temper, and he's going to hurt someone at some point.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2872 on: February 12, 2024, 11:34:24 AM »
Great second half and OT. After the first half, my daughter was bored, and I told her the Chiefs are a second half team. They certainly were. Either team could have won it. I hear people giving the Niners kicker a bad time -- whatever. The kicker wasn't the problem.

Niners look positioned for a very successful era with Purdy under center. And the Chiefs - I figured Reid would retire. But he said no. So, onward they go. Certainly a "dynasty" as the media has labeled. I guess three chips in five years qualifies. Congrats to both teams on excellent seasons.

Can the Jets win one, please?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in April 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president
  • james labrief and mike portnoy friendship simp
« Reply #2873 on: February 12, 2024, 11:34:44 AM »
jokes aside, i agree with stadler 100%. these kinds of incidents (especially with an established pattern as stadler has pointed out, even if it's not the same action each time) aren't going to just stop because we ignore it. dude needs some anger management

EDIT: it even seems like last night's incident is an escalation of his already established pattern of losing his temper. now he's putting his hands on people, too. what's next?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana

RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2874 on: February 12, 2024, 11:42:19 AM »
I didn't see the incident in question, had better things to do, but Jimmy Johnson made it abundantly clear that not all players are created equally. He had one sacrificial player a year that he'd cut just to make a statement to everybody else. I was at the game that got Curvin Richards cut. Belicichk has taken a similar approach. That 4th string RB that pulled an Al Bundy and then showed up late to practice the next day comes to mind.

Jimmy cut a player a year to make a statement, and in the meantime when Michael Irvin stabbed somebody in the neck he and Jerry paid everybody off to make it go away. When asked about it Jimmy just said "are you kidding? You don't treat the playmaker like some other player." This applies to Kelce. He's fine right up to the point that his antics overtake his play to make him a liability. Right now he's still a massive asset.

That doesn't mean you don't quietly shop the guy around, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2875 on: February 12, 2024, 11:46:59 AM »
Kelce's rage isn't something I paid attention to. I thought what he did last night was...grounds for discipline. But Reid knows his guys. But if this is a pattern of incidents, Kelce may want to get some help. Wanting to win and getting absolutely raged on the field is one thing. Putting your hands on people NOT on the field, is not. Hard for these guys sometimes to come down off that adrenaline, but still.

I sincerely hope Kelce doesn't have a problem with this in his personal life.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in April 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

« Reply #2876 on: February 12, 2024, 11:48:49 AM »
fwiw Reid can be just as much at fault here (even tho in this case he was the victim) if he allows his players/employees to touch him in moments of rage. what kind of boss let's people do that?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2877 on: February 12, 2024, 11:55:20 AM »
Not everything has to be a point of outrage.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #2878 on: February 12, 2024, 12:01:08 PM »
it should be when peoples' physical health and well-being is at risk

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2879 on: February 12, 2024, 12:01:58 PM »
Not everything has to be a point of outrage.

Good advice for the guy who, this season, punched his teammate, threw his helmet, and shoved his coach.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2880 on: February 12, 2024, 12:02:13 PM »
it should be when peoples' physical health and well-being is at risk
It's not.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2881 on: February 12, 2024, 12:03:29 PM »

You sure about that? :heybaby:

« Reply #2882 on: February 12, 2024, 12:15:37 PM »
well i think we can all agree his abusive behavior will be ignored, since wealthy famous people always get a pass in america. i just hope he doesn't hit taylor next, or a fan.

anyway, that's about all there is to talk about football for me until superb owl 2025, see y'all then, when KC beats another team

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2883 on: February 12, 2024, 12:27:04 PM »
Twitter answered the Kelce question, just look at the trending topics this morning. It was a combination of roid rage and MRNA rage from the covid vaccines.

Also, the psyop that was the Chiefs winning is complete. The NFL is the WWE, blah, blah, blah. I want to laugh at this stuff, but these people make it real hard to.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2884 on: February 12, 2024, 12:42:08 PM »
I figured Reid would retire.

I really thought he was going to announce that when the sideline reporter tried to get a quote from him immediately after the game and he said he'd save his remarks for the trophy presentation.  Maybe he would have if they had lost, but like Romo said - now they have a chance to go for history and be the only team to win 3 in a row.

Twitter answered the Kelce question, just look at the trending topics this morning. It was a combination of roid rage and MRNA rage from the covid vaccines.

Also, the psyop that was the Chiefs winning is complete. The NFL is the WWE, blah, blah, blah. I want to laugh at this stuff, but these people make it real hard to.

Those types of posts amazed me leading up to the game - the Taylor Swift/Pfizer influence on the NFL talk.  Do any of the people sharing that stuff not realize that the Chiefs have been really good for the last 5-6 years? 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2885 on: February 12, 2024, 01:03:40 PM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2886 on: February 12, 2024, 01:09:20 PM »

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2887 on: February 12, 2024, 01:27:40 PM »
Great example yesterday of how it takes an entire team to win a championship. Offense, defense, special teams all made huge plays at different times in the game to get KC the win. I was very impressed with Purdy - kid was not rattled at all and made some GREAT throws under pressure. Sometimes something as unfortunate as Greenlaw's injury might have made the difference in the game as the Chiefs starting abusing the middle of the field.

Shanahan of course is going to get harangued but I think his only real blunder was opting to receive in overtime. That's a clear no-no. Also maybe you question the 3rd and 4 call and whether they should have run it prior to kicking the field goal. But really, I think it was one of the greatest Super Bowls, 2 heavyweights slugging it out. Niners D-Line are maulers.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2888 on: February 12, 2024, 01:45:29 PM »
Great example yesterday of how it takes an entire team to win a championship. Offense, defense, special teams all made huge plays at different times in the game to get KC the win. I was very impressed with Purdy - kid was not rattled at all and made some GREAT throws under pressure.

Yeah, all of that.  To me, one of the big issues was that Spagnuolo called a GREAT defensive game for KC.  Consistent with what I said last week before the game, it wasn't flashy, and they didn't have any HUGE plays (outside maybe that strip fumble of McCaffrey on the first drive).  But they were so solid all game long.  And whenever SF would figure them out, they often dialed up something different or end up getting a key stop.  I think that was a huge part in why Purdy didn't have a bigger day than he did. 

Shanahan of course is going to get harangued but I think his only real blunder was opting to receive in overtime. That's a clear no-no.

I'm also going to disagree with that.  In general, I don't really subscribe to picking apart and second-guessing a coach's decisions.  But this one in particular, I completely get his decision.  He figured it was more likely than not that if they got in that position that both teams would likely be able to score, so then having the ball third when it is sudden death isn't a bad play at all. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2889 on: February 12, 2024, 02:11:08 PM »
Great example yesterday of how it takes an entire team to win a championship. Offense, defense, special teams all made huge plays at different times in the game to get KC the win. I was very impressed with Purdy - kid was not rattled at all and made some GREAT throws under pressure.

Yeah, all of that.  To me, one of the big issues was that Spagnuolo called a GREAT defensive game for KC.  Consistent with what I said last week before the game, it wasn't flashy, and they didn't have any HUGE plays (outside maybe that strip fumble of McCaffrey on the first drive).  But they were so solid all game long.  And whenever SF would figure them out, they often dialed up something different or end up getting a key stop.  I think that was a huge part in why Purdy didn't have a bigger day than he did. 

Au contraire; the KC secondary had a couple really nice plays.  McDuffie wrapping his arm around Samuel's arm but pulling it into his body so the back judge couldn't see it.. I'm NOT saying "that should have been a penalty"; I'm saying that was a world class play by McDuffie.

Sneed played as well as a DB can play as well.  Jones also hit Purdy on that deep ball to Samuel as well; I think that saved a TD.

Shanahan of course is going to get harangued but I think his only real blunder was opting to receive in overtime. That's a clear no-no.

I'm also going to disagree with that.  In general, I don't really subscribe to picking apart and second-guessing a coach's decisions.  But this one in particular, I completely get his decision.  He figured it was more likely than not that if they got in that position that both teams would likely be able to score, so then having the ball third when it is sudden death isn't a bad play at all.

Yeah, that wasn't a bad call either; I think getting away from the run in the first part of the second half was a bigger blunder.  Also, not reading that blitz from Spags late in regulation (or maybe it was on that first drive).  Anyway, the Chiefs were gassed, they had no legs and they were going to do what they do best: blitz.  Even Tony Romo called it and the Niners had no answer; he should have seen that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2890 on: February 12, 2024, 02:17:22 PM »

Au contraire; the KC secondary had a couple really nice plays.  McDuffie wrapping his arm around Samuel's arm but pulling it into his body so the back judge couldn't see it.. I'm NOT saying "that should have been a penalty"; I'm saying that was a world class play by McDuffie.

Sneed played as well as a DB can play as well.  Jones also hit Purdy on that deep ball to Samuel as well; I think that saved a TD.

I'm not sure why you said "Au contraire," since we seem to be agreeing.  As I said, they played rock solid.  They just didn't have the huge, flashy QB sacks or turnovers, that's all I'm saying.  And that's how they play, which is a huge compliment to the D and to Spags.  Those two plays you mention are great examples of what I mean.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2891 on: February 12, 2024, 02:52:37 PM »

I'm not sure why you said "Au contraire," since we seem to be agreeing.  As I said, they played rock solid.  They just didn't have the huge, flashy QB sacks or turnovers, that's all I'm saying.  And that's how they play, which is a huge compliment to the D and to Spags.  Those two plays you mention are great examples of what I mean.

Okay; I misunderstood the "flashy" part. No, they weren't flashy, but I think they played exceptional given their talent level. Which IS what you're saying.  So yes.  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2892 on: February 12, 2024, 03:00:40 PM »
So we're getting a foot of snow tomorrow, so I had the local news on over coffee, and was putting off going to ESPN because it was too soon for the fellating.... and interestingly, I'm seeing some of the hype for Mahomes and the Chiefs actually dying DOWN a little.  Stephen A. Smith today: (paraphrasing):  "Is Mahomes the greatest QB in the game today?  Not even close.  He may be the best player I've ever seen at the position.   The GOAT, though?  Not yet.  A little longevity is necessary for that designation."    This from the guy that was saying something different two weeks ago.  Orlovsky, same thing.  Greatest he's ever seen play the position (combo of skills, knowledge, execution), but GOAT?  Not yet. 

Where the hell were you clowns two years ago when my cholesterol doubled?   It's almost like they WANTED this and had to will it into being and now that it's on the doorstep and subject only to time, they can step off the gas a little bit and be more realistic about things.  Or maybe they're getting tired of it all too and looking to move on to the next guy... :) :) :) :)

Mahomes IS the best QB in the game and I don't think that's up for discussion at this point.  Josh and Lamar just don't win the big games consistently enough. Brock is too young and hasn't won ANYTHING yet (though he should have silenced the doubters at this point).  They are a dynasty, no question, at least as the term has been used in the NFL in the past.   Steelers, Dallas, SF...  they're there.  But they're still chasing the greatest of ALL TIME, and who knows, they may catch them.  They're not there yet.  Promising start, though (and game changed if they get an unprecedented three in a row). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: February 12, 2024, 03:05:38 PM »
Oh, one other thing:  What say us about the Niners players saying they had no clue about the overtime rules?  I've heard this before (I forget what team, might have been the Bengals, but thus came up about a year or two ago as well).  How can an NFL player in the biggest game of the year not know the rules?  I think that's unconscionable.  Credit to Reid that the Chiefs not only discussed it but game planned it.  That's Belichick level completeness and that's the stuff that wins Championships. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2894 on: February 12, 2024, 03:10:16 PM »
Didn't they say that the guy that caught the game winning TD was not aware that they won the game in the moment?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2895 on: February 12, 2024, 03:14:13 PM »
Oh, one other thing:  What say us about the Niners players saying they had no clue about the overtime rules?  I've heard this before (I forget what team, might have been the Bengals, but thus came up about a year or two ago as well).  How can an NFL player in the biggest game of the year not know the rules?  I think that's unconscionable.  Credit to Reid that the Chiefs not only discussed it but game planned it.  That's Belichick level completeness and that's the stuff that wins Championships. 

I briefly addressed that above.  Some of the players didn't know about the specific playoff OT change this year.  But the 49ers coaches knew and game planned for it.  There wasn't anything different for the players themselves to do, so I don't have any issue with the players not knowing.  It's easy to second guess from the outside why they wouldn't briefly address that at some point.  But knowing that it was in fact planned for and that the players themselves wouldn't be doing anything different, I'm not sure why it matters.

And TAC just beat me to it as I was hitting the "post" button, but not all the Chiefs players knew it either. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2896 on: February 12, 2024, 04:14:32 PM »
Oh, one other thing:  What say us about the Niners players saying they had no clue about the overtime rules?

Those aren't the rules that the players need to know.  As long as the coaches know the rules, who cares if some of the players don't?

Also, the referee's explanation that they were staring a "whole new game" probably didn't help.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2897 on: February 12, 2024, 04:17:52 PM »
Yeah, I thought the refs' explanation was about as useful as a can of Velveeta when the toiletpaper roll runs empty.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2898 on: February 12, 2024, 04:19:37 PM »

I briefly addressed that above.  Some of the players didn't know about the specific playoff OT change this year.  But the 49ers coaches knew and game planned for it.  There wasn't anything different for the players themselves to do, so I don't have any issue with the players not knowing.  It's easy to second guess from the outside why they wouldn't briefly address that at some point.  But knowing that it was in fact planned for and that the players themselves wouldn't be doing anything different, I'm not sure why it matters.

And TAC just beat me to it as I was hitting the "post" button, but not all the Chiefs players knew it either.

TBH, I actually didn't know the change about scoring a TD on the opening drive would still give the defense a chance to match it on offense.  And knowing that, I would have deferred and played defense after winning the coin toss, which is not what he 49ers did and potentially cost them the game.  It is 100% on the players to know the rule changes, the player makes the call on the coin toss (although I have no idea if the coach tells them before hand, I'd imagine they do, but still it's a player who makes the call on the spot).  Taking the ball on offense was always the obvious choice to make in OT until this rule change.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2899 on: February 12, 2024, 04:23:09 PM »
TBH, I actually didn't know the change about scoring a TD on the opening drive would still give the defense a chance to match it on offense.  And knowing that, I would have deferred and played defense after winning the coin toss, which is not what he 49ers did and potentially cost them the game.  It is 100% on the players to know the rule changes, the player makes the call on the coin toss (although I have no idea if the coach tells them before hand, I'd imagine they do, but still it's a player who makes the call on the spot).  Taking the ball on offense was always the obvious choice to make in OT until this rule change.

I didn't know about the change either.

I'll be anyone a dollar that calling heads or tails is entirely up to the player.  However, I'd bet $10 that the player who was out for that toss had been instructed by his coach to take the ball if they won the toss.  In fact, I'd considering coaching malpractice if that call was left to a player - especially one who had just played a very physical and mentally taxing game.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2900 on: February 12, 2024, 04:27:40 PM »
Well, Shanahan said that they had looked at the issue and already decided that if that happened, they were going to receive first.  So if it was already decided, the players out there for the toss had to have been instructed. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2901 on: February 12, 2024, 04:38:28 PM »
Well, Shanahan said that they had looked at the issue and already decided that if that happened, they were going to receive first.  So if it was already decided, the players out there for the toss had to have been instructed.

Oof. If that's the case then that's a bad take. In that scenario with that rule....you 100% defer to KC and put the pressure on them to score. You can't give Mahommes the ball with him knowing that if they get a TD they win the Super Bowl. I don't agree with receiving first in that scenario knowing that no matter what the other team gets a chance. Make them take it....shut them down....then go win it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2902 on: February 12, 2024, 04:49:48 PM »
However, I'd bet $10 that the player who was out for that toss had been instructed by his coach to take the ball if they won the toss.  In fact, I'd considering coaching malpractice if that call was left to a player - especially one who had just played a very physical and mentally taxing game.

Oh, I agree that it still is the Coach's call, but ya know, players make mistakes in the moment even as something trivial as the coin toss.

And if that was the coach's decision, then it would feel like the coach didn't know the rule change. Just kind of a bad call IMO.  In college you always defer if you win the coin toss in OT because it's easier to gameplan knowing what you need in your possession and potentially using all 4 downs.  I feel like the new rule change would imply the same call.   I guess it's entirely possible Shanahan did know the rule and did still choose to take the ball.  Either way, it doesn't look good to either not know the rules, or make that call IMO. Of course if they had just won it, no one would likely be talking about this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2903 on: February 12, 2024, 05:08:27 PM »

Oof. If that's the case then that's a bad take. In that scenario with that rule....you 100% defer to KC and put the pressure on them to score. You can't give Mahommes the ball with him knowing that if they get a TD they win the Super Bowl. I don't agree with receiving first in that scenario knowing that no matter what the other team gets a chance. Make them take it....shut them down....then go win it.

No, it's clearly NOT "100%" one way or the other, or else they wouldn't even give teams the choice.  There are good arguments for either approach, and second guessing after the fact just because we know the outcome in that particular game doesn't change that.  I get why he made the decision he did, and it makes perfect sense.  And even though he didn't mention it, the other reason it was the right call in that specific moment is that KC had just marched down the field and scored on the defense.  The 49ers defense was exhausted and need a series to rest.  Not given them that in that specific game situation would have increased the likelihood of a KC touchdown even more, while giving their defense more time to rest, and thus making it that much harder for SF's offense to get in the endzone. 

So even if you disagree with it, I don't think you can rightly argue that the call was "100%" wrong.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2904 on: February 12, 2024, 05:14:35 PM »
Good points being made, but at the end of the day, I think the explanation is very simple. The Niners are the better team on paper, except for the most important position in the game. And ultimately, the Niners made fatal mistakes in each phase of the game. Something that is always possible in the nfl, no matter how improbable.