2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers

Started by KevShmev, March 07, 2023, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamesman42

Quote from: TAC on September 24, 2023, 06:36:02 PM
If you had Denver +49... YOU LOST! :lol

I didn't see the game but how does that happen? Did the Broncos quit?

Offense was fast and unstoppable. Defense did a pretty good job and also forced a least one turnover that led to another TD. Broncos' D just did not have it together today while Tua and company looked unbeatable and efficient.
\o\ lol /o/

El Barto

Quote from: TAC on September 24, 2023, 05:25:08 PM
Holy shit do the Patriots suck. They should be embarrassed with that win. Zach Wilson fucking blows, and the Jets scored the same amount of touchdowns as the Patriots did.
They played them a helluva lot better than Buffalo did. And if holding the Jets to 10 doesn't impress you, holding Miami to 24 at this point damn well should. Winning ugly is better than losing pretty.

King Postwhore

Agreed El Barto. The offensive just needs to finish drives now.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Skeever

A win is a win and nothing to be embarrassed about.
I'd say the Jets have more talent on the team but Zach Wilson is so far below break even, and I'm not sure Robert Saleh and his coaching staff have what it takes for the NFL.

TAC

Quote from: El Barto on September 24, 2023, 09:19:32 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 24, 2023, 05:25:08 PM
Holy shit do the Patriots suck. They should be embarrassed with that win. Zach Wilson fucking blows, and the Jets scored the same amount of touchdowns as the Patriots did.
They played them a helluva lot better than Buffalo did. And if holding the Jets to 10 doesn't impress you, holding Miami to 24 at this point damn well should. Winning ugly is better than losing pretty.

With yesterdays results, yeah holding Miami to 24 does look good, but unless you score 25, what good is it?

Holding the Jets to 10 points with Aaron Rogers: Impressive
Holding the Jets to 10 points with Zach Wilson: Par
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

romdrums

Tua was playing Madden in rookie mode.

Stadler

Quote from: TAC on September 24, 2023, 06:26:55 PM
Quote from: Dream Team on September 24, 2023, 06:25:12 PM
Yeah, it seems Bill O'Brien hasn't had much of an impact yet. But they've played some really tough defenses.

Well, it's the NFL. All the competition is good.

I'm not sure what you guys expect; Bill O'Brien isn't the recipe for putting up 45 points a game.  In my book, I would have liked to have seen one more touchdown, but we skanked two field goals as well; that could have been a 21-10 "victory formation" win under slightly different circumstances.   Remember, people were touting the Jets as possible division winners before St. Rogers went down.  Last I checked, he doesn't play any defense, so that unit is intact. Mac made some nice throws, and he looked to gel a couple times with his receivers.  I don't expect miracles against Dallas, and losing three of four CBs isn't optimal, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

Jamesman42

As a diehard Miami fan, I still can't believe what happened yesterday. It was the perfect storm to score 70, I suppose. And this was all without Waddle. The ground game was unstoppable.
\o\ lol /o/

TAC

Quote from: Stadler on September 25, 2023, 06:26:34 AM
Yeah, it seems Bill O'Brien hasn't had much of an impact yet. But they've played some really tough defenses.

I'm not sure what you guys expect; Bill O'Brien isn't the recipe for putting up 45 points a game.  In my book, I would have liked to have seen one more touchdown, but we skanked two field goals as well; that could have been a 21-10 "victory formation" win under slightly different circumstances.   Remember, people were touting the Jets as possible division winners before St. Rogers went down.  Last I checked, he doesn't play any defense, so that unit is intact. Mac made some nice throws, and he looked to gel a couple times with his receivers.  I don't expect miracles against Dallas, and losing three of four CBs isn't optimal, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

They were touting the Jets as Division winners BECAUSE of Rogers, and yeah, I know they had the rookie DPOY & OPOY as well, so there is talent. With Wilson, there's nothing to gloat about.

Plus, when have the Pats and Pats fans ever cried about injuries? When they were winning SBs with Brady, it was all "next man up" rah rah rah. Now it's "boo hoo, we have injuries"

And while BO'B isn't a recipe for putting up 45 points, can he get more than 13? Can his offense score just ONE more TD than the worst QB in football?
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

King Postwhore

BoB is facing a very good Jets D.  No the shitty QB, who, didn't throw a pick.  He just isn't good with quick reads when there is any pressure. 
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

King Postwhore

Also, Jones & Ju Ju are not on the same page.  Not the same with Bourne.  They are in sync for sure. 

TheHoveringSojourn808

american football and taylor swift, they go together like pigs and shit. now, i know what some of y'all might be thinkin', "how in the world do a sport and a pop star got anythin' in common?" but trust me, there's more to it than meets the eye. first off, both american football and taylor swift are downright iconic in their own ways. they're like two big ol' stars in the american cultural universe. when you think 'bout the good ol' US of A, you can't help but think of football games and t-swizzle songs playin' in the background. let's talk 'bout the thrill of it all. when you watch a football game, it's a rollercoaster of emotions. the tension, the excitement, the heartbreak – it's all there. taylor swift's music, well, that's a rollercoaster too. you listen to her songs, and you're taken on a journey through love, heartache, and self-discovery. it's like watching a game-winning touchdown in slow motion.

speaking of touchdowns, taylor swift's got her own touchdowns in the music industry. she's got more hits than a star quarterback's got touchdowns in his career. and just like a quarterback who can read the defense and make a perfect pass, taylor knows how to connect with her audience. her lyrics speak to our souls, just like a perfectly thrown pass connects with a receiver's hands. now, let's talk 'bout the dedication. in american football, them players train like there's no tomorrow. they work hard, push their limits, and leave it all on the field. taylor swift, she's no different. she's been in the game for years, writing songs, touring, and giving her all in every performance. that level of dedication, it's something to admire. also, the storytelling, my friends. in football, you got the underdog stories, the comebacks, and the epic battles. in taylor's songs, you got tales of love, loss, and redemption. it's like they're both storytellers in their own right, just with different mediums. two massively incredible journeys

now, let's not forget the sense of community. when you watch a football game, you're part of something bigger than yourself. you're part of a fanbase, a family, rooting for your team. taylor swift's fans, they're a tight-knit bunch too. they support her through thick and thin, just like die-hard football fans support their team, win or lose. at the taylor swift show this year i saw swifties giving cops friendship bracelets, talk about healing the community! american football and taylor swift, they might seem like an unlikely pair at first glance, but when you dig a little deeper, you see the common threads. the passion, the dedication, the storytelling, and the sense of community – they're all there. they might be as different as pigs and shit, but together, they make up a unique part of the american experience. it's like a good ol' plate of barbecue and a cold drink on a hot summer day – they just go together, plain and simple.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on September 25, 2023, 07:14:11 AM
american football and taylor swift, they go together like pigs and shit. now, i know what some of y'all might be thinkin', "how in the world do a sport and a pop star got anythin' in common?" but trust me, there's more to it than meets the eye. first off, both american football and taylor swift are downright iconic in their own ways. they're like two big ol' stars in the american cultural universe. when you think 'bout the good ol' US of A, you can't help but think of football games and t-swizzle songs playin' in the background. let's talk 'bout the thrill of it all. when you watch a football game, it's a rollercoaster of emotions. the tension, the excitement, the heartbreak – it's all there. taylor swift's music, well, that's a rollercoaster too. you listen to her songs, and you're taken on a journey through love, heartache, and self-discovery. it's like watching a game-winning touchdown in slow motion.

speaking of touchdowns, taylor swift's got her own touchdowns in the music industry. she's got more hits than a star quarterback's got touchdowns in his career. and just like a quarterback who can read the defense and make a perfect pass, taylor knows how to connect with her audience. her lyrics speak to our souls, just like a perfectly thrown pass connects with a receiver's hands. now, let's talk 'bout the dedication. in american football, them players train like there's no tomorrow. they work hard, push their limits, and leave it all on the field. taylor swift, she's no different. she's been in the game for years, writing songs, touring, and giving her all in every performance. that level of dedication, it's something to admire. also, the storytelling, my friends. in football, you got the underdog stories, the comebacks, and the epic battles. in taylor's songs, you got tales of love, loss, and redemption. it's like they're both storytellers in their own right, just with different mediums. two massively incredible journeys

now, let's not forget the sense of community. when you watch a football game, you're part of something bigger than yourself. you're part of a fanbase, a family, rooting for your team. taylor swift's fans, they're a tight-knit bunch too. they support her through thick and thin, just like die-hard football fans support their team, win or lose. at the taylor swift show this year i saw swifties giving cops friendship bracelets, talk about healing the community! american football and taylor swift, they might seem like an unlikely pair at first glance, but when you dig a little deeper, you see the common threads. the passion, the dedication, the storytelling, and the sense of community – they're all there. they might be as different as pigs and shit, but together, they make up a unique part of the american experience. it's like a good ol' plate of barbecue and a cold drink on a hot summer day – they just go together, plain and simple.
Yeah, I like the Chiefs also.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

El Barto

Quote from: Stadler on September 25, 2023, 06:26:34 AM

A couple of peculiar calls also changed the score quite a bit. NYJ scored their TD because of a ticky-tack DPI in the endzone. I thought it was one you probably call, but it certainly wasn't anything egregious. One of our "skanked" (interesting use of the word) field goals came because of a non-call after Douglas was taken to the ground well before the ball got to him. Nothing ticky-tack at all about that. That could have been the difference between a +7 for NYJ or a -4.

TAC

pg1067

Quote from: jammindude on September 24, 2023, 04:20:30 PM
Mike Portnoy brings another win when he visits Seattle!!!

A bit of a fail of the scoreboard operator to identify him as "Mike Portnoy, Dream Theater."

Fortunately, I didn't see it either.  I just bought tickets to go see the Broncos at the Chargers on December 10.  I wonder how many folks involved in that travesty yesterday will still be around on December 10.

bosk1

8-6 on my picks this week.  I hope I finish 8-8.

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on September 25, 2023, 07:35:46 AM
Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on September 25, 2023, 07:14:11 AM

Yeah, I like the Chiefs also.

:lol

El Barto

I don't think the replay officials are giving the same deference to the on the field officials that they used to. I've seen a couple of calls overturned this year that I don't think would have been last year. In this case I don't know if Atwel stepped out of bounds or not. Mostly because the replays weren't conclusive (one showed him in, one showed him out, and one showed, I don't know what). I do know there was a referee running right behind him that thought he stayed in bounds, though. I don't think clear and convincing means the same thing it used to. 

Dream Team

Quote from: El Barto on September 25, 2023, 05:47:14 PM
I don't think the replay officials are giving the same deference to the on the field officials that they used to. I've seen a couple of calls overturned this year that I don't think would have been last year. In this case I don't know if Atwel stepped out of bounds or not. Mostly because the replays weren't conclusive (one showed him in, one showed him out, and one showed, I don't know what). I do know there was a referee running right behind him that thought he stayed in bounds, though. I don't think clear and convincing means the same thing it used to.

I agree. Can't overturn the call on that flimsy millimeter-thin evidence and it kept the friggin Bungles from being 0-3 so it really annoys me.

hefdaddy42

Breaking News:

The Dolphins just scored on the Broncos again.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Nick

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on September 27, 2023, 12:25:49 PM
Breaking News:

The Dolphins just scored on the Broncos again.

:lol

My Sunday night routine is to play Overwatch with some friends from Denver, two of which are big Broncos fan. That was an fun night for me, not so much for them!

Dream Team

Week 4 already. You look forward to the NFL season for months and then wow the weeks come and go quickly.

1. Miami - SF should be here but I need to see someone stop Miami's offense first
2. San Francisco - their next 6 games are against competitive teams, will they still be unbeaten at the bye?
3. Philadelphia - Hurts doesn't look as good as last year but this team is physically dominant
4. Kansas City - if the offense is clicking they will be a tough out as the defense seems to be better than usual
5. Buffalo - rounded back into form quickly
6. Dallas - not ready to write them off after one bad game
7. Seattle - still like 'em
8. Cleveland - defense is insane, only given up 21 first downs on the year
9. Detroit - defense seems to be vastly improved
10. Baltimore - very dangerous when healthy and Lamar isn't doing stupid shit

Trending up: Pittsburgh, Indianapolis
Trending down: Jets, Raiders

MVP: Tua

Stadler

What say us about the Raiders?   

I waffle between "give it a little time" and "SHIT SHOW".  Jimmy G. seemed like the safe choice for Josh, but I watched that last 10 minutes of the Steelers game, and if I was a Raider fan, I'd be disappointed.  I wouldn't have taken the points off the board; if the strategy was to rely on our defense - which is a sound strategy - why not give your offense another minute and a half to work with?  They clearly could have used it...

pg1067

Quote from: Stadler on September 28, 2023, 08:01:28 AM
What say us about the Raiders?   

If I'm not mistaken, other than the Browns, the Raiders have the worst record of any team over the past 20 seasons (the 20 seasons since they got pounded in SB37).  Normally, when a team I hate sucks that hard for that long, the hate lessens, but (most) Raiders fans make it easy to maintain the hate.

hefdaddy42

Stadler

Broken vacuum cleaner!!  Love it!

Thank god Josh is white*, because otherwise he would never get another chance to coach a pro team after this.

* Not racist; it's a reference to an accusation that black coaches that fail get fewer chances to redeem themselves, whereas certain white coaches seem to get rehired over and over despite the lack of any discernible success in their track record. I'm not a Josh McDaniel's fan, and I believe strongly that just because you can call an offense (or a defense) doesn't make you head coach material (see: Matt Patricia as well).  I was very much on the Jon Gruden/Derek Carr train and thought they would ultimately be successful till Gruden blew it all up. I do not think McDaniel is the savior; I think he was a PR hire for a club that is looking to get headlines, not win. 

El Barto

It used to be amusing to make fun of what a loon Antonio Brown is. For the last couple of months, though, it's been far more pathetic than funny. I fear a point will come when we all feel bad about having made fun of a guy who clearly needed help that he wasn't getting. Watching Chandler Jones unravel so quickly is concerning. I appreciate that the NFL is trying to curb brain trauma, but I think there needs to be some greater effort to help people once it's happened. No, there's no guarantee that football scrambled either of their brains, but it's not something that can be ignored. Richard Pryor told the story of how big Jim Brown helped him out when things were rock bottom. This is a different situation, but it does seem that, along those same lines, there are former players that could be taking this up. There are plenty of retired players hellbent on altruism, and looking after people who've gone off the rails seems like a niche that needs filling. It's certainly in the interest of both the NFL and the NFLPA. I hope they decide to become more active in it sooner rather than later.

King Postwhore

El Barto. Spot on. The NFL & NFLPA should have better outreach programs, and even be the aggressor to help with mental health of the players.

DragonAttack

^
Ever since  Antonio Brown suffered that horrible illegal head shot from Vontaze Burfict of the Bengals in that monsoon of a playoff game years ago, Brown has not been the same. And then there's been other head shots since. 

Sadly, testing during the immediate months following never takes place for these individuals.
Quote from: frogprog on January 05, 2023, 05:45:48 PM...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen discography thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!
QUEEN Discography  [url="https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.0"]https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.0[/url]

Nick

Looking like there may only be one undefeated team left at the end of this week. :D

And LOL Broncos. It's one thing to get rolled by Miami's offense, but if they continue losing big to the imploding Bears to follow it up they're in a terrible place. They'll have picked the wrong coach and spent draft capital to do so.

Nick

Quote from: Nick on October 01, 2023, 11:36:02 AM
Looking like there may only be one undefeated team left at the end of this week. :D

Looking like only one team will have 4 regulation wins at the end of the week. :p

TAC

I hope Zappe is warming up. What a disaster Mac is today.

A shame to lose Gonzalez. He was off to a great start today.

King Postwhore

Oof.

Also, Zappe is shit man. This team has too many issues offensively besides the QB.