News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers

Started by KevShmev, March 07, 2023, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Barto

Quote from: cramx3 on September 21, 2023, 07:24:56 AM
Hoping the Giants can keep that momentum going tonight, but really doubt it.  They spent the week in Arizona to stay out west on the short week.  49ers just too good.  Just want the game to be competitive and not a 40-0 type of game.
Without Barkley to keep SF honest it's going to be a long game.

Nick

Quote from: El Barto on September 21, 2023, 07:41:41 AM
Quote from: cramx3 on September 21, 2023, 07:24:56 AM
Hoping the Giants can keep that momentum going tonight, but really doubt it.  They spent the week in Arizona to stay out west on the short week.  49ers just too good.  Just want the game to be competitive and not a 40-0 type of game.
Without Barkley to keep SF honest it's going to be a long game.

It's the first Niners game of the season I'll be able to watch, I'm fine with a 40 point spread. :D

bosk1

Quote from: Dream Team on September 21, 2023, 07:08:06 AM
Updated after Week 2.

1. Cowboys - if their D is really this dominant they will be tough to beat. Dak has cut down on the mistakes
2. Niners - right there with Dallas
3. Dolphins - scary offense
4. Eagles - Hurts not playing as well as last year
5. Jaguars - were terrible in the red zone last week but moved the ball well
6. Bills - a powerhouse if Allen can cut down on the dumb mistakes
7. Lions - see how they do after some injuries last week
8. Chiefs - one of the young receivers needs to step up
9. Seahawks - very well-rounded team
10. Rams - hung in well against SF

Ascending: Falcons, Bucs, Commanders (need to see more before I buy the 2-0 starts)
Descending: Browns, Jets, Panthers

MVP: Tua, Micah Parsons

I couldn't even begin to do a list yet.  I can give a dozen reasons why the 49ers are easily #1 because I pay close enough attention.  But for #2-32, it's just far too early in the season.  Not enough data.

cramx3

Just saw this stat:

Daniel Jones is 1-11 in primtetime games, 0-3 on Thursday night, and 16 interceptions in those games  :lol yeah 40-0 seems likely

Nick

Quote from: bosk1 on September 21, 2023, 08:18:15 AM
Updated after Week 2.

1. Cowboys - if their D is really this dominant they will be tough to beat. Dak has cut down on the mistakes

Ascending: Falcons, Bucs, Commanders (need to see more before I buy the 2-0 starts)

I couldn't even begin to do a list yet.  I can give a dozen reasons why the 49ers are easily #1 because I pay close enough attention.  But for #2-32, it's just far too early in the season.  Not enough data.

As a fellow Niners fan, it's two weeks into the season, let's calm down on the bluster a bit, eh?

I would argue it's almost impossible for *any* team in the NFL to be easily #1, it's just too close and too competitive. And there is a non-zero chance the Niners lose tonight to the Giants.

bosk1

Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2023, 08:46:37 AM
Updated after Week 2.

As a fellow Niners fan, it's two weeks into the season, let's calm down on the bluster a bit, eh?

I would argue it's almost impossible for *any* team in the NFL to be easily #1, it's just too close and too competitive. And there is a non-zero chance the Niners lose tonight to the Giants.

???  What a strange thing to say.  It isn't "bluster" when it's the majority view based on what we've actually seen from this roster so far and the strength of this roster.  Yeah, it's two weeks into the season.  But there's a pretty clear #1 in power rankings right now.  It would be bluster to say they are a lock for the Super Bowl this early, but not at all for them being at the top of week 2 power rankings.

Skeever

Jets really need to beat the Patriots this week to make a statement that they are still as feisty as everyone imagined them to be. I do not think that a Jets team has beat a Patriots team in quite a long time.

That said I suspect that BB will make an absolute fool out of Zach Wilson, as he has done pretty regularly. Holding out hope though that may be two weeks with the starters was enough to right the ship and we'll get at least mediocre play on offense.

El Barto

Quote from: bosk1 on September 21, 2023, 09:23:51 AM
Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2023, 08:46:37 AM
Updated after Week 2.

???  What a strange thing to say.  It isn't "bluster" when it's the majority view based on what we've actually seen from this roster so far and the strength of this roster.  Yeah, it's two weeks into the season.  But there's a pretty clear #1 in power rankings right now.  It would be bluster to say they are a lock for the Super Bowl this early, but not at all for them being at the top of week 2 power rankings.
You yourself say you've seen a ton of the Niners, but there's not enough data to judge the other 31 teams. I'd say that makes a fair analysis of whether or not a couple of the others could compete for the top spot problematic. Dallas is a very valid choice for that spot. I don't know which is the better team, but to suggest that one necessarily is doesn't really work.

El Barto

Quote from: Skeever on September 21, 2023, 09:31:35 AM
Jets really need to beat the Patriots this week to make a statement that they are still as feisty as everyone imagined them to be. I do not think that a Jets team has beat a Patriots team in quite a long time.

That said I suspect that BB will make an absolute fool out of Zach Wilson, as he has done pretty regularly. Holding out hope though that may be two weeks with the starters was enough to right the ship and we'll get at least mediocre play on offense.
Patriots need it more, and I suspect they'll get it. Aside from making Zach Wilson look like a clown, it looks like they'll be starting their projected O-line for the first time, and that should open up the run game.

bosk1

Well, the post speaks for itself.  There's nothing controversial about it, and hotter takes are posted regularly, so if folks are going to apply such little critical thinking as to somehow elevate a statement like that to being even remotely controversial, I'm not sure what more I can say. 

bosk1

Picks this week:

Giants@49ers:  While reasonable minds might differ about exactly where the 49ers rank, they should easily dominate this game.
Titans@Browns:  I'm still impressed enough by Cleveland's week 1 win to give them the edge here.
Falcons@Lions:  I think the Lions are going to have ebbs and flows all season, but they showed some good things so far, and I think the Falcons' record thus far is better than they actually are.
Saints@Packers:  The Saints might not be as good as their record either, and this one might be close, but I think they take it.
Broncos@Dolphins:  I'm not rooting against Miami in most games until given a reason to.
Chargers@Vikings:  This could go either way, so I give the edge to the home team. 
Pats@Jets:  No idea, but I'd like to see the Jets win.
Bills@Commanders:  Maybe the Commanders are legit, but they have to win a bit more to prove it.
Texans@Jags:  I think the Jags get back on track.
Colts@Ravens:  Admittedly, I haven't seen/heard anything about the Colts this year, but the Ravens appear to be figuring things out well enough to win a good amount of games.
Panthers@Seahawks:  Hard to imagine a Pete Carroll-led team losing to the Panthers right now.
Bears@Chiefs:  Yeah.
Cowboys@Cardinals:  Cowboys should win this in their sleep, although I don't underestimate their ability to choke away  any given game.
Steelers@Raiders:  This is hard to call; could go the other way and I wouldn't be surprised.
Eagles@Bucs:  I don't think the Bucs are legit, and despite looking like they are starting slow, I think the Eagle have enough to win this week.
Rams@Bengals:  This was a tough one to call too.  Having seen the Rams last week, they are definitely better than people thought they would be.  And the Bengals are playing worse than people thought they would.  My pick is just based off of that.  But some injuries on the Rams coupled with how beat up they were after last week (anyone else take note of the records of teams the week immediately following playing the 49ers last year?  I believe it was 1/15) could turn this the other way. 

El Barto

How does it not matter that there's a penalty on the play when you dock somebody a timeout for an injury on the field? If the clock is stopped already there's no harm done.

bosk1

Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2023, 08:46:37 AMAnd there is a non-zero chance the Niners lose tonight to the Giants.

Well, not NOW.

hefdaddy42

Since both of my fantasy football teams are littered with 49ers, I am currently a very happy boy.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

cramx3

Quote from: El Barto on September 21, 2023, 06:28:26 PM
How does it not matter that there's a penalty on the play when you dock somebody a timeout for an injury on the field? If the clock is stopped already there's no harm done.

Game was a hard one to watch with all the penalties last night.  Hard to watch as a Giants fan regardless, but damn, take all the excitement out of the game with all those flags. Also a punch to the face and nothing? 

Nick

Quote from: bosk1 on September 21, 2023, 08:29:44 PM
Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2023, 08:46:37 AMAnd there is a non-zero chance the Niners lose tonight to the Giants.

Well, not NOW.

No, I'd say the game is somewhat over now. :p

So the question becomes, the Niners beat the Giants 30-12, while the Cowboys beat the Giants 40-0, now I know we were without Aiyuk, but given those results how how the Niners "easily better" than the Cowboys?

And for the record, we're better than the Cowboys, but it certainly isn't any night and day difference.

bosk1

I don't think you can compare just by looking at points against a common opponent.  Lots of other factors.  Bottom line is, which I stand by, is that most agree that the 49ers are the best team right now as far as power rankings are concerned, and given (1) who is on their roster, and (2) what they have done so far, that isn't something out of left field--it's a perfectly understandable position, and one I happen to agree with. 

And I think it's silly to pick apart both games to try to justify why one win is better than the other.  But if we were to do that, there are some obvious differences.  The Cowboys played the Giants, a division rival, in week 1.  They had time to study and prepare, and given that it is a divisional game, they had extra motivation and they had extra intel (they've played this guys recently, even if it wasn't this year).  The '9ers got them on a Thursday night.  Shortened rest.  Shortened prep time.  I wouldn't expect them to be as sharp as a week 1 Cowboys team playing a division rival.  Second, again, it's a Thursday game.  Thursday games are typically sloppy.  You don't often see a team at its best.  Third, the Giants fought instead of laying down, and with 2 weeks to learn from week 1 mistakes, they cleaned up some things from the week 1 game.  This wasn't the same quality of opponent that the Cowboys played.  Fourth, the Cowboys got 14 of their points from a defensive score and a blocked kick that turned into a scoop and score.  I'm not knocking the defensive and special teams effort.  But the scoring probability on those types of plays is low, and usually dependent on luck.  Even if you get the blocked kick, the odds of the ball and players aligning just right on the field to enable the scoop and score is extremely low.  And fifth, you can't just take a single common opponent game in isolation to make any sweeping judgments.  Sometimes, the lesser team just has better matchups against that common opponent.  Other factors as well.  So, to try to answer your question, while I think it's fruitless to try to draw conclusions and make comparisons from this one common opponent, there are lots of reasons why any such comparison doesn't change my opinion.  I mean, putting aside the points, you could look at game stats and try to argue that the 49ers are "clearly superior" based on this common opponent game.  I can see some fans trying to argue something like:  "Most of the Cowboys' actual points were just lucky.  They put up less than 300 yards of total offense, which doesn't normally net a team 40 points.  In comparison, the '9ers put up over 400!  The Cowboys' passing game was almost nonexistent, yielding less than 150 yards and no touchdowns.  The 49ers?  Over 300 yards and 2 touchdowns."  And on and on we could go.  But ultimately, that would be just as pointless. 

cramx3

Yeah, you cant really compare teams by how they fare against the same opponent in football.  Honestly the whos better argument is kind of pointless.  Both 49ers and Cowboys look to be the teams to beat in the NFC.  Both have superbowl runs in them this year if the ball bounces their way.  Giants are kind of a mess at this point to draw conclusions. 

bosk1

^Exactly.  Eagles too, and possibly Rams. 

El Barto

Dallas has put up more points in two games than SF has in 3, and they're holding teams to [far] less points and yards. They're also plus 3 in TO differential over SF (with two more in one fewer game).

Look, I don't like either team. I've got no horse in this race. I don't know which one is better at this point. I'm just pushing back on the notion that there's a reason to consider SF an obvious number 1. They're not. One thing I will throw out is that last night was the first game I've watched from either of them, and I was pretty unimpressed with the way SF handled a weak New York team.

bosk1

Hmm, last I checked 90 is more than 70. But maybe math I s different in Texas. ???

But if you wouldn't consider last night's 30-12 blowout impressive, I don't know what to tell you.

El Barto

Quote from: bosk1 on September 22, 2023, 04:46:44 PM
Hmm, last I checked 90 is more than 70. But maybe math I s different in Texas. ???

But if you wouldn't consider last night's 30-12 blowout impressive, I don't know what to tell you.
Not any different here. I just suck at it in general. More accurately in this case, I got my numbers mixed up looking at the two schedules.

bosk1

Well, I really want to believe that it's just different down there.

King Postwhore

Everything is bigger in Texas, bosk1.  Lol
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

DragonAttack

Over $100K in mowers and utility equipment stolen from Soldier Field Wednesday

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38463411/police-investigating-100k-equipment-theft-soldier-field

A pity they didn't steal those buffugly orange helmets and jerseys.  Then again, who would want them? ;)
Quote from: frogprog on January 05, 2023, 05:45:48 PM...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen discography thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!
QUEEN Discography  [url="https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.0"]https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.0[/url]

El Barto

The Saints can fuck right off. Christ, what a bunch of losers.

mike099

The Dallas - Arizona game is entertaining.  Great looking shovel pass at the goal line to set up the TD pass by Dobbs.  Still plenty of time for Dallas to come back.

Is Miami this good or is Denver that bad?

Tennessee looked really bad at Cleveland.

jammindude

Mike Portnoy brings another win when he visits Seattle!!!

Jamesman42

Quote from: El Barto on September 24, 2023, 01:14:00 PM

What happened? I only saw the Miami and Dallas games.
\o\ lol /o/

El Barto

Quote from: Jamesman42 on September 24, 2023, 05:03:50 PM
Quote from: El Barto on September 24, 2023, 01:14:00 PM

What happened? I only saw the Miami and Dallas games.
They took a 17-0 lead into the fourth quarter and choked it away.

TAC

Holy shit do the Patriots suck. They should be embarrassed with that win. Zach Wilson fucking blows, and the Jets scored the same amount of touchdowns as the Patriots did.

One the positive side, I have no idea who that Brown dude at TE is, but he was impressive.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Dream Team

Yeah, it seems Bill O'Brien hasn't had much of an impact yet. But they've played some really tough defenses.

TAC

Quote from: Dream Team on September 24, 2023, 06:25:12 PM
Yeah, it seems Bill O'Brien hasn't had much of an impact yet. But they've played some really tough defenses.

Well, it's the NFL. All the competition is good.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Cool Chris

Congrats Dolphins for hanging a 50 point Scoragami 70-20 win on the Broncos.

TAC

If you had Denver +49... YOU LOST! :lol

I didn't see the game but how does that happen? Did the Broncos quit?