2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers

Started by KevShmev, March 07, 2023, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAC

Quote from: Kinger on September 17, 2023, 08:05:24 PM
I'm happy that their competitive.   

This has to be the softest thing you've ever posted on DTF.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

King Postwhore

Quote from: TAC on September 18, 2023, 06:01:22 AM
Quote from: Kinger on September 17, 2023, 08:05:24 PM
I'm happy that their competitive.   

This has to be the softest thing you've ever posted on DTF.

I don't like the losses but at least they are fighting back in the 4th quarters.  Last year was pathetic because of the offensive coaching staff.  They need to fix these slow offensive starts and fix theor O line. 

Not soft, a realist.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

pg1067

Quote from: TAC on September 17, 2023, 07:17:03 PM
Quote from: pg1067 on September 17, 2023, 07:16:10 PM
Yup.  I have been since the season leading up to SB12.  The first 20 years - with four SB losses - were pretty tough.

You'll have to ignore my posts from here on out.

You probably do anyway.. :lol

If the suck this year like they sucked last year, there won't be much to say.  Sadly, it looks like we're headed in that direction...along with the Patriots.

TAC

Quote from: pg1067 on September 18, 2023, 08:09:42 AM
Quote from: TAC on September 17, 2023, 07:17:03 PM
Quote from: pg1067 on September 17, 2023, 07:16:10 PM
Yup.  I have been since the season leading up to SB12.  The first 20 years - with four SB losses - were pretty tough.

You'll have to ignore my posts from here on out.

You probably do anyway.. :lol

If the suck this year like they sucked last year, there won't be much to say.  Sadly, it looks like we're headed in that direction...along with the Patriots.

I don't mind the Broncos, it's Payton I despise.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

cramx3

Quote from: El Barto on September 17, 2023, 02:02:59 PM
Biggest surprise this year so far is how inept the NYG are. Last week they were just overwhelmed by a powerful team, which we all saw coming. That doesn't make them a bad team, though. Now they're just getting demolished by a pretty mediocre AZ team. These guys don't look like they've ever played together before. They're looking like one of the worst ever at this point.

Two weeks in a row I just had to turn the game off before half time.  Was very happy to see they came back ( I did turn the game back on, when it was tied though).  I didn't expect the Giants to be "good" this year, but expected them to compete.  I don't know what was said at half time, but I got to think Daboll rallied that team up and they came out and showed who they are supposed to be.  Hopefully they carry that momentum going forward (hopefully Barkley is OK, I'm going to guess he's out for Thursday though).  Tough schedule coming up.  I just want the team to compete.  The first 6 quarters of football for them this year was beyond embarrassing.

El Barto

Quote from: cramx3 on September 18, 2023, 08:17:07 AM
Quote from: El Barto on September 17, 2023, 02:02:59 PM
Biggest surprise this year so far is how inept the NYG are. Last week they were just overwhelmed by a powerful team, which we all saw coming. That doesn't make them a bad team, though. Now they're just getting demolished by a pretty mediocre AZ team. These guys don't look like they've ever played together before. They're looking like one of the worst ever at this point.

Two weeks in a row I just had to turn the game off before half time.  Was very happy to see they came back ( I did turn the game back on, when it was tied though).  I didn't expect the Giants to be "good" this year, but expected them to compete.  I don't know what was said at half time, but I got to think Daboll rallied that team up and they came out and showed who they are supposed to be.  Hopefully they carry that momentum going forward (hopefully Barkley is OK, I'm going to guess he's out for Thursday though).  Tough schedule coming up.  I just want the team to compete.  The first 6 quarters of football for them this year was beyond embarrassing.
I really think it was confidence. Getting massacred by Dallas rattled them, and it carried over. Daniel Jones and Saquan rallied them and they took to it in a big way. It took another series or two, but the same thing happened with the D. Once they made a stop or two a switch flipped and they really took over the game. I was watching it as it was a money game, and after the first 3 and out NY put up you could tell that they were going to win the game. Jones gets a game ball for that win simply for firing up his team.

faizoff

Stadler

Quote from: El Barto on September 17, 2023, 08:25:55 PM
Close call at the end. I think the thing that was overlooked is that the official coming in from behind was pretty demonstrative that it was a first down. If it was questionable on the field then maybe you overturn that, but there wasn't enough to overturn a definitive call, which I think there was.

In any case, the Patriots honestly had no business still being in that game. They're tough about hanging around, though, and once they get their shit together they'll be a solid team. Trent Brown and Sidy Sow will definitely help, and their tackling will improve. At that point it'll simply be not letting MacCorkle beat them.

edit: Nice grab by Cole Strange. Dude took charge and barrelled forward as well as a guard can.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Mac is their problem?   They have to get their shit together on the lines, O and D, and I think they're a decent team.    They're still making a lot of mental mistakes, but that will even out as well.   I like what I'm seeing so far, I just hope that someone doesn't panic because of the record, and they let this version of the team gel a bit.

El Barto

Quote from: Stadler on September 18, 2023, 11:02:23 AM
Close call at the end. I think the thing that was overlooked is that the official coming in from behind was pretty demonstrative that it was a first down. If it was questionable on the field then maybe you overturn that, but there wasn't enough to overturn a definitive call, which I think there was.

In any case, the Patriots honestly had no business still being in that game. They're tough about hanging around, though, and once they get their shit together they'll be a solid team. Trent Brown and Sidy Sow will definitely help, and their tackling will improve. At that point it'll simply be not letting MacCorkle beat them.

edit: Nice grab by Cole Strange. Dude took charge and barrelled forward as well as a guard can.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Mac is their problem?   They have to get their shit together on the lines, O and D, and I think they're a decent team.    They're still making a lot of mental mistakes, but that will even out as well.   I like what I'm seeing so far, I just hope that someone doesn't panic because of the record, and they let this version of the team gel a bit.
Bill doesn't hit panic buttons. I'm completely of the opinion their two lines are the problem right now. I made that point last night. I'm not at all sold on Mac, though. He has moments where he looks really good, but he's inconsistent and he's made some bad decisions. Something that might be a huge problem, and I'm not sure if it's institutional or not, is that he didn't audible out of a few obviously doomed plays last night. On a couple of occasions Miami clearly knew what was coming, made no secret of the fact, and he threw right into it. They run a ton of screens, and a couple of those might well have been pick sixes because he didn't know or wasn't allowed to audible out of them. Pick by OJ howard was another play that probably shouldn't have happened. Great QBs are able to take what a D gives them and exploit it. Either Mac is incapable of that so they don't let him try, or he's afraid to try. Either choice is a bigtime problem

Seriously did he audible at all last night?

Stadler

Quote from: El Barto on September 18, 2023, 11:12:47 AM
Quote from: Stadler on September 18, 2023, 11:02:23 AM

Bill doesn't hit panic buttons. I'm completely of the opinion their two lines are the problem right now. I made that point last night. I'm not at all sold on Mac, though. He has moments where he looks really good, but he's inconsistent and he's made some bad decisions. Something that might be a huge problem, and I'm not sure if it's institutional or not, is that he didn't audible out of a few obviously doomed plays last night. On a couple of occasions Miami clearly knew what was coming, made no secret of the fact, and he threw right into it. They run a ton of screens, and a couple of those might well have been pick sixes because he didn't know or wasn't allowed to audible out of them. Pick by OJ howard was another play that probably shouldn't have happened. Great QBs are able to take what a D gives them and exploit it. Either Mac is incapable of that so they don't let him try, or he's afraid to try. Either choice is a bigtime problem

Seriously did he audible at all last night?

I thought there was one instance, either late third quarter or early fourth quarter, and I don't reference that to say you're wrong, but to say that it was so odd that it stuck out to me.  You're right; he needs to gain that confidence to make changes on the fly. 

axeman90210

Well, RIP to Nick Chubb's leg.

WilliamMunny

I'm heartbroken... totally know how Jets fan feels now :-\

Dr. DTVT

Marshawn Lattimore and Napoleon McCallum had nastier knee injuries.

Not that I want to see any player get injured, but why couldn't it have been Watson, who is a human shitburger.

El Barto

I didn't see it, but it's pretty bad when the only official comments are "it's worse than you think and we're not going to show it" and "he won't be back this year."  Mason's resorting to Napoleon McCallum as a frame of reference also tells quite a lot.

Stadler

Quote from: Dr. DTVT on September 18, 2023, 06:44:53 PM

Not that I want to see any player get injured, but why couldn't it have been Watson, who is a human shitburger.

I used to be a fan; there was a time when I was deeply hoping that he could come to the Patriots; I would have loved - at the time - to see what Bill and Josh would have done with him.    But watching him twice now this year, he isn't worth it, and I'm not even talking about the off-the-field nonsense.   The two face mask penalties last night, some of the things you could hear him say (lip reading is a skill!)... f- that dude.  I picked Cleveland in our league, and it hurt me there that Pitt won, but it wasn't halfway through the second quarter and I was actively rooting for Pittsburgh to pull that game out.  He's at the doorstep to Cam Newton (one of my three least favorite players in any sport, ever) territory for me.

WilliamMunny

Quote from: Dr. DTVT on September 18, 2023, 06:44:53 PM

Fair enough, but me being the long-suffering Browns fan that I am, I can't help but feel like there was a symbolic quality to last night's game.

I mean, we opened with a pick-6, we lost our best player on offense, and we somehow managed to pry defeat from the jaws of victory.

New year, same old Browns.

But...what bums me out the most, is that it was the first (and probably last time this year) that I got to sit down with my 15-year-old to watch the game. Me and the kid settled on the couch at 7:30, and he was more engaged than he has been in months. An hour later, he was done and off to his room.

The Browns are under no obligation to win on my behalf, but seriously, guys!

One final anecdote and then I promise I'm done:

When my son was born a couple of years ago, the doctor had the Browns game on in the deliver.

I shit you not, the second my son appeared in this world, the browns literally coughed up the game (against the Steelers!!!). My little guy turned, looked at the television, and then began to cry his three-second-old little heart out.

Cosmic coincidence? Perhaps. But, I'm starting to feel like the sports gods have a personal bone to pick with me :justjen :lol

cramx3

Tough life as a Browns fan, damn  :lol

as for Chubb, I think he had the same knee injured in college?  I wonder if that's going to make things even worse for him.  Terrible to see.

WilliamMunny

Quote from: cramx3 on September 19, 2023, 07:21:19 AM
Tough life as a Browns fan, damn  :lol

as for Chubb, I think he had the same knee injured in college?  I wonder if that's going to make things even worse for him.  Terrible to see.

Yes, it was the same knee and a similar injury.

I 'fear' that his career will be over...or, at the very least, he will never be the same.  :eek

hefdaddy42

Every time I get down about the Panthers, I remember that at least they aren't the Jets or Browns, and then I feel better.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

WilliamMunny

:lol
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on September 19, 2023, 07:30:06 AM
Every time I get down about the Panthers, I remember that at least they aren't the Jets or Browns, and then I feel better.

:(

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

ReaperKK

I won't imbed the image here but my buddy posted a screenshot of the two knee injuries and I can't believe he recovered to play from the 2015 injury.

https://imgur.com/a/zMn9VcX

bosk1

Stadler

Man.  I saw the play in real time and for the life of me I didn't see that.  Brutal.

hefdaddy42

I will not be clicking on that.

King Postwhore

I saw the 2 pictures and I turned away.  Just gruesome.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Dublagent66

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on September 19, 2023, 12:08:55 PM

I've seen things more disturbing but yeah, this is right up there.  Made me think of what Johnny Utah said in the movie Point Break.  "Got my knee folded back 90 degrees in the wrong direction."
That's pretty much what happened.

Dream Team

Quick survey, there are a bunch of teams that have never won a Super Bowl that have either been good or great lately.

Bengals
Bills
Jaguars
Chargers
Lions
Vikings
Browns

Which one is most likely first to get a trophy?

pg1067

Quote from: Dream Team on September 19, 2023, 01:15:42 PM
Quick survey, there are a bunch of teams that have never won a Super Bowl that have either been good or great lately.

Bengals
Bills
Jaguars
Chargers
Lions
Vikings
Browns

I think the favorite among this group has to be the Bills, but the AFC is a frickin' gauntlet, so I could also see one of the NFC teams slip through.  Then again, 7 of the 9 undefeated teams are in the NFC.

bosk1

I really have no idea who is going to come out of the AFC this year.  Barring injury, uncharacteristic mistakes, or a fluke, the 49ers should represent the NFC, with the Eagles maybe being the team to swoop in and take it if any of those things happen.  But no idea about the AFC.

Stadler

Bengals
Bills
Jaguars
Chargers
Lions
Vikings
Browns

Of those?  The Bengals.  Three years ago I thought the Bills, but I wonder now if they've outlived their shelf life.   I'm not as convinced now of Josh Allen as I was back then.  He's seemingly not been getting better, but in fact, maybe even backsliding a bit.  I don't know if it's the abuse his body takes, or something else, but three years ago I FEARED the Bills, now I don't, even though they're still a good solid football team (that will likely win their division).

Stadler

Quote from: Dublagent66 on September 19, 2023, 01:12:47 PM
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on September 19, 2023, 12:08:55 PM

I've seen things more disturbing but yeah, this is right up there.  Made me think of what Johnny Utah said in the movie Point Break.  "Got my knee folded back 90 degrees in the wrong direction."
That's pretty much what happened.

Any Johnny Utah reference is a great Johnny Utah reference. 

Stadler

Quote from: pg1067 on September 19, 2023, 02:09:31 PM

Bengals
Bills
Jaguars
Chargers
Lions
Vikings
Browns

I think the favorite among this group has to be the Bills, but the AFC is a frickin' gauntlet, so I could also see one of the NFC teams slip through.  Then again, 7 of the 9 undefeated teams are in the NFC.

Five games.  I think you need five games to get any real sense of who's who.   The Eagles are 2-0, and haven't played like they are a 2-0 team.  The Bengals are 0-2 and while I haven't watched them yet - so maybe they DO suck - I'm not counting them out just yet.  Same with the Vikes.   Even the Pats; they aren't winning a Super Bowl this year, but I'm not writing off this season yet; they get their O and D lines in some semblance of order, they are going to be disruptive.

Dream Team

Updated after Week 2.

1. Cowboys - if their D is really this dominant they will be tough to beat. Dak has cut down on the mistakes
2. Niners - right there with Dallas
3. Dolphins - scary offense
4. Eagles - Hurts not playing as well as last year
5. Jaguars - were terrible in the red zone last week but moved the ball well
6. Bills - a powerhouse if Allen can cut down on the dumb mistakes
7. Lions - see how they do after some injuries last week
8. Chiefs - one of the young receivers needs to step up
9. Seahawks - very well-rounded team
10. Rams - hung in well against SF

Ascending: Falcons, Bucs, Commanders (need to see more before I buy the 2-0 starts)
Descending: Browns, Jets, Panthers

MVP: Tua, Micah Parsons

cramx3

Hoping the Giants can keep that momentum going tonight, but really doubt it.  They spent the week in Arizona to stay out west on the short week.  49ers just too good.  Just want the game to be competitive and not a 40-0 type of game.