2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers

Started by KevShmev, March 07, 2023, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool Chris

The Drew Lock era in Seattle has begun!

Edit... disregard.

I see however it is still the era of Jamal Adams being worthless.

Stadler

HAHA! I watch the Peyton/Eli broadcast on Mondays (I like Troy and Joe too; it's a shame I can't turn off Jim Nantz and Tony Romo for the Mannings) and at one point in the third quarter they showed this huge fat Giants fan looking all disgusted at his team and Peyton says "Well, it's pretty clear that Taylor Swift isn't at THIS game."   I thought that was hilarious.

Fucking Giants, man.  They could have made that a game.  Daniel Jones seemed to wait until just the worst possible moment then hand the ball over to the 'Hawks.  Hell one of those INTs looked almost as bad as the one Mahomes threw the night before.  The difference of course, is that the Seahawks converted, with the help of the (lack of any apparent) tackling ability of the Giants' defense.

cramx3

Giants are pathetic, specifically Daniel Jones.  I've said it for years now, this guy is not a franchise QB.  He redeemed himself a bit last year for me to shut up just in time to get the fat contract.  So frustrating.  Game was very winnable without his turnovers.

El Barto

Quote from: TAC on October 02, 2023, 11:15:35 AM
Quote from: El Barto on October 02, 2023, 07:12:22 AM
And NE is going to finish 10-7 this year.

They are NOT going 9-4 the rest of the way.

Not any more. It was a very real possibility as the tough part of their schedule is mostly over, and this is traditionally where the Patriots start to gel and play better football. Now that their two best defensive players are most likely out for the year they don't have much at all to work with. If none of the Jones's can come back I don't see how they can even field a defense next week without signing somebody.

This is a problem because all of the referenda on the table for this season mostly need to be put on hold. I don't think Bill was ever in danger of losing his job, but if he were, the standards are now much lower for him. Similar with McCorkle, who's now going to have to win shootouts instead of close games, which isn't a fair test of what they want from him. If there is an upside, and there's really not, this might lower Judon's asking price enough to give him a long term deal next season. 

TAC

Quote from: El Barto on October 03, 2023, 07:21:14 AM

This is a problem because all of the referenda on the table for this season mostly need to be put on hold.

Again, for another year? What's next year's excuse gonna be. Like I said before, back in the Brady days, it was all "next man up" and "do your job" rah rah rah. Now it's "well, we got injuries."
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

El Barto

Quote from: TAC on October 03, 2023, 11:22:40 AM

This is a problem because all of the referenda on the table for this season mostly need to be put on hold.

Again, for another year? What's next year's excuse gonna be. Like I said before, back in the Brady days, it was all "next man up" and "do your job" rah rah rah. Now it's "well, we got injuries."
It's still next man up, but this one is a little odd. I don't recall them every being without their 3 starting corners before, not to mention the key cog of their D.

In any case, what's your solution? Like it or not, you're not going to hire a better coach, and GMs are traditionally a very risky crapshoot.

TAC

Quote from: El Barto on October 03, 2023, 12:04:24 PM

It's still next man up, but this one is a little odd. I don't recall them every being without their 3 starting corners before, not to mention the key cog of their D.

In any case, what's your solution? Like it or not, you're not going to hire a better coach, and GMs are traditionally a very risky crapshoot.

What's my solution?

If this were any other coach but Belichick for the last 4 yours, he likely wouldn't survive this year's 5-12 record.
Kraft doesn't seem to care honestly, so that's part of the problem. The owner isn't demanding wins. Again, he was "all about winning" in the Brady years, but going into this year, he's saying how young of a team he has...the problem is that they're one of the oldest teams. So he's full of shit. Always has been if you ask me.

You're proposing a the devil you know scenario, but how many more shitty seasons do you need to sit through before you make a change, as a fan. What's your breaking point?

At some point, the Pats are going to have to move on and hire a GM and a new coach. I'm not an expert on who's out there for those positions, but we have a GM and a coach here that has done nothing but flounder for 4 years now.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

El Barto

So it looks like your solution is for Kraft to hand the team over to Jonathan, fire Belichick, and hire whoever's available for both the HC and GM spots. That about right? Look at how many times that's happened and who many times it actually works out well.

And keep in mind that you don't just hire a GM for a year or two to see how it works out. That's how you wind up like the Browns. A GM is a long term investment, and you're stuck with his team and his cap long after you decide he might not be the right guy. Nothing will kill your franchise faster than a bad GM.

TAC

Quote from: El Barto on October 03, 2023, 01:09:15 PM
So it looks like your solution is for Kraft to hand the team over to Jonathan, fire Belichick, and hire whoever's available for both the HC and GM spots. That about right? Look at how many times that's happened and who many times it actually works out well.

It's not my solution, but a simple inevitability. The only question is...when?

I mean, how well is it working out now? My question to you was how many more seasons should Belichick get winning between 6-9 games? Is it simply that he gets the right to walk away when HE wants?

El Barto

Quote from: TAC on October 03, 2023, 01:12:48 PM
Quote from: El Barto on October 03, 2023, 01:09:15 PM

It's not my solution, but a simple inevitability. The only question is...when?

I mean, how well is it working out now? My question to you was how many more seasons should Belichick get winning between 6-9 games? Is it simply that he gets the right to walk away when HE wants?
For one thing Bill has a natural shelf life. I know the CW is that he's going to stick around as long a it takes to get the record, but I don't see that happening if he's only doing it 6 wins at a time. He's analytical and pragmatic. He'll walk away.

Second, the more direct answer, he gets as long as he's still the best candidate. I think there's an argument to be made that he earned the right to coach there until he doesn't want to, but that's not really the relevant point right now. If there's not a better option, and I don't think there is right now, then you don't dump him.

The wildcard in this is Jerod Mayo. My hunch is that they want to set him up with a good situation before Bill rides off, and I think Bill is the right choice for that. At least a better choice than handing Mayo and New GM Whatshisname a sinking ship letting them start from scratch. That's a tough call, though.

King Postwhore

I thought about Mayo. Right now the league it offensive oriented. The best young coaches are offensive minded. (San Fran, Miami, ect..)

I'm conflicted to a replacement down the line.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Stadler

Quote from: El Barto on October 03, 2023, 12:04:24 PM

And when Brady went down, it was "next man up" but there was a drop off.   The "next man up" is as much a leveler for those players that get a big head as it is any serious prescription for success. 

TAC

Looks like JC Jackson is coming back to the Pats.

El Barto

Quote from: TAC on October 04, 2023, 08:41:08 AM
That'll help, but losing Gonzalez for the season saddens me. He was really looking to have a standout season. The only good thing is that it's his shoulder rather than a knee or ankle, so there shouldn't be any drop-off upon his return.

TAC

Quote from: El Barto on October 04, 2023, 08:44:20 AM
Quote from: TAC on October 04, 2023, 08:41:08 AM
That'll help, but losing Gonzalez for the season saddens me. He was really looking to have a standout season. The only good thing is that it's his shoulder rather than a knee or ankle, so there shouldn't be any drop-off upon his return.

I agree. I was keying in on Gonzalez before the injury. That kid looks good.

Dream Team

1. San Francisco - the only obvious choice
2. Buffalo - quickly got back to dominating teams
3. Philadelphia - no Super Bowl hangover here
4. Dallas - great game coming up this weekend at SF
5. Kansas City - * explanation for ranking below
6. Miami - defense exposed by the Bills
7. Detroit - vastly improved defense makes them a complete team
8. Seattle - steady as she goes
9. Baltimore - number 9 based on beating Cleveland last week
10. Cleveland - looks like Watson is very slowly starting to regain form. Other candidates for this spot: Chargers, Rams, Bucs

Biggest surprise: Texans, Bucs
Biggest disappointment: Giants, Patriots

MVP: Christian McCaffrey

*as Cowherd said Tuesday in comparison to Lebron, he doesn't worry about a couple regular season stinkers. Even in one of his worst games as a starter, Mahomes still led the offense to what would have been 30 points against a great defense if he hadn't slid at the 1 yard line

Stadler

Quote from: Dream Team on October 05, 2023, 06:26:24 AM
*as Cowherd said Tuesday in comparison to Lebron, he doesn't worry about a couple regular season stinkers. Even in one of his worst games as a starter, Mahomes still led the offense to what would have been 30 points against a great defense if he hadn't slid at the 1 yard line

Why does Mahomes always get the absolute benefit of the doubt for the "what ifs" and "almosts" from you and no one else does?  If the Jets didn't get hammered by a shitty-ass call, Mahomes LOSES that game to a team that is at best in disarray.   There's no excusing that performance with "if". 

hunnus2000

Random thoughts on Jags/Bills.

Fricking sloppy game.
Fumbles everywhere!
I root for Trevor Lawrance but man, he's a turnover machine!
Does Diggs even block or is there a contract exception for that?
I thought that the Bills were the class of the NFL after last week.....oh well.
I love waking up and there's football on the Tele..... :metal

Jamesman42

Bills fans on reddit complaining about the Jags being there for two weeks and that that's somehow unfair to the precious Bills :lol
\o\ lol /o/

El Barto

Quote from: Jamesman42 on October 08, 2023, 10:56:39 AM
Bills fans on reddit complaining about the Jags being there for two weeks and that that's somehow unfair to the precious Bills :lol
In fairness, that is a very real advantage.

TAC

Quote from: El Barto on October 08, 2023, 11:01:01 AM

Nah, it's whining.

When did the Bills travel?

El Barto

Quote from: TAC on October 08, 2023, 11:08:40 AM
Quote from: El Barto on October 08, 2023, 11:01:01 AM

Nah, it's whining.

When did the Bills travel?
Maybe it is whining. I'm just suggesting that it's a distinct advantage for Jax.

Jamesman42

It's just a funny thing to whine about. Teams have consecutive home field advantage all the time. This isn't even the Jags home field.
\o\ lol /o/

El Barto

Quote from: Jamesman42 on October 08, 2023, 11:19:59 AM
It's just a funny thing to whine about. Teams have consecutive home field advantage all the time. This isn't even the Jags home field.
Actually, it is their home field, but that's not the point. Jet-lag is no joke. Every week teams travel W to E and it shows in their play. This is even further, plus you've got the weird start time (relative to stateside). If I were creating a league schedule I'd certainly make sure both teams have to travel to Europe at the same time.

TAC

Quote from: El Barto on October 08, 2023, 11:54:12 AM
Actually, it is their home field, but that's not the point. Jet-lag is no joke. Every week teams travel W to E and it shows in their play. This is even further, plus you've got the weird start time (relative to stateside). If I were creating a league schedule I'd certainly make sure both teams have to travel to Europe at the same time.

For sure, and I don't think a team staying in Europe for two weeks has happened before, no?

But still, The Bills are East Coast pretty much. If they can't adjust for 5 hours over the course of a weak, that's a pretty weak excuse.

El Barto

Quote from: TAC on October 08, 2023, 11:56:31 AM

For sure, and I don't think a team staying in Europe for two weeks has happened before, no?

But still, The Bills are East Coast pretty much. If they can't adjust for 5 hours over the course of a weak, that's a pretty weak excuse.
In the Pick'em I regularly pick against West coast teams on the basis of them traveling only 2 or 3 hours East. It really does have a profound effect. That's not to say I'd pick SF to lose to NYJ simply because of the time difference, but it's always an important detail.

TAC

Well, that makes sense, but if the Bills are supposed to be All That, then it's weak.

TAC

I found it weird earlier in the 3rd quarter that the Pats didn't go for it on 4th & 3 near the Saints' 40. Down 24-0, what's there to lose?

Jamesman42

Fair points, but it doesn't excuse the whining :lol
\o\ lol /o/

bosk1

I was thinking about that earlier this morning.  Not sure it makes the product as marketable, but to make it more fair, I was thinking maybe they do the following:  Send two teams from one division and two teams from another division all over at the same time.  For example, in a year when NFC west plays AFC west, send 49ers, Rams, Broncos, and Chiefs all at the same time and schedule games over there as follows:
Week 1:
-49ers vs. Rams
-Broncos vs. Chiefs

Week 2:
-49ers vs. Broncos
-Rams vs. Chiefs

Week 3:
-49ers vs. Chiefs
-Rams vs. Broncos

Week 4:
-Rams vs. 49ers
-Chiefs vs. Broncos

Week 5:  Bye week and travel home.

Week 6:  Resume normal league week back home.

That gives 4 weeks of games and none of the teams is disadvantaged more than another.  And if the NFL wants another 4 weeks' worth, repeat that cycle with 4 other teams for weeks 5-8 (with their byes week 9).  :dunno:

On another note:  Could the Rams possibly be more inept?  Not sure how.

TAC

I don't think the Players Association would go for being away for a full month.

lonestar

Niners are making a statement right now. Sheer domination.
Quote from: Stadler on January 20, 2022, 12:15:29 PMLonestar, speaking wise.  :)

#Stadler/Hunnus2024

bosk1

Strong game, Cowboys.  Strong game.  :lol

...but El Barto is not impressed.

El Barto

El Barto didn't even bother to watch it. Dude, you're not that simpleminded. You know what my point was.

King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

I feel like I'm missing some context here...

At any rate, the Niners basically curb stomped the Cowboys. And I don't care what the haters say, Purdy looks good!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Quote from: HOF on April 02, 2024, 07:30:16 AMDerek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not KingThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar