Author Topic: 2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers  (Read 64809 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2023 NFL Thread
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2023, 06:59:40 AM »
We were talking last night about football, and it surprised me how many people are bought into - and accepting of - the idea that the NFL is at least partially scripted.  I can't imagine the rise of betting around the game (which is staggering and a little disconcerting at the same time) if it was actually scripted.  I'm sure there are preferences that result in more income for the league, but I can't imagine with the billions that are changing hands over wagering that they would chance blowing up the whole thing over a "preference".

I'm told people actually wager on scripted WWE events. There's no limit to the insanity!  :lol

It's scary to think how many people think this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2023, 08:36:56 AM »
I know many like to poke fun at Rodgers for his darkness retreat and all his extracurricular activity, but I view it as taking all kinds of mind-altering drugs on the side, and plenty of us here do that (some more than others, haha), so I don't have any issues with that.

I'm kind of with you on this. He's a free spirit.  I get it if a team doesn't want that (I know I wouldn't) but that kind of thing always seems to me to be in the eye of the beholder.  Neil Peart is a free spirit and we celebrate him and buy his books. Aaron Rodgers is a free spirit and "he's a dick!".   Though, in some interviews, he IS a dick, so there's that.  But it's not because of his ayahuasca or whatever.  Fuck, I wish I could take a four-day darkness retreat; imagine the emails/voicemails I'd have when I return!  :(

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2023, 08:42:09 AM »
We were talking last night about football, and it surprised me how many people are bought into - and accepting of - the idea that the NFL is at least partially scripted.  I can't imagine the rise of betting around the game (which is staggering and a little disconcerting at the same time) if it was actually scripted.  I'm sure there are preferences that result in more income for the league, but I can't imagine with the billions that are changing hands over wagering that they would chance blowing up the whole thing over a "preference".

I'm told people actually wager on scripted WWE events. There's no limit to the insanity!  :lol

Hear me out here...  I can SORT of see this.  If you don't know what the outcome is - and the people you're betting with/against don't know the outcome - then it doesn't really matter if it's scripted or not.  My concern with it in football is that the dollars are SO big - Mohegan Sun in Connecticut committed to giving $1.25 BILLION with a B to the State over the next three years* - that it might tempt people - including players and referees - to, I don't know, call penalties late in the game.  Tank what seem like meaningless games late in the season.  Whatever.   

*That means they anticipate netting upwards of $12 BILLION with a B (or more) during that same period. That's insane.  ALL on sports outcomes. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2023, 08:54:13 AM »
I don't think the NFL is the WWE.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2023, 09:47:40 AM »

I'm talking about literal wrestling, not the NFL.

This Jimmy G to the Raiders thing is pretty interesting. He's a lot better than the average fan might realize, though probably not quite as good as his biggest fans think he is. But I don't see how he avoids finishing last in that division; Sean Payton will have the Broncos playing a lot better.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2023, 09:54:42 AM »
How did I miss that?! :facepalm: :lol

Though, I have heard so many people thinking the NFL is scripted.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2023, 10:17:52 AM »
This Jimmy G to the Raiders thing is pretty interesting. He's a lot better than the average fan might realize, though probably not quite as good as his biggest fans think he is. But I don't see how he avoids finishing last in that division; Sean Payton will have the Broncos playing a lot better.

I think most know his worth.  Depending on what criteria you use, he is easily top 10 in the league, and possibly as high as top 3.  But hard to say how that will translate into how well they do in the division.  There's a lot more going on with that team than just the QB position.  And it's hard to say how the other 3 teams will perform.  I would say the Raiders should at least be competitive, regardless of whether they are first, last, or somewhere in between.  But we'll see. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2023, 10:38:36 AM »
Jimmy G is a winner.  His issue is staying on the field & the ability to fight through injuries.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2023, 11:33:06 AM »
Jimmy G is a winner.  His issue is staying on the field & the ability to fight through injuries.
And untimely turnovers.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2023, 11:40:32 AM »
He was also in a perfect system with Shanahan where he wasn't asked to carry the load and had great play-action opportunities. But as Bosk said, we'll have to wait and see. But it's absolutely true his efficiency metrics are extremely impressive.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2023, 12:11:04 PM »
And untimely turnovers.

His career stats aren't that bad.  The most INT's are 12 and 13.  I think it's the playoff miscues that people remember.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2023, 12:21:37 PM »
And untimely turnovers.

His career stats aren't that bad.  The most INT's are 12 and 13.  I think it's the playoff miscues that people remember.

Which is odd, because his numbers in that regard are on par with and, in many cases, better than most.  Better than, for example, Mahomes.  If I had to guess, I would say all the hate aimed toward him has to be race-based.  OK, not really, but I think it's required to say that in any discussion comparing players, so I'm just trying to comply with the norm.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2023, 12:29:53 PM »
Well, I didn't mention an ungodly number of turnovers, just that they are untimely.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2023, 12:31:26 PM »
Well, I didn't mention an ungodly number of turnovers, just that they are untimely.

That is true.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2023, 12:31:38 PM »
Are turnovers ever timely?  What does that even mean?

Offline Deathless

« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2023, 12:34:52 PM »
Well Jimmy just lost one of his top targets, as Darren Waller is being traded to the Giants for a 3rd-round pick.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2023, 12:42:25 PM »

Untimely:  The Condors are leading 33-31 with 1:30 remaining and the ball on its own 40.  The Condors hand off the ball to Bob Surehands, who fumbles.  The Squids recover the ball.

Not untimely:  The Hummingbirds are beating the Mastodons 42-10 with a minute left on the clock.  The Hummingbird's punter drops the snap and the Mastodons recover.  The Mastodons score on the final play of the game to make the final score 42-17.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2023, 12:42:53 PM »

I think most know his worth.  Depending on what criteria you use, he is easily top 10 in the league, and possibly as high as top 3.  But hard to say how that will translate into how well they do in the division.  There's a lot more going on with that team than just the QB position.  And it's hard to say how the other 3 teams will perform.  I would say the Raiders should at least be competitive, regardless of whether they are first, last, or somewhere in between.  But we'll see.

I largely agree with that.  Derek Carr didn't blow all those leads last year.  I agree that the problem with the Raiders wasn't at the QB position.  I'm a fan of Carr, and a big fan of Jimmy G., but I'm not sold yet on McDaniels as a head coach.  And unless there's "head case" in there somewhere that I don't know about, the Giants just scored a BIG pick-up there. That Jones signing might not suck after all.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2023, 12:45:00 PM »

Untimely:  The Condors are leading 33-31 with 1:30 remaining and the ball on its own 40.  The Condors hand off the ball to Bob Surehands, who fumbles.  The Squids recover the ball.

Not untimely:  The Hummingbirds are beating the Mastodons 42-10 with a minute left on the clock.  The Hummingbird's punter drops the snap and the Mastodons recover.  The Mastodons score on the final play of the game to make the final score 42-17.

Except, I had the under -55 on the Hummingbirds/Mastodons game.  Fuckers! 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2023, 12:48:37 PM »

Exactly.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2023, 01:13:48 PM »

Exactly.

Yeah, and I don't think those types of examples really have anything to do with the present conversation.  That's such an extreme example that it doesn't really impact the fact that the vast majority of turnovers matter, and "timely" vs. "untimely" turnovers isn't a thing.  But anyway, if we are comparing starting QBs (which we are), the Hummingbirds probably don't have their starting QB in at 42-7 with a minute left on the clock (even aside from the fact that you threw a punter into the mix for some reason).  Not really seeing the "timely" vs. "untimely" thing being a factor when comparing Garoppolo's turnovers to other starting QBs. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2023, 01:31:19 PM »

The question is what is worse: untimely turnovers or running out of the back of the end zone for a safety?  :lol :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2023, 01:54:02 PM »

Exactly.

Yeah, and I don't think those types of examples really have anything to do with the present conversation.  That's such an extreme example that it doesn't really impact the fact that the vast majority of turnovers matter, and "timely" vs. "untimely" turnovers isn't a thing.  But anyway, if we are comparing starting QBs (which we are), the Hummingbirds probably don't have their starting QB in at 42-7 with a minute left on the clock (even aside from the fact that you threw a punter into the mix for some reason).  Not really seeing the "timely" vs. "untimely" thing being a factor when comparing Garoppolo's turnovers to other starting QBs.
OK

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2023, 08:19:29 AM »
My Jets are headed down a path that will lead them nowhere. Aaron Rodgers is a nutcase. He's 39, nicked up a lot, and from what Packers fans tell me, except for a few people that are his friends, a locker room cancer.

They should have offered Carr a contract. At this point, whatever they give up for Rodgers is too much. Yes, if he stays healthy, the Jets may make the playoffs and win A game, but they aren't winning the Super Bowl. They could have made the playoffs this upcoming season without Rodgers and someone serviceable behind center....and retained all their youth. We all know the Packers aren't cutting Rodgers loose without talent and a first rounder. And that is way too much for a 39 year old QB.

The parallels to signing Favre are way too obvious. Yes, it led to a fascinating half season before he blew out his arm, and then it crumbled. Then he went to the Vikings and had an MVP caliber season (not sure, but he might have won it). But regardless, the move for Rodgers is short term thinking. Very short-sighted short term thinking from a GM worried about his job. So he tries to make  a splash and will put said team on a bad path.

To do, Joe Douglas has been good for the Jets. Obviously we have a top young CB, WR, and RB. The lines are being built well. Dynamic defense. They missed on Wilson. So cut him and try again, or get a younger FA. Or at least one that will settle and lead a locker room. Not divide or alienate it.

I hope I'm wrong, but if the Jets trade for Rodgers, it's not going to end well.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2023, 08:27:12 AM »
The Jets should tell Rodgers to go f himself, but they are so desperate to win that they are the needy franchise kowtowing to his asks.  This whole "I will agree to the trade if you sign this guy, that guy and that other guy" bull shit is just ridiculous.  So basically, Rodgers wants the receiving corps he had in GB, the one most agree wasn't good enough for a QB of his stature.  :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2023, 09:02:47 AM »
The Jets should tell Rodgers to go f himself,

This. He's the Kyrie of football.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2023, 09:11:10 AM »
A thought occurred to me:  why would Robert Salah want any of that on his team?  He's a smart enough guy, he's a culture guy, he's a detail guy... I can't imagine he'd be willing to undermine all he's worked for to have a guy in who might form his own clicks, and who might be a renegade.  Isn't that really the fundamental problem with Zack Wilson?  Wasn't Wilson's biggest crime that he threw half his team under the bus in a press conference? Hasn't he seen any of Aaron Rodgers' press conferences?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2023, 11:10:36 AM »

I don't know.  That's going a bit far.

I would much rather have Rodgers on my football team than Kyrie on by basketball team.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2023, 11:39:23 AM »

I would much rather have Rodgers on my football team than Kyrie on by basketball team.

Both won 1 championship. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2023, 12:16:02 PM »
Yeah, but even with all of his silliness, Rodgers will still go down as one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the league.

Irving won't go down as the best anything in his sport except for maybe best jackass of his generation, and even then, he will have to fight Draymond Green for that distinction (and you know Green will punch first, just ask Jordan Poole).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2023, 12:30:56 PM »

Both won 1 championship.
...and?

Kyrie is a huge douchenozzle.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2023, 12:51:15 PM »
Both are. But Kyrie is the king of douches.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2023, 02:24:45 PM »
A thought occurred to me:  why would Robert Salah want any of that on his team?  He's a smart enough guy, he's a culture guy, he's a detail guy... I can't imagine he'd be willing to undermine all he's worked for to have a guy in who might form his own clicks, and who might be a renegade.  Isn't that really the fundamental problem with Zack Wilson?  Wasn't Wilson's biggest crime that he threw half his team under the bus in a press conference? Hasn't he seen any of Aaron Rodgers' press conferences?

I'm not sure what the power structure is like in that organization, but I'm sure management and the owners (like many) will be desperate to get a guy like Rodgers. Especially if they feel they are close to the next level or think he can help them compete for a championship. It's going to be really tough in that division though, the Bills are still going to be strong and the Dolphins have improved quite a bit already (though Tua is a big question mark).

Offline Skeever

« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2023, 02:52:50 PM »
The Jets should tell Rodgers to go f himself, but they are so desperate to win that they are the needy franchise kowtowing to his asks.  This whole "I will agree to the trade if you sign this guy, that guy and that other guy" bull shit is just ridiculous.  So basically, Rodgers wants the receiving corps he had in GB, the one most agree wasn't good enough for a QB of his stature.  :lol :lol

They signed one guy from the Packers right? Come on. At least look into the takes you're throwing out there for a second before you blindly parrot what some sportscaster has said.

And at this point, it would be telling the Packers to go f themselves. Obviously the two teams had an understanding, and the Packers are negotiating in bad faith since the Jets have no other options.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2023, 05:25:08 PM »
Most of these latest player moves, especially JuJu, show that most players actually chase money not rings, even if they already have millions. I wonder what percentage actually value winning above money?