Author Topic: 2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers  (Read 64778 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2023 NFL Thread
« Reply #350 on: May 16, 2023, 04:26:54 PM »
I’m finding it pretty much impossible to come up with projected standings for the AFC East and AFC Central. Two extremely balanced divisions (assuming Watson regains his form). Gotta be a nightmare for gamblers.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #351 on: May 16, 2023, 04:34:20 PM »
I’m finding it pretty much impossible to come up with projected standings for the AFC East and AFC Central. Two extremely balanced divisions (assuming Watson regains his form). Gotta be a nightmare for gamblers.

Let me get you started.

4. Patriots
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #352 on: May 19, 2023, 01:48:26 PM »
RIP Jim Brown, the best of the best, age 87
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #353 on: May 19, 2023, 03:12:15 PM »
RIP indeed. My first 'exposure' to Jim Brown was this funny but also sad and moving Richard Pryor skit :

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZS95ZWq1Ais

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #354 on: May 20, 2023, 12:43:30 PM »

Let me get you started.

4. Patriots

I can’t fall into the trap of writing off the Patriots. I won’t believe they’re in last place until the end of Week 18.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #355 on: May 21, 2023, 11:47:18 AM »

Let me get you started.

4. Patriots

I can’t fall into the trap of writing off the Patriots. I won’t believe they’re in last place until the end of Week 18.
And you won't see it then, either. Their D will simply be too strong to allow that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #356 on: May 25, 2023, 06:21:28 AM »
Speaking of the Pats, seems they're in trouble again for rules violations. Also the sun came up today.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #357 on: May 25, 2023, 06:55:04 AM »
Speaking of the Pats, seems they're in trouble again for rules violations. Also the sun came up today.

It's all Brady's fault.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #358 on: May 25, 2023, 09:38:06 AM »

It's all Brady's fault.

I assumed it was LeBron's fault.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #359 on: May 25, 2023, 10:08:17 AM »
My hunch is that this is an NFLPA thing, and the league is just the enforcer. This happened to about 5 teams last year, and it basically came down to what they're allowed to do on certain days.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #360 on: May 25, 2023, 12:20:58 PM »
As I suspected the NFLPA filed the complaint because players might have been at the facility more than four hours. Despite the fact that it was entirely voluntary.

The NFL Players Association had filed a formal complaint against the Patriots on May 4, alleging a violation of Article 21, Section 5(b) of the collective bargaining agreement that players can be at the team facility no more than four hours per day during the second phase of the voluntary offseason program.

The complaint was specific to meetings/workshops that weren't on the official schedule of the four-hour workday sent to players for May 1, May 2 and May 4.

The Patriots told the NFL that the meetings/workshops weren't mandatory, and no attendance was taken.

But the league ultimately ruled that all activity must begin and end within the constraints of the collectively bargained four-hour period.

A: It's fucked up that players can't train on their own at the facilities as much as they like. B: If a player or a coach dropped a dime on them I hope they never, ever get out of the Belichick doghouse. I don't like snitches.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #361 on: May 25, 2023, 12:43:11 PM »
It feels like A player snitched.  Or at least complained to an agent, ect...
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #362 on: May 25, 2023, 01:46:23 PM »

Zo mentioned today that it was his understanding that it was not a current player.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #363 on: May 25, 2023, 01:52:29 PM »

Zo mentioned today that it was his understanding that it was not a current player.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: May 25, 2023, 01:54:13 PM »
 :lol

Tom has the Raiders to deal with Kev. :lol

Mmmmnnn.  I wonder who then?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #365 on: May 25, 2023, 02:07:22 PM »
It seems like a weird rule for the NFL.

The time-limiting thing seems more like a rule for college football players.  This is voluntary time for people at their job.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #366 on: May 25, 2023, 02:23:38 PM »

The time-limiting thing seems more like a rule for college football players.  This is voluntary time for people at their job.
It's not the NFL. It's the NFLPA's rule.

As for who it was, I'm not sure how a former player would know the details. The times and dates were pretty specific, as opposed to "yall might oughta keepa lookout, cuz dey do that kinda stuff." If I had to take a guess the first name that would come to mind is Jack Jones.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #367 on: May 25, 2023, 02:32:55 PM »
As for who it was, I'm not sure how a former player would know the details.

I'm not sure. I believe that is what he said though. He's pretty connected so there's that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: May 25, 2023, 02:37:14 PM »

As for who it was, I'm not sure how a former player would know the details. The times and dates were pretty specific, as opposed to "yall might oughta keepa lookout, cuz dey do that kinda stuff." If I had to take a guess the first name that would come to mind is Jack Jones.

Well, I read one part of the problem was that the session - 15 minutes, voluntary - was listed (inadvertently?) on a paper with the schedule, and the NFLPA deemed that since it was formal enough to be in writing, that essentially meant it was not REALLY voluntary.   That would solve the "they wouldn't have knowledge" problem, IF they were to get hold of the paper.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #369 on: May 25, 2023, 02:57:20 PM »

Well, I read one part of the problem was that the session - 15 minutes, voluntary - was listed (inadvertently?) on a paper with the schedule, and the NFLPA deemed that since it was formal enough to be in writing, that essentially meant it was not REALLY voluntary.   That would solve the "they wouldn't have knowledge" problem, IF they were to get hold of the paper.
Getting ahold of the paper would require somebody from within, though. Unless the person is bitter enough to be digging around the dumpsters at Foxboro in the middle of the night.

Maybe it is Brady.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: May 25, 2023, 02:58:20 PM »
He gets rid of the information.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #371 on: May 26, 2023, 08:34:57 AM »

I got that.  I didn't mean a rule perpetrated by the NFL, necessarily.  I meant a weird rule to have in the NFL.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: May 26, 2023, 08:48:42 AM »
It also shows you that there is no buy in for a player to rat out for a 15 to 20 minute meeting.  Maybe it's this era of athletes but to cry over a short meeting shows there is still a divide from the players to the coaches on the Pats.  Never would have heard this 10 years ago.  Seems that Brady might have been the bridge between players and coaches until he went sour himself towards the end. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: May 26, 2023, 09:41:41 AM »
It also shows you that there is no buy in for a player to rat out for a 15 to 20 minute meeting.  Maybe it's this era of athletes but to cry over a short meeting shows there is still a divide from the players to the coaches on the Pats.  Never would have heard this 10 years ago.  Seems that Brady might have been the bridge between players and coaches until he went sour himself towards the end.

Agreed on that divide.  If you're going to invoke the union for a fifteen minute meeting, then I would question your dedication to the overall cause.

I don't necessarily think this is an indicator of the Patriots system, though.  I think it's more indicative of this generation of player, and even more likely, indicative of other, outsider antipathy to the Patriots. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #374 on: May 26, 2023, 07:26:09 PM »
Apparently not a snitch. Rather an NFLPA observer. And the details are rather silly. The issue was that the Patriots listed the meeting on their schedule, and the NFLPA took that to mean that the meeting was mandatory rather than voluntary. Had the meeting occurred without being on the schedule it, presumably, wouldn't have been an issue.

Also, if people still need to look somewhere for a snitch, it was a special teams meeting. Start there.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: May 26, 2023, 07:39:37 PM »
Oh we have been hearing the story all day here of course EB. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #376 on: June 20, 2023, 12:52:58 PM »
A few random Patriots thoughts during the lull.

Jack Jones is too stupid to live. He was absolutely worth the gamble, but he's now landed NE in a tough spot. Best case scenario is that he winds up on the commissioner's exempt list. You really don't want to cut the guy, but you don't want to pay him and have him take up a roster space. At the same time the commissioner might avoid doing that just to be a dick; it is New England, after all. Honestly, the only reason I'd be opposed to cutting him, and after Hernandez they might, is that I'd hate for being cut to be the motivation he needs to get his act together and see him sign with Buffalo. Dude's got skills.

Speaking of head cases, I'd probably prefer Hopkins sign elsewhere. One of NE's biggest problems going forward is maintaining the culture they built up. Unless he's a total buy-in, and I don't see that happening, he's not worth it in my opinion. They avoided having privileged players for this long (just ask BBB) and they shouldn't start now. And in truth, I don't think the receiver corps is the big problem people make it out to be. It's not pretty, but I'm not sure who you cut to make room for DH.

St. Rogers probably didn't want the story about him refusing to play for NE to get out. This is the sort of motivational thing that's likely to make things pretty rough for him when they play. With or without Jack Jones NE will sport a top 3 D this year in damn near every category, and NYJ's O-line still sucks. I didn't think he was going to enjoy playing them twice a year before, and now they'll be playing mad. I always thought he was an arrogant prick, and now I'm thinking he might be a stupid one, too.

E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: June 20, 2023, 01:40:44 PM »
El Barto, did you read about Jones Tweet about Ja Morant?  The Irony in the Tweet is hilarious. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #378 on: June 20, 2023, 01:47:13 PM »
El Barto, did you read about Jones Tweet about Ja Morant?  The Irony in the Tweet is hilarious.
Yeah, and he was essentially correct. As a rule I don't come down on people too hard for taking guns into the airport. People forget all kinds of stuff all the time. I literally pat myself down before entering an airport. Every time. For this reason. In his case, though, the guns were illegal and it was illegal for him to have them. A whole nuther level of understanding is required in that case which he was obviously not up to. Guns are surprisingly easy to travel with. I suspect his problem was that his Glocks were not because of the mags (and his lack of a permit) so he decided to try his luck with A FUCKING XRAY MACHINE!!!  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: June 20, 2023, 01:50:09 PM »
A 0% chance too! :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: June 23, 2023, 02:02:27 PM »

Jack Jones is too stupid to live. He was absolutely worth the gamble, but he's now landed NE in a tough spot. Best case scenario is that he winds up on the commissioner's exempt list. You really don't want to cut the guy, but you don't want to pay him and have him take up a roster space. At the same time the commissioner might avoid doing that just to be a dick; it is New England, after all. Honestly, the only reason I'd be opposed to cutting him, and after Hernandez they might, is that I'd hate for being cut to be the motivation he needs to get his act together and see him sign with Buffalo. Dude's got skills.

Speaking of head cases, I'd probably prefer Hopkins sign elsewhere. One of NE's biggest problems going forward is maintaining the culture they built up. Unless he's a total buy-in, and I don't see that happening, he's not worth it in my opinion. They avoided having privileged players for this long (just ask BBB) and they shouldn't start now. And in truth, I don't think the receiver corps is the big problem people make it out to be. It's not pretty, but I'm not sure who you cut to make room for DH.

St. Rogers probably didn't want the story about him refusing to play for NE to get out. This is the sort of motivational thing that's likely to make things pretty rough for him when they play. With or without Jack Jones NE will sport a top 3 D this year in damn near every category, and NYJ's O-line still sucks. I didn't think he was going to enjoy playing them twice a year before, and now they'll be playing mad. I always thought he was an arrogant prick, and now I'm thinking he might be a stupid one, too.

I didn't hear that story. Interesting. He say why (I mean, I can guess, I'm wondering what he said)?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #381 on: June 23, 2023, 02:57:16 PM »

I didn't hear that story. Interesting. He say why (I mean, I can guess, I'm wondering what he said)?
The story was that the Patriots made a play for him, and he suggested he'd retire rather than playing for NE. Now it's starting to look like it might be bullshit. The implication, at least as I saw it, was that he just wanted to take it easy and wasn't interested in "the Patriot way." McAfee has suggested it's not true and AR has immeasurable respect for BB.

Even if it turns out to be true, my first sentence remains dead on. It'll still be on a bulletin board at Foxboro to insight some animosity towards him. As for my last statement, I guess I'll go back to just thinking him an arrogant prick, and now a slightly unlucky one, at that. :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #382 on: June 23, 2023, 08:44:14 PM »
Agreed regarding Hopkins. How often has a diva wideout ever joined a team and help lead them to a Super Bowl? Anyone since Randy Moss in ‘07? They’re a huge pain to deal with.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: June 26, 2023, 07:31:13 AM »

The story was that the Patriots made a play for him, and he suggested he'd retire rather than playing for NE. Now it's starting to look like it might be bullshit. The implication, at least as I saw it, was that he just wanted to take it easy and wasn't interested in "the Patriot way." McAfee has suggested it's not true and AR has immeasurable respect for BB.

Even if it turns out to be true, my first sentence remains dead on. It'll still be on a bulletin board at Foxboro to insight some animosity towards him. As for my last statement, I guess I'll go back to just thinking him an arrogant prick, and now a slightly unlucky one, at that. :lol

Haha, I'm with you; true or not, it might well be that sign they slap on the tunnel out to the field.  :) :) :) :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #384 on: July 07, 2023, 06:22:41 AM »
Since retiring, TB12 reportedly lost a ton of money in the FTX deal and has been hanging out with Kim KaTrashian.  Talk about hitting rock bottom. :lol :lol :lol :lol