Author Topic: 2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers  (Read 65817 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2023 NFL Thread
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2023, 04:05:09 PM »
Seems like every year about 50% of the playoff teams change. It’s extremely difficult to predict but I’m thinking the AFC may have less turnover than usual. I think the Ravens miss and maybe the Patriots or Steelers replace them.

NFC, I think the Giants, Bucs, Seahawks are replaced by Saints, Rams, Lions. Or possibly Packers if Rodgers stays.  After free agency and the draft I’ll probably revise these predictions.

Online faizoff

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2023, 05:23:07 PM »
Bucs are going to be really bad this season. They're going to lose many star and key players due to their cap situation.

I don't begrudge management for doing what they did to kick the can down the road. They got a great three years being competitive and a superbowl out of it. Bowles will probably be given another couple of years and when they truly hit rock bottom, that's when he'll get fired is my guess.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2023, 06:34:59 PM »
Bucs are going to be really bad this season. They're going to lose many star and key players due to their cap situation.

I don't begrudge management for doing what they did to kick the can down the road. They got a great three years being competitive and a superbowl out of it. Bowles will probably be given another couple of years and when they truly hit rock bottom, that's when he'll get fired is my guess.
I think it's the nature of the game now, and I think it's a damn shame. A lot of teams are becoming cyclical, building up for a few years, selling the farm for one final push at it all, falling apart, and then finally collapsing ahead of a major rebuild. I suppose if you want 3 good years and a shot at a trophy for every 12 years it makes sense. The situation TB is in is incredibly bad. I was wondering the other day if they might be the first team to really embrace tanking given how much they're having to unload. They should be selling players for draft picks right now. Get ready for a massive rebuild over the next few years.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2023, 01:50:14 AM »
Pretty hard to create dynasties. I think a lot of teams would be very happy to have a super bowl contending team every 5-10 years and build/destroy the team to accomplish that.  I may be able to argue its actually a benefit to the sport to have teams cycle like that. It certainly gets tiring when the same teams contend every year.  But the flip side is the amazing run when a team does become dominant like the Pat's or now the Chiefs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2023, 06:36:39 AM »
We were talking last night about football, and it surprised me how many people are bought into - and accepting of - the idea that the NFL is at least partially scripted.  I can't imagine the rise of betting around the game (which is staggering and a little disconcerting at the same time) if it was actually scripted.  I'm sure there are preferences that result in more income for the league, but I can't imagine with the billions that are changing hands over wagering that they would chance blowing up the whole thing over a "preference". 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2023, 06:45:16 AM »
We were talking last night about football, and it surprised me how many people are bought into - and accepting of - the idea that the NFL is at least partially scripted.  I can't imagine the rise of betting around the game (which is staggering and a little disconcerting at the same time) if it was actually scripted.  I'm sure there are preferences that result in more income for the league, but I can't imagine with the billions that are changing hands over wagering that they would chance blowing up the whole thing over a "preference".
People get so bent out of shape over what they perceive as terrible officiating that they make the leap to "conspiracy".  Same thing in sports as everywhere else in life.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2023, 02:16:40 PM »

I think it's the nature of the game now, and I think it's a damn shame. A lot of teams are becoming cyclical, building up for a few years, selling the farm for one final push at it all, falling apart, and then finally collapsing ahead of a major rebuild. I suppose if you want 3 good years and a shot at a trophy for every 12 years it makes sense. The situation TB is in is incredibly bad. I was wondering the other day if they might be the first team to really embrace tanking given how much they're having to unload. They should be selling players for draft picks right now. Get ready for a massive rebuild over the next few years.

They are restructuring some deals with key players so at least there is some retention. But it does look like a lot of teams are going for the success now and rebuild later model. I guess if it brings in more fans to watch and buy merch then owners will be all for it Im sure.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Deathless

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2023, 03:28:38 PM »
Ian Rapaport is reporting that the Bears are going to trade their #1 to the Panthers! Wow. The Panthers are going to draft Young or Stroud.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2023, 07:52:39 AM »
Great deal for the Bears. They got some good draft capital AND managed to get DJ Moore, who has quietly been a really good WR in football over the last few years despite never having a good QB to throw him the ball. 

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2023, 07:56:18 AM »
I think that is a win-win for both teams if Carolina selects the right guy. Obviously if they hit, there is no discussion about compensation package. The question is who do you take now because the top two (Young and Stroud) have positives and negatives; neither is a 'can't miss' prospect.

I don't think you can risk it all on Young who is probably the better QB. The size issue cannot be overlooked. Stroud can make all the throws, is accurate, has good mechanics and size. You go Stroud and let the coaching staff mold him, imo.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2023, 10:26:44 AM »
I'm increasingly of the opinion that top pick QBs in the draft aren't as much about the talent but the ability for a team to develop them. We look at guys like Darnold and figure they're busts because they flamed out. I have to think that maybe the problem wasn't him as much as it was being drafted by the NYJ. Like Wilson, Pennington, Geno Smith, Sanchez, and the list goes on. Maybe if Josh Rosen had been drafted by a real team he'd still be in the league. In this case I known nothing about [OC] Thomas Brown, but Frank Reich should be able to put whoever they draft in a position to do well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• PR permission
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2023, 10:42:40 AM »
I'm increasingly of the opinion that top pick QBs in the draft aren't as much about the talent but the ability for a team to develop them. We look at guys like Darnold and figure they're busts because they flamed out. I have to think that maybe the problem wasn't him as much as it was being drafted by the NYJ. Like Wilson, Pennington, Geno Smith, Sanchez, and the list goes on. Maybe if Josh Rosen had been drafted by a real team he'd still be in the league. In this case I known nothing about [OC] Thomas Brown, but Frank Reich should be able to put whoever they draft in a position to do well.

Frank Reich is supposed to be the QB whisperer as you alluded to, and he is going to call the plays. Then, they have Jim Caldwell and Josh McCown. There is a ton of offensive experience in that building from proven coaches to former players. Everything would appear to be in place for a young QB to succeed in terms of system and coaches.

They'll need to go and get a few receiving options in free agency and then they're good to go. Just need to pick the right guy who wants to absorb it all.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2023, 10:45:04 AM »
I dunno, there are guys that flat out can't cut it in the league. Jeff George, Ryan Leaf come to mind and like Zach Wilson, I don't think they are coachable. That's the biggest knock on some of these guys but yeah, some of them get drafted into a bad organization.

• PR permission
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2023, 10:47:32 AM »
I dunno, there are guys that flat out can't cut it in the league. Jeff George, Ryan Leaf come to mind and like Zach Wilson, I don't think they are coachable. That's the biggest knock on some of these guys but yeah, some of them get drafted into a bad organization.

Zach Wilson never should have started his 1st year. Based on the competition he faced in college, I don't see how you could throw him into the fire and expect great results. I think there is absolutely an element of user-error on the part of the Jets here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2023, 11:29:10 AM »

Jeff George didn't live up to the hype, but he had a few really good years, and was better than Leaf ever was and what Wilson has shown, so I am not sure putting him in the same sentence with those clowns is fair. 

I agree with Barto.  Never underestimate the importance of coaching and player development.  Look at Tua.  He went from looking like a decent starter at best due to a very good one under McDaniel (concussions issues aside).  Sure, having Tyreek Hill will help any QB, but he didn't even look like the same QB he was his first few years in the league.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2023, 12:04:06 PM »
When a head coach from the defensive side, he needs a strong OC for for his young QB's development 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2023, 06:57:18 PM »

It's a combination of both.  All of these players are highly skilled and a coach is needed to make them rise above the rest, but there's still some who have all the talent, but just can't make it work in the NFL. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2023, 06:16:23 AM »

Zach Wilson never should have started his 1st year. Based on the competition he faced in college, I don't see how you could throw him into the fire and expect great results. I think there is absolutely an element of user-error on the part of the Jets here.

Regardless of which of you are right (and IMO, it's a mix of both), the Jets are culpable in either case. (And I'm not picking on the Jets; you can put any team in this mix and I think the analysis is the same).  They fail either on the front end in the drafting; they should be doing the due diligence to know - or at least reasonably believe - that this kid is or is not coachable, or the back end in the actual execution of the coaching.

I like Barto's analysis here; I think he's largely right, but I am reluctant to absolve these players from responsibility.  There are too many examples of players out-kicking their coaching coverage, and vice versa for it to be solely on the organization. And in some cases - Dallas - it's a combination.  I don't see Dak Prescott ever winning a Super Bowl (not counting latching on to a SB winner as a back up when he's 34) either with Dallas or without, and it's not like Dallas is just "one QB away" from the SB. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2023, 09:12:17 AM »
Really excited about the trade for the # 1 pick by the Panthers.  Reich will get the opportunity to groom a very talented QB, and as a bonus, we got rid of DJ Moore, whom I have never ever liked.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2023, 10:50:43 AM »
I like Barto's analysis here; I think he's largely right, but I am reluctant to absolve these players from responsibility.  There are too many examples of players out-kicking their coaching coverage, and vice versa for it to be solely on the organization. And in some cases - Dallas - it's a combination.  I don't see Dak Prescott ever winning a Super Bowl (not counting latching on to a SB winner as a back up when he's 34) either with Dallas or without, and it's not like Dallas is just "one QB away" from the SB. 

Not sure about Dak.  I really like him and would like to see him have some success somewhere outside of Dallas.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2023, 11:59:28 AM »

I do not agree with this at all.
- Pennington was good on the Jets, his career was not as good as it could have been though because he got hurt.
- Sanchez was drafted by an excellent team and overall Jets organization. They were real enough to get to the AFC Championship game twice, despite him.
- Geno was thrust into starting too soon, for sure. But his career didn't magically get better after leaving the Jets. Good for him that he's turned it around, but you can't tell me that he was bad as a young player BECAUSE of the Jets.
- Darnold, I think, is a classic bust, and yes, that Adam Gase team was bad as it gets .
- And Wilson, too, is just bad. Not sure how anyone could argue in good faith that the Robert Saleh led Jets are not a "real team".

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2023, 12:59:35 PM »
Jimmy G to the Raiders... That'll be the cause some serious barroom discussion here in the bay.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2023, 01:14:36 PM »
Wow, good for the Raiders.  Hate to see a top 10 QB leaving the '9ers, but it was inevitable.  Good that it got sorted out this early. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2023, 01:21:41 PM »

Not sure about Dak.  I really like him and would like to see him have some success somewhere outside of Dallas.

The knock on Dak this year was that he was checking out of plays. One of the reasons that Rush was successful is that he just ran the plays called in from the OC - don't over think it.

I think that Dak can deliver a Super Bowl but he needs the right people behind him which with the Cowboys history, he may never get.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2023, 02:05:50 PM »
A lot of movement so far today.

Panthers signed a pair of really solid vets (Tuttle, DT from New Orleans and S Vonn Bell from Cincinnati). Both should fit well in Evero's 3-4 defense. The Broncos also signed two OL, though I think they overpaid for McGlinchey, the OT from SF.

Speaking of SF, just crazy that they added another strong DL in Hargreaves from Philadelphia. Adding strength to strength.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2023, 03:12:49 PM »
Wow, good for the Raiders.  Hate to see a top 10 QB leaving the '9ers, but it was inevitable.  Good that it got sorted out this early.

Early buzz on my socials from Raider fan friends is not positive. They're just never happy  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2023, 03:17:56 PM »
Raiders would be smart to get a good backup QB for the 8 games Jimmy will inevitably miss.

Looks like the Jets and Packers have a deal worked out, but Rodgers is taking forever to decide if he wants to go to NY.  Of course.  :lol :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2023, 05:06:14 PM »
Raiders would be smart to get a good backup QB for the 8 games Jimmy will inevitably miss.

Looks like the Jets and Packers have a deal worked out, but Rodgers is taking forever to decide if he wants to go to NY.  Of course.  :lol :lol

It's his own fault for leaving his darkness retreat early.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2023, 05:21:16 PM »
I know many like to poke fun at Rodgers for his darkness retreat and all his extracurricular activity, but I view it as taking all kinds of mind-altering drugs on the side, and plenty of us here do that (some more than others, haha), so I don't have any issues with that. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2023, 05:23:46 PM »
It's the way he carries himself that people do not like.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2023, 05:32:58 PM »
Rodgers has always carried himself like that, though.  It's not like "arrogant dick" hasn't always oozed out of him. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2023, 05:54:26 PM »
Yeah, but that is why he's hated. Not that there isn't many ways to hate stars. Lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2023, 06:00:57 PM »
I think the marriage of Commitment to Excrement with Mr. All-He-Does-Is-Get-Injured is just perfect.   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Skeever

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2023, 05:13:16 AM »
Rodgers in the NY media is going to be insane.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2023, 06:29:20 AM »

I'm told people actually wager on scripted WWE events. There's no limit to the insanity!  :lol