News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers

Started by KevShmev, March 07, 2023, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Barto

Quote from: Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy on April 27, 2023, 03:10:10 PM
Here's my take on Brady. On the draft of Jimmy Garoppolo.  Belichick said Brady's age came into play. At that time Brady took that as a slight. Though Bill was right I think saying that in that public forum might not have been smart. (Motivational maybe?) 

Then telling the media about the air in the footballs and I quote, ""I don't know anything about this business with the deflating footballs, but that guy over there — points thumb in direction of cleft-chinned superstar quarterback — sure seems to have an opinion on the topic!"

Plus dealing with the media, his mom's cancer and then the year and one half leading to the suspension was the breaking point. Then not getting a 2 year deal but 1 year deals with  incentives after Jimmy G was traded was the end.

He's still my coach.  I just with he handled that situation better.

On the last 2 drafts he's hit so many jems.  I hope that continues tonight.
Time and time again you manage to convince me of what a whiny little bitch Brady is.  :lol

In any case, he'd tried to have Belichick replaced with O'Brien right around the time of Garoppolo. Getting rid of Jimmy G seemed to be the compromise. They weren't going to be together much longer. Would Brady and O'Brien have been your preference, since hugging it out was clearly not an option?

King Postwhore

Sure Brady was a pain. But you deal with it when you are on the run he was on. His attitude shifted when his coach didn't have his back.  I wanted them to work it out but BB never gave that the chance.

You do know that it boiled over so bad after the 2017 season after the loss to the Eagles where Brady went to the team asking for a trade and Kraft talked him out of it?

At that time, no, I didn't want BB to go but in hindsight?  Maybe.  Brady went on to win a SB and was close to going to another again.

Seems to me, BB has pissed off 2 QB's now and is now .500 since Brady left.

Once they traded Jimmy G, they should have gone all in on Brady.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

KevShmev

Or maybe Brady should have not been a little bitch boy and been a man about it. ;)

Note: I conferred with my social media team, who agreed that my above comment is an appropriate level of snark.

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

King Postwhore

El Barto

They were right to trade down, but I'd have liked more than #120 in exchange. Whole lot of good but not great players left fitting their needs. They'll still be there at 17, so I was hoping for a trade down. I just figured it'd be worth more. That said, don't be surprised if that #120 comes into play to move up again later.

edit: Oh, and don't be surprised if they trade down again, for the same reason.  :lol

King Postwhore

They've had some good picks in the 4th round.

Hell, they may trade down again!

El Barto

Quote from: Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy on April 27, 2023, 06:52:55 PM
They've had some good picks in the 4th round.

Hell, they may trade down again!
I think all of the guys they want are 20-40. That said, there's no longer a lot of interest in teams moving up. I think the Jets were looking to trade down, and even with some very good players still on the board couldn't find takers.

edit:  Also, LOL that the Jets went D with their first pick after signing St Rogers.

King Postwhore

For Rodgers, some things never change. Lol

El Barto

He's a little small, but you had to take him at that point. Trading down and still getting the guy is a slick move. My only problem is that Belichick finds great CB's just by looking behind bushes.

Trick now is going to be to sneak up and grab one of the 4 receivers.

King Postwhore

It's funny, I thunk he might be their tallest DB.

El Barto

Quote from: Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy on April 27, 2023, 07:13:50 PM
He was certainly the most athletic DB in the draft, and AJ Brown just called him the best all around. He's also a monster in press coverage. They're shaping up to be a dangerous team to throw against.

King Postwhore

I feel good about the D. The unknown is the offensive. Which everyone knows.

TAC

Quote from: El Barto on April 27, 2023, 07:17:33 PM
He was certainly the most athletic DB in the draft, and AJ Brown just called him the best all around. He's also a monster in press coverage. They're shaping up to be a dangerous team to throw against.

Good. I hope he works out.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

El Barto

Here's where all of the top receivers go. I was hoping they'd drop further. Flowers, Addison, and Johnston will be gone in 4 picks. Probaly that TE, too.

Quote from: Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy on April 27, 2023, 07:23:37 PM
I feel good about the D. The unknown is the offensive. Which everyone knows.
I agree, but at that spot you take Gonzales. Nothing wrong with making a good D better.

King Postwhore

For sure. Also, this is a great picture.

TAC

Who are the clowns they got to dress up in team colors tonight? What a bunch of hammerheads.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

King Postwhore

El Barto

Apparently he was super-pissed at falling the way he did (he was projected at 7-9). Hopefully he's got a big-ass chip on him because of it.

Also, over the course of one week Baltimore got really damned scary on offense.

gmillerdrake

Quote from: Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy on April 27, 2023, 01:42:22 PM
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on April 27, 2023, 01:41:43 PM
Our other long national nightmare is over.  Lamar Jackson, Ravens agree to five-year contract extension

Get out.

Another severely overpaid quarterback who honestly hasn't proven a whole lot. Some accolades and awards for a couple good regular seasons but he's yet to really prove he's worth the $$$ he's bringing in on this contract.

DragonAttack

I like the background of the Ravens new OC, but he'll still need a QB who is more accurate throwing the long ball or out routes.

#8's contract is 'Chris Davis 2.0' in Baltimore.  Just give it two years or less to implode.
Quote from: frogprog on January 05, 2023, 05:45:48 PM...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen discography thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!
QUEEN Discography  [url="https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.0"]https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.0[/url]

Stadler

Holy crap that kid can TACKLE. 

KevShmev

Quote from: gmillerdrake on April 27, 2023, 10:31:01 PM
Our other long national nightmare is over.  Lamar Jackson, Ravens agree to five-year contract extension

Get out.

Another severely overpaid quarterback who honestly hasn't proven a whole lot. Some accolades and awards for a couple good regular seasons but he's yet to really prove he's worth the $$$ he's bringing in on this contract.

He was awesome in 2019, but hasn't been close to that since, has not been good in the playoffs, and cannot stay healthy for a full 17.  I suspect the Ravens will regret this extension sooner rather than later, but I get why they did it. 

El Barto

Quote from: Stadler on April 28, 2023, 05:06:37 AM

Holy crap that kid can TACKLE.
He's a freak athlete, which is what Bill's been looking for. The knock against him is his instincts. He's not a ball hawk, and he's not (currently) one to jump passes. I think he had zero INTs his first two years, and only four in his third. He's still excellent in coverage. The other thing is that he's predominantly a man corner. Zone isn't his strong suit. And while he's got the size and athleticism to play safety, those instincts and not being a natural zone player might hamper that.

He's actually 6'2", which even at 195 does make him pretty big for a CB. Just looking at the numbers, I'd seen 6'0 yesterday, I thought he was kind of small. Apparently not. With that combination of size and athleticism I'm not sure why NE didn't take him at 14, which still would have been a steal. In any case, he's almost certainly a day one starter, on the outside, and they clearly brought him in to cover the top end receivers in the AFC.

The comparison is to Aqib Talib, except without the shit attitude, and given NE's proven history of turning guys into top end corners, I'd say that might even be on the low side. I really like this pick, plus  the bonus 4th rounder (which was honestly very lucky).

El Barto

Quote from: KevShmev on April 28, 2023, 05:30:36 AM

Get out.

He was awesome in 2019, but hasn't been close to that since, has not been good in the playoffs, and cannot stay healthy for a full 17.  I suspect the Ravens will regret this extension sooner rather than later, but I get why they did it.
He's got no more excuses. Adding Zay Flowers to the slot, and some gadget plays here or there, any QB should be able to rack up points. If his passing numbers remain shit after this year they just need to take him out behind the barn and shoot him. And the GM, too.

gmillerdrake

Quote from: KevShmev on April 28, 2023, 05:30:36 AM

Get out.

Sure....they essentially had to do it. I get that too. But, just because you have one good season doesn't mean that you're an elite QB. I have this issue with how players are 'labeled' these days.....epecially in the NFL and MLB. Some of these guys that have a good year or two are suddenly 'superstars' and they've proven nothing. Shoot....the San Diego Padres are full of players who have been deemed 'superstars' and they've done nothing to earn it.

Ultimately it's Baltimore's $$$ so if they want to throw it out the window on a player who's best season is behind him and will most likely be average at best from here on out then that's their right to. Seems like a joke to me though...

hefdaddy42

It's definitely a put up or shut up season for him, after signing that contract.

But some of you are way too harsh on him, IMO.

We'll see what happens.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

gmillerdrake

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on April 28, 2023, 07:27:07 AM
It's definitely a put up or shut up season for him, after signing that contract.

You know what....this is a perfect way to surmise it. I have my opinion about him as a player and teammate....but....he fought for what he ultimately got so, now it's on him to 'earn' it. Some true competitors stay motivated after attaining this type of contract and go out and perform....some consider it the finish line and evaporate away. Let's see what he does.

El Barto

Holy shit, the trade back makes perfect sense now. It wasn't about getting the extra pick, I thought 120 was quite low, but rather fucking over the NYJ. They knew NY wanted Broderick Jones, and Pitt was likely to take him. According to Matt Groh, they had intel that WTF preferred a different CB than Gonzalez, so they were almost certain to still get the CB they wanted in Gonzalez regardless. Get a bonus pick, the player you want, and screw a division rival all at the same time. Things like this are why I love Bill Belichick.  :lol

hefdaddy42

Quote from: El Barto on April 28, 2023, 07:56:21 AM
Holy shit, the trade back makes perfect sense now. It wasn't about getting the extra pick, I thought 120 was quite low, but rather fucking over the NYJ. They knew NY wanted Broderick Jones, and Pitt was likely to take him. According to Matt Groh, they had intel that WTF preferred a different CB than Gonzalez, so they were almost certain to still get the CB they wanted in Gonzalez regardless. Get a bonus pick, the player you want, and screw a division rival all at the same time. Things like this are why I love Bill Belichick.  :lol
That really is pretty nice.  I like it.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

King Postwhore

I heard that this morning but didn't know the details.  I always wonder how the little details like the Jets wanting Jones and that the WFT wanted a different CB?  I'd love to know that espionage details.

TAC

Jeesh, and to think we used to make fun of teams that thought they won the offseason.

El Barto

Quote from: Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy on April 28, 2023, 08:12:47 AM
I heard that this morning but didn't know the details.  I always wonder how the little details like the Jets wanting Jones and that the WFT wanted a different CB?  I'd love to know that espionage details.
Yeah, espionage in the NFL is an interesting thing, and NE has always been excellent at it. Jimmy Johnson said he always went to the other team's coaching boxes after games and dug through their trash cans looking at what they threw away.  :lol  I'm pretty sure shredders are common now because of that.

In this case they might have just asked Pitt who they were going to draft. Their needs were different, so there wasn't necessarily any conflict of interest there. Not sure what draft-day trade etiquette is. NYJ wanting Jones was probably just speculation, but it seems pretty likely they'd have taken one of the best LTs in the draft to protect St. Rogers. In any case, if they knew that WTF wanted a different CB they really didn't have much to lose, so simply disrupting NYJ on a lark was fine.

King Postwhore

Oh the stories of coaches on building with binoculars scouting teams they were playing back in the day.  Stealing playbooks.  All the fun old stories.

King Postwhore