News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Still "a thing" since 2007.

Main Menu

2023 NFL Thread v Super Bowl matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers

Started by KevShmev, March 07, 2023, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonAttack

While hundreds of thousands waste hundreds of hours before/during/after the draft, I'll check in for a minute each morning for a very brief recap.  I find the mania beyond belief.

That said, I wish that the juvenile delinquent that wears #8 in Baltimore would be involved in a trade.  That would be good news to wake up to. His rare tweets over the past five months would be embarrassing to a six year old.
Quote from: frogprog on January 05, 2023, 05:45:48 PM...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen discography thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!
QUEEN Discography  [url="https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.0"]https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.0[/url]

TAC

Quote from: DragonAttack on April 27, 2023, 08:16:12 AM
While hundreds of thousands waste hundreds of hours before/during/after the draft, I'll check in for a minute each morning for a very brief recap.  I find the mania beyond belief.

It's funny you mention this. I'm so happy the draft is tonight. Not because I care WTF happens, but I'll be subjected to no more draft talk for another year.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

hefdaddy42

I will tune in to the draft just long enough to see the Panthers pick # 1 (probably Bryce Young, but we'll see).  Then I will likely just read about the rest tomorrow.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

King Postwhore

That's me with the Pats pick as well.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

El Barto

Quote from: Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy on April 27, 2023, 08:30:44 AM
I'll have it on in the background just to see what potential NE picks go early. The WR market is an interesting one this year, in that many might drop into the 2nd, but one team could start a run on them earlier. I know what I'd like to see happen, but obviously there's no way to ever know what Bill's gonna do.

axeman90210

I'll be flipping back and forth between the draft and the Devils game.

King Postwhore

Quote from: El Barto on April 27, 2023, 09:49:38 AM
I'll have it on in the background just to see what potential NE picks go early. The WR market is an interesting one this year, in that many might drop into the 2nd, but one team could start a run on them earlier. I know what I'd like to see happen, but obviously there's no way to ever know what Bill's gonna do.

A high percentage of the time Bill takes a play we scramble to find out where he was from and his stats. Remember the draft picks in the early 2000's?  Stud after stud after stud.  Though the last 2 years have been very good drafts.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

El Barto

Quote from: Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy on April 27, 2023, 10:15:21 AM

A high percentage of the time Bill takes a play we scramble to find out where he was from and his stats. Remember the draft picks in the early 2000's?  Stud after stud after stud.  Though the last 2 years have been very good drafts.
I never know who any of them are, beyond the 3 or 4 blue chip players.

And overall Bill's track record for the last 10 drafts has been very good. He's certainly had his misses, but for every Nkeal Harry there's a Micahel Onwenu and a Johnathon Jones. People only remember first round busts. They forget 6th round steals. PPF had him in the top four using their value per pick metric, and there was a big gap under that.

TAC

That value per pick metric has served him well, wouldn't you say? What are we now 4 or 5 years removed from our last playoff win?
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

King Postwhore

Quote from: El Barto on April 27, 2023, 12:09:50 PM

And overall Bill's track record for the last 10 drafts has been very good. He's certainly had his misses, but for every Nkeal Harry there's a Micahel Onwenu and a Johnathon Jones. People only remember first round busts. They forget 6th round steals. PPF had him in the top four using their value per pick metric, and there was a big gap under that.

I always go by how many make the team for a long term for each draft year.

2001   #6   Richard Seymour    DT   Georgia   
2002    #21   Daniel Graham   TE   Colorado   aa
2003    #13   Ty Warren   DT   Texas A&M   bb
2004    #21   Vince Wilfork    Miami (FL)   cc
           #32   Benjamin Watson      TE   Georgia   
2005    #32   Logan Mankins    OG   Fresno State   
2006      #21    Laurence Maroney   RB   Minnesota   
2007      #24    Brandon Meriweather   S   Miami (FL)   
2008      #10    Jerod Mayo    LB   Tennessee   ee
2009   —   No pick   —   —   ff
2010       #27   Devin McCourty   CB/S   Rutgers   gg
2011       #17   Nate Solder   OT   Colorado   
2012       #21   Chandler Jones    DE   Syracuse   
            #25   Dont'a Hightower    LB   Alabama   

One hell of a run.

TAC

Joe, you forgot 2013-2022

King Postwhore

Try reading my post before that one Tim.

TAC

The picks aren't in that post either. :P

King Postwhore

I said early in he was killer. Absolutely there was bad drafts after to at least 2020. The last 2 years were very good.

El Barto

Quote from: Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy on April 27, 2023, 12:44:35 PM
Quote from: El Barto on April 27, 2023, 12:09:50 PM

I always go by how many make the team for a long term for each draft year.

2001   #6   Richard Seymour    DT   Georgia   
2002    #21   Daniel Graham   TE   Colorado   aa
2003    #13   Ty Warren   DT   Texas A&M   bb
2004    #21   Vince Wilfork    Miami (FL)   cc
           #32   Benjamin Watson      TE   Georgia   
2005    #32   Logan Mankins    OG   Fresno State   
2006      #21    Laurence Maroney   RB   Minnesota   
2007      #24    Brandon Meriweather   S   Miami (FL)   
2008      #10    Jerod Mayo    LB   Tennessee   ee
2009   —   No pick   —   —   ff
2010       #27   Devin McCourty   CB/S   Rutgers   gg
2011       #17   Nate Solder   OT   Colorado   
2012       #21   Chandler Jones    DE   Syracuse   
            #25   Dont'a Hightower    LB   Alabama   

One hell of a run.
What you find is that after that you get the same sorts of longevity, but it's the later round guys. You started getting 1st round busts and 4th round stalwarts. Next couple of drafts turned out James White, Shaq Mason, Duron Harmon, Joe Thuney, etc. Not star players (aside from White, who was The Man), but solid foundational guys. I think those foundational guys are what he's always wanted. I only see one HOFer on your list. I see high quality stalwarts.

El Barto

Quote from: Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy on April 27, 2023, 01:12:42 PM
I said early in he was killer. Absolutely there was bad drafts after to at least 2020. The last 2 years were very good.
Nah, they sucked. He sucks. They can't win a playoff game!

TAC

Quote from: El Barto on April 27, 2023, 01:14:14 PM

I suppose you have to actually make the playoffs in order to win a playoff game..

Since Brady left, The Pats have done jack shit. I mean, if you're fine having a mid 1st round pick every year and missing out on the playoffs, then sure, I guess he's pretty good.

King Postwhore

Quote from: El Barto on April 27, 2023, 01:14:14 PM

You are allowed to be critical of the gm BB. He pushed out the greatest player ever.  Didn't have a back up. Got a rookie qb and in his 2nd year, has a guy who never ran the offensive side of the ball ruin this young QB and have dissension among the team.

But let's not critique him since he won 6 rings. We know why he won 6 rings. He pushed the guy out who helped him.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

King Postwhore

TAC

What a relief. Do Raven's fans even want him?

hefdaddy42

Saw it on multiple news outlets.  It will be interesting to see what the terms actually wind up being.

King Postwhore

blue sunset wallpaper

Joe Thunney & Malcolm Mitchell were the only worthwhile in this 2016 draft. Mitchell ended up hurt and retiring.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: TAC on April 27, 2023, 01:42:41 PM
Why wouldn't they?  His regular season record is 45-16, with a 1-3 playoff record and one MVP award, and he's only 26 years old.

King Postwhore

2017. Only Deatrich Wise Jr. The worthy pick.

King Postwhore

Ja'Whaun Bentley who took a while to mature. 

King Postwhore

Damien Harris.  Jake Bailey nose dived after his 1st year.

King Postwhore

Dugger & Uche & Onwenu.

So if you look, these were poor drafts. Some players were cut and went on to play well for other teams (Berrios) but it put the team in decline.

Hey, I don't want to lose Bill, buy I can critique him for some of what he's done. 

TAC

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on April 27, 2023, 01:45:05 PM
Quote from: TAC on April 27, 2023, 01:42:41 PM
Why wouldn't they?  His regular season record is 45-16, with a 1-3 playoff record and one MVP award, and he's only 26 years old.

15-9 over the last two years. Missed 4-5 games each year as well, and quit on his team last year. Last two year's passer ratings were 87 and 91. He's already peaked.

El Barto

Quote from: Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy on April 27, 2023, 01:54:47 PM
So if you look, these were poor drafts. Some players were cut and went on to play well for other teams (Berrios) but it put the team in decline.

Hey, I don't want to lose Bill, buy I can critique him for some of what he's done.
I think you sell a few of those guys short:
Karras and Elandon Roberts were great picks for the sixth round. You always need OL depth, and they were solid when called upon.
Sony Michel wasn't as good as he was expected to be, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him a bust. Just an underachiever. Also, he didn't have to use a draft pick on JC Jackson, and that counts a great deal.
Cajost and Freholdt are the same as Karras and Roberts. Great values and reliable depth. THat counts. Also, he didn't have to use a pick on Jacobi Meyers. Counts a great deal.
There's also UFA Myles Bryant. Again, didn't need a draft pick.

That said, you're exactly right. Critique him for those drafts. I'll do the same. Ton of misses in there. All I said is that he's done better than people give him credit for over the last ten years, and better than most in the league. People look at those drafts in the middle, a couple of stinkers and a couple of decent but not good ones, and assume he sucks at drafts now. That's simply incorrect. Kind of reminds me of Jerry in that regard. As a GM Cowboys fans are lucky to have him. (It's as a president that Jerry sucks.  :lol)

And the truth is that he'll be gone pretty soon, and people like Tim may well find out how bad things can actually be.

edit: Also, you always talk about how Bill ran Brady off. I disagree, but whatever. It is the case that Brady tried to run Bill off, though. Would you have been alright with getting 3 more years out of Brady with O'Brien as HC? I don't think it would have gone much better, and we'd be worse off now.

King Postwhore

Here's my take on Brady. On the draft of Jimmy Garoppolo.  Belichick said Brady's age came into play. At that time Brady took that as a slight. Though Bill was right I think saying that in that public forum might not have been smart. (Motivational maybe?) 

Then telling the media about the air in the footballs and I quote, ""I don't know anything about this business with the deflating footballs, but that guy over there — points thumb in direction of cleft-chinned superstar quarterback — sure seems to have an opinion on the topic!"

Plus dealing with the media, his mom's cancer and then the year and one half leading to the suspension was the breaking point. Then not getting a 2 year deal but 1 year deals with  incentives after Jimmy G was traded was the end.

He's still my coach.  I just with he handled that situation better.

On the last 2 drafts he's hit so many jems.  I hope that continues tonight.

TAC

We're not rehashing this again are we?

King Postwhore

I just did Tim.

Wait a second!  The dude that lives in the past in his 1980's bunker is ribbing me about things in the past? :lol

TAC

Quote from: Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy on April 27, 2023, 03:15:39 PM
I just did Tim.

Wait a second!  The dude that lives in the past in his 1980's bunker is ribbing me about things in the past? :lol

Oh yeah, let me tell you about how messy it was when Steve Grogan left.. :lol

King Postwhore

:lol

John Hannah already put his feelings known on his replacement. Lol