Author Topic: Official Queen top 30 Countdown Thread!! (#s 05-03 featured!!)  (Read 15285 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Queen top 50 Countdown Thread!! (lists due 03/25)
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2023, 05:55:51 PM »
Kind of surprised at the low list count honestly, I would've thought the Queen countdown would've blown the PT countdown away in terms of participation.

I tried doing a list but I only really felt strongly about ~30 or so songs and the rest wouldn't been more-or-less randomly ranked.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2023, 06:09:13 PM »

I tried doing a list but I only really felt strongly about ~30 or so songs and the rest wouldn't been more-or-less randomly ranked.

I think this is where most people are with Queen. I wouldn't expect more participation than PT around here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2023, 09:38:28 AM »
I’d love to participate, but like Reaper my favorites list is only about 30 songs. For the diehard fans I’m sure 50 songs is no problem. But for a more casual fan like me, that’s a tall order.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2023, 10:34:52 AM »
Throw a list in! 

Mine's coming. I'm working it now.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2023, 04:52:03 PM »
Sorry All, this will be the first countdown I can't participate in (apart from DT top 100 which I missed). I am a fan of Queen but just not enough to get 50, more in the 30 song boat. Will be following along though.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2023, 05:20:36 PM »
Sorry All, this will be the first countdown I can't participate in (apart from DT top 100 which I missed). I am a fan of Queen but just not enough to get 50, more in the 30 song boat. Will be following along though.

Similar. Top 40 I can do. But 50 is just a tad beyond my knowledge base and I don’t want to pick songs at random or after 1 listen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline HOF

« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2023, 05:28:55 PM »
It’s kind of wild that Freddie Mercury was the DTF’s favorite vocalist but only 10 people here can rank more than 30-40 of his songs.  :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2023, 05:30:09 PM »
Kev, perhaps amend the countdown to something less than 50.. I mean Metallica was only 40.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2023, 06:04:01 PM »
I've struggled with when to participate in these and when to opt out; when my level of being enough of a "fan" is appropriate to contribute. For example, my love for Rush only extends to about 50 of their songs. Ranking those was a fun exercise. And while I didn't mail in songs 51-75, I definitely had much less of an opinion or personal attachment to those songs compared to the top 50. I still felt submitting a list was reasonable in that case.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2023, 07:05:19 PM »
It’s kind of wild that Freddie Mercury was the DTF’s favorite vocalist but only 10 people here can rank more than 30-40 of his songs.  :P

Yeah, I find that to be very strange.  I figured 50 would be a cinch for many here, but it apparently not.

Kev, perhaps amend the countdown to something less than 50.. I mean Metallica was only 40.

Metallica was 50, but it appears as if lowering this might be ideal.

To those who cannot get to 50, if I lower this to top 30, say "I" if you'd be down for submitting a list.  I'd be fine with extending the due date by a week if need be.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2023, 07:08:23 PM »
I

Offline The Realm

« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2023, 07:39:43 PM »
I'll definitely submit for 30 but wouldn't mind a little extra time to submit. Thanks in advance Kev (if this happens..)

Offline Adami

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2023, 07:41:47 PM »
Eye.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Queen top 30 Countdown Thread!! (lists due 04/01)
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2023, 07:44:45 PM »
Okay, cool. That's enough already to make the change.

It is now a top 30 and the due date is end of day 04/01.  OP has been updated as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2023, 07:53:30 PM »
Kev, do you need our lists resent 30-1, or can you adjust what you've already been sent?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2023, 07:55:19 PM »
Kev, do you need our lists resent 30-1, or can you adjust what you've already been sent?

I will adjust all of them.  No worries.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2023, 08:07:20 PM »
Apologies if this has been addressed, but is there rhyme and reason as to how you arrive at the number of songs for each band's countdown?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2023, 08:45:39 PM »
Okay, cool. That's enough already to make the change.

It is now a top 30 and the due date is end of day 04/01.  OP has been updated as well.
I'm glad for the week extension. I'm loving my revisit of the catalogue and the extra time to decide on a top 30 is very welcome.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2023, 09:21:30 PM »
How DARE you do this to my beloved QUEEN? This forum is nothing but blasphemers, heathens and scoundrels! ;) ;) ;)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2023, 04:26:11 AM »
Came across this in my outbox.....

Re: Queen
« Sent to: KevShmev on: March 05, 2023, 01:26:02 PM »
Forty songs probably would get a few more entries

It was a bit tough for me to cut the list down to 75, and I've been stuck at 52 for two weeks :D  Mrs. DA did her list in two days :lol

Time to get out the molly hatchets....

btw......after this change, a shame that a compromise couldn't have been worked out.

You know, like a 'Top '39 Queen countdown'  ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2023, 07:13:16 AM »

Speaking for myself Freddie is one of my favorite vocalists but Queens music is the definition of hit or miss to me. I've been through the discography a few times and when they are good they are legendary but when they miss it's pretty terrible.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2023, 08:09:37 AM »

Speaking for myself Freddie is one of my favorite vocalists but Queens music is the definition of hit or miss to me. I've been through the discography a few times and when they are good they are legendary but when they miss it's pretty terrible.

I was noting that today when going through.  The highs are HIGH, the mids are pretty damn good, but when they crater, they CRATER. 

Not going to lie: no judgment, but for all the love Queen gets around here, I'm completely floored that 20 songs makes a difference between submitting a list and not submitting a list. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2023, 08:22:20 AM »
For me it's 8 songs. I am intimately familiar with 42 of their songs and that's it.

That's just how the cookie crumbles. I don't have the time, energy,  or money to know every song from every band I like.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2023, 08:38:36 AM »
For me it's 8 songs. I am intimately familiar with 42 of their songs and that's it.

That's just how the cookie crumbles. I don't have the time, energy,  or money to know every song from every band I like.

It's not that; I certainly don't know every song from every band I like.  But for Metallica, I put all the Metallica songs I have in a playlist, and listened to them as they came up in the ranker.  Wasn't rocket science.

And I'm not casting judgment, just expressing my feelings.  Which matter.  I matter. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2023, 08:39:35 AM »

It's not that; I certainly don't know every song from every band I like.  But for Metallica, I put all the Metallica songs I have in a playlist, and listened to them as they came up in the ranker.  Wasn't rocket science.

And I'm not casting judgment, just expressing my feelings.  Which matter.  I matter. 

You matter Stads, don't let anyone tell you otherwise

Offline Adami

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2023, 08:45:18 AM »

You do matter!

But a lot of people might not have 50 Queens songs to put in a play list. I have 42.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2023, 09:10:38 AM »

You matter, but I would never in a million years go to the trouble that you did for that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2023, 09:26:45 AM »
Well, thank you all (and that was funny, Hef, but I was more making a joke to our resident Dr. Freud, than making any sincere affirmation.  :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2023, 10:01:07 AM »
Well, thank you all (and that was funny, Hef, but I was more making a joke to our resident Dr. Freud, than making any sincere affirmation.  :)
Hey, either way, you do you, boo.  I support you in your decision-making process, whatever that might be.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2023, 10:10:51 AM »

That’s insulting!

Resident Dr. Perls on the other hand…..

Anyway, you’re good enough, your smart enough, and Doggone it, people like you!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline coz

« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2023, 02:04:51 PM »
Mark me down as one who was hesitant with the number 50.  But now that I'm doing the ranking, 40-50 would've been no problem.  I consider myself somewhere between casual and diehard Queen fan.  Can we maybe submit a list of 30-50 and rank what we've got?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 02:32:40 PM by coz »
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2023, 05:43:48 PM »
I am only doing a top 30 now, so there is no point in submitting a list with anything more than that.  That is the change we are sticking with now.  :coolio :coolio

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2023, 06:43:45 PM »
The highs are HIGH, the mids are pretty damn good, but when they crater, they CRATER. 

This is where I am at. I'd go as far as to say they largely cratered for the majority of an entire decade.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2023, 06:24:37 AM »
The highs are HIGH, the mids are pretty damn good, but when they crater, they CRATER. 

This is where I am at. I'd go as far as to say they largely cratered for the majority of an entire decade.

I can't say that.  Granted, the consistency from song to song fell off starting in the later 70s (see: Jazz, which has a lot of total crap), but with the exception of Hot Space and Flash (sorry, fellas), every album still had a few truly great Queen songs.  The Miracle, for example, gets glossed over a lot, and it has some major crap on there, but it has some great stuff as well.  I have three songs from The Miracle in my top 30 (and had four in my top 50 before I narrowed it down this week).  And I will stand by A Kind of Magic has being mostly really good from start to finish.

Offline Ced156

« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2023, 08:34:13 AM »
I will send a list :). At first 50 songs was a bit too much for me, I had to revisit their entire catalog (which is very enjoyable by the way), but 30 songs is a challenge in the other way, it's difficult to rank such diverse songs and periods.