Author Topic: Official Queen top 30 Countdown Thread!! (#s 05-03 featured!!)  (Read 15275 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Queen top 50 Countdown Thread!! (lists due 03/25)
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2023, 08:43:53 AM »
Open fire!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2023, 10:36:51 AM »
This one is intriguing. All the others countdowns have either been for bands I am big fans of, or don't care at all about. This is the first band that is neither of those. So many of their songs are ingrained in my head from years and years of listening to classic rock radio. Yet I've never owned a Queen album.

Same, except that I own Live Killers and this:  https://www.amazon.com/Will-Rock-You-Are-Champions/dp/B000000OHA .

I'm not sure I could fill out a top 25, much less a top 50, so I'll be following but not participating.

We need you in this thread to keep up with the album rankings. :P :biggrin:

Like I said, I'll follow, and I'm happy to put together the album rankings.

I mean, you’ve got time to listen to a fair bit and go off your first reactions. Go from Queen II to The Game and then pick it back up at The Works until Innuendo. That’s pretty much all the good stuff IMO.

Look, I say this 90% in jest, but with a kernel of truth (and not just to you, PG, but to ANYONE waffling):  If I could cobble together a Metallica list, you can cobble together a Queen list.  :) :) :).   

I mean...I just ran through the list of songs, and there are 22 that I'm for sure familiar with.  I've also heard the songs that DT covered on the BC&SL bonus disc but I have ZERO recollection of what they sound like and don't think I've ever heard the originals.  I won't rule it out completely, but it would be a very tall order for me to listen to the rest of the catalog in a way that would allow mean to intelligently add 28 additional songs to the mix.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2023, 12:37:45 PM »
This one is intriguing. All the others countdowns have either been for bands I am big fans of, or don't care at all about. This is the first band that is neither of those. So many of their songs are ingrained in my head from years and years of listening to classic rock radio. Yet I've never owned a Queen album.

Same, except that I own Live Killers and this:  https://www.amazon.com/Will-Rock-You-Are-Champions/dp/B000000OHA .

I'm not sure I could fill out a top 25, much less a top 50, so I'll be following but not participating.

We need you in this thread to keep up with the album rankings. :P :biggrin:

Like I said, I'll follow, and I'm happy to put together the album rankings.

I mean, you’ve got time to listen to a fair bit and go off your first reactions. Go from Queen II to The Game and then pick it back up at The Works until Innuendo. That’s pretty much all the good stuff IMO.

Look, I say this 90% in jest, but with a kernel of truth (and not just to you, PG, but to ANYONE waffling):  If I could cobble together a Metallica list, you can cobble together a Queen list.  :) :) :).   

I mean...I just ran through the list of songs, and there are 22 that I'm for sure familiar with.  I've also heard the songs that DT covered on the BC&SL bonus disc but I have ZERO recollection of what they sound like and don't think I've ever heard the originals.  I won't rule it out completely, but it would be a very tall order for me to listen to the rest of the catalog in a way that would allow mean to intelligently add 28 additional songs to the mix.

I'm pretty sure you, Dave, Adami, and a couple others would heartily agree that I did not adhere to that standard in the Metallica thread!!!   :) :) :) :) :)

(I did though; I joke around, but that's an honest list, such as they go. There were no guesses taken.)

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2023, 03:05:02 PM »
I could do a legitimate Queen top 50 just from first five albums! :hefdaddy

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2023, 06:20:04 PM »
I'll give the ranking a shot, I'm not sure if I'll have 50 songs though, Queen has always been a band where I either love or hate the output.

I'll be following this thread regardless.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2023, 08:35:29 PM »
I put the list on a spreadsheet and ended up with about 60-70 songs I recognized, discarded the dregs, and was left with about 50 I could reasonably rank. I don't have a particular affinity to Queen, despite their ubiquity on classic rock radio I listened to for decades, as I have with the other countdown threads I've joined. Will listen to some Queen over the next two weeks and consider this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2023, 08:43:29 PM »
I put the list on a spreadsheet and ended up with about 60-70 songs I recognized, discarded the dregs, and was left with about 50 I could reasonably rank. I don't have a particular affinity to Queen, despite their ubiquity on classic rock radio I listened to for decades, as I have with the other countdown threads I've joined. Will listen to some Queen over the next two weeks and consider this.

I suspect that is a code for "almost everything from Flash Gordon and Hot Space," right?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2023, 08:52:07 PM »
Many Queen songs I know, I don't know them by album.

Also, I said I never owned a Queen album, but remembered I owned A Night at the Opera, and got it right before I had my wisdom teeth pulled, so listened to that album a ton laid up in bed. I also owned the Classic and Greatest Hits CDs, and the Wembley DVD.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2023, 12:01:33 AM »
I bought the first Greatest Hits on cassette when I was around 11 (early 90s) and played it to death. Those songs are deeply ingrained in me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2023, 08:37:08 AM »

I suspect that is a code for "almost everything from Flash Gordon and Hot Space," right?
>:(
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2023, 12:43:55 PM »

This alone makes me want to submit a list because I would rank Flash fairly high, and Battle Theme even higher. Football Fight and In the Space Capsule would also have a shot.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2023, 05:57:07 PM »

This alone makes me want to submit a list because I would rank Flash fairly high, and Battle Theme even higher. Football Fight and In the Space Capsule would also have a shot.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2023, 06:04:03 PM »
Battle Theme from Flash is a head-banging classic. Fuck Ride of the Valkyries, Battle Theme is the ultimate movie fight music. Every time I hear it I wanna go kick Ming's bollocks right up through his throat. I'm not a tough guy but it's what that riff does to me. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2023, 08:49:07 PM »
Battle Theme from Flash is a head-banging classic. Fuck Ride of the Valkyries, Battle Theme is the ultimate movie fight music. Every time I hear it I wanna go kick Ming's bollocks right up through his throat. I'm not a tough guy but it's what that riff does to me.

:metal :metal :metal
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2023, 08:31:00 AM »
:djhef:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2023, 07:54:33 AM »
6 lists so far.

And we still have a couple weeks for anyone else to submit one, so I am confident we will get a good number.  :hat :hat

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2023, 08:14:27 AM »
I'll be submitting one but it'll be towards deadline day because I need to re-visit some of their early albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2023, 07:54:27 PM »
Submitted my list. Here's the album breakdown..

I....4
II....3
SHA....6
NATO....5
ADATR....3
NOTW....5
Jazz....5
Game....4
Flash....2
Hot Space....2
Works....1
AKOM....2
Miracle....2
Inuendo....5
MIH....1
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2023, 11:34:21 PM »
Here's my top 50 album breakdown:
I.....3
II......5
SHA....6
NATO......8
ADATR......9
NOTW...4
Jazz...2
Game..2
Flash....0
Hot Space....0
Works..2
AKOM....3
Miracle..1
Inuendo....5
MIH..0

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2023, 07:56:07 AM »
About Queen...although I currently don't have Queen CDs at home (I actually need to fix this!). I listened to all their CDs from Queen I to Innuendo a lot, since my older brother had them all. With internet/Spotify, I never lost touch with their music, listening to it from time to time. I really love a lot of their stuff!
I confess that I don't hold Queen's first 5 albums as sacred, although I love Sheer Heart Attack and most of A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races. I think my favorite era of Queen runs from News of the World to A Kind of Magic (skipping Flash and Hot Space - although I save a few things from both more than most people... well, even Body Language I think its bass line alone deserved a Grammy! :coolio).
I will send my list closer to the deadline, Kev.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2023, 08:57:06 AM »
I'll be submitting one but it'll be towards deadline day because I need to re-visit some of their early albums.

This is me, for slightly different reasons.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2023, 09:00:20 AM »
Submitted my list. Here's the album breakdown..

I....4
II....3
SHA....6
NATO....5
ADATR....3
NOTW....5
Jazz....5
Game....4
Flash....2
Hot Space....2
Works....1
AKOM....2
Miracle....2
Inuendo....5
MIH....1

There are a couple surprises on that list (not even counting the Hot Space number).  I do remember, I think, you liking Sheer Heart Attack during Joe's writeup.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2023, 09:13:28 AM »
The surprise was 5 from Jazz. Honestly I couldn’t go much deeper than 55 songs.

Those first three albums are amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2023, 09:45:14 AM »

This is me, for slightly different reasons.
Yeah, you only need to re-evaluate one album.

Flash Gordon, baby.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2023, 12:05:01 PM »
as to the discography

I wouldn't even think of doing a Queen one until Joe finishes this thread, as I do not want to step on any toes, so let's plan on that for 2023.  :lol :biggrin:

You were true to your word!   :tup

And, d*mn you!  ;) :biggrin: :lol  A top 75 for me would be tough enough, but not having 25 of those songs mentioned is painful, and not remotely close to any pleasure.

Mrs. DA is trying it, and was instantly at 82 songs. A half hour later, down to 62, took a day off, and is now at the magic number.   Me.....I'm stuck at 55 songs.  As is, I'll probably get fewer mentioned on this one than I did for Metallica :D (of which I was quite pleased with)

BTW....if anyone's interested, I did update my discography, with an index of the albums on Page 1
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.0

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 01:21:36 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2023, 02:23:12 PM »
A top 75 for me would be tough enough, but not having 25 of those songs mentioned is painful, and not remotely close to any pleasure.

I had a top 100 already to go and was VERY sad to see only a top 50! SO MANY GREAT songs left off >:(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2023, 02:33:55 PM »
A top 75 for me would be tough enough, but not having 25 of those songs mentioned is painful, and not remotely close to any pleasure.

I had a top 100 already to go and was VERY sad to see only a top 50! SO MANY GREAT songs left off >:(

You must really like Queen!  :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2023, 02:56:55 PM »

You must really like Queen!  :lol

:tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2023, 06:11:27 PM »
Tim, think of if this way: as many songs deep as you can go for Maiden, there are those of us here who can do the same for Queen. 

Queen > Maiden....but that's a topic for a different thread.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

And yes, DA, true to my word to do this in 2023, although it had fallen off my radar a bit, but the friend with whom I do album reviews had us do A Night at the Opera recently, which got me back on the regular Queen listening, so I figured this was as good a time as any to do it.  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2023, 06:49:49 PM »
Tim, think of if this way: as many songs deep as you can go for Maiden, there are those of us here who can do the same for Queen. 

I already bet Joe 100 TAC points that I would have more songs in the countdown than him.

You want in on that action too?  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2023, 07:41:09 AM »

I already bet Joe 100 TAC points that I would have more songs in the countdown than him.

100 TAC Points? What does get me, free parking at Disneyland?  :lol :lol

But, I think more hardcore fans are likely to have less hits and obvious songs in their top 50 than a lukewarm/"newer" fan like you, so you might be right.  Heck, there are a few major hits I just couldn't find a way to get into my top 50.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2023, 04:00:16 PM »

100 TAC Points? What does get me, free parking at Disneyland?  :lol :lol

But, I think more hardcore fans are likely to have less hits and obvious songs in their top 50 than a lukewarm/"newer" fan like you, so you might be right.  Heck, there are a few major hits I just couldn't find a way to get into my top 50.

100 TAC points makes up for what I lost because of a couple of snafus in his roulette. ;)

And, Kev, since when do 'hits and obvious songs' ever matter as to TAC's picks in your countdowns!  :biggrin:  :lol

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2023, 10:58:30 PM »
I'm in. Lots of nostalgia on this list; I imagine it would have looked very similar 20 years ago when I listened to Queen a lot more, with the noticeable exception of what probably would have been my #1 falling to #10, and a bit of a surprise at what my #1 was. Though the more I thought about it, it had to be the one that made it to the top. This and the DT list were the only two where my #1 wasn't obvious from the start. Even the countdowns I didn't participate in because I wasn't big fans of those bands, I could have told you what my #1 song of their was.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2023, 02:39:01 PM »
One week left to submit.

Only nine lists submitted thus far.  ??? :(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2023, 03:15:28 PM »
You can count mine twice if you need to.  ;D