Author Topic: Official Queen top 30 Countdown Thread!! (#s 05-03 featured!!)  (Read 15276 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Alright, the long-awaited Queen countdown will be coming soon!

First off, thanks to DragonAttack for the great discography thread (link below) that he did recently.  It's a great read if you need a refresher.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.0

I will count down the top 30 Queen songs in order, and they will be taken from lists of anyone who wants to send me theirs via PM. Do not post them on the forum here. Send them to me via PM.  I will take all of the lists and come up with a top 30 based off all lists cumulatively and count the songs down from 30 to 1.

The rules:
-Songs must be listed from 30 to 1 in order and NUMBERED, with no ties.  No having three songs at number 1 or anything like that. 30 songs, listed from 30 to 1 or 1 to 30. DO NOT list your songs with the points total. List them in your order (I will figure out the points on my end).  Any list submitted with the songs not numbered will be ignored.
-Anyone wanting to submit a list must do so by the end of day, Saturday, April 1st.  I will then begin the countdown the following Monday. This should give anyone and everyone time to listen to the band's songs. That gives everyone almost three weeks to compile and submit a list, and even do some last minute listens if need be.
-The list will be tallied numerically in a simple way. On each list, whatever song is at number 1 gets 30 points, number 2 gets 29 points, number 3 gets 28 points, etc.
-Like the other countdowns, if there are multiple versions of the same song, you can use whatever version you like best when deciding where to rank the song, but there is no need to list that when submitting your top 30.
-Like before, no more Mr. Nice Guy on my part.  PROOFREAD YOUR LISTS BEFORE SENDING THEM.  Any list with the same song listed twice will be not be counted.

Feel free to post in this thread as well that you have PM'd me, if for no other reason than to bump this back up for others who may want to participate who may not have seen the thread yet.

This ranking engine link below works great. You can input all of the songs, and then you pick your favorite of every 1 on 1 matchup and then it spits out your list.   The songs must be listed in your top 30 as listed below.  For example, We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions are two songs. Combining them and putting them as one song will disqualify your list.  Same goes for Tenement Funster, Flick of the Wrist and Lily of the Valley, which are three songs and will be treated as such for the purposes of this countdown.

https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/

Top 30:

30 The March of the Black Queen
29 Ogre Battle
28 Seven Seas of Rhye
27 Keep Yourself Alive
26 '39
25 Bicycle Race
24 Spread Your Wings
23 Flick of the Wrist
22 Love of My Life
21 Crazy Little Thing Called Love
20 Radio Ga Ga
19 Now I'm Here
18 Stone Cold Crazy
17 Fat Bottomed Girls
16 The Prophet's Song
15 Another One Bites the Dust
14 Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to...)
13 Tie Your Mother Down
12 Don't Stop Me Now
11 Killer Queen
10 We Are the Champions
09 Under Pressure (w/ David Bowie)
08 One Vision
07 Hammer to Fall
06 I Want It All
05 Who Wants to Live Forever
04 Innuendo
03 The Show Must Go On
02 Somebody to Love
01 Bohemian Rhapsody
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 05:57:55 AM by KevShmev »

Offline jammindude

Re: Official Queen top 50 Countdown Thread!! (lists due 03/25)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 04:43:32 PM »
I will be watching this one with great interest, but I just don’t know their complete catalog well enough to participate. It wouldn’t be right since I basically know just the first eight albums, and then only a few hits afterwards. I’ve never even heard a single post-AKOM album at all.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 04:45:22 PM »
Yeah, that was a great discog thread. I'm not sure before it that I could've even made a Top 25 before it. I think I can scratch together 50 songs. Might get challenging towards the end.

It wouldn’t be right since I basically know just the first eight albums, and then only a few hits afterwards. I’ve never even heard a single post-AKOM album at all.

Why wouldn't it be right? Nothing after AKOM is going to make it anyway.  :lol

Wait..you don't know Innuendo?? Get on it and we'll be expecting a list from you!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 04:56:39 PM »
This one is intriguing. All the others countdowns have either been for bands I am big fans of, or don't care at all about. This is the first band that is neither of those. So many of their songs are ingrained in my head from years and years of listening to classic rock radio. Yet I've never owned a Queen album.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 04:59:54 PM »
Top 50 ONLY?  :omg: Ahhhhhhhhh, you're KILLING ME! :facepalm: ;)

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 05:02:00 PM »
Luckily for me, anticipating this one, I already put my top 100 together weeks ago! :metal Will send the top 50!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 05:09:56 PM »
Turns out I’m only familiar with around 43 or so Queens songs. That’s sad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 05:22:58 PM »
Sent :corn :corn :corn

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 06:48:45 PM »
Submitted. Can’t wait to see the reactions to how many and what ended up in front of Bohemain Rhapsody for me!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 07:33:54 PM »
Went through their discography and culled out 52 tracks
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2023, 07:53:18 PM »
Never got into Queen, kind of dislike Brian May’s tone (odd I know), and I don’t really care for a lot of their hits, but I might try to follow along on this as the songs are revealed like I did with Zeppelin and Billy Joel and see if there is anything I’m really missing beyond the songs that I know. I do like a handful of their songs (Under Pressure is great, always liked the Highlander theme song, One Vision is cool but I prefer the version JLB sang for the Dragon Attack tribute).

Submitted. Can’t wait to see the reactions to how many and what ended up in front of Bohemain Rhapsody for me!

Objectively a great song, but one I don't really need to ever hear again!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 08:20:06 PM »
Okay, the listed is updated with a few additions thanks to our resident Queen expert, DragonAttack.  :tup :tup

Offline Animal

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023, 12:04:00 AM »
When wondering what the next countdown could be, Queen just never occurred to me. But it is a great idea nonetheless. Hopefully, I will have enough time to go through their catalog - I could do like Top 30 now, not sure about next 20.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2023, 12:21:49 AM »
Sweet! I'll definitely be participating.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2023, 05:33:13 AM »
Really not a fan of Queen at all but I'll be following along the way I did with the Van Halen one. Always interesting to listen to tracks I don't know while following along. Mostly in hope of finally 'getting it'.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2023, 05:42:33 AM »
This should be fun. I'll try to put my list together by the end of the week.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2023, 07:45:54 AM »
Yeah, that was a great discog thread. I'm not sure before it that I could've even made a Top 25 before it. I think I can scratch together 50 songs. Might get challenging towards the end.

It wouldn’t be right since I basically know just the first eight albums, and then only a few hits afterwards. I’ve never even heard a single post-AKOM album at all.

Why wouldn't it be right? Nothing after AKOM is going to make it anyway.  :lol

Wait..you don't know Innuendo?? Get on it and we'll be expecting a list from you!

Yeah, Jammin', if you even have a passing fancy at Queen, you should check out Innuendo.  On any given day it's my third favorite Queen record.   

I'm all over this.  I can't wait!!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2023, 05:17:41 PM »

Yeah, Jammin', if you even have a passing fancy at Queen, you should check out Innuendo.  On any given day it's my third favorite Queen record.   

Hell yeah!  I have been banging the gong for Innuendo for as long as I can remember.  Definitely a top 3 Queen record in my book.  :tup :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2023, 05:24:04 PM »
I just looked at the track listing and the only song that I’m familiar with is Headlong. But I do really like that track. I will have to check it out.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2023, 07:24:26 PM »
Man, I am looking at my top 50 and cannot believe how great songs I couldn't find a way to get on there.  This band just has too many great songs.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2023, 08:52:26 PM »
My 51-100 could be someone's top 50!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2023, 03:06:37 AM »
My list is sent!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2023, 05:02:05 AM »
This should be fun. I'll try to put my list together by the end of the week.
I ended up sending my list one hour later. I might have rushed it one tiny bit, but it's still pretty accurate.  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2023, 07:17:01 AM »
I thought this was going to be really tough, but I got my initial list of songs fairly quickly.  Now to send them through the ranker.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2023, 09:45:02 AM »
This one is intriguing. All the others countdowns have either been for bands I am big fans of, or don't care at all about. This is the first band that is neither of those. So many of their songs are ingrained in my head from years and years of listening to classic rock radio. Yet I've never owned a Queen album.

Same, except that I own Live Killers and this:  https://www.amazon.com/Will-Rock-You-Are-Champions/dp/B000000OHA .

I'm not sure I could fill out a top 25, much less a top 50, so I'll be following but not participating.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2023, 01:07:14 PM »
Sent
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2023, 06:17:37 PM »

Same, except that I own Live Killers and this:  https://www.amazon.com/Will-Rock-You-Are-Champions/dp/B000000OHA .

I'm not sure I could fill out a top 25, much less a top 50, so I'll be following but not participating.

We need you in this thread to keep up with the album rankings. :P :biggrin:

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2023, 04:11:05 AM »

I mean, you’ve got time to listen to a fair bit and go off your first reactions. Go from Queen II to The Game and then pick it back up at The Works until Innuendo. That’s pretty much all the good stuff IMO.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2023, 06:23:35 AM »
Can't ignore the first album.  It has some average songs, but it has some great ones as well.  Speaking just for myself, three songs from it made my top 25.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2023, 06:50:44 AM »

Look, I say this 90% in jest, but with a kernel of truth (and not just to you, PG, but to ANYONE waffling):  If I could cobble together a Metallica list, you can cobble together a Queen list.  :) :) :).   

As for Queen I, yeah, you can't skip it.  Honestly, I'm probably going to even go back and listen to Flash and Hot Space, just to be fair.  They suck compared to NATO or QII, but some of those songs translated a lot better live.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2023, 07:23:39 AM »
Hey, I love Flash!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2023, 07:30:40 AM »
Hey, I love Flash!

Ah, so YOU'RE the one :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2023, 08:31:58 AM »
Hey, I love Flash!

He'll save every one of us!

King of the impossible!

Man, you guys are gonna HATE my Top 50  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2023, 08:37:06 AM »
Hey, I love Flash!

He'll save every one of us!

King of the impossible!

Man, you guys are gonna HATE my Top 50  :lol

Since I'm weathering this storm in the Metallica countdown, OWN IT!  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2023, 08:37:52 AM »
Oh, I own it.

Saviour of the universe!