Author Topic: EXTREME: "Rise" from "Six" --- June 9, 2023  (Read 8108 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: EXTREME: "Rise" from "Six" --- June 9, 2023
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2023, 09:07:12 AM »
I trust that everyone ragging on Beautiful Girls has similar issues with Take Us Alive?  There's a pseudo-Rockabilly feel if I ever heard it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2023, 09:46:33 AM »
I trust that everyone ragging on Beautiful Girls has similar issues with Take Us Alive?  There's a pseudo-Rockabilly feel if I ever heard it.

Yep, not a fan. That said, the Mrs. dislikes Beautiful Girls, but likes Take Us Alive.  :lol

Edit - Stads, yeah, if Nuno was writing with dudes and jamming and brought those ideas to Gary, obviously, that's a co-write. What I'm saying is that there was no need to do that. Nuno and Gary ARE Extreme in the writing department. Seems silly to co-write with folks. I agree with whoever said a producer could have (should have) brought songs together. But when you produce yourself (as Nuno did with this Extreme record), things happen.

I'm not saying I dislike the new record. I like it. it's better than SdR for me, and has about five songs I can listen to with regularity (the four singles and X-Out). But while the album is good, it bothers me that after 15 years, they didn't write the songs completely themselves.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 09:54:54 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2023, 12:40:00 PM »

No, because Take Us Alive is a decent song, whereas Beautiful Girls is a steaming pile of shit. I don't mind the pseudo-rockabilly feel (although I think it's more country) and I wouldn't kind the pseudo-latin feel, if the song was at least solid.

Re: Outside writers: I know that a lot of people, especially here, think it's important, that a band writes its own music. And I never understood that. If a song is good, I don't care if it's written by a band member, or with help from others. Not every good musician is a good song writer and not every good songwriter is a good musician.
But I give you that it's strange, that after they've written five records almost all by themselves, for the sixth they took in a lot of help.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2023, 01:01:53 PM »
I just watched a KILLER two hour interview with Noel Gallagher and he talked frequently about the difference between being a great guitar player and being a great songwriter.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2023, 01:40:26 PM »
I think we're all intelligent enough here to know that just because someone is a great musician, doesn't necessarily mean they are great songwriters, or vice versa. But this doesn't apply in Extreme's case. Cherone/Bettencourt obviously are a great songwriting team, Bettencourt is a virtuoso musician, and Cherone one of the most gifted vocalists in hard rock.

So none of that really applies in this case. Clearly, they don't NEED help. They CHOSE to have help. And that is the question I'd like for someone to ask them and get an answer to, that is more than just a soundbyte.

As for a band writing its own music, yes, I for one think it is vitally important, particularly in the hard rock/metal genre. Pop music is wonderful, and there are a lot of talented songwriters who write for gifted pop performers and artists. But rock/metal is, and should be, IMO, different. To be honest, I respect someone like Adele, Pink, or even Taylor Swift, who all write their own songs (so I am told), a lot more than an artist who literally is on stage performing songs written by everyone BUT them. To me, that separates the hard rock/metal genre from much of pop. That doesn't mean there can't be exceptions, but in general, for me personally, I want my hard rock/metal bands writing their own stuff.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2023, 02:23:17 PM »
I think we're all intelligent enough here to know that just because someone is a great musician, doesn't necessarily mean they are great songwriters, or vice versa. But this doesn't apply in Extreme's case. Cherone/Bettencourt obviously are a great songwriting team, Bettencourt is a virtuoso musician, and Cherone one of the most gifted vocalists in hard rock.

So none of that really applies in this case. Clearly, they don't NEED help. They CHOSE to have help. And that is the question I'd like for someone to ask them and get an answer to, that is more than just a soundbyte.

As for a band writing its own music, yes, I for one think it is vitally important, particularly in the hard rock/metal genre. Pop music is wonderful, and there are a lot of talented songwriters who write for gifted pop performers and artists. But rock/metal is, and should be, IMO, different. To be honest, I respect someone like Adele, Pink, or even Taylor Swift, who all write their own songs (so I am told), a lot more than an artist who literally is on stage performing songs written by everyone BUT them. To me, that separates the hard rock/metal genre from much of pop. That doesn't mean there can't be exceptions, but in general, for me personally, I want my hard rock/metal bands writing their own stuff.

Sidebar, not really argument, but clarification: you know full well that songwriting credits are at their best misleading, and at their worst currency.   Elvis famously wanted to sing "I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton, but she would NOT give any publishing to Elvis, as Col. Tom demanded.  I'm not up to speed on all the subsequent negotiations, but for the longest time, every Van Halen song was credited to Anthony/Roth/Van Halen/Van Halen, when the reality is, Roth and Van Halen wrote almost all the cataglogue.   Gene Simmons famously credited Howard Marks, his accountant (not really, but something like that) on "Charisma" as a favor.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2023, 06:44:50 AM »
I'm not sure if it's the surprise enjoyment of the album after expecting nada, but while the co-writes would normally bother me greatly they well, don't!?

Really digging the album.  Minus those couple WTF moments the album is killer and I maintain the appeal is the semi-Punchline vibe and darkness buried in the X- Out, Save Me, The Mask and Thicker Than Blood.  Those are the standouts tracks fer me. The underdogs if you will  ;)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 04:17:03 PM by WardySI »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2023, 07:17:13 AM »
The cowriting thing is completely irrelevant for me.  It happens all the time in the music industry.  The only thing that matters to me is if the songs are good or not.

What bothers me is when acts don't contribute at ALL to the songwriting (Spock's Beard, I'm looking at you).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2023, 09:27:06 AM »
That's more where I fall as well, generally speaking.  Although songwriting credits can sometimes impact my enjoyment of the music if I come to learn something that makes me feel the artist was deliberately misleading about outside writers.

For this particular case, the explanation that seems most logical to me is that Nuno and/or Gary had been working with a lot of different people over the long period where Extreme wasn't doing anything, and they got ideas from a lot of those collaborations, so crediting those other people was logical.  But that's pure speculation on my part, since we don't know anything.  It could be any number of reasons.  We just don't know.  I would like to know, since it's been brought up.  But it's just a matter of curiosity as opposed to it bothering me seeing others credited as cowriters (which it doesn't). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2023, 09:33:19 AM »
Im not connecting with this CD the way I had hoped.  I hope others are enjoying more than me, even the good songs simply dont hold me
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline WardySI

« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2023, 04:07:33 AM »
Im not connecting with this CD the way I had hoped.  I hope others are enjoying more than me, even the good songs simply dont hold me

Yet I find I'm connecting with the album way more than I expected.  Even after however many weeks it's been this has lost nothing.  In fact it's gotten better to the point I can enjoy a couple the ballads I otherwise couldn't before.

Faves remain Save Me, Thicker Than Blood and X-Out!  There's a real Punchline darkness about the album I thoroughly enjoy and tbh front loading the album with the more traditional Extreme numbers was (IMO) a mistake (as was releasing all those before the album dropped but is what it is now I guess)...

It was a toss up whether to grab this on vinyl or new Sevendust but in the end old faithful Sevendust won out for delivering such a return to form record, but it was close.

Outside of an upset, I suspect these two records could be duking it out for my AOTY come December  ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2023, 06:07:22 AM »
Saw them last night. They were amazing.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2023, 06:12:06 AM »
Saw them last night. They were amazing.

Where was that Joe?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2023, 06:28:01 AM »
Roadrunner in Boston.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2023, 01:14:41 PM »

Yet I find I'm connecting with the album way more than I expected.  Even after however many weeks it's been this has lost nothing.  In fact it's gotten better to the point I can enjoy a couple the ballads I otherwise couldn't before.

Faves remain Save Me, Thicker Than Blood and X-Out!  There's a real Punchline darkness about the album I thoroughly enjoy

That makes me want to skip this one (I do not like Punchline at all; it's my least favorite of their albums), but this:

and tbh front loading the album with the more traditional Extreme numbers was (IMO) a mistake (as was releasing all those before the album dropped but is what it is now I guess)...

It was a toss up whether to grab this on vinyl or new Sevendust but in the end old faithful Sevendust won out for delivering such a return to form record, but it was close.

Outside of an upset, I suspect these two records could be duking it out for my AOTY come December  ;D

... makes me want to hear it.   I really enjoyed them opening for Aerosmith last fall.  I'd like to see them this week in Hartford, but I'm going to be in Cross Plains, TN, so...

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2023, 11:18:56 AM »

Faves remain Save Me, Thicker Than Blood and X-Out!  There's a real Punchline darkness about the album I thoroughly enjoy and tbh front loading the album with the more traditional Extreme numbers was (IMO) a mistake (as was releasing all those before the album dropped but is what it is now I guess)...

That makes me happy my bro   glad you are enjoying this CD !!!  maybe I will try it again in a few months
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2023, 12:42:35 PM »
What I really like is Extreme is rotating stuff from Punchline into the set. They played "There is No God" a couple days ago. be cool to see that. Can't wait for later this month!