Author Topic: Celebrity death thread  (Read 23830 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Celebrity death thread
« Reply #420 on: February 02, 2024, 06:02:49 PM »
Apollo Creed was one of the truly great film antagonists. Rocky is a great movie regardless, but having him as Rocky's adversary elevates that film to tremendous heights.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: February 02, 2024, 06:38:01 PM »
I know him best as Chubbs from Happy Gilmour and this great scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMUVKuSJHco

What a great actor that he was Apollo Creed but was able to fucking nail it in this movie.  Possibly the start of the whole movie.

Tragic shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online HOF

« Reply #422 on: February 02, 2024, 09:13:23 PM »
I've seen a lot of these movies he was in, but I had no idea while watching The Mandalorian that he was somebody known outside of The Mandalorian.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: February 02, 2024, 09:45:53 PM »
I had no idea while watching The Mandalorian that he was somebody known outside of The Mandalorian.

I had no idea anyone would think of him as anyone other than Apollo Creed.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online HOF

« Reply #424 on: February 02, 2024, 09:51:41 PM »
I had no idea while watching The Mandalorian that he was somebody known outside of The Mandalorian.

I had no idea anyone would think of him as anyone other than Apollo Creed.

Been a long time since I've seen any Rocky movies.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #425 on: February 03, 2024, 04:51:05 AM »
My first time seeing Carl was his wonderful appearances as "himself" on Arrested Development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_9R5vWXjAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDOffqDsV5Q

Photobucket sucks.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: February 06, 2024, 05:18:14 AM »
I'm not into country music at all, but Toby Keith has passed away.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/toby-keith-dies-country-singer-stomach-cancer-rcna137412
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: February 06, 2024, 06:12:29 AM »
Wow, only 62, RIP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #428 on: February 06, 2024, 07:03:36 AM »
I'm not into country music at all, but Toby Keith has passed away.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/toby-keith-dies-country-singer-stomach-cancer-rcna137412

I saw him live twice; I get not being into his schtick, but underneath all that, he was the real deal. Wrote his own songs, and was one of those guys that could stand in front of 10,000 people with just his voice and a guitar and hold you captivated.   

I love that song "Beer For My Horses".   What a great tune.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #429 on: February 06, 2024, 08:26:47 AM »
RIP Toby Keith.  Not a huge fan of his overall output, but he had several songs that were fantastic and get regular replay from me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #430 on: February 06, 2024, 08:53:19 AM »
I've seen Toby a number of times in concert and always had a great time. He was one of the last few monsters before the era of bro-country (though he got pretty close at times). I've done Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue for karaoke dozens of times. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #431 on: February 06, 2024, 08:35:16 PM »
20 or so years ago, I really got into country and LOVED a lot of Toby Keith's songs.  Courtesy of the Red White and Blue is awesome, and his songs were just fun and generally uplifting - What About Me, Whose your Daddy, I Love This Bar.   

Just a great musician all around.  I didn't even realize he was sick - it's too bad he's gone. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #432 on: February 07, 2024, 06:30:31 PM »
RIP Mojo Nixon
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #433 on: February 10, 2024, 10:38:11 AM »
Damo Suzuki passed away. :(

His 3 records with CAN are among some of the coolest things I've ever heard. RIP

https://www.stereogum.com/2251276/can-vocalist-damo-suzuki-dead-at-74/news/
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #434 on: February 10, 2024, 10:49:18 AM »
Bummer.  I checked out some Can a while back, and while I don't remember a lot of specifics, I do remember liking a lot of it and thinking they were a pretty cool band.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #436 on: February 28, 2024, 06:29:43 PM »
Richard Lewis

Obviously knew him from 'Curb' but outside of that and one of the greatest comedies of all time.....The Wrong Guys......other than that....he was always just randomly here and there but apparently made a good living at it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: February 28, 2024, 06:50:05 PM »
Richard Lewis was an A+ level comic.

When I was in 5th/6th grade, I was the biggest kid in the class. I wasn't abnormally large, just noticeably taller and a little chubbier than everyone else. One of the kids fancied himself the Million Dollar Man, and he would always point a thumb my direction and say "Virgil... show 'em my money!"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #438 on: February 28, 2024, 09:16:52 PM »
No idea who Virgil was, but I saw in the same article that Ole Anderson died the same day. That's one I actually do remember.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: February 28, 2024, 11:54:13 PM »
Richard Lewis

Obviously knew him from 'Curb' but outside of that and one of the greatest comedies of all time.....The Wrong Guys......other than that....he was always just randomly here and there but apparently made a good living at it.

I mainly remember him from Men In Tights, playing the king with the mole.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: February 29, 2024, 08:25:23 AM »
No idea who Virgil was, but I saw in the same article that Ole Anderson died the same day. That's one I actually do remember.

I know Virgil from his "work" with the Million Dollar Man, but Ole is the one that registered with me.  I started watching wrestling with World Championship Wrestling out of Georgia (thanks, cable!) with Piper, and those guys, and the Anderson's were a part of that.  Ole and Arn.  I watch wrestling a bit now, but it's not what I remember; it's like seeing your favorite band that you saw in a club or as an opening act now headlining stadiums.  :)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #441 on: February 29, 2024, 08:35:43 AM »

I know Virgil from his "work" with the Million Dollar Man, but Ole is the one that registered with me.  I started watching wrestling with World Championship Wrestling out of Georgia (thanks, cable!) with Piper, and those guys, and the Anderson's were a part of that.  Ole and Arn.  I watch wrestling a bit now, but it's not what I remember; it's like seeing your favorite band that you saw in a club or as an opening act now headlining stadiums.  :)
In our time there was a darkness to it. That's been replaced by camp now.

Obviously I was watching WCCW here in Dallas, and a regular schedule of ODs, murders, and suicides certainly contributed to that darkness.

What I've enjoyed is watching the old timers tell stories about wrestling back in the 70s and 80s. It was a lifestyle that's nearly incomprehensible to sane, rational people. It's like a bizarre combination of circus folk and rockstars. That fascinates me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: February 29, 2024, 08:39:16 AM »

Obviously I was watching WCCW here in Dallas, and a regular schedule of ODs, murders, and suicides certainly contributed to that darkness.

What I've enjoyed is watching the old timers tell stories about wrestling back in the 70s and 80s. It was a lifestyle that's nearly incomprehensible to sane, rational people. It's like a bizarre combination of circus folk and rockstars. That fascinates me.

Me too; I find it fascinating as well.  And that's a great description; they ACTED like rockstars, but the living conditions and pay... those guys were doing it for the love of the "game".  Kudos - I guess - to Vince McMahon for getting the money to flow, but you're right; the darkness was scrubbed for the masses.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #443 on: February 29, 2024, 08:56:06 AM »

Me too; I find it fascinating as well.  And that's a great description; they ACTED like rockstars, but the living conditions and pay... those guys were doing it for the love of the "game".  Kudos - I guess - to Vince McMahon for getting the money to flow, but you're right; the darkness was scrubbed for the masses.
The money flowed straight to Vince. While worker pay did increase, it was still a far cry from reasonable. The bennies are good IF you're working. The day you leave you're pretty much on your own. Wrestlers are independent contractors and will never be anything more. The only thing that changed is bad press from Chris Benoit forcing him to start taking drugs seriously, and CTE will eventually force another big spending program.

Some former wrestler, another guy I'd never heard of, Macy or something, has a YT channel where he provides a lot of the details on how the WWE really worked, and it was all pretty interesting. It wasn't a bad gig, but unless you're The Rock or Hulk Hogan it wasn't a great career.

And in many ways they really were rockstars. While I seriously doubt they were getting the quality of tail that David Lee Roth was, the quantity was still there.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: February 29, 2024, 07:16:02 PM »
Some former wrestler, another guy I'd never heard of, Macy or something, has a YT channel where he provides a lot of the details on how the WWE really worked, and it was all pretty interesting. It wasn't a bad gig, but unless you're The Rock or Hulk Hogan it wasn't a great career.

You probably mean Maven. He is an interesting case as he did not come up through normal channels but won their 1st Tough Enough competition. I was watching WWE at the time and thought he made the best of the incredible opportunity he was given. He has become a bit of a YT wrestling celebrity lately, I've heard good things about his channel. I've watched a few minutes of his videos here and there.

It was a lifestyle that's nearly incomprehensible to sane, rational people. It's like a bizarre combination of circus folk and rockstars. That fascinates me.

Well said.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #445 on: February 29, 2024, 08:12:58 PM »

You probably mean Maven. He is an interesting case as he did not come up through normal channels but won their 1st Tough Enough competition. I was watching WWE at the time and thought he made the best of the incredible opportunity he was given. He has become a bit of a YT wrestling celebrity lately, I've heard good things about his channel. I've watched a few minutes of his videos here and there.
Yeah, that's the guy. Kind of an effeminate fellow. The rest of the wrestlers kind of resented him for the way he came up. He was good enough that most of them came around. Most of what he's talking about was well after I'd lost interest, so outside of a few of the legendary guys not much of it rings with me, but he's nevertheless interesting when talking about the business side of things.

He made enough of the opportunity to establish himself, but not enough to keep from getting shitcanned. They fired him because they didn't think he was still trying to get better and figured he'd gone as far as he'd ever go (an assessment he agrees with, even if he regrets it).

Personally, I'd rather watch Gary Hart tell stories. He was everywhere for everything so he's got stories galore, and he's not bad at telling them. His stories about The Spoiler really cracked me up.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: February 29, 2024, 08:22:29 PM »
Personally, I'd rather watch Gary Hart tell stories. He was everywhere for everything so he's got stories galore, and he's not bad at telling them. His stories about The Spoiler really cracked me up.

Spent too many seconds trying to figure out why you brought up a politician in this thread...

I used to listen to Bruce Pritchard's podcast quite a bit but then I lost interest. I will still listen to Cornette talk about wrestling on occasion. There are few individuals I'd rather listen to talk about one topic than Cornette and wrestling.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #447 on: March 08, 2024, 06:38:03 AM »
Akira Toriyama, legendary mangaka, has passed away.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: March 08, 2024, 08:06:08 AM »
Steve Lawrence from Steve & Eydie has passed away.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/07/1236780408/steve-lawrence-singer-dies

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #449 on: March 08, 2024, 09:47:28 AM »

This one hit hard. A veritable legend of an entire industry.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #450 on: March 08, 2024, 11:57:36 AM »

This one hit hard. A veritable legend of an entire industry.
Is this the guy that created Dragon Ball?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #451 on: March 08, 2024, 12:12:31 PM »
Yeah, and Dr. Slump.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #452 on: March 08, 2024, 01:26:19 PM »
And did the character designs for all the Dragon Quest games, Chrono Trigger, among others.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #453 on: March 11, 2024, 10:15:32 PM »
Eric Carmen, 74, lead singer of The Raspberries and then had a successful solo career.

My wife is a pretty big fan, Very sad :(

https://abcnews.go.com/US/singer-eric-carmen-dies-74/story?id=108032890

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #454 on: March 12, 2024, 07:41:36 AM »
Eric Carmen, 74, lead singer of The Raspberries and then had a successful solo career.

My wife is a pretty big fan, Very sad :(

https://abcnews.go.com/US/singer-eric-carmen-dies-74/story?id=108032890
Oh wow.  RIP