Author Topic: Celebrity death thread  (Read 24010 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Celebrity death thread
« Reply #350 on: December 06, 2023, 12:16:55 PM »
This is a big one:

Norman Lear has passed at the age of 101.
Oh wow

RIP
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #351 on: December 06, 2023, 01:25:25 PM »
Dude's impact on television really cannot be overstated. While Mary Tyler Moore was quietly opening the door, he blew it off the wall Tony Montana style. That changed the entire mindset of TV programming in this country from trying to offend the least number of people with lots of rural stuff to making TV more representative of the times. I wasn't real crazy about most of his shows, but as someone who had to watch way too much Hee-Haw, I'm sure glad he came around.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #352 on: December 06, 2023, 03:03:24 PM »
Dude's impact on television really cannot be overstated. While Mary Tyler Moore was quietly opening the door, he blew it off the wall Tony Montana style. That changed the entire mindset of TV programming in this country from trying to offend the least number of people with lots of rural stuff to making TV more representative of the times. I wasn't real crazy about most of his shows, but as someone who had to watch way too much Hee-Haw, I'm sure glad he came around.

You never struck me as a Hee-Haw guy. :P :biggrin:

I grew up watching All in the Family, and it's still one of my favorite sitcoms ever (top 5 easy).

Online HOF

« Reply #353 on: December 06, 2023, 10:35:16 PM »
I have heard of April Wine, but I don't think I could name a song off the top of my head.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #354 on: December 07, 2023, 06:25:22 AM »

I'm pickin', and I'ma grinnin'!!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #355 on: December 07, 2023, 09:28:59 AM »
I have heard of April Wine, but I don't think I could name a song off the top of my head.

I remember in the early days of MTV, there was an April Wine video that used to run all the time (and which I believe was one of the first day videos).  Something about a Gypsy.  They never resonated with me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #356 on: December 07, 2023, 09:33:20 AM »

I remember in the early days of MTV, there was an April Wine video that used to run all the time (and which I believe was one of the first day videos).  Something about a Gypsy.  They never resonated with me.

Sign of the Gypsy Queen :2metal:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #357 on: December 07, 2023, 09:40:03 AM »
I mean, I liked Hee-Haw.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #358 on: December 07, 2023, 12:59:30 PM »
I mean, I liked Hee-Haw.

That's what she said.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #359 on: December 07, 2023, 01:19:20 PM »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #360 on: December 07, 2023, 03:36:37 PM »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #361 on: December 07, 2023, 08:44:10 PM »
Hee-Haw was awesome.  Roy Clark was a boss, and 99% of country girls are absolute babes.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #362 on: December 07, 2023, 09:25:36 PM »
Hee-Haw was awesome.  Roy Clark was a boss, and 99% of country girls are absolute babes.
This guy knows what's up.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #363 on: December 08, 2023, 12:47:13 PM »
Hee-Haw Honeys were the only reason to tune in.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: December 08, 2023, 01:01:52 PM »
That's why Roy Clark always had that big ole grin on his face!! (Seriously, though, that man could PLAY.)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #365 on: December 08, 2023, 02:13:28 PM »
That's why Roy Clark always had that big ole grin on his face!! (Seriously, though, that man could PLAY.)
I consider Roy Clark the very first shredder. He strikes me as the first guy to just go out and play hard for the sake of playing hard, song not required.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #366 on: December 08, 2023, 02:15:33 PM »
Brings back so many memories with my grandmother. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #367 on: December 08, 2023, 03:38:08 PM »
I consider Roy Clark the very first shredder. He strikes me as the first guy to just go out and play hard for the sake of playing hard, song not required.
Indeed, he was a stud. And he could play anything with strings.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #368 on: December 09, 2023, 06:56:20 AM »
Ryan O'Neal dead at 82.

And given my stance in the below thread, I'd be a hypocrite if I said anything else, so I won't.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52359.0

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #369 on: December 12, 2023, 08:45:13 PM »
Andre Braugher, gone at 61. Wow, loved his part on House when he was House's shrink. He will always be Captain Holt to me. 9-9!

https://deadline.com/2023/12/andre-braugher-dead-reactions-1235665592/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #370 on: December 12, 2023, 08:59:43 PM »
Andre Braugher, gone at 61. Wow, loved his part on House when he was House's shrink. He will always be Captain Holt to me. 9-9!

This one hurt. My wife and I are currently about half way through Brooklyn 99. My second time, her first time. Gonna make watching it now a bit hard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #371 on: December 12, 2023, 09:01:26 PM »
Yeah, this one sucks. I put on The Cage just now, a 99 classic.
Photobucket sucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #372 on: December 12, 2023, 10:27:37 PM »

As far as I know that's the only thing I've seen him in, but he was really great in that part.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #373 on: December 13, 2023, 03:49:34 AM »
Whaaaaat? this came suddenly..... shocking  :-[ :-[ :-[

This is so sad.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #374 on: December 13, 2023, 03:51:01 AM »
Goddamn, B99 was one of my favourite comedies of this decade and he was a huge part of that. Rest peacefully, Andre. You went too goddamn young.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: December 13, 2023, 04:07:19 AM »
Terrible loss. Way too young.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: December 13, 2023, 06:29:35 AM »
What a great actor.  He was one of those guys that always looked 44, no matter what age he actually was.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #377 on: December 13, 2023, 10:00:59 AM »
RIP Capt. Holt.  B99 is the only thing I've ever seen him in.  The first 5-6 seasons were absolutely awesome.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: December 13, 2023, 02:50:03 PM »

An absolutely fantastic actor.  He was in what my wife and I agree to as one of the ten best TV episodes ever, sitting comfortable alongside a couple each from ‘Breaking Bad’, 'The Wire', ‘The Sopranos’, 'Better Call Saul', and the finale of ‘Six Feet Under’.

He won two Emmys as Detective Frank Pembleton in ‘Homicide:  Life In The Streets’.  An incredibly intelligent, and at times overly arrogant homicide detective. I watched the show when I could when it first aired on Friday nights at 10pm.  My wife and I watched the entire series during the initial airings of 'The Wire', and watched it again over the last decade.  It was certainly ‘the best show that people didn’t see’, and, like ‘The Wire’, showed Baltimore, many warts and all.  Always loved the cross over 'Law & Order' episodes, especially Monch and Lenny.

The series itself became the first to win three Peabody Awards for excellence in broadcast television.  What a talented cast that show had throughout its run (from Season 5)

For the longest time, I had wanted to post the following in the 'Breaking Bad' thread, but never got around to it. Some should find it quite interesting.

1998, ‘Subway’, Season 6, Episode 4: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subway_(Homicide:_Life_on_the_Street)#:~:text=In%20the%20episode%2C%20John%20Lange,Lange%20in%20his%20final%20minutes.

The character played by Vincent D'Onofrio (Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Full Metal Jacket, Men In Black) ends up being trapped between a subway car and the platform.  The ebb and flow of the situation, dialogue, etc is spellbinding.  The victim is not a likeable or entirely sympathetic person.  And Pembleton opens up a personal side not shown during the prior years. The episode won a Peabody award, and received Emmy nominations for best script and best guest performance (D'Onofrio)

Episode influences  (Vince Gilligan, Bryan Cranston)
from wiki
"Vincent D'Onofrio's character in "Subway" partially inspired the creation of the antagonist played by Bryan Cranston in "Drive", a sixth season episode of The X-Files, which first aired on November 15, 1998. In the episode, Cranston's character is unpleasant and anti-semitic, but he is dying throughout the episode, and screenwriter Vince Gilligan intended for the audience to sympathize with him despite his unlikeable qualities. Gilligan said that this was influenced by "Subway", which he called an "amazing episode". He said of D'Onofio's character: "The brilliant thing they did in this episode, the thing that stuck with me, was this guy's an asshole, the guy really is unpleasant, and yet at the end (you) still feel his humanity." The casting of Cranston in this role directly led Gilligan to eventually cast him as the lead in his television series Breaking Bad."

We watched that episode some time around when we'd finally watched BB.  Worth checking out for the few that might not have been familiar with the story.

A few 'Homicide' episodes are available only on youtube.  This episode has one of those annoying 'reaction' cam shots available.  No streaming. A real frickin pity :tdwn  The only way to watch ‘Homicide’ is to purchase the DVDs or find a copy at your local library. Included with Season 6 was a PBS documentary about the writing and filming of ‘Subway’.  All are worth searching out.

Oh, and 'The Waterfront Bar' in the TV series is still open in Fells Point.

RIP, Mr. Brougher

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: December 14, 2023, 06:16:50 AM »
"Homicide" was an AMAZING show.  Really, really good stuff.  Thanks for the back-story tying it to "Breaking Bad" (I don't watch the "X-Files"); I remember that episode.  I'm a huge Vincent D'Onofrio fan.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: December 14, 2023, 07:13:50 AM »
Homicide was an amazing show.  Some great actors in that show.  Great writing as well.  Brooklyn Nine Nine is where my heart is with him.  For him to finally play a comedic role and how good he was in is blew m away.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #381 on: December 14, 2023, 10:16:28 AM »
I didn't realize that the Law & Order: SUV guy originated on Homicide.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: December 14, 2023, 10:23:48 AM »
I didn't realize that the Law & Order: SUV guy originated on Homicide.

Same character as well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #383 on: December 19, 2023, 05:03:20 PM »
We were just talking about the Innerview show in the Rush thread I think..

https://bravewords.com/news/jim-ladd-famed-l-a-disc-jockey-who-inspired-tom-petty-song-the-last-dj-dead-at-75
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #384 on: December 19, 2023, 05:09:06 PM »
Jim Ladd was awesome.  An absolute boss and a legend.  I haven't listened to music on the radio in a LONG time, but he will always be #1.