Author Topic: Celebrity death thread  (Read 22897 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Celebrity death thread
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2023, 05:51:46 PM »
Sorry to hear about Lance Reddick .  I'm not much of a TV watcher but did follow Fringe and Bosch and he was a key to both series - amazing screen presence as others have noted.  :sad:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2023, 06:00:56 PM »
Sorry to hear about Lance Reddick .  I'm not much of a TV watcher but did follow Fringe and Bosch and he was a key to both series - amazing screen presence as others have noted.  :sad:

Jeez, I never heard of him or these two tv shows!  60 though is so young.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2023, 10:40:53 PM »
RIP Lance Reddick
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2023, 01:07:51 AM »
Man, loved him in the Wire and several videogames (namely Horizon). RIP.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2023, 01:29:33 PM »
Willis Reed, 80.

Knicks Captain.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2023, 01:49:56 PM »
Willis Reed, 80.

Knicks Captain.
RIP for sure, but honestly, I thought he had died several years ago.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2023, 02:19:49 PM »
Willis Reed, 80.

Knicks Captain.
RIP for sure, but honestly, I thought he had died several years ago.

I'm reading the Steve Lukather autobiography and he talked about his good friend Miguel Ferrar passing from cancer, and I was like... he's gone? Wha?  When?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2023, 05:42:19 PM »
I'm reading the Steve Lukather autobiography and he talked about his good friend Miguel Ferrar passing from cancer, and I was like... he's gone? Wha?  When?

If I recall correctly, he was sick when they worked on the 3rd season of Twin Peaks a few years ago, but he toughed it out to let us all enjoy the wit and wisdom of Albert Rosenfeld one final time, and he died shortly after filming.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2023, 07:14:01 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2023, 07:17:14 PM »
Oh snap. I read about the hemorrhage but he was still alive last I checked. Damn.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2023, 03:33:00 AM »
Keith Reid, the lyricist for Procol Harum, has passed away. He wrote almost all their lyrics.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/mar/30/keith-reid-lyricist-for-procol-harum-dies-aged-76
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2023, 06:58:15 AM »
Seymour Stein, Record Label Executive and founder of Sire Records, 80.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/obituaries/seymour-stein-record-exec-signed-madonna-dead-80-rcna77854

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2023, 09:09:05 AM »
Belafonte did a lot of civil rights work.  Honestly, I never cared very much for him as an actor.

Also honestly, I thought he was already dead.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2023, 08:57:39 PM »
Belafonte did a lot of civil rights work.  Honestly, I never cared very much for him as an actor.

Also honestly, I thought he was already dead.

I was listening to a bit about him on the radio yesterday, and his classmates in an acting workshop in his early career were Tony Curtis, Walter Matheau, Bea Arthur, Sidney Portier, and Marlon Brando. Jfc man....

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2023, 08:42:40 AM »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2023, 08:44:55 AM »
Wow... Didn't see that one coming.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2023, 08:53:13 AM »
79; my brother met him a couple times (he lived in Sarasota), said he was the nicest, humblest guy on the planet. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2023, 08:36:18 PM »
79; my brother met him a couple times (he lived in Sarasota), said he was the nicest, humblest guy on the planet.

Doesn't surprise me a bit... I always felt the real Jerry was less of the shit show guests he had, and more of his final thought segment

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2023, 11:28:47 PM »
not really a highly known celebrity, but someone who was known among the Prog Rock and Chapman Stick, and Dave Mathews Band fans communities,

Greg Howard, 59

https://snbc13.com/greg-howard-charlottesville-va-well-known-stick-musician-died-from-pancreatic-cancer-death-obituary/

this is really sad. I saw him at Nearfest in 2001, then opening for Tim Reynolds later that year in Minneapolis, and then opening for Porcupine Tree a year in Milwaukee.

I remember him kindly giving me a copy of his "Water on the Moon" CD for my radio show on KFAI.

Fantastic Chapman Stick player, and only 59?..way too young.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2023, 12:15:33 PM »
The local legend Mike Shannon, the longtime announcer for the St Louis Cardinals, has passed.

Back when I cared about baseball, he had more memorable calls than I can count.

R.I.P.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2023, 01:41:26 PM »
The local legend Mike Shannon, the longtime announcer for the St Louis Cardinals, has passed.

Back when I cared about baseball, he had more memorable calls than I can count.

R.I.P.

Saw that. He was an iconic figure in St. Louis baseball for sure.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2023, 09:02:15 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2023, 03:57:22 AM »
That's a legendary loss right there.  He was basically the Canadian Bob Dylan.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2023, 06:34:29 AM »
Big loss; "Sundown" is a legendary tune, and "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" was a song that my stepson and I were able to bond over (he's on the spectrum and went through a ship/shipwreck phase).   

Offline romdrums

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2023, 03:33:25 PM »
That's a legendary loss right there.  He was basically the Canadian Bob Dylan.

Having lived all but a few years of my life in the Great Lakes Region of the US, he got a ton of airplay around here as well.  The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is one of those "I remember doing X when I heard the news" moments in our regional history.  Besides the song, I remember seeing a play about it at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp in high school, and I think there's also a classical piece about it as well.  Great Lakes Brewing Co. makes an Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.  My Dad was obsessed with the story.  I think, if he had been independently wealthy, he would have funded some of the expeditions to go down to the wreckage! 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2023, 03:56:42 PM »
Big loss; "Sundown" is a legendary tune, and "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" was a song that my stepson and I were able to bond over (he's on the spectrum and went through a ship/shipwreck phase).

Interesting. My son had a Titanic fetish. Still kind of does.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2023, 05:50:28 AM »

Same here!  He and I went down to NYC to see a Titanic exhibit in November of last year.  It was pretty cool.

Funny story: Titanic is my daughter's favorite movie, so one day a couple years ago (he had to be about 8 or so) my stepson says to her "Hey, do you want to watch Titanic with me?" and she was all fired up to have something in common to share.  She gets some popcorn, puts the movie on... and my stepson proceeds to fast forward through every scene with Leo and Kate.  All he wanted to see were the scenes after they hit the iceberg!  They made it through the entire movie in about 45 minutes.  :)   We laugh about it now.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2023, 08:10:38 AM »

Same here!  He and I went down to NYC to see a Titanic exhibit in November of last year.  It was pretty cool.

Funny story: Titanic is my daughter's favorite movie, so one day a couple years ago (he had to be about 8 or so) my stepson says to her "Hey, do you want to watch Titanic with me?" and she was all fired up to have something in common to share.  She gets some popcorn, puts the movie on... and my stepson proceeds to fast forward through every scene with Leo and Kate.  All he wanted to see were the scenes after they hit the iceberg!  They made it through the entire movie in about 45 minutes.  :)   We laugh about it now.
There's actually a fan-edit that does that. I think it's called "The Historical Edition." Knocks it down to about an hour-ten.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2023, 08:34:02 AM »

There's actually a fan-edit that does that. I think it's called "The Historical Edition." Knocks it down to about an hour-ten.

I definitely have a Titanic fetish  :lol I first took a liking to it when I was about 6, and when the movie came out when I was in 3rd grade, I was hooked. I even wrote a poem about it in 5th grade that got published in some national poems book.

That NYC exhibit was pretty cool, but I'd argue it was more of a White Star Line/Olympic Class exhibit more than a Titanic one. I love all of that stuff though, so I didn't care, but I know a handful of people that reviewed it poorly because they felt like it was misrepresented. They were expecting tons of artifacts that were lifted from the wreck itself, not just a few items pulled off bodies that were found or heirlooms that were donated by the decedents of survivors. There's actually a huge exhibit out in Vegas (at the Luxor I believe) that features all of that stuff. I wish I had known that was out there the five times I went between 2016 and 2020.

To the movie:

I used to dislike the love story aspect to Cameron's film, but I've come to really appreciate it as I've grown older. Not only have I come to like it, but I think it was necessary to give us an un-forced tour of the ship in under 3 hours while also acting as perfect mechanism to properly highlight the class differences of the time, both on the ship itself and in general culture.   

There's a movie from the 1950 called A Night To Remember that's really phenomenal. It's a Titanic movie that was every bit as big of a production at the time as Cameron's version was. Cameron actually incorporated a number of intentional calls/nods to that film, some shots being almost 1:1 colorized recreations. Fun fact, the guy who played Archibald Gracie in Cameron's Titanic also played Frederick Fleet (guy who spotted the iceberg) in the ANTR. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Offline HOF

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2023, 01:18:16 PM »
A celebrity so minor I didn’t even know his name before today, but I think many of us have heard his work and I’m a little surprised I wasn’t more familiar with him until now.

John Giblin played bass for Simple Minds but also played on In The Air Tonight and other tracks by Phil Collins, as well as several other songs by Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Sting, Fish, Mark Knopfler, etc. He apparently played on the song “Chalk Lines” for Randy McStine’s Lo-Fi Fidelity project, which is an awesome song (I only have that on download so wasn’t familiar with the personnel). Anyway, can’t even find a news article about it, just mentions by people in the circles he played on. Kind of sad when someone who contributed to so much music passes in obscurity.

https://www.genesis-news.com/news-John-Giblin-has-died-n875.html

https://www.katebushnews.com/2023/05/16/remembering-bassist-john-giblin/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 01:31:32 PM by HOF »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2023, 01:06:26 AM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2023, 02:13:22 PM »
Jim Brown

NFL Legend, Actor and Social Activist.

Arguably the greatest and most dominant Running Back in the History of American Football.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2023, 04:20:15 PM »
Had no idea he was still alive.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung