Author Topic: Celebrity death thread  (Read 24014 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Celebrity death thread
« Reply #490 on: April 11, 2024, 09:13:25 AM »
It's a shame he never found the real killer. He was our best hope.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #491 on: April 11, 2024, 09:24:52 AM »

The 30 for 30 series on OJ was fantastic, and in the final episode, his former agent said that some time after the verdict, he was sitting on OJ's patio with OJ, and he asked him "OJ, what happened that night?"

OJ's response was "If she didn't come to the door while holding a knife, she'd still be alive."  I know that's anecdotal, but to me, that's as full of a confession as anyone will ever get. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #492 on: April 11, 2024, 09:50:43 AM »
CNN is running this one into the ground already...1.5 hours and counting. One thing I know for sure now, Wolf Blitzer is definitely a Bills fan, as he's said the phrase "My Buffalo Bills" like 50 times already.

It is interesting to hear the reflections on how impactful that case was in so many ways...true crime drama was cued up there. Forensic drama was cued up there. Court drama was cued up there. We were all enthralled with it for months on end. When Furman was exposed as a racist POS, the LAPD was further exposed, and those repurcussions still echo I'd imagine.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #493 on: April 11, 2024, 09:55:55 AM »
CNN is running this one into the ground already...1.5 hours and counting. One thing I know for sure now, Wolf Blitzer is definitely a Bills fan, as he's said the phrase "My Buffalo Bills" like 50 times already.

It is interesting to hear the reflections on how impactful that case was in so many ways...true crime drama was cued up there. Forensic drama was cued up there. Court drama was cued up there. We were all enthralled with it for months on end. When Furman was exposed as a racist POS, the LAPD was further exposed, and those repurcussions still echo I'd imagine.
In some ways, several actually, I'd consider it the beginning of the end for America. For one it's when context became irrelevant. For another it's when we learned to disregard science when we don't like what it tells us. Mostly it's when we turned criminal justice into tabloid entertainment for the masses. I'm sure all of this was happening to a certain extent before, but this is what caused it all to become the mainstream. What we're seeing now is the evolution of these things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #494 on: April 11, 2024, 10:03:09 AM »
In some ways, several actually, I'd consider it the beginning of the end for America. For one it's when context became irrelevant. For another it's when we learned to disregard science when we don't like what it tells us. Mostly it's when we turned criminal justice into tabloid entertainment for the masses. I'm sure all of this was happening to a certain extent before, but this is what caused it all to become the mainstream. What we're seeing now is the evolution of these things.

That'd make for a good doctoral thesis in sociology I'd bet.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #495 on: April 11, 2024, 10:10:02 AM »
I really wish Norm Macdonald was still with us right about now
:lol

Well, I guess we don't normally see "lol" reactions in this thread, but that one was warranted.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #496 on: April 11, 2024, 10:14:32 AM »
First thing I did when I found out is go to YouTube to watch Norm's super cut of OJ jokes.  :rollin :lol :lol
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #497 on: April 11, 2024, 10:27:03 AM »
To me he'll always be Nordberg in the Naked Gun movies.

I think it's important to separate the art from the artist, though I have to admit that O.J. challenged that about as much as anyone.  That said, I thought he was fine in the Naked Gun movies.  Always got a chuckle or two out of me.

As for what he's more well-known for now?  Don't know, and don't care.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #498 on: April 11, 2024, 11:32:09 AM »

I second this.  I would also add that it's one of the first times that "we" decided that "race" trumps everything, including truth, and including justice for the innocent victims of a senseless slaughter.  Much of the post-trial interviews with the jurors showed a distinct awareness of what was done in that court room and while it was called "justice" (at the time; several have walked back their positions) it wasn't the justice that was specifically asked for in the court room, or that the prosecutors were seeking.

From that point on, it was easy for all of us (and by the way this was reinforced by Bill Clinton a few years later) to say "that law doesn't apply to me" because "reasons".   I didn't phrase it that way then, but it was also the genesis of my idea that "when everyone has a story, no one has a story".   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #499 on: April 11, 2024, 11:54:29 AM »
Wow...I lived all this in real time.

The murder of Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman happened just a couple years after the L.A. riots, and the trial lasted over 8 months.  Jim Rome in particular was all over the trial.  I can distinctly remember the verdict coming down, and then, barely 15 months later, the civil suit was decided against OJ.

When I was clerking during the summer between my 2nd and 3rd years of law school, I found out that the firm where I was working had represented the Goldman family, and one of the more interesting lunch presentations given to us during that summer was by Dan Petrocelli, the lead trial counsel.  He walked us through his strategy, making it clear that the ability to depose OJ (which obviously didn't exist in the criminal case), coupled with OJ's arrogance, was the key to the victory (Petrocelli wrote a book about the case, and we all got autographed copies).  When I started working at the firm after law school, I pulled up some of the documents on our system.  A lawyer down the hall from me had OJ's golf clubs sitting in his office (I can't remember why).  Eventually, responsibility for trying to collect on the judgment was transferred to a different firm.  It was frustrating because OJ's NFL pension couldn't be touched, and he was able to use that money to buy a home in Florida which, because Florida is a haven for deadbeats, also couldn't be touched.  California's post-judgment interest rate is 10% per year, so the judgment doubled every 10 years, so it's probably around $200 million at this point (the most significant recovery was from the sale of OJ's Heisman trophy).  Hopefully, some decent $$ will come from his estate.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #500 on: April 11, 2024, 01:30:51 PM »
My family had planned a vacation to LA in July of 1995 - just our annual summer vacation.  Go to Disneyland, see the Hollywood sign, the Chinese Theater, Beverly Hills (MICHAEL JACKSON CAN VISIT BEVERLY HILLS, AS LONG AS HE DOESN'T STAY AT THE BEVERLY HILLS HOTEL!) then drive to San Francisco up the pacific coast.  As the trial went on, my parents considered cancelling the vacation, as they did not want to bring their kids anywhere near LA depending on when a verdict could be announced.

When we were in LA, my dad drove to the Bundy Drive residence, where the murders occurred.  The street was blocked off, but we walked around the barricades and saw the residence and took some quick pictures.  A cop was parked down the street to deter people just like us, and he got out and told us we had to leave.  My dad did the "oh, I'm sorry, I'm from Illinois and we didn't know we couldn't go up the street" routine and the cop let us drive off. 

I think we still have a picture somewhere of my brother pretending to throw something in the garbage can or hop over the fence (like what Kato Kaelin) heard. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: April 11, 2024, 01:39:09 PM »
When I went there the residence was already demolished.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #503 on: April 11, 2024, 02:21:45 PM »
My family had planned a vacation to LA in July of 1995 - just our annual summer vacation.  Go to Disneyland, see the Hollywood sign, the Chinese Theater, Beverly Hills (MICHAEL JACKSON CAN VISIT BEVERLY HILLS, AS LONG AS HE DOESN'T STAY AT THE BEVERLY HILLS HOTEL!) then drive to San Francisco up the pacific coast.  As the trial went on, my parents considered cancelling the vacation, as they did not want to bring their kids anywhere near LA depending on when a verdict could be announced.
:lol

I actually liked stealing the mansion in BC2 even better. "There aren't supposed to be any right angles!"
E.F. Benson

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: April 11, 2024, 07:30:03 PM »
Interesting story, Paul.

'Naked Gun':  I loved the 'Police Squad' TV series, and this fogey went to the theater for all three releases. So many laugh out loud stupid but clever moments.  Haven't seen them since (sigh).

Oh,  'The Chase' and the NBA Finals, Game 5 (snippets)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr97xP1sGOY

OJ:  he had the LAPD and the brutal beating of Rodney King to thank for his verdict.  And the color 'green' $$$$$  Finally got some of what he deserved later on.

Still amazed he never found the killer on any Florida golf course....
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: April 11, 2024, 08:19:14 PM »
I didn't actively follow the trial, but I do remember watching that NBA game when they cut in with the Bronco chase, and ultimately being disappointed that nothing went down when they finally met up with him and he surrendered. I also remember being in line at the college cafeteria when some guy came in and told his buddies "The juice is loose!" when the verdict came down. Strange the things that stand out in your mind so many years later.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: April 11, 2024, 09:19:06 PM »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: April 11, 2024, 09:20:06 PM »
I didn't actively follow the trial, but I do remember watching that NBA game when they cut in with the Bronco chase, and ultimately being disappointed that nothing went down when they finally met up with him and he surrendered. I also remember being in line at the college cafeteria when some guy came in and told his buddies "The juice is loose!" when the verdict came down. Strange the things that stand out in your mind so many years later.

I'm 37 but some of my earliest memories are of that trial and watching it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #509 on: April 11, 2024, 10:05:21 PM »
I didn't actively follow the trial, but I do remember watching that NBA game when they cut in with the Bronco chase, and ultimately being disappointed that nothing went down when they finally met up with him and he surrendered.
I see OJ man and...he LOOKS scared!  :rollin

We caught that live and really cracked up. Perhaps the high point of the whole shebang.

I also remember being in line at the college cafeteria when some guy came in and told his buddies "The juice is loose!" when the verdict came down. Strange the things that stand out in your mind so many years later.
Yeah, I had nightschool that night, and I sure as shit stayed home. Partly because I was pissed off about it, and mostly because I didn't want to be around a bunch of people celebrating that being black is a justification for murder. 

E.F. Benson

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: April 12, 2024, 12:00:48 AM »

I was a little too young around that time to know anything about it, and I'm sure it didn't get nearly as much coverage here in Sweden as in the US. I only know a little bit about it from bits and pieces here and there.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #511 on: April 12, 2024, 06:44:27 AM »
Most of you have probably already watched The People v. O.J. Simpson from a few years ago.  The cast was great with Cuba Gooding, John Travolta, Sarah Paulson, Nathan Lane and others.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: April 12, 2024, 07:11:16 AM »
That was pretty good.  For my money, the book Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O. J. Simpson Got Away with Murder by Vincent Bugliosi is MUST READING for the trial mechanics of the case.  Though if you're a friend or family member with Ito, or any of the lawyers (on either side) you might be offended! :)

That was an easily winnable case, and not only did the prosecution make mistakes, but so did the defense; the difference was, the defense took advantage of the other sides' mistakes and the prosecution did not.  I'm oversimplifying a bit, but it's fascinating to me how Bugliosi paints a scenario where the prosecution could have actually used the defense's argument (regarding DNA) to MAKE the case, if they were smart and savvy enough.  They weren't.

Offline emtee

« Reply #513 on: April 12, 2024, 07:22:40 AM »
Spot on observations by EB, Stads and others. This was a distinct turning point in this country and viewed almost solely, and one hundred and eighty degrees differently by race. Before this it felt like we were slowly but steadily moving towards a more united goal of equality. And then the shit hit the fan and this country became divided to an extreme.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #514 on: April 12, 2024, 09:45:25 AM »
That was pretty good.  For my money, the book Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O. J. Simpson Got Away with Murder by Vincent Bugliosi is MUST READING for the trial mechanics of the case.  Though if you're a friend or family member with Ito, or any of the lawyers (on either side) you might be offended! :)

That was an easily winnable case, and not only did the prosecution make mistakes, but so did the defense; the difference was, the defense took advantage of the other sides' mistakes and the prosecution did not.  I'm oversimplifying a bit, but it's fascinating to me how Bugliosi paints a scenario where the prosecution could have actually used the defense's argument (regarding DNA) to MAKE the case, if they were smart and savvy enough.  They weren't.

Perhaps the biggest mistake the prosecution made was filing the case in downtown L.A. - with it's FAR more diverse jury pool - than in Santa Monica.  Part of the reason they did that was because of safety issues with the Santa Monica courthouse following the Northridge earthquake a year earlier.  Lance Ito was a horrible judge, and the gap between district attorneys and high-priced defense attorneys was never more evident.  While Gil Garcetti (who wasn't involved in the trial on a day-to-day basis), Marcia Clark and Chris Darden (as well as William Hodgman, whom Darden replaced) were all experienced prosecutors, they weren't on anywhere near the same level as the defense team.  FFS, the prosecution allowed a former member of the Black Panther party to be on the jury, and that guy gave Simpson a "black power" fist salute after the verdict was read!

Spot on observations by EB, Stads and others. This was a distinct turning point in this country and viewed almost solely, and one hundred and eighty degrees differently by race. Before this it felt like we were slowly but steadily moving towards a more united goal of equality. And then the shit hit the fan and this country became divided to an extreme.

We were three years removed from the L.A. riots, and the police presence motivated by a fear of a repeat of that (had Simpson been convicted) was off the charts.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #515 on: April 12, 2024, 06:01:35 PM »

Same here, I remember it being such a thing but not fully understanding at that time.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #516 on: April 12, 2024, 06:04:47 PM »
Reap was 8 years old.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #517 on: April 12, 2024, 06:49:54 PM »
How old was I?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #518 on: April 12, 2024, 07:01:14 PM »
Would’ve been fantastic if he left a sealed envelope with his lawyer only to be opened after his death that just said “Yea, I did it”
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: April 12, 2024, 07:18:56 PM »

I had meant to grab that book when it came out. I had recently read Helter Skelter and found it a fascinating read, and in interviews he was so adamant about the points he makes in the book, I figured he must be on to something. I never did, however.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: April 13, 2024, 06:45:36 AM »
Would’ve been fantastic if he left a sealed envelope with his lawyer only to be opened after his death that just said “Yea, I did it”

I should reach out to my old high school health teacher, she was friends with the juice

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #521 on: April 13, 2024, 07:17:09 AM »
I remember being a kid and being so pissed when my afternoon Power Rangers watching would get pre-empted by trial news updates :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #522 on: April 18, 2024, 12:04:34 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: April 18, 2024, 12:07:45 PM »
RIP Dickey Betts, from the Allman Brothers Band

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/dickey-betts-allman-brothers-band-dead-727523/

Some of the best concerts I've ever been to were the Allman's with Dickie and Warren Haynes. 

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #524 on: April 18, 2024, 12:27:13 PM »
Damn, RIP to a real one. Is he the last original Allman to go?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!