Author Topic: Celebrity death thread  (Read 23491 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Celebrity death thread
« Reply #210 on: August 26, 2023, 07:54:13 PM »
Staying home sick from school was made better by TPIR.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #211 on: August 27, 2023, 01:18:45 PM »
I remember Bob Barker from Truth or Consequences back in the 70's.  R.I.P.  :(

You met him as a child in a small town in southern New Mexico?  :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #212 on: August 27, 2023, 03:49:53 PM »
In a manner of speaking, yes.  I mean, no.  Well, yes and no.  The town was named after the radio show, which led to the TV show, which is what I grew up watching.

And I realize you were making a joke, but I knew I was missing something so I looked it up and figured I'd share it here anyway.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2023, 04:24:04 PM »
R.I.P Arleen Sorkin the inspiration for and the original voice of Harley Quinn
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2023, 06:16:35 AM »
I remember Bob Barker from Truth or Consequences back in the 70's.  R.I.P.  :(

You met him as a child in a small town in southern New Mexico?  :biggrin:

Hahaha, that's funny.  :)

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2023, 05:11:53 PM »
In a manner of speaking, yes.  I mean, no.  Well, yes and no.  The town was named after the radio show, which led to the TV show, which is what I grew up watching.

And I realize you were making a joke, but I knew I was missing something so I looked it up and figured I'd share it here anyway.

I was trying to have fun with it, yes. No insensitivity to his passing meant.

I remember the show...I also grew up with it. My parents used to watch it..... and To Tell the Truth, on a regular basis.

Offline HOF

« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2023, 10:21:39 PM »
Bob Barker, 99.

One of a kind. He lived a full life.

For some reason I thought he passed a while back? I saw someone else mention this today and didn’t investigate because I thought it wasn’t real. Haven’t seen any media coverage of it.

Price is Right was definitely a big part of my childhood. Summer vacation meant lots of Price is Right LOL.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #217 on: August 29, 2023, 06:53:57 AM »
We will occasionally watch the Price is Right channel on Pluto for several episodes.  It just shows old late-70s/early to mid-80s episodes with Bob Barker.  It's a trip.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #218 on: August 29, 2023, 07:58:26 AM »
We will occasionally watch the Price is Right channel on Pluto for several episodes. 

Wouldn’t it be easier to just watch it on Earth?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #219 on: August 29, 2023, 08:10:03 AM »
We will occasionally watch the Price is Right channel on Pluto for several episodes. 

Wouldn’t it be easier to just watch it on Earth?
Listen here, motherfucker
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2023, 08:18:06 AM »
Bob Barker, 99.

One of a kind. He lived a full life.

For some reason I thought he passed a while back? I saw someone else mention this today and didn’t investigate because I thought it wasn’t real. Haven’t seen any media coverage of it.

Price is Right was definitely a big part of my childhood. Summer vacation meant lots of Price is Right LOL.

Funny enough, that was my reaction.  "Didn't he die a while ago?"

Offline Buckeye69

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #222 on: September 02, 2023, 06:12:54 AM »
RIP indeed.

His sister owns a restaurant in Gulf Shores, Alabama. My family ate there once in I think ‘06, and he came by and went around table to table saying hi to people. Nice guy. Hope he found his lost shaker of salt.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #223 on: September 02, 2023, 12:14:39 PM »
his music touched the hearts of millions across generations.

jimmy's journey began in pascagoula, mississippi, in 1946. from humble beginnings, he grew to become a musical icon whose songs captured the essence of coastal living and a laid-back lifestyle. his melodies transported us to a world of endless summer days, white sandy beaches, and cool breezes. throughout his career, jimmy released hit after hit, each one a testament to his talent for storytelling. "margaritaville," "cheeseburger in paradise," and "changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes" are just a few of the classics that will forever be etched in our hearts.

jimmy's music wasn't just about catchy tunes; it was about escapism, celebrating life's simple pleasures, and embracing the idea that sometimes, it's okay to slow down and savor the moment. he was not just a musician; he was a way of life.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 01:09:43 PM by TheHoveringSojourn808 »
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2023, 09:38:47 AM »
Steve Harwell (singer of Smash Mouth) died. Just read yesterday he was on hospice care and didn’t have much time left.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #225 on: September 04, 2023, 10:37:23 AM »
Yeah, saw that...liver failure from chronic alcoholism, just a relentless disease. Rest in peace man.

« Reply #226 on: September 04, 2023, 11:02:09 AM »
damn, this one hurts!

steve harwell leaves behind a legacy that will endure for generations. his music will continue to bring joy to countless people, and his memory will live on in the hearts of fans worldwide. he is survived by his family, friends, and the bandmates who shared the stage and created timeless music with him.

as we mourn the loss of this musical legend, let us remember the joy he brought into our lives through his music and the kindness he showed to everyone he met. rest in peace, steve harwell, and thank you for the unforgettable music and memories.  :hat
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #227 on: September 04, 2023, 11:24:14 AM »
oh man, hearing about steve harwell from smash mouth passing away really hit home. even though their music wasn't my usual jam, they had a big impact on american culture, especially through "shrek." watching that movie with my kids and hearing "all star" always brought smiles to our faces. it's funny how music can create those special memories. steve, you may not have been my go-to, but you left a mark, and i'll remember those shrek moments fondly. :heart
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: September 05, 2023, 06:40:33 AM »
You know, I don't think I've ever purposefully sat down and put on a Jimmy Buffett album, but he transcended that.  I have his greatest hits, and I have a live at Fenway Park album that is KILLER (he always did great live covers, IMO).  I've seen him several times and every time was a treat and a fun day out.   Everything I look for in a concert experience, frankly.

I don't know that "miss" is the right word for me, but I do know that I wish there was more of "him" - positivity, fun, camaraderie, community - in music today. 

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #229 on: September 05, 2023, 07:23:38 AM »
Steve Harwell and Jimmy Buffet, under moon's soft light,
Two ships passing in the night, on oceans of sound they'd write.
One rocked with "All Star" so bright, the other sang of paradise,
Their music, like stars alight, in different musical skies.

Harwell's voice, a powerful might, in Smash Mouth's catchy tune,
Buffet's tales of island life, beneath the sun and moon.
Though different paths they'd invite, their melodies took flight,
Two captains, so distinct, on separate seas of delight.
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #230 on: September 05, 2023, 07:28:37 AM »
Very sad about Jimmy Buffett.  He was one of my first "favorite" music stars.  I've read his books, and seen him live.  Just love him to pieces.

He also had one of my favorite live albums of all time, as far as capturing the electricity of live performance and interaction between performer and audience.  It's from the 70s, before he became HUGE, and it's called You Had to Be There.  If you already know you don't like his stuff, it probably wouldn't change your mind, but it's just great.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: September 05, 2023, 07:37:52 AM »
He is one of those musicians whose name I've heard from time to time over the years, but haven't heard a single song from. Not even his biggest (?) song, Margaritaville. And I'm a big "classic rock" guy.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #232 on: September 05, 2023, 07:40:46 AM »
He is one of those musicians whose name I've heard from time to time over the years, but haven't heard a single song from. Not even his biggest (?) song, Margaritaville. And I'm a big "classic rock" guy.
I wouldn't consider him classic rock.  Not really.  He was his own genre.

Closest category would be singer/songwriter, I guess, but definitely different than the usual suspects there (Dylan, James Taylor, Carol King, etc).  More lowbrow than them, always a nautical theme.  I can't see Bob Dylan writing a song called "Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw?"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: September 05, 2023, 07:57:46 AM »

Closest category would be singer/songwriter, I guess, but definitely different than the usual suspects there (Dylan, James Taylor, Carol King, etc).  More lowbrow than them, always a nautical theme.  I can't see Bob Dylan writing a song called "Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw?"

He had his moments though; "Son of a Son of a Sailor" though still nautical, is a beautiful song.  He walked that line that a lot of artists do; he knew what buttered his bread - WDWGDAS, Fins, Volcano, Margueritaville - but he was more than that, and he was NOT a novelty act.  "One Particular Harbour" is another with a broader meaning.   

« Reply #234 on: September 05, 2023, 08:05:44 AM »
jimmy buffet was my dad
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: September 05, 2023, 08:17:04 AM »
jimmy buffet was my dad

So you're the son of a son of a son of a sailor?

« Reply #236 on: September 05, 2023, 08:17:44 AM »
jimmy buffet was my dad

So you're the son of a son of a son of a sailor?

that's right
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #237 on: September 05, 2023, 09:18:14 AM »

He had his moments though; "Son of a Son of a Sailor" though still nautical, is a beautiful song.  He walked that line that a lot of artists do; he knew what buttered his bread - WDWGDAS, Fins, Volcano, Margueritaville - but he was more than that, and he was NOT a novelty act.  "One Particular Harbour" is another with a broader meaning.   
Very true, and One Particular Harbor is one of my faves.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #238 on: September 05, 2023, 09:32:49 AM »

I first heard Margaritaville about 20-25 years ago when my wife and I were in Austin, TX for her cousin's wedding.  The bride's parents (my wife's uncle and aunt) took us out bar hopping on 6th Street (although we probably only went to 1-2 places), and there was some guy with a piano or acoustic guitar (I can't remember which) playing cover songs.  He did an audience participation segment.  I'll never forget that song for that reason.  If I've ever heard another song by him, I don't know it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: September 05, 2023, 09:57:48 AM »
Arguably, because of the covers/duets he did with the song, "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" is probably as well known.  The duet with Alan Jackson was pretty big.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #240 on: September 05, 2023, 10:04:09 AM »
I know he did a song with Zac Brown Band called Knee Deep and it's an island song.  It was all right.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #241 on: September 06, 2023, 05:16:26 PM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: September 07, 2023, 05:48:04 AM »
Gary Wright, singer of “Dream Weaver” has passed….

https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/gary-wright-dead-dream-weaver-singer-dies-1235406056/

Love that song and "Love Is Alive".  Quintessental '70s rock sound.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: September 25, 2023, 07:53:21 PM »
David McCallum passed away at the age of 90. He was best known for his roles in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and NICS, though my introduction to him was as Ashely-Pitt 'Dispersal' in The Great Escape. I never watched The Man From U.N.C.L.E. but was a huge fan of NICS in the early days (I stopped watching around season 7 maybe) and he was an integral part of that cast and the show's appeal for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #244 on: September 25, 2023, 07:55:39 PM »
I vaguely remember The Man from U.N.C.L.E. from my childhood, but I was much more familiar with Dr. Mallard a.k.a. "Ducky".