Author Topic: Celebrity death thread  (Read 23414 times)

Online faizoff

Re: Celebrity death thread
« Reply #175 on: August 04, 2023, 12:50:37 PM »
I was doing a re-watch of all Aronofsky movies and he's in all but the last two in some role or the other. Always strange to see him in other normal roles. RIP Hector
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #176 on: August 04, 2023, 02:07:17 PM »
RIP Mark Margolis. Hector Salamanca from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/mark-margolis-dead-breaking-bad-better-call-saul-1235551107/

Last chance to look at me Hector  :'(
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #177 on: August 04, 2023, 03:35:48 PM »

Interesting thing to ponder which of the two characters were scarier. Hector was certainly violent and ruthless, but the same could be said of Albert. The fact that neither had any qualms about killing innocent bystanders says a lot about them. The key difference is that one of them was over the top violent and the other was quiet and methodical. I'd probably go with Hector simply because the odds of running afoul of him are higher, but they were both really bad people.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2023, 12:01:10 PM »
William Friedkin has left the building. Most famous for The Exorcist and The French Connection, there were better films I remember him for. He made a wonderful remake of 12 Angry Men with Jack Lemon and George C Scott that was on par with the original. He also made one of the best car chases of all time (not The French Connection). The car chase in To Live and Die in LA tops my list because there's so much going on. They're in way over their head, and nobody knows how much and why. One of them is an adrenaline junky and the other is sobbing in the back seat scared shitless. There are actually 3 groups in the car chase and nobody knows who anybody is. I'd link to the video, but without a few minutes of context it'd lose much of it's greatness. It's a good movie, and worth seeing even if for nothing more than to see that chase sequence.

In any case, helluva director. I've long admired the guy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online faizoff

« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2023, 01:09:08 PM »
William Friedkin has left the building. Most famous for The Exorcist and The French Connection, there were better films I remember him for. He made a wonderful remake of 12 Angry Men with Jack Lemon and George C Scott that was on par with the original. He also made one of the best car chases of all time (not The French Connection). The car chase in To Live and Die in LA tops my list because there's so much going on. They're in way over their head, and nobody knows how much and why. One of them is an adrenaline junky and the other is sobbing in the back seat scared shitless. There are actually 3 groups in the car chase and nobody knows who anybody is. I'd link to the video, but without a few minutes of context it'd lose much of it's greatness. It's a good movie, and worth seeing even if for nothing more than to see that chase sequence.

In any case, helluva director. I've long admired the guy.

Strangely Exorcist and French Connection are the only two movies of his that I've seen. Going to track down To Live and Die in LA. I remember you mentioning that car chase being superior to the one in FC.

Hell of a director indeed.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2023, 06:53:02 PM »
Strangely Exorcist and French Connection are the only two movies of his that I've seen.

This might be me as well, though that feels hard to believe. If I've seen To Live and Die in LA I cannot remember anything from it.

El Barto, I feel we may have discussed The Caine Mutiny here before. I posted in the upcoming movies thread about it as I didn't know there was a new version coming out directed by... William Freidkin.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2023, 07:11:09 AM »
https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/sixto-rodriguez-detroit-born-musician-and-subject-of-searching-for-sugar-man-documentary-dies-at-81

Musician Sixto Rodriguez has died. I don't know how many of you have watched the 'Searching for Sugar Man' documentary about him. It was a great one and won an Academy award in 2013.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2023, 10:50:00 AM »
great documentary. He toured including playing in hometown more than once since that documentary and my wife and I thought of but didn't manage to go see him. I feel kind of bad about that now.

RIP Rodriguez.

Offline HOF

« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2023, 02:07:08 PM »
Robbie Robertson has passed. To be honest, I only know of him because he did a cool solo album with Daniel Lanois that featured Peter Gabriel and band, U2, etc. But he was apparently in The Band, and also worked with Bob Dylan and did a bunch of film music.

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/robbie-robertson-dead-the-band-1235692172/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 09:09:29 PM by HOF »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2023, 03:47:28 PM »
The Band was very popular back in the day. I remember his 80's solo albums from MTV.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2023, 04:19:36 PM »
Robbie Robertson has passed. To be honest, I only know of him because he did a cool solo album with Daniel Lanois that featured Peter Gabriel and band, U2, etc. But he as apparently in The Band, and also worked with Bob Dylan and did a bunch of film music.

That solo album is VERY cool.   I went up to Woodstock to see the house once, from when he worked with Dylan.   I don't really like The Band, though.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #186 on: August 09, 2023, 04:51:00 PM »
Robbie Robertson has passed. To be honest, I only know of him because he did a cool solo album with Daniel Lanois that featured Peter Gabriel and band, U2, etc. But he as apparently in The Band, and also worked with Bob Dylan and did a bunch of film music.

That solo album is VERY cool.   I went up to Woodstock to see the house once, from when he worked with Dylan.   I don't really like The Band, though.
I never got the appeal. I was in a friend's bar many years ago and The Last Waltz was on, and all the regulars were simply enthralled. Like it was a long lost video recording of the Who at Leeds or something. It didn't make any sense to me.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2023, 05:25:53 PM »
The Band was very popular back in the day. I remember his 80's solo albums from MTV.

I don't remember that.

In the early days of MTV, they'd play a song or two off of The Last Waltz, but that's about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: August 09, 2023, 05:28:05 PM »

I don't remember that.

In the early days of MTV, they'd play a song or two off of The Last Waltz, but that's about it.

His solo videos were played all the time dude. You just only watched the Headbangers Ball.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2023, 05:30:00 PM »

I don't remember that.

His solo videos were played all the time dude. You just only watched the Headbangers Ball.

That's not true! :lol

He may have had a video on MTV at some point, but it certainly wasn't memorable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: August 09, 2023, 05:32:05 PM »
 :lol

Probably wasn't your thing and you turned the channel. Surfing was all the rage in the 80's. Lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: August 09, 2023, 09:53:28 PM »
Sad to hear about Robbie Robertson. I like The Band a lot, plenty of great songs there.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2023, 09:33:40 AM »

I don't remember that.

Same, and that's almost the only reason I've ever heard of The Band.  I was all over MTV in the pre-Headbangers Ball era, and I have zero recollection of anything solo from Robertson.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2023, 12:16:46 PM »

I don't remember that.

Same, and that's almost the only reason I've ever heard of The Band.  I was all over MTV in the pre-Headbangers Ball era, and I have zero recollection of anything solo from Robertson.

Not only that, but my local rock station never played them either.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2023, 06:18:07 PM »
My local classic rock station played 1, maybe 2 of their songs.

I do remember watching Roger Waters Berlin performance of The Wall as a kid, and wondering who were the two guys ruining David's vocal sections of Mother, and when I looked it up I thought that The Band must be a awful group if those guys were their vocalists.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline coz

« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2023, 12:20:08 AM »
I do remember watching Roger Waters Berlin performance of The Wall as a kid, and wondering who were the two guys ruining David's vocal sections of Mother, and when I looked it up I thought that The Band must be a awful group if those guys were their vocalists.

Pretty kickass performance by Sinéad though.
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2023, 09:25:30 AM »
I always thought The Band was VERY overrated; I hated (and still do) that song Cripple Creek or whatever it is, and The Weight is even worse.   But if you were at all in tune with that U2/REM/Gabriel/Sting do-gooder crowd in the late '80s, early '90s, you knew "Somewhere Down The Crazy River".   

I think Tony Levin and Peter Gabriel played on that solo record, and Manu Katche was the drummer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2023, 09:34:57 AM »
I always thought The Band was VERY overrated; I hated (and still do) that song Cripple Creek or whatever it is, and The Weight is even worse.
I agree with this.  Can't stand that.  And I have a lot of love and respect for most classic rock acts.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2023, 05:24:18 PM »
Ron Cephas Jones of This Is Us and Hamilton has passed away from COPD at age 66.

https://people.com/ron-cephas-jones-dead-daughter-jasmine-cephas-jones-kim-lesley-tributes-7693651
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online faizoff

« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2023, 06:35:34 PM »
Ron Cephas Jones of This Is Us and Hamilton has passed away from COPD at age 66.

https://people.com/ron-cephas-jones-dead-daughter-jasmine-cephas-jones-kim-lesley-tributes-7693651

I knew him from Mr. Robot. He was great in that show. Are you referring to Hamilton the musical ?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #200 on: August 21, 2023, 06:42:33 PM »
I think Harmony misread the article. Ron wasn't in Hamilton, his daughter Jasmine was.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #201 on: August 21, 2023, 07:55:20 PM »
Yes, my bad.  I knew he was active in the theater and I saw Hamilton in that article and my brain did that thing where it puts things together. 

Unfortunately, I am not well versed in Hamilton casts past and present.  I know that many are and I misspoke.  Mistyped?  Whatever.  Sorry.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #202 on: August 26, 2023, 10:50:05 AM »
Bob Barker, 99.

One of a kind. He lived a full life.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #203 on: August 26, 2023, 03:51:24 PM »
Bob Barker, 99.

As close as possible to 100 without going over…  :hat
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #204 on: August 26, 2023, 04:00:50 PM »
Bob Barker, 99.

Betty White was even closer... Just 17 days away.

As for Bob, spent many a day watching that show in my youth.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: August 26, 2023, 04:00:59 PM »
Bob Barker, 99.

HA!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #206 on: August 26, 2023, 04:17:17 PM »
Bob Barker, 99.

I see what you did there.... :neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: August 26, 2023, 04:21:38 PM »
Bob Barker, 99.

You beat me to it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #208 on: August 26, 2023, 05:19:12 PM »
The Price is wrong, bitch.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #209 on: August 26, 2023, 07:48:23 PM »
I remember Bob Barker from Truth or Consequences back in the 70's.  R.I.P.  :(