Author Topic: Celebrity death thread  (Read 20393 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Celebrity death thread
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2023, 07:19:20 PM »
Slammer finally gettin some relief from that bunion.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2023, 02:00:37 PM »
Oh man!  That's too bad!  RIP
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2023, 01:05:01 PM »
The legendary Tina Turner passes away at 83  :'(

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2023, 01:13:56 PM »
The legendary Tina Turner passes away at 83  :'(
Just saw that!  RIP
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2023, 01:17:42 PM »
yeah, another icon from my Youth gone. RIP Tina.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2023, 02:05:28 PM »
I’m going to have to spin Montana in her honor.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2023, 02:57:43 PM »
Only heard it live so I had no idea she was on it. And she wasn't even the yippi-aye-oh-aye-tay girl. Go figure. 

Never cared for her solo stuff, but the live videos of her with Ike and the Ikettes were really something else.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2023, 06:11:25 PM »
I honestly only know a few songs by Tina Turner, with What's Love Got to Do With It being a mainstay on my 80s playlist, but she was obviously a giant in the industry for a long time. R.I.P.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2023, 06:35:56 PM »
I’ll always remember “Simply the Best” being used on a Stanley Cup Playoff summary/montage in 1990

https://youtu.be/e1GjxoMgdIA
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2023, 06:52:59 AM »
Only heard it live so I had no idea she was on it. And she wasn't even the yippi-aye-oh-aye-tay girl. Go figure. 

Never cared for her solo stuff, but the live videos of her with Ike and the Ikettes were really something else.

Kind of me.  I get her place in history, I do, but her solo stuff never really resonated (at least not like someone like Cher for example, who I saw live and LOVED).   

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2023, 09:30:09 PM »
Never had a chance to type this and I don't think anyone here knows him, but Texas Dolly, poker legend, Doyle Brunson had passed away a few weeks back at age 89.

This guy has had quite a life and paths would have easily changed before he played poker professionally.  Was pretty athletic and almost would have had a career as a NBA player until an injury where he was in crutches for the rest of his life derailed that.  He could have been part of the Minnesota Lakers....  Soon after, he played all kinds of poker games around Texas, illegal games really, one where robbery and guns being pointed at the table on the regular.  Beaten cancer in the 1960s when doctors thought he would only have a limited amount of time left.

Eventually ended up in Vegas and took part in the first ever World Series of Poker in 1970 and became a regular in the yearly series, winning 10 tournaments in his lifetime.  Wrote poker books that became influential when it comes to how the game goes and what routes that could lead to winning poker games.  Pretty much beaten the highest limit games in Vegas in a variety of poker games through the decades and won and lost a lot of money in those games, but still was able to succeed in making a living in poker for decades.

The one thing I will miss about him watching old poker shows was his wit and banter at the table.  He always will find something snarky to say and has a nice grin about it that everyone in the table can laugh and enjoy the atmosphere.  The poker world will miss him, but thank him in his part of growing the game that he probably didn't imagine during his old days of playing illegal and life-threatening games in Texas in the late 1950s and 60s.  That said, he was the kind of guy that's not really looking for fame. He mainly says he's not an entertainer, he's a poker player and knew where to follow the money in the poker games.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 09:37:35 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2023, 05:08:53 AM »
When the NHL lockout was on in 2005, I ended up watching a lot of Poker.  Doyle looked 100 back then, so I'm actually quite amazed he was only in his early 70s.  He was the godfather of Poker back then, I'm sure that entire community is mourning.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2023, 06:20:18 AM »
So, let me preface with two facts:   this could go here, or in the exasperated thread, and Paul McCartney is IMO the greatest living musician right now.  I got a notification yesterday from Apple News:  "Beatles bassist dead at 81".   Now, I don't know McCartney's EXACT age, but it's in the ballpark (turns out, he turns 81 in June. On the 18th, if you care).  My heart sinks, I click, and.... it's Chas Newby.  "Who?" you're saying.   Exactly.  I'm sort of a Beatles nut, and have won several trivia sessions regarding Beatles trivia, and I'm not sure I ever heard of Chas Newby.   Turns out he filled in for Stuart Sutcliffe for a couple gigs upon their first return from Germany, and when the band was to go back to Hamburg, he declined and at that point Paul drew the short straw and took over the bass guitar.   

Fun stuff (the trivia part, not his dying), but very questionable headline!   

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2023, 06:24:59 AM »
So, let me preface with two facts:   this could go here, or in the exasperated thread, and Paul McCartney is IMO the greatest living musician right now.  I got a notification yesterday from Apple News:  "Beatles bassist dead at 81".   Now, I don't know McCartney's EXACT age, but it's in the ballpark (turns out, he turns 81 in June. On the 18th, if you care).  My heart sinks, I click, and.... it's Chas Newby.  "Who?" you're saying.   Exactly.  I'm sort of a Beatles nut, and have won several trivia sessions regarding Beatles trivia, and I'm not sure I ever heard of Chas Newby.   Turns out he filled in for Stuart Sutcliffe for a couple gigs upon their first return from Germany, and when the band was to go back to Hamburg, he declined and at that point Paul drew the short straw and took over the bass guitar.   

Fun stuff (the trivia part, not his dying), but very questionable headline!

Got you to click. I hate clickbait headlines like that.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2023, 06:26:02 AM »
How can you know Stuart Sutcliffe and NOT know who Chas Newby is? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2023, 08:36:54 AM »
Yeah, I don't go on Twitter much anymore but when I see an older celebrity "trending" my heart always skips a beat.  Most recently it was Steve Martin.  Turns out he's fine and I'm not sure why he was trending but dayum, I don't like that initial 5 seconds of seeing that.

As for Tina Turner, I'm with some of the rest of you here.  I don't own any of her music aside from a couple of hits with Ike from back in the day and Acid Queen from Tommy.  But reading through all of the tributes and realizing the impact she had for SO MANY in the business, especially women, it is impossible not to appreciate her contribution.  And then thinking about the personal hardships and turmoil and watching her overcome those and rise to such heights makes her a trail blazer in so many ways for women.  Her latter music was also part of the soundtrack of my high school years. RIP

Anyway, this is the photo Paula Cole kept in her wardrobe case over the past few decades.  She'd get ready to go on stage by looking at this photo and channeling this power house of a performer.  I think it is an amazing photo.  Best legs in the business.  Credit: Herb Ritts

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2023, 09:16:58 PM »
Songwriter Cynthia Weil who with her husband Barry Mann, wrote several hugely iconic tunes and among others, "Love is Only Sleeping" and "Shades of Gray" for The Monkees.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2023, 07:57:41 PM »
Now that dude was handsome!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2023, 10:42:07 PM »
the details on the accident are bizarre. A car cuts him off while he was making a left turn with his motorcycle?

RIP. I probably knew him best from Everwood and that Journey to the Center of the Earth miniseries, but he was a very prolific working actor.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2023, 06:35:35 AM »
the details on the accident are bizarre. A car cuts him off while he was making a left turn with his motorcycle?

RIP. I probably knew him best from Everwood and that Journey to the Center of the Earth miniseries, but he was a very prolific working actor.

But that's weird: "He was making a left or a right [and] and a car cut him off."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2023, 06:35:48 AM »
Now that dude was handsome!

Agreed

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2023, 06:57:57 AM »
Long career.  RIP

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2023, 04:51:56 PM »
Julian Sands

65, some hiking accident in Southern California?

"Room With a View" was a among his most well known roles. Of course a clip from him in it was used in
Space Dye Vest.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/julian-sands-dead-missing-room-with-a-view-1235656147/#recipient_hashed=299348b1ab5150937c7a705e139c6efa5552236880fdae1013dfafbb15973ed3&recipient_salt=c99b4beb7506981054d7d2fb8b51d7c3990c561fab35a84baffaee99535fc0da

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2023, 08:36:49 AM »
Alan Arkin, 89

Little Miss Sunnshine I know him best from, but he had a very prolific career.

https://variety.com/2023/film/obituaries-people-news/alan-arkin-dead-little-miss-sunshine-argo-1235658718/

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2023, 08:50:15 AM »
Alan Arkin, 89

https://variety.com/2023/film/obituaries-people-news/alan-arkin-dead-little-miss-sunshine-argo-1235658718/
Oh man.  RIP.  What a great talent.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2023, 08:53:16 AM »
Not surprising. But yea, dude was always amazing to watch. RIP.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2023, 08:57:40 AM »
Awe, dammit. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faizoff

« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2023, 10:29:28 AM »
Alan Arkin, 89

Me and my wife used to quote his lines from that movie all the time, esp whenever she made chicken loll.

"Again with the fucking chicken. It's always with the goddamn fucking chicken."

He was in so many memorable movies.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2023, 02:12:02 PM »
Alan Arkin, 89

Goddammit.  He was fabulous in the Netflix sitcom with Michael Douglas, The Kominsky Method.  I'll also fondly remember him in Glengary Glen Ross.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2023, 02:40:54 PM »
You kids are too young to remember, but he was the original Yossarian in Catch-22.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2023, 02:41:31 PM »
You kids are too young to remember, but he was the original Yossarian in Catch-22.

I'm too young to remember that! :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2023, 02:58:14 PM »
Get off my lawn!