Author Topic: HOF's Top 50 "Pop" Albums - #31 The first in a series of transitional albums  (Read 7190 times)

Offline billboy73

Re: HOF's Top 50 "Pop" Albums - #38 Just one maniac
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2023, 08:15:44 AM »
My wife likes 10,000 Maniacs and also has her first few solo records.  I am not really into the 10,000 Maniacs stuff, but Tigerlily is a really awesome record.  Natalie Merchant has a really nice voice, and there are a lot of great songs on this album.  I agree that Wonder is one of the best 90's pop songs, with some great guitar work.  Check out the live performance of Wonder from Letterman (1996) on Youtube.  Jennifer nails it on guitar with some great tone.

Offline HOF

« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2023, 08:29:45 AM »
Oooh, generally been with you the entire ride. Have to bail on this one.  For whatever reason I just don't like Natalie Merchant.

For some reason I sort of expected she wasn’t your type. Is it that fashionable NY art scene/played at the Clinton inauguration type of thing?

My wife likes 10,000 Maniacs and also has her first few solo records.  I am not really into the 10,000 Maniacs stuff, but Tigerlily is a really awesome record.  Natalie Merchant has a really nice voice, and there are a lot of great songs on this album.  I agree that Wonder is one of the best 90's pop songs, with some great guitar work.  Check out the live performance of Wonder from Letterman (1996) on Youtube.  Jennifer nails it on guitar with some great tone.

Yep, love that Letterman performance!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2023, 09:22:59 AM »
Oooh, generally been with you the entire ride. Have to bail on this one.  For whatever reason I just don't like Natalie Merchant.

For some reason I sort of expected she wasn’t your type. Is it that fashionable NY art scene/played at the Clinton inauguration type of thing?

I mean, it's not that exactly, but it is that "type thing" if that makes sense.  I don't let politics bug me in music - hell, I love REM to a fault, and I imagine Michael, Mike and I don't see eye-to-eye on a fair number of things - but I sniff an air of elitism and preciousness to her art that I don't necessarily appreciate.  Not saying she's wrong, saying it's a "Me" thing and I don't appreciate it.  That's actually the one sliver of REM I don't like; generally, when they're all four driving, I love the ethos of REM.  Once in a blue moon, Michael will get a little precious or pretentious and it'll likely not be my favorite stuff. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2023, 10:39:02 AM »
A band I was in at one point covered a 10,000 Maniacs' tune, and I saw that album cheap at a store and purchased it, but I never got around to listening to it.  I should do that some time. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2023, 10:58:31 AM »

I mean, it's not that exactly, but it is that "type thing" if that makes sense.  I don't let politics bug me in music - hell, I love REM to a fault, and I imagine Michael, Mike and I don't see eye-to-eye on a fair number of things - but I sniff an air of elitism and preciousness to her art that I don't necessarily appreciate.  Not saying she's wrong, saying it's a "Me" thing and I don't appreciate it.  That's actually the one sliver of REM I don't like; generally, when they're all four driving, I love the ethos of REM.  Once in a blue moon, Michael will get a little precious or pretentious and it'll likely not be my favorite stuff.

I always got the sense that she was pretty politically active, but I wouldn’t say anything on this album is particularly political or elitist. Maybe the whole River Phoenix thing, but it’s a really great song regardless.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2023, 11:59:47 AM »
She's not my cup of tea, but she's fine.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2023, 02:46:52 PM »
Natalie Merchant's included in the Documentary Series "Women Who Rock" which my wife and I are watching right now. Although I know her and 10,000 Maniacs a bit, I wouldn't typically think of her as "Pop" but I guess it depends on what you think of with Pop music.

Offline HOF

« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2023, 06:58:28 PM »
Natalie Merchant's included in the Documentary Series "Women Who Rock" which my wife and I are watching right now. Although I know her and 10,000 Maniacs a bit, I wouldn't typically think of her as "Pop" but I guess it depends on what you think of with Pop music.

Yeah, I’m using a pretty expansive definition. You could be more specific and call it alternative or singer-songwriter or whatever, but it’s accessible and I imagine gets played on hits radio stations still. I’m more using pop as a catch all term for stuff that isn’t very heavy, isn’t prog, but for purposes of this list has a little something to it musically still.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2023, 07:08:51 PM »
It seems that it's one of those "it doesn't fit anywhere else, so it goes here" genre bins.  If it has a focus on catchiness and accessibility, but isn't more clearly and primarily some other genre, we stick it there. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2023, 07:21:35 PM »
It seems that it's one of those "it doesn't fit anywhere else, so it goes here" genre bins.  If it has a focus on catchiness and accessibility, but isn't more clearly and primarily some other genre, we stick it there.

Yep, pretty much. A lot of these albums could be broken down into more specific genres, but I wanted to talk about something more broad with this list than any one of those genres.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2023, 07:58:00 PM »
I've heard Natalie Merchants but I couldn't pin a voice to a name until I put Wonder and wow, this song brought back some core childhood memories :lol.

I'm going to give the album a spin but I can tell right now that I'm going to love the sound of this album. The 90's had some really great sounding records.

Offline HOF

Re: HOF's Top 50 "Pop" Albums - #37 Unusual shapes and sounds
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2023, 10:28:26 PM »
Been struggling to get this one into words (and finding time to write in general). Let's see if I can spit this out since I don't have to work tomorrow.

37. The Clientele - Strange Geometry (2005)

Characterized by wobbly guitars, echoey vocals, and a dose of baroque/chamber pop, Strange Geometry finds The Clientele's sound evolving from their more lo-fi, psychedelic beginnings into more polished and sophisticated indie pop. A big part of that is the introduction of string arrangements from Louis Philippe (who we met a few albums back on this list). We also get a somewhat more upbeat and rhythmically driven album than the band had been known for until now. As such, this album is a bit rockier in places than some of the albums on this list. But on the whole, Strange Geometry is steeped in the 1960s pop tradition. A bit like Simon & Garfunkel, The Beatles, and The Beach Boys collided with Oasis.

Some tracks really swing, like the the snappy opener, "When K Got Over Me," "My Own Face Inside The Trees," "When I Came Home From The Party," and the triumphant "Impossible." Other tracks like the title track and "K," have a jazzier edge. But the real highlight of the album are the two ballads, "(I Can't Seem To) Make You Mine," and "Step Into The Light," which are chamber pop at it's finest. A real tenderness and vulnerability to the words and accompaniment. The similarly low-key "Spirit" is another favorite.

A major feature of this album is the unique guitar work. The lead sound employs some sort of reverb or delay that is just really unusual. The album itself is a bit hard to describe, and I know this isn't a band many here will be familiar with. But they are worth checking out for their unique sound and for just making beautiful, adventurous, pop music.

Favorite tracks: (I Can't Seem To) Make You Mine, Step Into The Light, When K Got Over Me, Impossible, Spirit

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2023, 08:11:08 AM »
Not positive, but I don't think I've ever heard of this band.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2023, 08:27:02 AM »
they were kind of popular among the College Rock crowd like 15 years ago. A friend of mine used to play them on her radio show I recall.

Offline HOF

« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2023, 08:43:10 AM »
they were kind of popular among the College Rock crowd like 15 years ago. A friend of mine used to play them on her radio show I recall.

Yeah, their earlier stuff was a bit closer to Radiohead/Britpop/indie rock. They’re from the UK but I believe they’ve had more success here in the states.

Offline HOF

Re: HOF's Top 50 "Pop" Albums - #36 The one featuring Jordan Rudes
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2023, 10:52:05 PM »
It's been a long, busy week, but I'm up late again so here is the next entry.

36. Prefab Sprout - The Gunman And Other Stories (2001)

Sophisti-pop meets country western, this album was departure on a number of levels from prior Prefab Sprout material, who are better known for their 1980s new wave/pop stylings which influenced artists like Steve Hogarth and Tim Bowness. I don't think this album was well received by anyone, fans or critics alike. But it's one of my favorite things they've done. It's quirky and hokey and wonderfully anachronistic. It might have fit better in the 1970s or 1980s, and you could envision it working on an adult contemporary format in the 1990s, but it definitely was out of place in 2001. This is also the first (and only I think) album on the countdown to feature a member of Dream Theater.

So what do we have here? A collection of songs that were originally written by Paddy McAloon for use by other artists that he decided to revisit and release at a transitional point in the band. By this time Prefab Sprout was more of a solo outlet for McAloon, and several session musicians were brought in to round out the recordings. Enter Jordan Rudess, who was credited as Jordan "Rudes" in the liner notes. If you ever wanted to know what a restrained Jordan sounds like, this is the album for you! Though there are a few places where you can catch his trademark style.

McAloon is one of those songwriters who manages to write cheesy things in a witty way that somehow makes them seem both earnest and ironic at the same time. He's a brilliant songwriter, though you might not really get it on first listen. Take "Cowboy Dreams." Is this parody, comedy, or just a string of bad clichés? Does it matter?

Love's a silver bullet
That blows your world apart
I wanna be remembered as an outlaw
The boy who stole your heart.

I wanna be the guy who wears the white hat
Then rides across the plain
I'm gonna be your enigmatic stranger
Honey you are lookin' at your Shane

Complete with yippe ay yayes, a "yeehaw!", and a fierce banjo solo. I love this tune so much. I don't think anything here is meant to be taken seriously, yet there's still an intense beauty to the whole thing.

"Cornfield Ablaze" is similarly a master class in word play, imagery, and humor. A lonely farm boy sees a beautiful woman, falls in love, neglects his duties on the farm, and, well, sets the cornfield ablaze (literally and figuratively). "The Gunman" (which was written for and originally recorded by Cher) is a really cool epic type of piece with a cinematic feel, some twinkly piano by our man Jordan, and a fantastic guitar solo. There are a few syrupy ballads that are less memorable, and the abundantly silly Aaron Copeland pastiche, "Farmyard Cat" has to be taken in the right spirit. But it all works on one level or another.

This is one isn't available to stream, but you can find it on YouTube. I'm sure this all just sound bizarre, and it kind of is. But it's worth a listen.

Favorite tracks: Cowboy Dreams, Cornfield Ablaze, The Gunman, Wild Card in The Pack, The Streets of Laredo/Not Long For This World
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 06:06:25 AM by HOF »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2023, 11:03:50 AM »
Oops, I got quite behind, but I'll try to catch up on all of these these days. I think you've sent me this band but not from this particular album, which sounds pretty interesting, so I'll give it a go soon :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2023, 11:47:58 AM »
I have heard of this band, but can't recall anything specific that I have heard from them.

Offline HOF

« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2023, 12:03:24 PM »
I have heard of this band, but can't recall anything specific that I have heard from them.

They kind of fit into those Tears for Fears, Crowded House, or XTC type of bands, but a bit more singer/songwriter-ish maybe. The only hit song of theirs that I’m aware of is The King of Rock and Roll (featuring the immortal chorus of “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” - if you’ve heard it you’ll remember it), though I think they had more success in the UK than in the states. Paddy McAloon is a well thought of songwriter though, and you’ll hear his praises from people like Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness. They’ve mentioned their albums on their podcast if you ever listen to it (I think they even discussed this one).

Offline HOF

Re: HOF's Top 50 "Pop" Albums - #35 Somebody that you used to know
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2023, 10:47:44 PM »
As I got into writing this album up, I felt like it really should have finished a good bit higher on my list. But again, don't read too much into the order.

35. Gotye - Making Mirrors (2011)

My wife deserves the credit for introducing me to Gotye. I remember her showing me "Somebody That I Used To Know," and she even bought me this album. She gets me!

The first thing that jumped out to me about Gotye (aka Wally De Backer) was his voice, a breath of fresh air in a sea of autotuned soundalikes. He has elements of several classic pop and rock singers: Freddy Mercury, Phil Collins, Sting, George Michael, even a little Michael Jackson I think. He has a range, power, and charisma that can't be created with autotune (though there ae some fun computerized vocals on this album on one particular song as an intentional effect). 

Gotye is also a talented multi-instrumentalist, playing most of the instruments himself (he's a drummer by trade, sort of like a modern day Phil Collins), in addition to employing an array of samples and electronic elements in a self-produced and self-recorded effort. As a result Making Mirrors is a rich, varied, and sophisticated art-pop album. The combination of acoustic and electronic elements is perfectly executed, propelling each song into its own unique sonic territory. I highly recommend the "making of" documentary that you can find on YouTube.

The gentle sounds of the opening title track, more intro than song, set the mood right away as a segue to "Easy Way Out," which has kind of a later day U2 vibe. "Somebody That I Used To Know," is well known but a really memorable pop tune with it's own unique, quirky instrumentation and some really great vocal harmonies. "Eyes Wide Open" is an up-tempo but somber reflection on climate change. "I Feel Better" channels Motown, while "In Your Light" is an effervescent blend of synth pop and soul. "State of the Art" is an homage to a vintage organ called a Lowrey Cotillion. "Giving Me A Chance" has a chill, electronic vibe, that sets the stage for "Save Me," which is really probably the high point of the album for me. I love how this song was constructed both rhythmically and harmonically, and it features some really cool sampled autoharp played on a keyboard. "Bronte," an ode to the departed family dog, closes the album on a similar gentle note as the album opened on.

I had hoped Gotye would take off as a torch bearer of this sort of music in the mainstream, but it wasn't meant to be, as De Backer has since focused more on his band The Basics and a variety of other musical outlets outside of the public eye, putting Gotye on hiatus as far as I can tell. But Making Mirrors stands as a testament to his talent and creativity. He may go down as somewhat of a one-hit wonder, but that would be an inadequate description of his talent for sure.

Favorite tracks: "Save Me," "Eyes Wide Open," "Somebody That I Used To Know," "State Of The Art," "In Your Light."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2023, 10:54:45 PM »
I absolutely love this album. So many great tracks, this album is filled with goosebump inducing moments esp in Giving Me a Chance. I think he regularly performs with his other band and some of the live performances are relaxing to watch.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2023, 08:32:25 AM »
Funny enough I was driving to Florida for vacation this past week and I heard "somebody that I used to know" on xm. I always liked the track but never thought to listen further. Well now I have a reason too :lol. I'll give this record a spin in the next few days.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2023, 08:57:35 AM »
I like the song "Somebody That I Used To Know" but don't know anything else about Gotye.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2023, 12:19:02 PM »
I just checked this record out and I really enjoyed it. I don't know why it took me so long to check it out but it was a great pop record. The only misses for me was "State Of The Art" and "Don't Worry Well Be Watching You"

Offline HOF

« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2023, 03:15:09 PM »
I just checked this record out and I really enjoyed it. I don't know why it took me so long to check it out but it was a great pop record. The only misses for me was "State Of The Art" and "Don't Worry Well Be Watching You"

Nice! “Don’t Worry We’ll Be Watching You” is a bit of a throwaway track, but “Stare of the Art” I find highly entertaining. The music video might help.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2023, 07:15:00 PM »
State of the Art is one of those songs that is obscenely loaded with Easter eggs if you actually had one of those things in your home as a kid.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2023, 07:21:00 PM »
Sorry I’m late to this thread, but I have to say regarding Gotye that this was my introduction to him, but now I have all three albums (Boardface was really hard to find, but a copy had just been purchased by the local CD shop and they were playing it on the overhead. I snatched it up so fast that it never made it to to rack).

Personally, I think his second album Like Drawing Blood is even better, but YMMV.

Offline HOF

« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2023, 07:40:42 PM »
I don’t like it quite as much as Making Mirrors, but there are some great songs on Like Drawing Blood. Really like “Hearts a Mess,” “The Only Thing I Know,” and “Night Drive.” Also “Thanks For Your Time” is kind of that album’s “State of the Art.”

Offline jammindude

« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2023, 11:51:30 PM »
I apologize for not following this thread from the beginning. I’m gonna start looking at it more closely now.

My recent re-listen to a certain pop rock album mentioned in another thread (and a personal favorite of MP himself) has got my pop rock juices flowing.  And I swear to you that if the album I’m hinting at doesn’t make the list I will be extremely cross.  :loser:  ;D

Offline HOF

« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2023, 07:43:44 AM »
I apologize for not following this thread from the beginning. I’m gonna start looking at it more closely now.

My recent re-listen to a certain pop rock album mentioned in another thread (and a personal favorite of MP himself) has got my pop rock juices flowing.  And I swear to you that if the album I’m hinting at doesn’t make the list I will be extremely cross.  :loser:  ;D

Heh, I saw that, and not to spoil it for anyone, but I only own Belly Button and that one didn’t rock my world as much as I hoped it would based on its reputation. Not sure why as it seems like it’s right up my alley. Some good stuff for sure, but didn’t quite connect on a deeper level (“I Wanna Stay Home” is fantastic though). That said, I will have to give Spilt Milk a try.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2023, 11:43:02 AM »

Heh, I saw that, and not to spoil it for anyone, but I only own Belly Button and that one didn’t rock my world as much as I hoped it would based on its reputation. Not sure why as it seems like it’s right up my alley. Some good stuff for sure, but didn’t quite connect on a deeper level (“I Wanna Stay Home” is fantastic though). That said, I will have to give Spilt Milk a try.

curious though at 1 point I preferred Belly Button and still consider it a favorite. But Spilt Milk eventually won me over.

Also wonder if Toy Matinee or even say stuff like XTC or Tears for Fears may find their way on your list.

Also given you have Making Mirrors, could perhaps a Kimbra album could also be included (Vows or The Golden Echo?)

Offline HOF

« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2023, 12:19:27 PM »

curious though at 1 point I preferred Belly Button and still consider it a favorite. But Spilt Milk eventually won me over.

Also wonder if Toy Matinee or even say stuff like XTC or Tears for Fears may find their way on your list.

Also given you have Making Mirrors, could perhaps a Kimbra album could also be included (Vows or The Golden Echo?)

Kimbra is one I still need to check out. I do like her voice. The others, well, we shall see!

Offline HOF

Re: HOF's Top 50 "Pop" Albums - #34 Think about it...
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2023, 12:21:06 PM »
Gotta get one in this week amid all the top guitarist chatter.

34. Steve Winwood - Back In The High Life (1986)

I have always enjoyed Winwood’s radio hits, having early memories of listening to them as a young kid. For some reason it didn’t occur to me until the last 5 years or so to check out his albums. This was the first one I grabbed, and I think it’s up there with some of the other big pop albums of the mid-80s.

Winwood is one of those elder-statesmen of rock who I think is viewed as a legend but maybe not talked about as much as others from his era. He has a really unique and enduring voice though, and a trademark keyboard/Hammond style all his own. I did used to confuse him vocally with Peter Gabriel a bit growing up I think, and also Eric Clapton. More recently I can see a lot of similarities between him and one of my favorite singers, the late great David Longdon. Winwood still sounds really good too, as evidenced by the performances he shares on his YouTube channel.

People surely know the hits here. “Higher Love” is a classic and probably my favorite song of his (think about it, there must be higher love!). The title track is up there too though. Love the instrumentation on that one (also the only appearance by James Taylor on this list I believe). “The Finer Things” is really great too. People may be less familiar with the more soulful “Take It As It Comes” and “Split Decision,” or the rockier “Freedom Overspill,” which allows Winwood to stretch out a bit on the Hammond. The other big highlight for me is “Wake Me Up On Judgement Day,” with a big, oriental sounding main theme and an almost funky groove. “My Love’s Leaving” is a soft closer that nicely showcases Winwood’s voice.

Winwood’s blend of pop and soul is somewhat similar to what Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins were doing in this era, but with a bit more of a rock edge. He's a really talented musician, and one I've come to really appreciate more in recent years.

Favorite tracks: Higher Love, Back In The High Life, The Finer Things, Wake Me Up On Judgement Day, Freedom Overspill.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 12:33:42 PM by HOF »

Offline billboy73

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2023, 12:31:24 PM »
I started grabbing Traffic and Steve Winwood vinyl from used bins a few years back, and this is one of the first albums I grabbed.  This is a really great album, and Higher Love is definitely one of the great pop tunes of the 80's.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2023, 12:39:46 PM »
I haven't heard much from Steve Winwood but I did see him open for Tom Petty years ago and he put on a fantastic show. Other than "Higher Love" I don't recognize much but I'll spin this album in the next day or so and report back.