Author Topic: HOF's Top 50 "Pop" Albums - #31 The first in a series of transitional albums  (Read 7078 times)

Online HOF

Re: HOF's Top 50 "Pop" Albums - #34 Think about it...
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2023, 12:46:07 PM »
I'm not too familiar with Traffic, but I came across this performance by Winwood of "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" a little while back and it had me captivated. Like I said, he's still got it at age 74.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXDcPoeIx-E

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2023, 12:53:48 PM »
Steve Winwood is a legend, he was there in the mid 60s when rock music emerged and he was part of it. That said, I know a lot of his songs, but own only two of his solo records and Blind Faith, the group with Clapton and Baker.

Back In The Highlife is a really strong record, great 80s pop tunes through and through. But for me, I like the follow up Roll With It even better.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online HOF

« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2023, 12:59:42 PM »
Steve Winwood is a legend, he was there in the mid 60s when rock music emerged and he was part of it. That said, I know a lot of his songs, but own only two of his solo records and Blind Faith, the group with Clapton and Baker.

Back In The Highlife is a really strong record, great 80s pop tunes through and through. But for me, I like the follow up Roll With It even better.

I think the hits on High Life put it over the top for me, but Roll With It is really good too.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2023, 03:33:38 PM »
for those who enjoy Blind Faith, the 2nd/bonus disc on the Deluxe Edition is fantastic.

Those jams are awesome. There's 1 section that almost sounds like the bass riff in Heart of the Sunrise.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2023, 06:54:39 AM »
MTV played the daylights out of the hits from both Back in the High Life and Roll with It, and I have to admit that none of them were ever favorites of mine.  I have never heard any of his studio albums in full.  I definitely dig Traffic's The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: HOF's Top 50 "Pop" Albums - #35 Somebody that you used to know
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2023, 07:52:23 AM »
I apologize for not following this thread from the beginning. I’m gonna start looking at it more closely now.

My recent re-listen to a certain pop rock album mentioned in another thread (and a personal favorite of MP himself) has got my pop rock juices flowing.  And I swear to you that if the album I’m hinting at doesn’t make the list I will be extremely cross.  :loser:  ;D

Heh, I saw that, and not to spoil it for anyone, but I only own Belly Button and that one didn’t rock my world as much as I hoped it would based on its reputation. Not sure why as it seems like it’s right up my alley. Some good stuff for sure, but didn’t quite connect on a deeper level (“I Wanna Stay Home” is fantastic though). That said, I will have to give Spilt Milk a try.

curious though at 1 point I preferred Belly Button and still consider it a favorite. But Spilt Milk eventually won me over.

Also wonder if Toy Matinee or even say stuff like XTC or Tears for Fears may find their way on your list.

Also given you have Making Mirrors, could perhaps a Kimbra album could also be included (Vows or The Golden Echo?)

Honestly, I still prefer Belly Button. It's a little more direct, and a little more... immediate.  Not that Spilt Milk isn't good, it is, but there's something visceral about "The King Is Half Undressed" that is missing - or at least harder to come by - in most of the songs on Spilt Milk. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2023, 08:30:44 AM »
Good album.  I haven't listened to it in a long time.

I've always had a lot of respect for Winwood.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2023, 08:54:14 AM »
I gave the Winwood album a listen and it was pretty good but nothing really stood out to me personally. I love the vocals and the song of the album but the songs came off samey and hard to distinguish.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2023, 09:08:50 AM »
I gave the Winwood album a listen and it was pretty good but nothing really stood out to me personally. I love the vocals and the song of the album but the songs came off samey and hard to distinguish.

I was into this record for a while, but it didn't sustain.  I would listen to it now and I'm sure I would admire it, but I'm not sure I'd invest in it, if that makes sense.  I like Steve's voice - especially in Traffic - but I'm not the hugest "blue-eyed soul" guy, so that part is largely lost on me.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 09:25:57 AM by Stadler »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2023, 09:35:48 AM »
Yea, his voice is fantastic but there wasn't much to bite into if that makes any sense.

Online HOF

Re: HOF's Top 50 "Pop" Albums - #33 ...and don’t call me Shirley.
« Reply #150 on: May 05, 2023, 08:05:01 AM »
Sticking in the same general area code as Winwood this week.

33. Phil Collins - ...But Seriously (1989)

For a long time this was my favorite Phil Collins solo album, though it has in more recent years been surpassed by [redacted]. I still feel like it might be his most mature all around effort, with a more natural drum sound (very little of the gated snare here) and dryer overall production than the immediate predecessor. Which leaves a lot of room for the horns to really shine, especially in the recent remixes. There's something about well-recorded brass that can just hit you right in the gut, and the brass on this album is fantastic.

Much like with Back in the High Life, I have a lot of early childhood memories of this album. I can still recall a family trip to Florida when "Another Day In Paradise" was all over the radio. "Something Happened On The Way To Heaven" and "I Wish It Would Rain Down" were also favorite songs from the radio, and the former may still by my favorite Collins song. "Do You Remember" is a bit schmaltzy, but I've always liked it as well. Phil Collins was definitely one of the only common musical appreciations between my mom and I growing up, so there's a strong sentimental aspect to his music for me.

I remember picking up the album for the first time when I was in college, which was about the least cool thing to be listening to in college. But I really dug the album at a time when I was also starting to explore Genesis' catalog. For me, there's never been any clash or rivalry between the proggy Genesis and the poppier Genesis or Phil Collins' solo stuff. They've always been a band who scratches multiple itches for me, and Phil's solo work hits a certain spot too.

Among the lesser known tunes, "Colours" is probably the proggiest thing on the album and a definite favorite (Leland Sklar says hello). "All of My Life" is a bit of a tear jerker about failures as a father (and includes an appearance by Steve Winwood). "Father to Son" hits on similar themes. "Heat On The Street" is one of Phil's Motown moments, and I really like the bridge on this one. "Find A Way To My Heart" is the other kind of proggy moment on the album. Really like the percussion/drum work on this. Really nice bass work from Sklar here as well.

I wanted to shout out to Daryl Stuermer for the guitar work all over this album, but looking at the liner notes again Dominic Miller is also credited with guitar on several of the same tracks as Daryl, so I'm not totally sure who plays what. I always assumed the solos were Stuermer's (aside from Clapton on "I Wish It Would Rain Down"). I was especially thinking of the solo at the end of "Hang In Long Enough," which really shreds, even if it's a bit low in the mix. Guess I should also note the late David Crosby's contributions on several tracks.

Favorite songs: "Something Happened On The Way To Heaven," "Colours," "I Wish It Would Rain Down," "Find A Way To My Heart," "All of My Life."

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2023, 08:07:15 AM »
I haven't listened to this album but looking at the track list I'm familiar with at least half of it, I'm sure it was in parents collection somewhere. I'll have to give it a proper listen over the next few days.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2023, 08:19:25 AM »
Wait, what?   Why redacted???  :) :) :)

So, HUGE Phil Collins fan; I have every solo record, every B-Side, etc.    From Face Value through No Jacket I liked each record that much more...this was the first one I liked, but not MORE THAN the one before.  And each subsequent one I sort of liked a little less.   

And the reason is all in the title.

I like this Phil:

Not the serious Phil.  That album was where I think he MIGHT have taken himself a but too... seriously.   

Online HOF

« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2023, 08:33:49 AM »
Wait, what?   Why redacted???  :) :) :)

So, HUGE Phil Collins fan; I have every solo record, every B-Side, etc.    From Face Value through No Jacket I liked each record that much more...this was the first one I liked, but not MORE THAN the one before.  And each subsequent one I sort of liked a little less.   

And the reason is all in the title.

I like this Phil:

Not the serious Phil.  That album was where I think he MIGHT have taken himself a but too... seriously.

Yeah, it's definitely more adult oriented Phil here, and it only got more adult oriented on Both Sides. I would agree there was a general decline from here on out, though there are things I like on each of his last three solo albums (not counting the Going Back one which I've not listened to much). There is only a razor thin margin between But Seriously and No Jacket Required for me. 

Online HOF

« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2023, 08:42:43 AM »
The one thing ...But Seriously is missing that was a high point of the prior albums was a piano ballad like "You Know What I Mean," "Why Can't It Wait 'Til Morning," or "We Said Hello Goodbye" (or "Against All Odds").

Online nick_z

« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2023, 08:52:13 AM »
Great, great memories from the ...But Seriously album...

I wasn't quite in full-blown music listening mode at the time, but I can vividly remember how you couldn't escape the "Another Day in Paradise" video on the "Italian MTV" (it wasn't the actual MTV, but same concept). And I loved that song. "I Wish It Would Rain Down" too.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2023, 09:37:04 AM »
Good album.  Been a while since I've listened.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2023, 09:51:36 AM »
Really good record but I'm with Stadler that this was the first that I didn't like more than its predecessors. But still much better than what was to come. Although I recently listened to his whole discography again and Testify was surprisingly good.

Another Day In Paradise was played to death back then and I don't need to hear it again but I like almost all of the other songs. Highlights for me are I Wish It Would Rain Down, Colours, Something Happened ... and Hang In Long Enough.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online billboy73

« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2023, 07:54:33 AM »
...But Seriously and Face Value are pretty much neck and neck for my favorite Phil solo record.  Lots of great stuff on ...But Seriously.  Hang in Long Enough is a great opener.  Something Happened is so catchy.  I love Colours, and Saturday Night and Sunday Morning is a great little instrumental.  Clapton does some tasteful stuff on Rain Down, and yes Paradise was played to death, but it is a really great song.  Find a Way is a great closer to this album.  The horns sound great, and Phil has a great drum sound on this record too. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2023, 11:49:44 AM »
Just checked out ...But Seriously and I liked it, the horns and mix of the album is really well done. It did feel a bit lengthy but I thought it was good listen.

Online HOF

Re: HOF's Top 50 "Pop" Albums - #32 Featuring Madonna's backing band
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2023, 10:50:04 PM »
Note: I've always kind of hated this album cover, LOL.

32. Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee (1990)

The second album on this list to feature Kevin Gilbert, though it's just as much of a Patrick Leonard feature I think. Leonard wrote and produced several hit songs/albums with Madonna, and he tells a story of being approached by a Warner Brothers exec after Like a Prayer who told him "you made Warner Brothers about a half-billion dollars this year," and asked him "what would you like?" His answer: "I just wanna make a record."

The result was Toy Matinee, which in addition to Leonard on keyboards included Gilbert on vocals, Guy Pratt on bass, Brian MacLeod on drums, legendary session guitarist-turned-YouTuber Tim Pierce on guitar, and production by Bill Botrell (all of whom had previously worked with Madonna in one capacity or another). Pierce claims the album was mostly recorded live as a band in the studio, which is believable considering this group was made up of seasoned session pros. This is a wonderful sounding pop rock album, with a few flashes of Floydian prog here and there. The instrumental performances are really tight, but it's all very accessible. Check out "The Ballad of Jenny Ledge" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I can hear a bit of inspiration for Neal Morse/Spock's Beard in the intro to "Last Plane Out," and obviously there was a close connection between Gilbert and Spock's Beard. In retrospect it might not have been the best idea for the words "Greetings from Sodom..." to be the introduction to the band (this was also the lead single), but it's a clever song about escaping a war zone/judgement on, well, the last plane out. "Turn it On Salvador" is a quirky tribute to Salvador Dali. "Things She Said" has some really nice lyrics and really captured the feeling of some things I was going through when I first heard this album.

The album really hits its stride with "Remember My Name," which would have fit nicely on an album like Tears for Fears' Songs From The Big Chair.. Really great vocal performance by Gilbert there. The titular "The Toy Matinee" is exceedingly Pink Floyd-ish but lovely, with Pierce doing his best Gilmour impression. "Queen of Misery" has a go at Madonna and sort of sounds like a Madonna tune in the process. Really infectious groove. The aforementioned "The Ballad of Jenny Ledge" is probably my favorite song here, with some great word play and interplay between the bass and guitar. "There Was A Little Boy" is a gut-punch ballad about a kid growing up in a bad domestic situation, which again includes a great Gilbert performance. In contrast, the album closes with the more acoustic "We Always Come Home," which was written about Leonard's family and hometown.

It's easy to see how this one became sort of a cult classic but maybe was a bit too muso for the masses. It holds up really well 30+ years later even if the production is a bit of that time. There was a ton of musical talent going into this project, and it's a shame it was essentially a one-off, but it's a really cool footnote in pop music history all the same.

Favorite tracks: The Ballad of Jenny Ledge, Remember My Name, There Was A Little Boy, Queen of Misery, We Always Come Home.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 11:38:41 PM by HOF »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2023, 06:08:41 AM »
I've never heard of Toy Matinee but after reading your write-up I'm really intrigued. I'm aware of Tim Pierce from Rick Beato's channel and I'm familiar with Guy Pratt but only in the Pink Floyd setting. I'll give this a spin today or tomorrow and report back!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2023, 06:34:56 AM »
Toy Matinee is one of the greatest progressive pop albums of all time.

Online HOF

« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2023, 07:20:24 AM »
I meant to mention the Sheryl Crow connection here as well, as several of these guys went on to form the Tuesday Night Music Club that crafted her first album. Gilbert also took Crow out on the promotional tour for this album as the keyboardist (the rest of the band had other commitments, so he had to put another band together to tour it).

Also, this Tim Pierce video features interviews with the band and play throughs of most of the songs. It’s a great watch (and where I pulled a lot of the info for my write up from):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=muP89_B3q9E&pp=ygULdG95IG1hdGluZWU%3D

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2023, 07:47:14 AM »
This is a good album, but when I finally listened to it, I didn't feel that it had lived up to the hype it gets in the community.

Definitely good, don't get me wrong.  But its reputation that preceded it, when I listened to it for the first time, was bigger than the album I listened to.

Online HOF

« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2023, 09:16:44 AM »
This is a good album, but when I finally listened to it, I didn't feel that it had lived up to the hype it gets in the community.

Definitely good, don't get me wrong.  But its reputation that preceded it, when I listened to it for the first time, was bigger than the album I listened to.

Think I felt that way initially too. But it’s held up well for me, and I really enjoyed re-visiting it for this exercise. The story behind the band is a big part of what makes it interesting as well.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2023, 09:40:09 AM »

I had the exact same reaction the first time I spun this back in the day. To that point, I've probably returned to this (and THUD) a dozen or so times over the years, and it never really sticks. Like, on paper, this should be a lost gem for me, but there's something that doesn't really grab me.

That all said, phenomenal production and playing across the board...like I said, on paper...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2023, 09:45:03 AM »

AND

I had the exact same reaction the first time I spun this back in the day. To that point, I've probably returned to this (and THUD) a dozen or so times over the years, and it never really sticks. Like, on paper, this should be a lost gem for me, but there's something that doesn't really grab me.

That all said, phenomenal production and playing across the board...like I said, on paper...

This.   This is a good, sometimes very good, album, but that's about it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2023, 09:50:07 AM »
For me, there is great production, and lots of great playing, but not a lot of great songs.  And without those, nothing else really matters.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2023, 10:52:44 AM »
Nice writeup HOF.

Sheryl is also on the Toy Matinee Live/Live at the Roxy.

I actually have seen people who prefer that to the studio recording. I can follow that, and also they do a fantastic cover of Funeral For a Friend/Loves Lies Bleeding.

I have my bias of course, but I initially was floored by it. I'd heard much of Thud and some of Shaming, but Toy Matinee, with its production and the songwriting, grabbed me from my 1st listen.

I guess I'm not sure what the songwriting lacks, unless it's extensive musicianship or over the top hooks or something. I always found it to be very clever pop/rock. Basically pop/rock music with little twists. Much like Jellyfish, Tears for Fears, XTC, or even Steely Dan.

And Kevin Gilbert's voice is perfectly suited for these songs.

But like I said, some people prefer the live album or some of his other work (Giraffe, Shaming, Thud, or even Kaviar).

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2023, 11:02:21 AM »
Nice writeup HOF.

Sheryl is also on the Toy Matinee Live/Live at the Roxy.

I actually have seen people who prefer that to the studio recording. I can follow that, and also they do a fantastic cover of Funeral For a Friend/Loves Lies Bleeding.

I have my bias of course, but I initially was floored by it. I'd heard much of Thud and some of Shaming, but Toy Matinee, with its production and the songwriting, grabbed me from my 1st listen.

I guess I'm not sure what the songwriting lacks, unless it's extensive musicianship or over the top hooks or something. I always found it to be very clever pop/rock. Basically pop/rock music with little twists. Much like Jellyfish, Tears for Fears, XTC, or even Steely Dan.

And Kevin Gilbert's voice is perfectly suited for these songs.

But like I said, some people prefer the live album or some of his other work (Giraffe, Shaming, Thud, or even Kaviar).

That's all fair, and I LOVE the bands you mentioned above (especially Tears), so I suppose I'm gonna need to revisit this again and try to figure out what it is that I'm missing (or it's missing) ;D

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2023, 06:29:30 AM »
Gave Toy Matinee a spin and I didn't really connect with it. The song writing just isn't for me and it's a little too "sweet" if that makes any sense.  It's a killer sounding album though, the mix is impeccable and I did really dig "Things She Said" & "Remember My Name".

Offline Harmony

Re: HOF's Top 50 "Pop" Albums - #48 All on a Sunday
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2023, 08:58:51 AM »
Sorry to be late to this thread!  I think we may have some similar (impeccable  ;)) tastes in music so I will definitely be following.

Bookends is my favorite S&G album by far.  It is a very nostalgic album for me.

Something you may not know about Duncan Sheik is that he went on to be a Tony award winning (2006 Spring Awakening) writer for numerous musicals/plays since that debut record.  I think this wound up being more of his niche.  Very talented guy.

All three Sundays albums are perfection!

THIS ^^^^^ I had the pleasure of going to a Sundays gig once and it was PHENOMENAL.  This is one of the groups that I always wished would get back into the game again but never did, sadly.  Harriet's voice just slays me.  And their records always make me think of my dear sister.   :heart

Steve Winwood is also phenomenal live.  I will never forget the concert I saw in 1986 - Level 42 opening for Steve Winwood.  It was a fucking blast and I don't think I've ever danced that much at a concert in my life (we were right up in front).  Good times.  Back in the High Life is a good album but I gotta give the nod to Arc of a Diver so if you aren't familiar, you should check that one out. 

I'm excited to see what is yet to come.  Great thread. 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online HOF

Re: HOF's Top 50 "Pop" Albums - #48 All on a Sunday
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2023, 09:13:41 AM »
Sorry to be late to this thread!  I think we may have some similar (impeccable  ;)) tastes in music so I will definitely be following.

Bookends is my favorite S&G album by far.  It is a very nostalgic album for me.

Something you may not know about Duncan Sheik is that he went on to be a Tony award winning (2006 Spring Awakening) writer for numerous musicals/plays since that debut record.  I think this wound up being more of his niche.  Very talented guy.

All three Sundays albums are perfection!

THIS ^^^^^ I had the pleasure of going to a Sundays gig once and it was PHENOMENAL.  This is one of the groups that I always wished would get back into the game again but never did, sadly.  Harriet's voice just slays me.  And their records always make me think of my dear sister.   :heart

Steve Winwood is also phenomenal live.  I will never forget the concert I saw in 1986 - Level 42 opening for Steve Winwood.  It was a fucking blast and I don't think I've ever danced that much at a concert in my life (we were right up in front).  Good times.  Back in the High Life is a good album but I gotta give the nod to Arc of a Diver so if you aren't familiar, you should check that one out. 

I'm excited to see what is yet to come.  Great thread.

:tup Glad you found it!

Arc of a Diver is good too, and could have easily been on the list as well. It's a little less slick of an album, but has some great songs for sure.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2023, 10:39:25 PM »
I'm a big fan of Guy Pratt, and have tried and tried to get in to that Toy Matinee album, but just can't.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'