Author Topic: Polly Samson (David Gilmour's wife) goes scorched earth on Roger Waters  (Read 3291 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
https://news.yahoo.com/polly-samson-wife-pink-floyd-092818421.html

This feels like a long time coming, as Roger has taken shots at them for years, but it sounds like the rubber finally met the road and Polly went off on Roger via social media, which David then endorsed. 

I am guessing Roger is figuring out already how he can sue for slander.  :lol :lol
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 08:14:43 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Dave_Manchester

Re: Polly Samson (David Gilmour's wife) goes scorced earth on Roger Waters
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 06:48:32 AM »
I am guessing Roger is figuring out already how he can sue for slander.  :lol :lol
If it goes to court then the court sketches of participants should be done by Gerald Scarfe and the judge's closing statement should begin with "The evidence before the court is incontrovertable, there's no need for the jury to retire"

More seriously, it's desperately sad these 2 old men (plus Yoko Samson) still haven't learnt they're incapable of playing nicely together and resolve to just ignore one another.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 07:06:20 AM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline emtee

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 07:14:44 AM »
Sad indeed.

My cousin is a senior partner at a prestigious firm in CA and he is handling the sale of the back catalog, which seems to have hit many roadblocks. I'm guessing this will further complicate the issue, possibly killing the entire deal. Time will tell.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 07:35:29 AM »
I mean, I'll sit back and munch popcorn while the drama ensues, but I dislike Roger Waters more every day, honestly.  I'd never stop listening to Floyd (I love Gilmour's solo stuff, I don't own one song of Roger's) and if he ever restages The Wall shows I'm there in a heartbeat (top three concert regret in my life).  It's not his position, frankly, he's entitled to that.  It's his refusal to even contemplate that someone might, <GASP!> disagree with him!  He's going to tell someone who LIVES IN THE COUNTRY that they are wrong?  The hubris, the arrogance, the hypocrisy.

Offline emtee

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 07:38:53 AM »
Me too. He has, in many ways, become the antithesis of everything he used to espouse.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 07:47:29 AM »
Good on her. He's been an insufferable bully way too long.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 08:38:31 AM »
I mean, I'll sit back and munch popcorn while the drama ensues, but I dislike Roger Waters more every day, honestly.  I'd never stop listening to Floyd (I love Gilmour's solo stuff, I don't own one song of Roger's) and if he ever restages The Wall shows I'm there in a heartbeat (top three concert regret in my life).  It's not his position, frankly, he's entitled to that.  It's his refusal to even contemplate that someone might, <GASP!> disagree with him!  He's going to tell someone who LIVES IN THE COUNTRY that they are wrong?  The hubris, the arrogance, the hypocrisy.
[Not directed at you specifically]

And yet here we are in this thread starting out on the basis that Roger must be the one in the wrong here. We both agree that he's entitled to his opinions, but based on what his opinions have been we automatically assume that they're wrong now. In the case of Ukraine I happen to agree with you. Telling the girl she was wrong didn't sit well with me. But what business of it was "Pink Floyd Songwriter" Polly Sampson's?

To be fair, I tend to give Roger a bit more slack on this one because I think we're seeing more of the longstanding refusal to recognize that being anti-Israel is not the same as being antisemitic.

Also, the In the Flesh DVD is probably the single best concert video I own. Seriously, make a point to check it out. And much of the strength of it is from Roger's solo material, which comes off wonderfully with Bramhall Jr. and the band he put together.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Polly Samson (David Gilmour's wife) goes scorched earth on Roger Waters
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 08:57:57 AM »
I honestly have no clue how right or wrong Roger really is about the Israel issue (I honestly have not really followed it enough), but I admittedly never give him the benefit of the doubt because he is always looking for a fight and going after anybody and everybody whom he feels has wronged him, and to see someone throw it back at him publicly for once is a refreshing change.  He is a bully, and bullies don't like getting hit back.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 09:03:50 AM »
I honestly have no clue how right or wrong Roger really is about the Israel issue (I honestly have not really followed it enough), but I admittedly never give him the benefit of the doubt because he is always looking for a fight and going after anybody and everybody whom he feels has wronged him, and to see someone throw it back at him publicly for once is a refreshing change.  He is a bully, and bullies don't like getting hit back.

That's more it for me, too. I don't disagree with Bart, frankly, particularly on that last point. Criticizing Israel or Israeli policy ISN'T being anti-semitic.   I'm not really a fan of Samson either; she often comes off as... I don't know the word, but "limousine liberal" gets you pointed in the right direction.   I've just never warmed to Waters beyond his art - and even then, it's always the personal stuff, not the political stuff that grabbed me; "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" might be my favorite lyric of all time - and nothing he's doing now is going to move me to thaw. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 09:10:15 AM »
I can certainly understand that. I just try to evaluate things as fairly as I can, and that typically requires giving people the benefit of the doubt. Like I said, I have some problems with the guy, too, but that doesn't mean he can't be treated unfairly, or that he can't be right sometimes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 09:17:01 AM »

That's more it for me, too. I don't disagree with Bart, frankly, particularly on that last point. Criticizing Israel or Israeli policy ISN'T being anti-semitic.   I'm not really a fan of Samson either; she often comes off as... I don't know the word, but "limousine liberal" gets you pointed in the right direction.   I've just never warmed to Waters beyond his art - and even then, it's always the personal stuff, not the political stuff that grabbed me; "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" might be my favorite lyric of all time - and nothing he's doing now is going to move me to thaw.
I'd certainly agree with that. However, setting the bar at Shine is a little high, and most of his solo material is from the 80s and 90s. Much of that actually was quite good. The newer stuff isn't really my bag, and largely relies on the live production anyway.

Also, I see a distinction in being profoundly anti-war, which is largely where he lies, and being political. There's no doubt he's politically minded, but the overarching theme of his music remains anti-war. For what it's worth.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 09:19:05 AM »
Waters is a tool.  He's always been a tool.  Nothing is different now.

No matter what causes he espouses, the biggest, most important cause to Roger Waters is his own ego.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 09:42:37 AM »

I'd certainly agree with that. However, setting the bar at Shine is a little high, and most of his solo material is from the 80s and 90s. Much of that actually was quite good. The newer stuff isn't really my bag, and largely relies on the live production anyway.

Also, I see a distinction in being profoundly anti-war, which is largely where he lies, and being political. There's no doubt he's politically minded, but the overarching theme of his music remains anti-war. For what it's worth.

I never really thought about it so specifically, but maybe that's why the music doesn't bug me much.  I actually LOVE The Final Cut. I think that's a great record, and one I go back to a fair amount from the Floyd catalogue. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 09:44:21 AM »
Waters is definitely a massive dbag.
But I do agree with Barto. Criticizing Israel is NOT the same thing as being Anti-Semitic. Something like 2/3rds of Israelis are critical of Israel. And many, many American Jews I know are too.

What we are seeing more and more lately is like a nationwide push to label any critic of Israel as an "Anti-Semite". Gilmour should know better than to stoop to that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2023, 04:56:11 PM »

Same here.  Waters is still one of my top two lyricists ever, no matter how angry, crazy or vindictive he gets.

Unrelated note: the friend with whom I do weekly album reviews and I are doing Animals next week.  :hat :hat

I can certainly understand that. I just try to evaluate things as fairly as I can, and that typically requires giving people the benefit of the doubt. Like I said, I have some problems with the guy, too, but that doesn't mean he can't be treated unfairly, or that he can't be right sometimes.

Agreed. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2023, 08:48:38 PM »
No matter what causes he espouses, the biggest, most important cause to Roger Waters is his own ego.

Not disagreeing you for the most part, but from what little I know I generally believe Roger feels strongly about his opinions, as opposed to those who just use them to gain virtue credit points. Roger is going to believe what he believes regardless of whatever else anyone might think of him. I can at least appreciate that.

Also, the In the Flesh DVD is probably the single best concert video I own. Seriously, make a point to check it out. And much of the strength of it is from Roger's solo material, which comes off wonderfully with Bramhall Jr. and the band he put together.

I used to watch this quite a bit, despite not liking much of his solo material. It was a nice contrast to my then, and now, favorite concert video Delicate Sound of Thunder. I had a hard time liking what Bramhall brought to the band, though after discussions with you I have been able to appreciate him more. Otherwise it is a bang-up band who performs the material wonderfully.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mladen

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 12:41:34 AM »
Unrelated note: the friend with whom I do weekly album reviews and I are doing Animals next week.  :hat :hat
Where can we watch/read this?  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 06:07:48 AM »
Where can we watch/read this?  :tup

Our smart phones. :lol :P

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2023, 08:25:07 AM »

I used to watch this quite a bit, despite not liking much of his solo material. It was a nice contrast to my then, and now, favorite concert video Delicate Sound of Thunder. I had a hard time liking what Bramhall brought to the band, though after discussions with you I have been able to appreciate him more. Otherwise it is a bang-up band who performs the material wonderfully.
Interesting. I greatly prefer Pulse to DSoT. I'm not so much a fan of the newer material, which both are heavy on, but the staging on the Pulse tour was as good as it's ever been done.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2023, 08:27:04 AM »
I'm also a Pulse fan.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2023, 12:41:31 PM »
Roger Waters is vile IMO   I cant stand him
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2023, 01:45:38 PM »
Pulse is a work of art. Beautiful visuals, great sound....

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2023, 02:35:30 PM »
Whether right or wrong, really getting tired of spouses fanning the flames. Polly, here, Neal Schon's wife Michaele. Enough already. Let the musicians come to terms (or not) on their own accord.

As for Waters, I never much cared for the way he expressed his beliefs. He looks down on everyone, and it's a big turn-off. Not going to weigh in on this latest thing, but nothing surprises me with Roger.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2023, 03:10:10 PM »
He addressed the United Nations Security Council earlier today. No, really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZXMmRg9ZcU

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2023, 03:41:11 PM »
Pulse is awesome, but I am probably still a little partial to the original Delicate Sound of Thunder VHS release (not the largely-edited recent re-release), as that is one of the two concert videos I watched more times than I can count in the 90s, Rush's A Show of Hands being the other.  Plus, it has for me the definitive versions of both Sorrow and One of These Days. And I will admit that for as great as Pulse is, I am still a little disappointed that they didn't record one of the outdoor shows for it.   The mirror ball coming up from the ground in the middle of the fans and slowly peeling apart during the Comfortably Numb solo was way more awesome than it hanging from the ceiling.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2023, 03:48:17 PM »
He addressed the United Nations Security Council earlier today. No, really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZXMmRg9ZcU

There goes old Rog on another one of his turns.  :facepalm:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2023, 04:08:20 PM »
Whether right or wrong, really getting tired of spouses fanning the flames. Polly, here, Neal Schon's wife Michaele. Enough already. Let the musicians come to terms (or not) on their own accord.

I keep wondering how much of this is coordinated between the spouses.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2023, 05:55:03 PM »
Re: DSOT vs Pulse. I hold DSoT in rarefied air for several reasons.

* It was my first full intro to Floyd. I knew the radio hits, but this was the first album of theirs I bought. It opened the door to their catalog, which opened the door to 70s rock, which opened the door to prog from the late 60s, which opened the door to prog-metal, which led me here.
* I am lukewarm on the post-RW Floyd albums, but I enjoy the AMLoR songs performed live much more than the TDB songs.
* I don't need or want a full play through of DSotM.
* There is something about the stage production I prefer that I cannon explain. I really like how dark it is.

I remember when my parents bought me the CD (the blinking light!) as a surprise. After a couple listens, I was happy to have High Hopes, but it didn't bring anything to the table to make me want to take DSoT out of its semi-permanent residency in the 6-disc CD changer.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2023, 06:50:27 PM »
Ok…I was trying to stay on the fence but this is flipping stupid!

Roger has re-recorded DSOTM…claimed it’s his album anyway and that none of the three other band members were capable of writing a song.

I’m so freaking done with him.  :facepalm:

https://kzok.iheart.com/content/2023-02-08-roger-waters-rerecorded-the-dark-side-of-the-moon-without-pink-floyd/?Pname=local_social&Keyid=socialflow&Sc=editorial&fbclid=IwAR1lZzigccU4wEmXLFEUHlDpCsYEYavCiZLgCsDjMzTcHamXhDyXP3eSPz8
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2023, 08:07:53 PM »
How exactly does one get invited to speak at the United Nations Security Council? Who at he UN went to a meeting and said out loud "You know, we should invite Roger Waters to talk to us, what do y'all think?"

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2023, 08:10:11 PM »
Who at the UN went to a meeting and said out loud "You know, we should invite Roger Waters to talk to us, what do y'all think?"
Russia.

(I'm not joking, that's legitimately the answer, as bonkers as it sounds)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2023, 08:23:17 PM »
I am so happy I never gave Roger any money to go see any of his tours.  He's always been a bit of a megalomaniac, but he is off the rails now.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2023, 06:59:42 AM »
I am so happy I never gave Roger any money to go see any of his tours.  He's always been a bit of a megalomaniac, but he is off the rails now.

Yep.  It's time someone put him in the Fletcher Memorial Home.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2023, 10:03:34 AM »
Ok…I was trying to stay on the fence but this is flipping stupid!

Roger has re-recorded DSOTM…claimed it’s his album anyway and that none of the three other band members were capable of writing a song.

I’m so freaking done with him.  :facepalm:

https://kzok.iheart.com/content/2023-02-08-roger-waters-rerecorded-the-dark-side-of-the-moon-without-pink-floyd/?Pname=local_social&Keyid=socialflow&Sc=editorial&fbclid=IwAR1lZzigccU4wEmXLFEUHlDpCsYEYavCiZLgCsDjMzTcHamXhDyXP3eSPz8
What a fuckhead.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2023, 10:17:33 AM »
It seems that Roger has become the liberal Ted Nugent. Regardless of whether he's right or not, he's to be shunned. Can't say that I saw that coming. I've said all along that if I liked his music I'd go to see his shows. I'm glad to say that the same applies to Roger.
E.F. Benson