Author Topic: Polly Samson (David Gilmour's wife) goes scorched earth on Roger Waters  (Read 3323 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Polly Samson (David Gilmour's wife) goes scorched earth on Roger Waters
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2023, 10:59:31 AM »
Roger Waters is an asshole.

He's been saying for years basically that writing the lyrics = writing the song.  Therefore he wrote all of those 70's songs.  Him, alone.  Apparently that even includes "The Great Gig in the Sky" which has no lyrics.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2023, 11:26:27 AM »
Roger Waters is an asshole.

He's been saying for years basically that writing the lyrics = writing the song.  Therefore he wrote all of those 70's songs.  Him, alone.  Apparently that even includes "The Great Gig in the Sky" which has no lyrics.
On his new version, there is apparently spoken word stuff over the instrumentals.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2023, 11:33:07 AM »
Whether right or wrong, really getting tired of spouses fanning the flames. Polly, here, Neal Schon's wife Michaele. Enough already. Let the musicians come to terms (or not) on their own accord.

I keep wondering how much of this is coordinated between the spouses.

Don't leave out Mrs. Gillette, on a much smaller scale. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2023, 01:47:25 PM »
How exactly does one get invited to speak at the United Nations Security Council? Who at he UN went to a meeting and said out loud "You know, we should invite Roger Waters to talk to us, what do y'all think?"

not to go down the political rabbit hole  but the UN is Antisemetic trash  so of course they invite all haters of the Jewish People and Israel.   This is a delicate subject but Roger is not just against Israel but is IMO a bigot and a simple hater of the Jewish people and knows the damage he does

Mods are welcome to remove this post if its not proper   but thats my VIEW
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 11:43:53 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Polly Samson (David Gilmour's wife) goes scorced earth on Roger Waters
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2023, 01:52:06 PM »
. . .we're seeing more of the longstanding refusal to recognize that being anti-Israel is not the same as being antisemitic.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2023, 05:10:52 PM »
I am so happy I never gave Roger any money to go see any of his tours.  He's always been a bit of a megalomaniac, but he is off the rails now.

I see your point, but you missed out. The Wall was the single greatest concert experience I've ever had. Us + Them was amazing too. This Is Not A Drill was still great, but the politics and preaching started getting obnoxious - and I lean the same direction, politically, as Roger. After all this, I definitely won't be attending more.

Brit Floyd is where it's at for me now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2023, 05:38:40 PM »
I am so happy I never gave Roger any money to go see any of his tours.  He's always been a bit of a megalomaniac, but he is off the rails now.

I see your point, but you missed out. The Wall was the single greatest concert experience I've ever had. Us + Them was amazing too. This Is Not A Drill was still great, but the politics and preaching started getting obnoxious - and I lean the same direction, politically, as Roger. After all this, I definitely won't be attending more.

I get all this, but I can be turned off by someone being such an asshole that it makes me want to not give them money for concerts or anything.  I skipped the last two VH reunion tours with Roth because I was so turned off by how shabbily the brothers treated Michael Anthony, for example.  In retrospect, do I wish I had gone?  Maybe, but it's how I felt in the moment.  And I am well aware that Roger doesn't need my money to continue being the rich asshole that he is.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2023, 06:04:57 PM »

I get all this, but I can be turned off by someone being such an asshole that it makes me want to not give them money for concerts or anything.  I skipped the last two VH reunion tours with Roth because I was so turned off by how shabbily the brothers treated Michael Anthony, for example.  In retrospect, do I wish I had gone?  Maybe, but it's how I felt in the moment.  And I am well aware that Roger doesn't need my money to continue being the rich asshole that he is.

I totally understand - and agree with your sentiment on the Michael Anthony treatment. I am the same way. The recent Porcupine Tree situation with Colin Edwin, and to a lesser extent John Wesley, soured me on their reunion.

I try to separate the art from the artist, but sometimes it gets too difficult.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2023, 08:08:17 PM »

I totally understand - and agree with your sentiment on the Michael Anthony treatment. I am the same way. The recent Porcupine Tree situation with Colin Edwin, and to a lesser extent John Wesley, soured me on their reunion.

I try to separate the art from the artist, but sometimes it gets too difficult.

Funny, not bringing John Wesley back, for me, just made wanting to see PT again that much greater, and besides he was only ever a hired hand and never a really member anyway (thank God!!), so leaving him behind was likely easy and should have not make Wilson or the others lose any sleep.  Okay, enough of that tangent... :lol :lol

The Wall has been my all-time favorite album more often than not for the last 30+ years (I think Dark Side is better, but my connection to The Wall is closer), and I did regret not going to that tour a bit, but I was strapped for cash at the time and it wasn't cheap.  Had it been a musician I really like on a personality level, ala Neal Morse or Taylor Swift for me these days, I am sure I would have found a way to make it work, but Roger being the bitter bastard that he always is :lol, I just couldn't pull the trigger at the time.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2023, 08:33:55 PM »
Sweet KZOK!

So in the past 24 hours, I learned that Roger 1) was invited to speak at the UN by Russia, and 2) recorded his own version of an album previously released by a band he hasn't been a part of in nearly 40 years.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2023, 06:13:36 AM »
Just my two cents; I think each case is different, though.   I don't feel about VH the way I do about Roger Waters.  We don't know what part of the behind the scenes is what makes it into the public announcements.  I struggle to accept that Michael Anthony signed anything under duress.   At least Roger is being an asshole for everyone to see. In fact, I get the sense with Roger that the public announcements are WORSE than the behind the scenes in some ways.  He strikes me as a keyboard warrior, in the sense that on stage it's not a dialogue, there's no serve and volley.  It's just him preaching and moving on.  It's really easy when you don't have to account for the other point of view.

Offline MrMike

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2023, 11:36:59 AM »
Roger has always been an opinionated, outspoken loose cannon, but my god has he gone off the deep end with these latest comments.  David Gilmour and Richard Wright were "not artists"???  Insulting AND incredibly inaccurate IMO.  Yes he was very skilled at writing compelling lyrics, but if he really now believes he could've recorded DSOTM in 1973 with any other group of musicians and seen it be just as successful, he's a certifiable loon.

I did quite enjoy some of his solo shows over the years (The Wall was one of the best productions I've ever seen), but I had to pass when I saw videos of his latest tour.  On those gigantic video screens, he typed text messages throughout the whole show.  So in addition to all the images depicting his political views, you now are asked to READ for 2 hours.  At a rock show.  No thanks.

When Waters and Mason's ASOS both came through town in October, it was a no brainer to see Nick's band (and it was a blast).  Waters has become so consumed with espousing political propaganda, his "art" is no longer fun IMO.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2023, 01:52:16 PM »
I did quite enjoy some of his solo shows over the years (The Wall was one of the best productions I've ever seen), but I had to pass when I saw videos of his latest tour.  On those gigantic video screens, he typed text messages throughout the whole show.  So in addition to all the images depicting his political views, you now are asked to READ for 2 hours.  At a rock show.  No thanks.

I don't recall reading much at all at his show. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2023, 06:26:33 AM »
Roger has always been an opinionated, outspoken loose cannon, but my god has he gone off the deep end with these latest comments.  David Gilmour and Richard Wright were "not artists"???  Insulting AND incredibly inaccurate IMO.  Yes he was very skilled at writing compelling lyrics, but if he really now believes he could've recorded DSOTM in 1973 with any other group of musicians and seen it be just as successful, he's a certifiable loon.

Agreed. To me, there is no doubt that Roger Waters was the brains behind the concepts and themes of the four albums from the 1973-1979 era, but the contributions of both Gilmour and Wright are immeasurable.  None of those albums are nearly as good without those two as well.  Amused to Death is a good example of great Roger writing without those two around. Damn good album, and I think had it been a Floyd album with the others putting their musical stamps all over it, it could have been on the level of those four 70's Floyd albums (I am dead serious), but, even with Jeff Beck appearing on it at times, it's just feels like it's missing something musically, like it needed a bit more color and personality.  Take a song like It's a Miracle, which was good on the album, but a monster live when Jon Carin, who has long done a good job at mimicking Richard Wright's sound and style, was there to add synths and textures similar to what Wright could/would have done.  But I think Roger's hate and bitterness have rendered him incapable of being rational about this anymore.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2023, 11:11:01 AM »
I will say this: I have known since becoming a big fan in Pink Floyd in 1990 that Roger was a bitter dude and a bit of a jerk (among other things), but it has never affected my enjoyment of his music.  I gave Animals some fresh spins on the big stereo the last few days and was blown again by how great it is. Roger's lyrics and concept on that album are still nothing short of magnificent.  He's an ass, but a damn brilliant one in his prime.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2023, 10:56:51 AM »

Agreed. To me, there is no doubt that Roger Waters was the brains behind the concepts and themes of the four albums from the 1973-1979 era, but the contributions of both Gilmour and Wright are immeasurable.  None of those albums are nearly as good without those two as well.  Amused to Death is a good example of great Roger writing without those two around. Damn good album, and I think had it been a Floyd album with the others putting their musical stamps all over it, it could have been on the level of those four 70's Floyd albums (I am dead serious), but, even with Jeff Beck appearing on it at times, it's just feels like it's missing something musically, like it needed a bit more color and personality.  Take a song like It's a Miracle, which was good on the album, but a monster live when Jon Carin, who has long done a good job at mimicking Richard Wright's sound and style, was there to add synths and textures similar to what Wright could/would have done.  But I think Roger's hate and bitterness have rendered him incapable of being rational about this anymore.

I think it's all what you're looking for; except for The Wall, where it's virtually impossible to not be invested in the story (because of the sound effects and transition pieces) I don't actually listen to ANY Floyd record "for the concept", even The Final Cut.  It's just a good set of songs that all sort of work well together.  For Roger, that's what's important.   For others, maybe not so much.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2023, 03:10:25 PM »

I think it's all what you're looking for; except for The Wall, where it's virtually impossible to not be invested in the story (because of the sound effects and transition pieces) I don't actually listen to ANY Floyd record "for the concept", even The Final Cut. It's just a good set of songs that all sort of work well together. For Roger, that's what's important.   For others, maybe not so much.

Right, I cannot relate to Roger's story in The Wall personally, but I still think it's fantastically told.  Dark Side of the Moon is obviously far more universal with its themes, simply put, about life and death (and etc.).

Honestly, the bolded describes most concept albums I love.  None of Neal Morse's concept albums with religious/spiritual overtones are ones I can relate to personally, but they are always so well put together that I cannot help but love them.  It's the difference between watching a film that tells a single story (the concept album) vs a film of a bunch of short stories (an album full on non-related songs). Both work great when done well, but a concept album done well is often a whole other animal.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2023, 02:54:22 PM »
I will say this: I have known since becoming a big fan in Pink Floyd in 1990 that Roger was a bitter dude and a bit of a jerk (among other things), but it has never affected my enjoyment of his music.  I gave Animals some fresh spins on the big stereo the last few days and was blown again by how great it is. Roger's lyrics and concept on that album are still nothing short of magnificent.  He's an ass, but a damn brilliant one in his prime.

Sounds like somebody else likes it too.