Author Topic: This or That - DT edition  (Read 6349 times)

Offline billboy73

Re: This or That - DT edition
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2023, 12:33:36 PM »
-I will go with A View from the Top... over Illumination.  I just think if flows a little better.

-I'll go with Once In a Livetime.  I picked it up not that long ago for $4.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2023, 04:43:58 PM »
Chaos In Motion.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2023, 09:38:09 AM »
Chaos In Motion, easily. That's such a cool compilation that played a big part in me becoming a fan years ago.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2023, 11:41:37 AM »
Both are bad live albums

OILT wins for me though.

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2023, 02:39:48 PM »

Offline Trav86

« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2023, 07:20:09 AM »
Either time changes things, or it is the number of newer fans. Either way I知 surprised by a lot of this. I remember most fans were fine with OIALT, well, until LSFNY came out. Then opinions started changing. CIM was criticized from day one and now people seem to have nice things to say about it.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2023, 08:29:18 AM »
Both are bad live albums
Kind of, yeah.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2023, 12:24:56 PM »
Either time changes things, or it is the number of newer fans. Either way I知 surprised by a lot of this. I remember most fans were fine with OIALT, well, until LSFNY came out. Then opinions started changing. CIM was criticized from day one and now people seem to have nice things to say about it.

Yeah OIALT isn't a bad live album at all, it's just nowhere near the standard of the ones we've gotten since like LSFNY, Budokan, or Score.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2023, 12:50:38 PM »

Yeah OIALT isn't a bad live album at all, it's just nowhere near the standard of the ones we've gotten since like LSFNY, Budokan, or Score.
So, it's substandard?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2023, 12:56:20 PM »

Huh. I hated OIALT from Day 1 and loved CiM from Day 1.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2023, 01:40:38 PM »
I prefer Disappear to Space-Dye Vest.  But I must say, the margin is a lot smaller than it used to be.

There was a time when I couldn't stand SDV, but my appreciation of it has grown quite a bit over the last several years.

The BTFW live version is what turned it around for me.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2023, 02:10:33 PM »
I prefer Disappear to Space-Dye Vest.  But I must say, the margin is a lot smaller than it used to be.

There was a time when I couldn't stand SDV, but my appreciation of it has grown quite a bit over the last several years.

The BTFW live version is what turned it around for me.
It is certainly very good.  :tup

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2023, 08:04:05 AM »
Honestly, those two are some of my least favorite live albums, but there's still some stuff that's quite good on both of them. This time, however, CIM took the lead, and that was actually the first DT live album I bought on DVD, so while it isn't that good, it's a bit special to me in that regard :tup

1. TDEN 10 - 9 S2N
2. SDV 8 - 13 Disappear
3. PBD 7 - 7 TA
4. Budokan 10 - 9 Score
5. LTE (1) 3 - 3 LTE (2)
6. IT 6 - 11 AVFTTOTW
7. OIALT 5 - 7 CIM

For round 8 I want to compare two instrumentals that, while they have nothing in common really, for whatever reason they remind me of each other. Maybe it's because they've both been played live with a drum solo in the middle and then the band comes in after a specific drum fill...

Ytse Jam vs Enigma Machine
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2023, 08:49:58 AM »
I dont dislike Enigma Machine, but Ytse Jam fairly easily for me. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2023, 09:01:55 AM »
Same

Online pg1067

« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2023, 09:51:46 AM »

Same.  Not counting stuff on TA and non album things like Moon Bubbles, Enigma Machine is probably my lowest ranked DT instrumental, whereas (The) Ytse Jam probably ranks 4th (behind SOC, TDOE and Overture 1928.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Mladen

« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2023, 12:21:57 PM »
For round 8 I want to compare two instrumentals that, while they have nothing in common really, for whatever reason they remind me of each other. Maybe it's because they've both been played live with a drum solo in the middle and then the band comes in after a specific drum fill...

I actually prefer Enigma Machine. It's really in your face.  :metal

Offline Trav86

« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2023, 05:32:28 PM »

Huh. I hated OIALT from Day 1 and loved CiM from Day 1.

I think you are an exception. I知 basing this on the Portnoy forum back in the day.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2023, 07:59:06 AM »

I actually prefer Enigma Machine. It's really in your face.  :metal

I think I'd have to lean this way too, but since neither of my favorite instrumentals (Dance of Eternity and Hell's Kitchen) are in the running, I'm kind of ambiguous.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2023, 08:24:37 AM »
Agree, I would go Enigma Machine as well.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2023, 06:54:33 PM »
This is a bit of a toss-up for me, I'll go with Ytse Jam. It helps that it is one of the better songs on a lower tier album versus a mid-tier song on a mid-tier album.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2023, 07:11:43 AM »

YTSEJAM - not my favorite DT instrumental, but it is an undeniable classic.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2023, 07:49:41 AM »
Ytse Jam, the first ever exposure to DT I ever had is when my buddy who worked at McDonalds with me told me to go download something called ytsem jam from KaZaa. I did and it started at the drum solo from Live At Tokyo. Thinking it was cool I looked up the most recent release and it was Six Degrees. 20+ years later I'm here posting on the DT forums.