Author Topic: Obesity  (Read 10671 times)

Offline Awaken

Re: Obesity
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2023, 07:25:54 AM »
Harmony,
Look up a dude named Thomas Delauer. He's got a bunch of videos so I would be interested in your opinion.

Lots of red flags for me, TBH.  He calls himself a nutritionist.  This is essentially a meaningless term because there is no regulatory body that monitors this.  I can take an on-line course in a day and call myself a nutritionist.  That doesn't mean I know anything about nutrition.

I see a lot of fear mongering around food.  The only "bad" food is food you are allergic to or food that you shouldn't eat because of a medical condition.  For example, if someone has celiac disease, they should avoid gluten.  Oh and if you hate something...like I hate beets, then I would avoid that food.  I guess I'd add that I respect people who have dietary restrictions because of their religious beliefs.  But everything else can be worked into my diet in moderation.  Food is not inherently bad or good.  And I dislike people who fear monger food especially when they do not provide scientific data to back it up.  And from what I saw from Delauer, he does not provide science to back up his claims.  Huge red flags.

Personal beliefs now....I am not a fan of keto or IF.  Anyone can lose weight by cutting out an entire macronutrient.  Can the average person sustain this for the rest of their lives?  Carbohydrates serve very important functions in our bodies.  Our brains especially need carbohydrates to function.  Why do we need to cut out an entire macronutrient from our diet?  I had gestational diabetes and guess what?  I could still have carbs in moderation and nobody ever told me to cut them out completely.  Fruits are beneficial for us.  Whole grains are beneficial for us.  Fiber is beneficial for us.  Why would we avoid them?

Fasting is just another way to eat in a calorie deficit.  Again, why not just learn how to eat in a calorie deficit?  Why all these food rules that are not sustainable for the long term?  I see someone in Delauer who is pushing the latest trend in eating and is seemingly ignoring the basic building blocks of nutrition - likely because he doesn't have a strong background in basic nutrition, like a registered dietician would have.

And anyone who talks about "inflammation" just makes me roll my eyes.  When someone you know starts going on about inflammation ask them specifically what in their body is inflamed and how do they know that?  And how do they know a specific food is causing it?  The answer will be because some dude on TikTok or IG told them it does.  You know what causes inflammation in the body?  Exercise.  Seriously, look it up.  Do you think Delauer is going to give up exercising because it causes inflammation?  Of course not.

I could go on, but I think I will stop there.  Bottom line is that there are a lot of charlatans out there spreading misinformation.  It can be very difficult to weed through the crap and find the people who know the science.  But it is worth seeking out those who truly do.  Want some smart people to check out?

Zach Coen - RD
Dr. Idz
Layne Norton, PhD in Nutritional Sciences
Elaina Efird, RD
Luke Hanna, PT and nutritionist (who posts science based info)
AndyDoesHealthy, RD

And the current #1 nutrition podcast "Cut the Crap" with Beth Feraco and Matt Laar - they interview some of the best science backed folks I've ever found in one place (every Friday).  But with lots of F-bombs so not for the faint of heart.  No punches pulled.  Just facts backed up by evidence and zero bull shit.

Love this list and couldn't agree more that trying to make sense out of the overabundance of opinions is daunting to say the least.  A couple more I'd recommend adding to your list, and only because they've helped me understand more about the role hormone optimization plays in weight management.  It's not as easy as 'calories in' vs 'calories out' for a lot of people, and a common denominator for most is hormone levels that are way outside of normal range(s).  I had to start having annual bloodwork (not the annual physical kind, they don't typically go far enough) through Inside Tracker.  It's pricey, but has paid incredible dividends for my personal journey with weight issues.  For my mother, it threw up a red flag re: the thyroid levels and led her dr to find her thyroid cancer extremely early.

Dr. Andrew Huberman (Huberman Lab podcast - my newest addiction.  Specializes in no-cost, science based tools for every day life)
Dr. Rhonda Patrick (foundmyfitness on most social platforms)

Wishing all in this thread well with their journeys.  It's a process and will have peaks and valleys, there are no shortcuts..  Stay the course, nothing is more worthwhile than your health. 

Or as JP says:
With each treasure found
another shipwreck's washed ashore
I am carried by the current
on a slow and steady course

:metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2023, 07:51:50 AM »
But first, a question for you because I want to be sure I understand.  Do you believe that people who have struggled for years and are still struggling should be entitled to be considered by a licensed health care professional for use of fat loss medication?  And let's just assume that along with the prescription, they also receive proper education around diet and exercise.

Before I answer, let me ask you to clarify..  ;D

Define struggling.

Well played sir, well played.   :lol

And of course, you cut to the heart of it.  Struggling is a value judgment and I cannot determine for someone else if they are struggling.  But since we are talking about the medical field, I guess we could use parameters that perhaps an insurance company might.  So BMI (which I hate) in the obese category for a number of years.  Have previously been referred to RD or other nutrition education and completed that.  Verbalizes desire to make changes; appears motivated to follow through.  Perhaps has another health condition that may make the issue of weight loss more difficult, like a physical disability, or some other form of metabolic disease/disorder.  Someone with a history of an eating disorder or learning disability.  I'm sure if I had more time ATM I could make a case for people who struggle with depression or other major mental illness.  I heard a story the other day about a woman who lost a child 5 years ago and in her grief and depression turned to food for comfort and her weight ballooned up to the point she can't get a handle on it but very much wants to....is in therapy and working on her grief/loss issues.  If she could use medication to drop the first 50, perhaps that would be a big motivator to keep going, you know?

The thing about a broken leg is that...it's broken and everyone can see it. There's no debate about the fact that it's broken and the cause of the fracture.

Things like obesity..the ultimate cause can likely be a mystery. On one side of the spectrum, you have personal responsibility, and on the other side, you have either a deep physiological (and I mean chemical imbalance) reason or a deep mental (again, chemical) reason. So voluntary vs involuntary.

Then there's the wide gap in the middle where the two meet, and that is always going to be the debate.

If you're born without a leg, I can't behoove you for adding a prosthesis. It's not my place to say...you can't have it. Fucking deal with it.
Similarly, if you have a genetic disposition to being unable to properly digest food and it causes you to gain weight, then who am I to say that, like a prosthesis, you should not be able to receive something that aids in proper digestion with the hopes that it does lead to weight loss.
So that is my overarching position.

Now the rambling..

In the above post, you say "that along with the prescription, they also receive proper education around diet and exercise."
Are we suggesting that the receiving script is dependent upon participating in a diet or exercise regimen? While that sounds pretty hard core, the other side is that I have an extremely hard time accepting that people are ignorant of diet and exercise. I had both PhysEd and Health in high school. I can't blame the schools for us not knowing these things. People don't know that junk food is bad and exercise is good? I will always call bullshit on that.

Eating right, and I mean RIGHT, requires a major commitment in lifestyle. Who has time for that? Who can parse out what foods break down properly? Preparation time and knowledge, cost...all major impediments..er...excuses.

I was recently diagnosed with NASH (Non Alcoholic Steato Hepititis). It's serious shit. I've had to stop drinking beer (One month yesterday!!) which sucks because I love beer. I have to radically overhaul how I eat going forward.

On top of that, I am diabetic. Diagnosed at 30. NOT overweight by any stretch. I mean is 5'10" 185 overweight. Sure, I guess a little, but I've been in the 180-185 range for 40 years. I'm quite slim and have a very little fat on me.
My pancreas simply started slowing down, and now it's basically useless. I'm on both Lantis and Trulicity, and while "I can always eat better", my body simply doesn't work properly.

But I can never go into "poor me" territory and fuck it all, get fat, and then complain about it. It's on me to do the best I can going forward.

I get upset when I hear some overweight guy say that are diabetic. My thought is...do you have real diabetes, or are you just exhibiting diabetic symptoms because you're not taking care of yourself? I worked with a guy that shot insulin before each meal, but fucking ate like a pig. If I'm his insurance, do I shut this guy off?

I know 3 people personally that have had the stomach staple surgery and two of them have gained all of their weight back. One has physiological challenges and the other has mental challenges. Both gave up before their surgeries and have given up after their surgeries. I don't believe either of them have taken any extra steps to address their root causes. I know another guy that has gained back most of his weight. Not sure why.

This middle ground between Voluntary vs Involuntary is the ultimate debate here. Who decides? Should be the patient and their care giver ideally. But Insurance companies will want a seat at the table. Government will want a seat at the table. Social commentators will want a seat at the table.

I don't want to absolve anyone of their personal responsibility. We do this way too easily.
I went graduated high school almost 40 years ago. I learned that slavery was bad and I learned food pyramid and that exercise was good. We have to stop blaming schools. The thing is, we have so much information available to us, it seems the more info we have, the dumber we are getting. The more we learn about things, the more excuses we are giving our selves. Ater all, it's not my fault.

Actually, it's not my fault that I have diabetes. But it is my fault if I contribute to it killing me earlier than it it's supposed to. I feel so bad for young people who die of cancer. They had no fucking choice in the matter.

To bring this back on topic, Obesity is one thing that we have more choice over than we want to acknowledge. Not everyone, of course. That's my personal opinion. Does having this opinion make me judgmental? I don't think it necessarily does. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2023, 12:48:04 PM »
Hey thanks @Awaken - I will check those ppl out.

The thing about a broken leg is that...it's broken and everyone can see it. There's no debate about the fact that it's broken and the cause of the fracture.

Things like obesity..the ultimate cause can likely be a mystery. On one side of the spectrum, you have personal responsibility, and on the other side, you have either a deep physiological (and I mean chemical imbalance) reason or a deep mental (again, chemical) reason. So voluntary vs involuntary.

Then there's the wide gap in the middle where the two meet, and that is always going to be the debate.

If you're born without a leg, I can't behoove you for adding a prosthesis. It's not my place to say...you can't have it. Fucking deal with it.
Similarly, if you have a genetic disposition to being unable to properly digest food and it causes you to gain weight, then who am I to say that, like a prosthesis, you should not be able to receive something that aids in proper digestion with the hopes that it does lead to weight loss.

I don't find fault with this.  Obesity is a complex medical condition with many contributing factors.  Some visible, some invisible.  Just like with people using a handicapped placard in their car - some feel as though they can judge a person based on what they look like and determine if they are using this permit appropriately.  My mom had degenerative disc disease and for years let her pride get in the way of her obtaining this permit.  Toward the end of her life, when she could no longer walk more than a block without extreme pain, she "broke down" (her words) and got one.  She'd get all kinds of busybodies telling her she was abusing the system because some days her mobility was better than other days.  Some days she didn't look like she was struggling, but if she walked any length of distance she'd get a flair up and be stuck in bed for 2 or 3 days.

So same here.  Hopefully we agree that this complex medical condition doesn't look the same from person to person.  We may see the outward signs of obesity but we don't have the facts of what is going on inside of that person.  I have a good friend with PCOS which is a severe hormonal imbalance that she has struggled with her whole life.  And because of this, she is obese.  Can she work harder to lose weight and improve her health?  Probably, but while I can judge her by looking at her or asking her what she does for diet and activity, I cannot look at her and tell her what her hormones are doing or how her hormones are responding to her medication regime.

I have an extremely hard time accepting that people are ignorant of diet and exercise. I had both PhysEd and Health in high school. I can't blame the schools for us not knowing these things. People don't know that junk food is bad and exercise is good? I will always call bullshit on that.

Eating right, and I mean RIGHT, requires a major commitment in lifestyle. Who has time for that? Who can parse out what foods break down properly? Preparation time and knowledge, cost...all major impediments..er...excuses.

I know that our culture has really strong views on "hard work" and many people don't like the idea that someone can somehow "cheat" that and have an easier time with things than they did.  But I do have to push back on the "ignorance" that various people have around diet and exercise.  If you had parents that didn't cook and gave you chicken nuggets your entire life because that was the only thing you'd eat.  How much knowledge do you have around nutrition?  If you grew up bouncing around from foster care to foster care, how do you learn life skills, let alone proper diet and nutrition?  Oh sure, we like to vilify foods and point to something like cheetos as "bad" for us and yet I can eat a proper portion of cheetos every day and still lose weight and stay within my calories goals.  So everyone "knows junk food is bad" but do they?  What makes something "junk food"?  Is what you consider "junk food" the same definition that other people on this thread have?  I'd bet you every person participating on this thread eats something they don't consider "junk food" but has the same exact calorie/fat/salt breakdown as a big mac or a bag of chips.  This is nuanced shit.  And even so-called experts don't agree.

was recently diagnosed with NASH (Non Alcoholic Steato Hepititis). It's serious shit. I've had to stop drinking beer (One month yesterday!!) which sucks because I love beer. I have to radically overhaul how I eat going forward.

On top of that, I am diabetic. Diagnosed at 30. NOT overweight by any stretch. I mean is 5'10" 185 overweight. Sure, I guess a little, but I've been in the 180-185 range for 40 years. I'm quite slim and have a very little fat on me.
My pancreas simply started slowing down, and now it's basically useless. I'm on both Lantis and Trulicity, and while "I can always eat better", my body simply doesn't work properly.

But I can never go into "poor me" territory and fuck it all, get fat, and then complain about it. It's on me to do the best I can going forward.

I get upset when I hear some overweight guy say that are diabetic. My thought is...do you have real diabetes, or are you just exhibiting diabetic symptoms because you're not taking care of yourself? I worked with a guy that shot insulin before each meal, but fucking ate like a pig. If I'm his insurance, do I shut this guy off?

I know 3 people personally that have had the stomach staple surgery and two of them have gained all of their weight back. One has physiological challenges and the other has mental challenges. Both gave up before their surgeries and have given up after their surgeries. I don't believe either of them have taken any extra steps to address their root causes. I know another guy that has gained back most of his weight. Not sure why.

This middle ground between Voluntary vs Involuntary is the ultimate debate here. Who decides? Should be the patient and their care giver ideally. But Insurance companies will want a seat at the table. Government will want a seat at the table. Social commentators will want a seat at the table.

I don't want to absolve anyone of their personal responsibility. We do this way too easily.
I went graduated high school almost 40 years ago. I learned that slavery was bad and I learned food pyramid and that exercise was good. We have to stop blaming schools. The thing is, we have so much information available to us, it seems the more info we have, the dumber we are getting. The more we learn about things, the more excuses we are giving our selves. Ater all, it's not my fault.

Actually, it's not my fault that I have diabetes. But it is my fault if I contribute to it killing me earlier than it it's supposed to. I feel so bad for young people who die of cancer. They had no fucking choice in the matter.

To bring this back on topic, Obesity is one thing that we have more choice over than we want to acknowledge. Not everyone, of course. That's my personal opinion. Does having this opinion make me judgmental? I don't think it necessarily does.

Sorry to hear about your health issues but I am impressed that you are taking charge of them and doing the hard things you need to do to keep your body on track.  This shit is hard.  Change is hard.  People don't like change.  People don't committing to doing hard things.  If it were easy, this thread would not exist.

But consider this - there are people walking around out there with very little body fat who take zero effort to keep it that way.  I hate know people like that.  They will say things like, "I have good genes."  And as previously discussed that is definitely part of what makes this issue complex.  So we have this small group of people who through no effort at all can keep a lower body fat percentage without having to think about what foods they eat or what exercise they do.  Is that fair?  It certainly isn't something they control and life isn't fair.  But if we can acknowledge these people exist then why do we (collective we - not you) have a problem acknowledging that there are people for whom the exact opposite is true?  And why would we begrudge them use of a medication that could drastically change their health and lessen the impact on the healthcare system?

Will there be people in the middle area who just want to "cheat" and use the medication without putting in the effort?  Of course there will be.  There are people who are willing to cheat in every facet of their lives.  There are people who pretend to be disabled to collect a check.  There are people who pretend to be sick in order to get money through a Go Fund Me page.  These people will always be with us and honestly it is these people who literally take away from those who truly need the help.  So do we not help those that truly need it because someone else might game the system and cheat? 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2023, 03:38:21 PM »

But if we can acknowledge these people exist then why do we (collective we - not you) have a problem acknowledging that there are people for whom the exact opposite is true?  And why would we begrudge them use of a medication that could drastically change their health and lessen the impact on the healthcare system?

As I bolded above, I'm with you.

Will there be people in the middle area who just want to "cheat" and use the medication without putting in the effort?  Of course there will be.  There are people who are willing to cheat in every facet of their lives.  There are people who pretend to be disabled to collect a check.  There are people who pretend to be sick in order to get money through a Go Fund Me page.  These people will always be with us and honestly it is these people who literally take away from those who truly need the help. So do we not help those that truly need it because someone else might game the system and cheat?

We help them, because as you say, cheaters gonna cheat.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2023, 10:20:34 PM »
Pretty much summed up what I was alluding to Tim with people lying to themselves.  Agree with all of that.  Your diabetes statement in your post is bang on.  Love your mindset.

Harmony has mentioned a couple of times though about looking at others and wondering why people can eat whatever and not get fat etc.  That's
not a great mindset To have IMO (not saying you have that Harmony).  You can't do anything about anyone else.  If you let others success influence you in an envious manner then you are destined to fail.  Who is to say some people can eat what they want and not put on weight.  You are not around those people 24 hours a day.  I could eat like a pig in front of people and have people say that about me but no one sees the work I put in and how much I grind each day.

People have to stop worrying about others and focus on them and what they can do to improve.  More accountability is needed IMO and people need to look more at their own actions, not others.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2023, 08:03:39 AM »
Pretty much summed up what I was alluding to Tim with people lying to themselves.  Agree with all of that.  Your diabetes statement in your post is bang on.  Love your mindset.

Harmony has mentioned a couple of times though about looking at others and wondering why people can eat whatever and not get fat etc.  That's
not a great mindset To have IMO (not saying you have that Harmony).  You can't do anything about anyone else.  If you let others success influence you in an envious manner then you are destined to fail.  Who is to say some people can eat what they want and not put on weight.  You are not around those people 24 hours a day.  I could eat like a pig in front of people and have people say that about me but no one sees the work I put in and how much I grind each day.

People have to stop worrying about others and focus on them and what they can do to improve.  More accountability is needed IMO and people need to look more at their own actions, not others.

I think maybe you were missing my point.  I was using people who don't work at it to stay thin to make a very specific point.  Try this - think of a large group of people with various weights/fitness levels like on a bell curve, the majority of the group are going up the curve, at the top, or coming down the curve.  On either end are the extremes - one of those being people who for genetic reasons (possibly - not sure all of the reasons why are known) are naturally lean and don't need to work at staying thin.  So if those people are there, then on the other extreme side are the people who for genetic reasons (or possibly other unknown reasons) have higher body mass even if they put in the work with diet and exercise, those numbers do not budge.  Logically, if there is one side, there is the other too.

My point really and what started this entire thread is that we now have a medication that can be used to help a good many people with their obesity and therefore their long term health, and yet are being denied this medication because of the cost and lack of insurance coverage.  Some people bristle at this notion because 'why don't they just put in the work and stop looking for a way to cheat' (I'm paraphrasing) by taking an easier way out (if medication is 'easier').  If you go back and read what I posted, my point is really that we (collectively) make all sorts of value judgments about people based on the size of the body they walk around in and we don't always know the whole story there.  So yeah, stop worrying about others and focus on yourself.  Let these people - along with their doctors and RDs - determine the best course of action with regard to managing their weight.  It definitely is not one size fits all.

Edit to add - my bit about hating people who are naturally thin was meant as a joke.  Reading back, I can see why that could be misunderstood.  I was implying I am jealous - which I am.  I don't actually hate them.  I would love to have a metabolism like that, TBH.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 08:08:45 AM by Harmony »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2023, 09:18:34 AM »

I think maybe you were missing my point.  I was using people who don't work at it to stay thin to make a very specific point.  Try this - think of a large group of people with various weights/fitness levels like on a bell curve, the majority of the group are going up the curve, at the top, or coming down the curve.  On either end are the extremes - one of those being people who for genetic reasons (possibly - not sure all of the reasons why are known) are naturally lean and don't need to work at staying thin.  So if those people are there, then on the other extreme side are the people who for genetic reasons (or possibly other unknown reasons) have higher body mass even if they put in the work with diet and exercise, those numbers do not budge.  Logically, if there is one side, there is the other too.

My point really and what started this entire thread is that we now have a medication that can be used to help a good many people with their obesity and therefore their long term health, and yet are being denied this medication because of the cost and lack of insurance coverage.  Some people bristle at this notion because 'why don't they just put in the work and stop looking for a way to cheat' (I'm paraphrasing) by taking an easier way out (if medication is 'easier').  If you go back and read what I posted, my point is really that we (collectively) make all sorts of value judgments about people based on the size of the body they walk around in and we don't always know the whole story there.  So yeah, stop worrying about others and focus on yourself.  Let these people - along with their doctors and RDs - determine the best course of action with regard to managing their weight.  It definitely is not one size fits all.

Edit to add - my bit about hating people who are naturally thin was meant as a joke.  Reading back, I can see why that could be misunderstood.  I was implying I am jealous - which I am.  I don't actually hate them.  I would love to have a metabolism like that, TBH.

Well, with insurance and how the heath care industry works. It might as well be them saying, "Why don't they just put in the work?" I am sure the Hospitals could do with less people coming in, using up hospital beds, because of issues due to their obesity.

The issue here isn't with people, it's with the way healthcare is utilized as an industry that makes income and profits. Unfortunately, it's the reality in which our world functions. Without it making money how would the doctors get paid? Without Insurance, who would be paying the healthcare workers for their services?

Being healthy and getting treatment is not cheap. But, it is Ironic how the non-beneficial foods cost less than foods that are actually beneficial for human health. How is it that the poor can't even receive food that is beneficial for their health.

If we talk about genetics. I would say when the government mobilized some Tribes away from their homelands, and thus their environment and ecology, then providing them foods that do not have any beneficial value, the people became malnourished causing health issues, which could've then been passed down to me.
One way is by doing what all industries do...Sell a product to consumers. Remember, under capitalism, we are not humans, we are consumers of the planet.

It's why I also wonder. How did people take care of their health before the invention of the healthcare industry? This also includes taking into account the amount of physical work that our ancestors did and had no option but to do in order to survive.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2023, 04:42:22 PM »

Fair enough, yeah, I may have looked past your point slightly here.  I too am envious of others at times, don't get me wrong.  I respect them too and use them as motivation.

Look, my way of thinking might be a bit harsh but I'm really not against people needing help and medication, IF they really need it.  I guess going back to what Tim was saying, the people that need it I have no issue with but the people that don't really try and still want help and medication are just wasting the health care systems time when they are just too fucking lazy and disciplined to make some lifestyle changes.  Those people hurt it for the ones with actual problems leading them to be where they are.

Those people at the end of the spectrum you were talking about obviously may need it and I don't have a problem with that.  I guess it's a bit blurry though

Offline Harmony

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2023, 05:05:06 PM »
So how many of us here have heard of NEAT?

Is yours high or low?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2023, 05:25:22 PM »

Is yours high or low?

Never heard of it in my life.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2023, 06:39:42 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2023, 03:14:42 PM »
Mine is pretty high generally because of my job.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2023, 06:03:55 PM »

Is yours high or low?

Is it this?

https://cheatdaydesign.com/what-is-neat-and-why-is-it-important/

Yes!  That's it.

Unfortunately, mine is pretty low.  Higher in the summer months when I garden more but most days I don't even get 8K steps in, even with a 30 minute walk.  I've got to find ways to increase this.  Some of my colleagues have installed treadmills at their desks but - and I know this sounds weird - I cannot read or look at a screen while I walk because I get motion sick.  So that is not an option for me.  I'm not getting a dog either.

I do like the idea of taking a short walk a couple times a day like on my break.  Maybe I need to go to Costco more often because I always hit my step goal on Costco days!   :lol

What things do you all do to increase your NEAT?

Wolfking you are physically active in your job?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2023, 06:47:34 PM »
It seems like a fancy way of saying be active.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2023, 06:57:29 PM »

Well, it is more science-y than that.  A lot of people think that "exercise" is what you need to do to be healthy or fit.  And exercise is a good thing - no doubt about it.  But people often also believe that just moving around - walking the dog, cleaning the house, gardening, etc. counts as exercise.  But we are really talking about 2 different things that serve 2 different purposes.

When one calculates their TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) it asks about your activity level.  Most people think if they work out 4 or 5 days a week, they are very active and then the TDEE calculates your estimated daily calories.  But that is not correct.  I work out on average 5 days a week but I have a sedentary job, so my NEAT is low.  Therefore, when I calculate my TDEE, I put down that I am sedentary.  Someone who does hard manual labor 8 hours a day 5 days a week or say works in a restaurant and walks 20,000 steps a shift is very active.

Like the link posted says, NEAT is 63% of your day.  Planned exercise accounts for only 4%.  So NEAT is an important factor to consider.  Not just hitting the gym.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2023, 06:58:18 PM »

But he's got a blog, so he must know what he's talking about!

At my last desk job, they set up a program where employees could walk a specific route during their lunch breaks and earn prizes. Looking back it sounds stupid, but I did it most days it was nice out and saw lots of other employees out who I know wouldn't have done so otherwise. I always felt better after that midday walk.

My current remodeling job has me active for a good chunk of the day, or at least on my feet. The amount my body moves now during the work day compared to my office drone days is incalculable.

Some of my colleagues have installed treadmills at their desks but - and I know this sounds weird - I cannot read or look at a screen while I walk because I get motion sick. 

Having a treadmill at your desk sounds weird to me!  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2023, 07:03:54 PM »

Well, it is more science-y than that. 

Of course. Every thing we do has some science behind it.

Take the stairs!!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2023, 07:06:33 PM »

It isn't just this particular link or a "guy who has a blog".  NEAT is a thing that a lot of registered dieticians and coaches will talk with clients about.  The reason I brought it up is because it seems like not a lot of people know anything about it.  I only learned about it recently myself!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6058072/

Offline Harmony

« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2023, 07:08:37 PM »

Take the stairs!!

I have taken the stairs for over 50 years and it isn't enough for me to be at a healthy weight.  Not sure what your point is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2023, 07:13:47 PM »

It isn't just this particular link or a "guy who has a blog".  NEAT is a thing that a lot of registered dieticians and coaches will talk with clients about.  The reason I brought it up is because it seems like not a lot of people know anything about it.  I only learned about it recently myself!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6058072/

My wife preaches this stuff. I'm actually quite familiar with the concept, even if I didn't know the technical term. It's something that people should definitely consider.

Take the stairs!!

I have taken the stairs for over 50 years and it isn't enough for me to be at a healthy weight.  Not sure what your point is.

Take the stairs was not directed at you, but it's a behavior associated with increasing your NEAT. It is mentioned in the article you linked.
I was just generally saying Take The Stairs as an overaching phrase to simply say that when given a choice during your daily routine, take the one that requires more physical exertion. It does add up, also as stated in the same article.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2023, 07:19:51 PM »
Oh ok - got it.  And agreed!  Is your wife naturally very active throughout the day?  How does she know about this?

I know it seems silly but since I'm now working with a fitness coach, I'm killing myself with exercise!  Now I'm starting to wonder if my efforts are all being put into the wrong place.  If I'm targeting 4% but not the 63% maybe I'm going about it wrong?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2023, 07:29:06 PM »
Oh ok - got it.  And agreed!  Is your wife naturally very active throughout the day?  How does she know about this?

Well, it's common sense, at least that's what she'll tell you (general). 

She's wicked into nutrition and eating right.

But little things she'll do..

She never uses the closest parking space.
Never uses the drive thru at the pharmacy, always walks in.
Never uses the escalator, or even an elevator if she can help it.
She has a stepper at her computer.
She never sits down, always preferring to stand..anywhere.
Builds in multiple walks throughout her workday.
Is liable to be on the treadmill any time.
Tries to do at least 20 min cardio every day, usually to a youtube video.
Enjoys cutting the grass, and shoveling.. WTF??

Offline Harmony

« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2023, 07:35:38 PM »
Fuck, I'm exhausted just reading that list!   :laugh:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2023, 07:41:26 PM »
Oh, and she always returns her carriage to the corral! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2023, 08:49:55 PM »
Does she roll up her windows manually or does she use her POWER WINDOWS?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2023, 08:52:31 PM »
Oh, and she always returns her carriage to the corral! :lol

I heard that burns the most calories!

Take the stairs!!

For what Harmony is talking about, this is the mentality, perfect analogy to back up the concept in my mind.

Wolfking you are physically active in your job?

A lot of days, yes.  I run public aquatic centres so while there is some desk work (like right now on DTF!) I clean and open one venue every morning and and moving between centres and doing a lot of hands on maintenance with pool pumps an chlorine pumps so I'm pretty active.  At times especailly weekends I'm watching the pools so I'm on my feet all day.  With my morning run plus afteroon gym sessions, I'll get around 15000 steps according to the fitbit.  In a general 24 hour period too, I'll burn somewhere between 3000-3500 calories, maybe more somedays.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2023, 08:53:15 PM »
Does she roll up her windows manually or does she use her POWER WINDOWS?

While Power Windows are infinitely better, it's better for your NEAT if you do it manually.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2023, 06:37:00 AM »

Never uses the drive thru at the pharmacy, always walks in.
Never uses the escalator, or even an elevator if she can help it.
She has a stepper at her computer.
She never sits down, always preferring to stand..anywhere.
Builds in multiple walks throughout her workday.
Is liable to be on the treadmill any time.
Tries to do at least 20 min cardio every day, usually to a youtube video.
Enjoys cutting the grass, and shoveling.. WTF??

My wife and fight about that; I will drive circles around the lot looking for the closest space. I've even pulled into a spot, saw someone pulling out closer, and moved over there.  When she parks, I'll sometimes get out, and then turn around and say something like "Hang on, I have to get my passport, we're so far from the store!".  I mean it to be funny, but it drives my wife crazy.  I'm working on it! :) :) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2023, 06:54:28 AM »

My wife and fight about that; I will drive circles around the lot looking for the closest space. I've even pulled into a spot, saw someone pulling out closer, and moved over there.  When she parks, I'll sometimes get out, and then turn around and say something like "Hang on, I have to get my passport, we're so far from the store!".  I mean it to be funny, but it drives my wife crazy.  I'm working on it! :) :) :)

:lol

I am totally with you.

When we walk in and there's now a close spot, she'll be like..hurry up and get the car!
I take damn pride in getting a good spot.  :lol

The carriage thing is the worst though, but she loves the exercise.

Look how far she has to go here, and all of the empty spots around. Plus, she grabs other people's carts along the way.. WTF??

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2023, 12:22:54 PM »
I don't even use shopping carts anymore.  I order online and wait in a pick up spot.  :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2023, 02:24:31 PM »

I always park at the very back of the lot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2023, 03:07:57 PM »
lol, your wife grabbing other peoples carts and taking them back tips me over the edge.  :lol  Making up for your poor form I guess Tim.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2023, 03:09:07 PM »
Her life's mission is to make up for my poor form. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2023, 03:10:23 PM »
Her life's mission is to make up for my poor form. :lol

Busy lady.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2023, 03:12:18 PM »
 :lol