Author Topic: Obesity  (Read 10672 times)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: Obesity
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2023, 04:19:24 AM »
Glad this thread got bumped because it reminded me of this article I read a couple days ago.

https://mynorthwest.com/3856649/dr-gordon-cohen-weight-loss-drugs-could-put-medicare-out-of-business

Dr. Cohen told Dave Ross that drugs like Ozempic are quite costly, and what used to be a drug used by diabetics is now being used by people who simply want to lose weight.

A year’s worth of the medication is in the ballpark of $14,000. So it’s quite costly,” Dr. Cohen said. “It turns out that 42% of adults in the United States who are six years and older have obesity.”
According to recent research cited by Dr. Cohen, if the trend continues it would put a $27 billion annual burden on Medicare. If that happened, Dr. Cohen said medicare would be broke.

“There are tremendous health benefits from losing weight. We know that obesity is related to so many other things; hypertension, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, all these things, which have a lot of medical costs associated with them,” Dr. Cohen said.

“So hopefully, there would be a trade-off that you’re prescribing these medications, people are losing weight, their diabetes is improving, their blood pressure is improving. They’re having less heart disease, they’re having less metabolic syndrome. And as a result, they’re needing less medical care, which turns out to be much more expensive anyway.”

My wife takes the one injection a week Trulicity and the pharmacy is having a difficult time keeping the drug available for diabetics because doctors prescribe for obesity because in some cases the drug can help to curb your appetite. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2023, 05:41:16 AM »
Glad this thread got bumped because it reminded me of this article I read a couple days ago.

https://mynorthwest.com/3856649/dr-gordon-cohen-weight-loss-drugs-could-put-medicare-out-of-business

Dr. Cohen told Dave Ross that drugs like Ozempic are quite costly, and what used to be a drug used by diabetics is now being used by people who simply want to lose weight.

A year’s worth of the medication is in the ballpark of $14,000. So it’s quite costly,” Dr. Cohen said. “It turns out that 42% of adults in the United States who are six years and older have obesity.”
According to recent research cited by Dr. Cohen, if the trend continues it would put a $27 billion annual burden on Medicare. If that happened, Dr. Cohen said medicare would be broke.

“There are tremendous health benefits from losing weight. We know that obesity is related to so many other things; hypertension, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, all these things, which have a lot of medical costs associated with them,” Dr. Cohen said.

“So hopefully, there would be a trade-off that you’re prescribing these medications, people are losing weight, their diabetes is improving, their blood pressure is improving. They’re having less heart disease, they’re having less metabolic syndrome. And as a result, they’re needing less medical care, which turns out to be much more expensive anyway.”

My wife takes the one injection a week Trulicity and the pharmacy is having a difficult time keeping the drug available for diabetics because doctors prescribe for obesity because in some cases the drug can help to curb your appetite.

This is fucking diabolical.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2023, 06:18:58 AM »
Both examples seem to point to... at the end of the day it's always about the "likes" no matter what the narrative says.  No thanks.