Author Topic: The TAC V.6 Helping Ariich With Diaper Duty Roulette (FINAL RESULTS!)  (Read 76288 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: The TAC V.6 Helping Ariich With Diaper Duty Roulette (R1 First Impressions)
« Reply #525 on: February 08, 2023, 07:23:56 AM »
Man I'm having a hard time thinking about what I could send for rounds 3, 4 and 6. Those rounds seem specifically designed to prevent me from sending stuff you'd actually like. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #526 on: February 08, 2023, 07:53:18 AM »
Man I'm having a hard time thinking about what I could send for rounds 3, 4 and 6. Those rounds seem specifically designed to prevent me from sending stuff you'd actually like. :lol

Didn't stop you this round.  :neverusethis:

Buddy, speaking of Cave In, I did a SetlistFM search on them, and they've played in Boston regularly going on 25 years now. Then I found out that they're a local band after all. I've never heard of them before.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #527 on: February 08, 2023, 08:21:31 AM »

Buddy, speaking of Cave In, I did a SetlistFM search on them, and they've played in Boston regularly going on 25 years now. Then I found out that they're a local band after all. I've never heard of them before.

Which is ironic since you lived in a cave for most of those years!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #528 on: February 08, 2023, 08:24:07 AM »

Uh huh, sure. :biggrin:

Yeah I surprisingly hadn't heard of them either until last year when they dropped the album that song is from. Ended up being my #3 album for 2022, and the competition was pretty tough! I think they get overshadowed by Converge as the big Massachusetts metalcore band, though unlike Converge they've dropped most of their metalcore elements since their first album and have been doing more of an alt-metal sound for most of their career.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #529 on: February 08, 2023, 10:31:01 AM »
There's so much metal in this round, even my phone is concerned!  :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #530 on: February 08, 2023, 10:46:46 AM »
I mean that is stupidly loud, you must have some quiet headphones.

...or your hearing is busted. :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #531 on: February 08, 2023, 10:51:31 AM »
Nah, that's the right volume  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: February 08, 2023, 11:21:32 AM »
I'm in "that's stupidly loud" camp, I mean I'm rolling with this for my cheap Bluetooth headphones

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #534 on: February 08, 2023, 11:28:04 AM »
What?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #535 on: February 08, 2023, 11:43:57 AM »
This is higher than usual for me because of the guitar hero mix otherwise it's much lower on my buds pro

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #536 on: February 08, 2023, 11:59:03 AM »
So when will we get round 2 results?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #537 on: February 08, 2023, 12:06:59 PM »
How about round 8 results first?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #538 on: February 08, 2023, 12:20:16 PM »
Once Luke posts his. If he gets them up today, there’s a chance I could do as well.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #539 on: February 08, 2023, 12:27:29 PM »
My tentative round 8 submission for yours might actually be the one I'm most excited about TBH. 

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #540 on: February 08, 2023, 01:55:41 PM »
Once Luke posts his. If he gets them up today, there’s a chance I could do as well.

I'm sorry but I am in no way ready to post my final results! Luckily you three are running your roulettes nice and smoothly so it makes me feel less shitty about keeping you waiting.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #541 on: February 08, 2023, 02:00:08 PM »
You should write thank-you letters to 425, Puppies, and Deadeye for making yours seem faster too.  :)   Although they technically still have like a full year to totally wrap up and beat you.  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #542 on: February 08, 2023, 02:15:30 PM »

I'm sorry but I am in no way ready to post my final results! Luckily you three are running your roulettes nice and smoothly so it makes me feel less shitty about keeping you waiting.

Don’t hold my Machine Head score against me!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #543 on: February 08, 2023, 02:31:42 PM »

Only if you don't hold your final result against me  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #544 on: February 08, 2023, 03:25:58 PM »

Only if you don't hold your final result against me  :lol

That is not funny.  ;D

I'll have to hold back your scores until you post.  ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #545 on: February 08, 2023, 03:48:36 PM »
I thought I was the only one with that strategy.  :ontome:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: February 08, 2023, 04:52:03 PM »

I'm struggling with rounds 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #547 on: February 08, 2023, 04:57:27 PM »

Is that all? :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: February 08, 2023, 04:58:19 PM »

Is that all? :lol

Are there bonus rounds?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC V.6 Helping Ariich With Diaper Duty Roulette (R1 Results!)
« Reply #549 on: February 08, 2023, 05:08:43 PM »
Round 1 Results!!

Lonestar   Mary’s Blood-World’s End

Musicwise, this is exactly what I was going for here. The vocals let this down though.

This was the first track I got and when transferring it to my playlist, the beginning started unexpectedly and it sounded fantastic. Upbeat high energy, exactly what I’m looking for in this round. I can’t say I love the vocals, even though they did grow on me a bit. The vocal bridge after the solo is quite nice though. I also really love the pre chorus/chorus, whatever it is. It has a great melodic vocal line there. Don’t love the beginning of the guitar solo, but it definitely redeems itself.  Love the pace of this.

Faizoff    Volbeat-Rebel Monster

Really high energy. I was a bit iffy on the vocals at first, but they kind of grew on me as the song went on.

This song really surprised me. I feel like it was the one song that I looked forward to the most to hear. It has this really cool vibe to it. The off kilter vocal verses caught me off guard, but they have a really cool vibe and flow to them. The chorus also has a really endearing quality to it. I actually went to youtube during the round to pull up some live performances. It’s kickass live too. Musically, it reminded me a bit of Anthrax, especially Charlie’s drumming. This song was just supremely enjoyable. Surprise!

Romdrums   Obsidious-Under Black Skies

Holy shit! My face is melted.

This shoots out a rocket right at you. Blastbeat city with ridiculous drumming that is constant throughout the song. The harsh vocals are a tad out of my enjoyment range. Thankfully, they are offset by a really nice clean voice. Love the quick little change of pace before and after the guitar solo.
BTW, is the lead guitarist playing a JP Majesty, because he sounds like JP.  This song is really ferocious and keeps you on your toes. Unfortunately, this song had diminishing returns, mostly due to the harsh vocals.

Tomislav   Kingcrow-Drenched

I feel like this would’ve been better served in an Open Round as opposed The Opening Track Round

I noticed that this is an Opening song on its album, and maybe it works for the band, but I usually expect an opening song to have a bit more punch to it. While listening, I kept comparing it with the Karnivool track. This song is definitely better, my First Impression still stands. Not a bad song by any stretch, but it doesn’t stand out to me, unfortunately.

Kingshmegland   Karnivool-Simple Boy

I cannot believe this is actually an opening track. Doesn’t exactly come out and smack you in the face.

This song starts with a Derek Smalls bass solo. I also love the cracking snare too. Kind of iffy on the vocals here. Not sure if it’s the singer of the lines. Love the Levee Breaks part at 2:30. This has a latter day Rush feel to it…..which I always found as kind of mundane. I see this is actually an opening track to its album, but it doesn’t compel me to listen to the rest of the album. Perhaps would’ve been better served in an Open Round, but this song really lacks punch and energy.

Twosuitsluke   Machine Head-Cleanching The Fists Of Dissent

I’m on record as not liking this band. Musically, this is pretty intense and quite good. But I just hate this dude’s voice.

TBD

Stadler   Genesis-Eleventh Earl Of Mar

I’m sorry..is this the Wussy Keyboard Round?

Oh boy..Stadler, I admire your conviction with this entry. It’s obvious that this means a lot to you, so I’m not going to rip this too hard. But seriously, ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY??
I actually hated everything about this so I’ll spare you the details.

Vmadera   The Stone Roses-I Am The Resurrection

Let’s bust out the fucking hula hoops, make some TV Dinners, and watch Laugh In.

V, I asked why you sent this to me because I thought it was an extremely interesting choice. Pleasantly interesting, I must say. The style of the first half, which sounds like The Monkees, is not really my style, but it’s quirky enough and holds my attention. But then, halfway though, it goes on this long instrumental section, ultimately to close out the song. I have to say that I loved this part. I’m actually surprised it went on as long as it did. But I love long instrumental passages like this.

Buddyhunter   Cave In-New Reality

I had no idea what to expect, and while not perfect, I thought it was cool as shit.

In the mid 90’s, I was in a band with this guy, and I swear he had a song with is exact opening riff. This song has great energy. I think the chorus is fine, but I the vocal lines and the vocals were really just secondary and provided the bare minimum. The strength of this song lies in the controlled but frantic instrumental track. Is this drummer having fun or what? Love the classic Alice Cooper styled guitar solo around the 3:55 mark. I wish I liked the vocals more, but musically, this song was like crack.

Ariich   Borknagar-The Rhymes Of The Mountain

This is exactly what I expected which is to say, it’s mostly excellent.

As Crow would say, I call this Ariich-core. I really enjoy a lot of it as well. This song has a great and atmospheric start. The transition where the harsh vocals come in, with that very brief rest, is effective as hell. I love when the clean voice raises up a bit higher for the “Excellence in barren nobility” part. The one flaw I had with this song is that it feels a bit too long.  Doesn't necessarily feel like an opening track, but I dig it.

Dragon Attack   MC5-Kick Out The Jams

No fancy passages here. This song just punches you in the face.

So, Joe I think you picked out a great tune perfect for this round. It’s a classic, and I’ve gotta be honest…I’ve never heard it before. It’s easy to see its influence, like on Buddy’s Cave In track. This is simple but effective and it’s cool to see an old song like this basically define what this round is all about.

Wolfking   Hellfuelled- Let Me Out

Um..Ozzy Osbourne is banned!

The first time I heard this, I thought the Ozzy voice was kind of distracting, but…I like Ozzy’s voice, so the more I listened, the more I enjoyed it. This is a short punchy song, perfect for this round. Nice ripping solo on this.

Lithojazzosphere  Non Human Level-Divine Creation Of Void

These guitars are razor sharp. Great instrumentation.

I knew with just the intro that I was going to like this. Nice tone on the guitars and excellent riffing. The harsh vocals are acceptable. There seems just enough taken off the top of them. The chorus is nice. The bass solo section at 2:50 is awesome. Nice way to break things up and the rest of the instrumental break absolutely kills.

ReaperKK   Incubus-Redefine

Oof…not sure about this.

Normally, I shut off any song with electric scratch sounds immediately. Because I have to listen to this in order to score it, I couldn’t. It does go into funky RHCP territory, though I prefer their heavier side. That breakdown at 2:08 is RIDICULOUS. Wow, that was awesome. Unfortunately, it’s the only part of the song I really like.

Jingle Boy   Motorjesus-Drive Through Fire

Wow, I’m pleasantly surprised. This is pretty good.

This is an excellent tune, but what really stands out here are this dude’s pipes. I love his voice. The chorus is a real earworm. The bridge where it slows down just a bit takes me back to the 80’s, along with the solo. Not much to break down here. Solid entry.

Puppies  Forgotten Silence-Rosa:The Beauty

What’s with the bird sanctuary?

That’s an evil opening riff. It’s like 4 different songs in just the first two minutes before our fist visit to the bird sanctuary sans birds. The song is pretty cool until the birds actually do show up at the 5:30 mark. I have no idea WTF this is all about. I do like the part after it though. But then it’s back in the bird sanctuary. I don’t know. Honestly, I find it a tad distracting and the song is up and then it’s down, doing it three times. I feel like my first listen to it was the best listen. I am interested in the rest of the album though.

Crow   Thurisaz- In Balance

That was a big meal. I’m not sure how filling it was though.

This song has a really grand opening. The keyboards in this are really evident, almost symphonic. The song is mostly enjoyable, if unmemorable. The ending and solo are fantastic though. Great opening, great ending, but kind of long. However I played this in the car a few times and found it quite enjoyable. This is a song that you have to let wash over you, rather than sit and try to overanalyze.

Elite   Adagio-Dominate

This kept going back and forth between safe and interesting.

This is really good energetic song, perfect for this round. For the most part, it’s pretty straightforward, but there’s some really nice surprises, like the harsh vocals, and the keyboard (piano?) flourishes in the chorus. This dude has an awesome voice. The bridge is really interesting leading into the solo. I actually have Adagio’s 2017 album Life in my Spotify library. Don’t remember anything about it. Might have to check it out.

Round 1 Standings!

Twosuitsluke...TBD
Lithojazzosphere...9.0
Faizoff...8.9
Wolfking...8.5
Ariich...8.4
Jingle Boy...8.3
Lonestar....8.2
VMadera...8.0
DragonAttack...8.0
Elite...8.0
Crow...8.0
BuddyHunter...7.9
Romdrums...7.8
Tomislav...7.5
Puppies...7.5
Kingshmegland...6.8
Reaper...6.8
Stadler...6.5

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #550 on: February 08, 2023, 05:10:38 PM »
Round 2 is ON! Get 'em in!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #551 on: February 08, 2023, 05:11:22 PM »
Ok...so is it because they're in Japanese, or is it this specific female vocalist? Genuinely curious.

Also, sending now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #552 on: February 08, 2023, 05:12:46 PM »
Ok...so is it because they're in Japanese, or is it this specific female vocalist? Genuinely curious.

Also, sending now.

No the Japanese didn't bother me. There was a slight...I don't know...grainyness to her voice that I was put off on at first. She grew on me and the vocal line for the pre chorus/chorus...whatever was really good.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #553 on: February 08, 2023, 05:13:12 PM »
Disappointed. You are ready have my picks through round 4.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #554 on: February 08, 2023, 05:15:11 PM »

Also, sending now.

No the Japanese didn't bother me. There was a slight...I don't know...grainyness to her voice that I was put off on at first. She grew on me and the vocal line for the pre chorus/chorus...whatever was really good.

Ok, cool, that'll play a lot into two other bands I got lined up for ya.

And sent.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #555 on: February 08, 2023, 05:16:17 PM »
I love that for coming across as more of a big picture than details guy, your grading system is even more granular than mine.   :o

Twosuitsluke...TBD
:rollin

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #556 on: February 08, 2023, 05:17:53 PM »
Jingle Boy   Motorjesus-Drive Through Fire

Wow, I’m pleasantly surprised. This is pretty good.

This is an excellent tune, but what really stands out here are this dude’s pipes. I love his voice. The chorus is a real earworm. The bridge where it slows down just a bit takes me back to the 80’s, along with the solo. Not much to break down here. Solid entry.

Booyah!!!  I'll take it.

I know exactly what I'm sendings for this round.  Will PM later.  Got some other stuff to work on first tonight.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #557 on: February 08, 2023, 05:27:52 PM »
Lithojazzosphere  Non Human Level-Divine Creation Of Void

These guitars are razor sharp. Great instrumentation.

I knew with just the intro that I was going to like this. Nice tone on the guitars and excellent riffing. The harsh vocals are acceptable. There seems just enough taken off the top of them. The chorus is nice. The bass solo section at 2:50 is awesome. Nice way to break things up and the rest of the instrumental break absolutely kills.

So I'm sort of surprised how obscure these guys are given some of their pedigrees and actually being stealthily DT-adjacent.  But I guess there are so many one-off Swedish project bands that they just got totally lost in the sauce.  The vocalist is Peter Wildoer, who's done drums and harsh vocals for LaBrie's solo projects (and of course finished 3rd in the Portnoy replacement soap opera), the drummer has performed a fair amount with Devin Townsend, the guitarist is from Darkane, and the bass player was in Pain of Salvation and Meshuggah.  The Swedes really know how to do supergroups right.  Some of the other songs are significantly more downtuned, I picked one that mostly stays closer to standard tuning range, so your mileage may vary, but the whole album is fantastic. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #558 on: February 08, 2023, 05:33:46 PM »
You had mentioned the guys went on to other projects and I was going to ask you for specifics after Results.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #559 on: February 08, 2023, 05:50:44 PM »
Dang it, I was hoping I was going to score at least 8.5 due to your first impression!  Ah well.  Round Two sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.