Poll

If Given a Choice Between The Two, Which One Would You Pick?

Start Your Life Again At The Age of 6 - With the Knowledge/Experience You Have Now
4 (17.4%)
(after taxes) You Have $20 Million Deposited Into Your Bank Account
19 (82.6%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Knowledge vs Money - What Would You Do?  (Read 2702 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Knowledge vs Money - What Would You Do?
« on: January 31, 2023, 02:45:34 PM »
Saw one of these types of questions on FB and thought it'd be a neat conversation piece. Which one you picking?

I'm going with the $20 Million. While it'd be neat to start my life over again at 6 with everything I know now....I'm sure that'd alter any chance of meeting my wife and subsequently having my sons....which I cannot fathom not having them in my life. I think it'd be torture honestly.....knowing and remembering them but knowing I'll never see them again.

Give me the cash and let's just close my time left on earth out in style!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Knowledge vs Money - What Would You Do?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 02:49:52 PM »
I think it'd be torture honestly.....knowing and remembering them but knowing I'll never see them again.

Well, that's the kicker, isn't it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 02:50:15 PM »
Cash.

Happy where I’m at in life and wouldn’t want to do anything differently. But 20 mil can get me a 1 bedroom apartment in New York.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 02:54:33 PM »
I think it'd be torture honestly.....knowing and remembering them but knowing I'll never see them again.

Well, that's the kicker, isn't it.

Yep. I guess if you're a person who hates their wife and/or kids it's a good deal?? Like Adami stated.....I'm more than happy with how things have went and turned out....lumps and all.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 03:15:36 PM »
Do we start over at 6 now, or do we go back in time to when we were six and restart there?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 03:25:33 PM »
I'm taking the cash... If I went back there's no way in hell I hook up with my ex and have my kid. Now if I could go back to the day she was born, that's a whole different story

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 03:27:40 PM »
Why can't I have both?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 03:35:18 PM »
Does the Knowledge part include memories?

It would be very interesting starting at 6 with the knowledge I understand and the experiences I have gone through. I would definitely do things differently. But also, what you once knew as your life now becomes your "Past Life", as you are now in your "Present Life" which is a 6 year old kid who has recounts of memories not relating to what you are experiencing now.

I asked about memories because holding those memories of your "Past Life" sounds similar to how children in our current reality do recount memories of a "Past Life" and some even can recount the exact places and people of their past experiences.

But then, does the knowledge part include everything you understand about reality, including the things 6 year old kids don't really understand yet, such as how human reproduction works?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Adami

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 03:36:58 PM »
Anyone going back to being 6 is gonna have a weird feeling in September 2001.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lethean

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 03:41:53 PM »
I'll take the cash.  Trying to change history never works out that well.  There are certain things I'd like to change, but then what would happen?  If I hadn't had X thing happen, who's to say something even worse wouldn't have happened?  Maybe I'd have been somewhere else and been hit by a car or something.  Of course that's looking at things with a glass half empty, but really you just never know how things would end up. 

But the rest of my life is a clean slate.  I wouldn't complain about $20 million. :)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 03:57:22 PM »
Cash, no brainer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 04:58:30 PM »
I'll definitely just take the money.

Age 6 is something I have no desire to revisit.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 05:32:36 PM »
I generally agree with what everyone has said thus far.  HOWEVER, my father died when I was 7.  If I go back to when I was 6 AND have the knowledge I have now, maybe I could do something to keep him around longer.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 06:38:48 PM »
I will take being 6 again and knowing then what I know now. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 06:40:50 PM »
I generally agree with what everyone has said thus far.  HOWEVER, my father died when I was 7.  If I go back to when I was 6 AND have the knowledge I have now, maybe I could do something to keep him around longer.

:'(   Aw man……sorry to hear this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2023, 06:43:54 PM »

So that'd be what, going 6 years back in time?  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2023, 06:45:47 PM »

So that'd be what, going 6 years back in time?  ;D

We all can't be as old as you, Grandpa.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2023, 07:39:51 PM »
So if it was like 1 paltry million, I'd take the knowledge.

No way I'm passing up 20 million though. 

Wait - can I get the 20 mil at any age or does it have to be now - in my old age?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 07:06:41 AM »
Wait - can I get the 20 mil at any age or does it have to be now - in my old age?

You get it right now, however old you are.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 07:07:34 AM »
Cash.  No way I'm going through school again and running the risk of not meeting my wife and having my kids.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2023, 07:19:09 AM »
Cash.  No way I'm going through school again and running the risk of not meeting my wife and having my kids.

For me the school part would be fine....it'd be neat to do it again and actually 'try'. I was one of those students who just did enough to get through and never applied myself. It's the family thing that seals the deal for me. No way I'm risking never knowing my wife or kids.....especially since you'd retain the memories of them due to the 'all knowledge and experience' part of the choice.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2023, 07:35:44 AM »
Interesting thought experiment.

When I was 20 (and I thought I knew waaaayyy more than I actually did), I probably would've chosen option 1.

At this stage in my life, my only goal in life is to spend as much quality time with my family as possible, so I'd take option 2 without thinking a second thought. In fact, if you could guarantee me that I'd live long enough to see my wife and kids happy thirty years from now, I'd give you everything I have.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2023, 07:38:59 AM »
My fiance and I had this discussion last night! She saw it online somewhere too.   

We both decided that we'd go back in time with the knowledge and use it to get filthy rich. We'd both patiently wait until 9/14/2013 before ever making any kind of contact. We were both reasonably convinced we'd still hit it off just as we did the first time, and the crazy calls in the stock market as well as intimate knowledge of the other would suffice as evidence that one of us simply went back in time. 

We've got no children yet, so we don't have to worry about a certain genetic combo never coming to fruition.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2023, 07:39:18 AM »
As Steve Miller famously sang, "take the money and run."  No way would I risk not meeting my wife or having our son.  $20 mil to live the rest of my life would be just fine!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2023, 07:42:49 AM »
My fiance and I had this discussion last night! She saw it online somewhere too.   

We both decided that we'd go back in time with the knowledge and use it to get filthy rich. We'd both patiently wait until 9/14/2013 before ever making any kind of contact. We were both reasonably convinced we'd still hit it off just as we did the first time, and the crazy calls in the stock market as well as intimate knowledge of the other would suffice as evidence that one of us simply went back in time.

I think that's an interesting way to go about it.....and, probably for most married guys like me with kids.....is too big a risk to have something go wrong to where your kids would never exist. That'd be just utter torture having the memory of them knowing you'd never get to see them again, no more hugs or conversations....that'd be devastating.

But I think your scenario could work

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2023, 07:53:48 AM »

We've got no children yet, so we don't have to worry about a certain genetic combo never coming to fruition.

Even with the genetic combo, I feel like this is the right answer.   I don't know.  I do know I'm spending way too much time thinking about it.  :) :) :)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2023, 08:37:05 AM »
I'm taking the cash. My childhood was really shitty and having my current knowledge in a 6 year old body would do little to change it. I'm taking the cash and retiring.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2023, 08:39:08 AM »
I lean towards going back to age 6. First of all, I could be a multi-billionaire by age 40 with the knowledge I have now. There are a lot of things I wish I had done differently, so I tend to want the opportunity to do that.

Now, if I were really faced with this choice, I'd take the money. I could go back in time and "fix" a couple of things that didn't go my way due to things within my control. But I fully acknowledge that there would be other things that pop up as a result of those changed decisions that theoretical future me would wish I had done differently. Plus it would be impossible to end up with the same kids even if I did manage to end up with the same wife. I think there's far more that could go wrong with a repeated life than could go better.

Offline Adami

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2023, 08:44:36 AM »

Even with the genetic combo, I feel like this is the right answer.   I don't know.  I do know I'm spending way too much time thinking about it.  :) :) :)

I dunno brother. Can you imagine you, Stadler, the Gladler Dadler, having to relive what you've lived through with your knowledge? Prohibition? WWII? The Hippie era? the rise of social media? All while knowing that social media is solely responsible for the decay of civil society but not being able to do anything about it? You'll drive yourself completely insane!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2023, 08:51:25 AM »

I dunno brother. Can you imagine you, Stadler, the Gladler Dadler, having to relive what you've lived through with your knowledge? Prohibition? WWII? The Hippie era? the rise of social media? All while knowing that social media is solely responsible for the decay of civil society but not being able to do anything about it? You'll drive yourself completely insane!

Oh, no, my brother.   I would be President, and social media would be outlawed!  I'd be Elon Musk before there was ever an Elon Musk! 

Offline Adami

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2023, 08:53:44 AM »
You're the Rob Corddry character from Hot Tub Time Machine?

I can dig it!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline romdrums

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2023, 09:14:23 AM »

I can dig it!

:rollin
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2023, 09:55:08 AM »
Money. I wouldn't be so cruel as to inflict current me on 6 year old me, nor would I wish to radically alter my friends lives, which would be inevitable.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2023, 10:19:35 AM »

I can dig it!

Here's a question. Was it morally wrong for me to exploit my knowledge of the future for personal financial gain? Perhaps. Here's another question. Do I give a f***?

Offline Adami

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2023, 10:21:35 AM »

I can dig it!

Here's a question. Was it morally wrong for me to exploit my knowledge of the future for personal financial gain? Perhaps. Here's another question. Do I give a f***?

Can I be the Craig Robinson or John Cusack character and you've used these decisions to make my life way better?

Wait a minute......what if I'm the Clark Duke character?!?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com