Author Topic: Official Metallica top 50 Countdown Thread!! (Top 2 featured!!!!!)  (Read 32038 times)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Official Metallica top 50 Countdown Thread!! (Top 2 featured!!!!!)
« Reply #945 on: March 10, 2023, 09:15:55 AM »
One is my first exposure to Metallica and still my fave song from theirs (on a side note, I still think it's amazing and truly creative Lars drumming on the more melodic parts on the first half of the song) and Master is what I see as the best Metallica's song, so I'm good with the order of the Top 2.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #946 on: March 10, 2023, 09:51:45 AM »
Thanks for all the thanks (already said or still coming, so I don't have to say it again :lol).

Thanks Kev!!!! Fantastic job, as always.  These are exceedingly fun for me, even when I'm not 100% invested in the band.  I deeply regret not participating in the Dream Theater one, now, in hindsight.  Wanna run it again?  :) :) :) :)

I have already been considering it. We did the top 100 at the end of 2021, but A View... was not used, and I think doing it again would be fun with that included, and I think a lot more people would participate now than did then, so it could be interesting to see how different it turns out.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #947 on: March 10, 2023, 09:53:14 AM »
02 One

01 Master of Puppets

No surprise to see these two songs at the top.  Possibly the most predictable thing from any of these countdowns.  I had One at #15.  The heavy section is amazing, but the verses drag a bit.  Great song, but there are lots of songs in the catalog I like better.  My biggest memory of this song is the performance at the Grammy's.  Alice Cooper and Lita Ford walking to the podium to hand out the first Grammy for hard rock/metal and Alice coughing because of all the residual smoke from the pyro.  And then cut to Metallica looking incredulous when Jethro Tull won.  The guitar player in my band at the time and I rented Johnny Got His Gun.  Holy crap...what a depressing movie.

Master is just amazing.  My band played this, and somewhere I've got a pretty decent cassette recording.  However, not having two guitars obviously loses a LOT.  This was on heavy repeat at the Cerritos Mall Baskin Robbins between the time it was released and when the store closed in 1988.  The funny thing is how anally some folks have attempted to analyze the odd-time measure in the main riff.  It was my #3 song overall.

Thanks to Kev, as always for running this!

39-11 (I think this is better than I initially expected and certainly better than I felt after the first 10 songs were revealed)

1. Creeping Death
2. Blackened
3. Master of Puppets
4. Call of Ktulu
5. Dyers Eve
6. Battery
7. Damage, Inc.
8. The Shortest Straw
9. Fade to Black
10. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
11. For Whom the Bell Tolls
12. The Frayed Ends of Sanity
13. The Four Horsemen
14. Orion
15. One
16. Spit out the Bone
17. Harvester of Sorrows
18. Whiplash
19. Seek and Destroy
20. Wherever I May Roam
21. The Unforgiven
22. Motorbreath
23. No Remorse
24. Through the Never
25. And Justice for All
26. Fuel
27. Disposable Heroes
28. Escape
29. Trapped Under Ice
30. To Live Is to Die
31. Fight Fire with Fire
32. The Memory Remains
33. The Struggle Within
34. Nothing Else Matters
35. Eye of the Beholder
36. Of Wolf and Man
37. Leper Messiah
38. Jump in the Fire
39. Don't Tread on Me
40. My Friend of Misery
41. (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth
42. Ride the Lightning
43. The Thing That Should Not Be
44. Holier Than Thou
45. The God That Failed
46. Hit the Lights
47. Phantom Lord
48. Metal Militia
49. Sad But True
50. Enter Sandman

Not ranked:  Where the Wild Things Are, The Day That Never Comes, Halo on Fire, King Nothing, The Unforgiven II, Hero of the Day, All Nightmare Long, Fixxxer, Until It Sleeps, Bleeding Me, The Outlaw Torn
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #948 on: March 10, 2023, 09:54:11 AM »
Thanks Kev!!!! Fantastic job, as always.  These are exceedingly fun for me, even when I'm not 100% invested in the band.  I deeply regret not participating in the Dream Theater one, now, in hindsight.  Wanna run it again?  :) :) :) :)

I have already been considering it. We did the top 100 at the end of 2021, but A View... was not used, and I think doing it again would be fun with that included, and I think a lot more people would participate now than did then, so it could be interesting to see how different it turns out.

I don't think I was aware it was happening, so I completely missed it and would be absolutely down for a repeat.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #949 on: March 10, 2023, 10:03:29 AM »
FINAL ALBUM RANKINGS

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that TBA didn't crack the top 3 and a teensy bit disappointed that KEA didn't finish at least one spot higher.  Average points per track would flip RTL and AJFA and Hardwired and Reload.  Master and Justice were obviously the only two to have all of their songs in the top 50.

1. Master of Puppets (8 songs, 305 points, 38.13 PPT) - The Thing That Should Not Be (28), Leper Messiah (25), Disposable Heroes (13), Damage, Inc. (12), Orion (10), Welcome Home (Sanitarium) (8), Battery (6), Master of Puppets (1)

2. And Justice for All (9 songs, 260 points, 28.89 PPT) - Eye of the Beholder (49), The Frayed Ends of Sanity (38), To Live Is to Die (32), The Shortest Straw (29), Harvester of Sorrows (21), Dyers Eve (18), And Justice for All (7), Blackened (3), One (2)

3. Ride the Lightning (7 songs, 237 points, 33.86 PPT) - Trapped Under Ice (47), Fight Fire with Fire (24), The Call of Ktulu (20), Ride the Lightning (11), For Whom the Bell Tolls (9), Creeping Death (5), Fade to Black (4)

4. Metallica (9 songs, 209 points, 23.22 PPT) - The God That Failed (41), My Friend of Misery (37), Of Wolf and Man (36), Through the Never (35), Sad but True (26), Nothing Else Matters (23), Enter Sandman (22), The Unforgiven (16), Wherever I May Roam (14)

5. Load (5 songs, 106 points, 21.20 PPT) - King Nothing (43), Hero of the Day (40), Until It Sleeps (30), Bleeding Me (19), The Outlaw Torn (17)

6. Kill 'Em All (4 songs, 79 points, 19.75 PPT) - No Remorse (45), Whiplash (34), Seek and Destroy (31), The Four Horsemen (15)

7. Reload (4 songs, 35 points, 8.75 PPT) - Where the Wild Things Are (50), Fuel (44), The Unforgiven II (42), Fixxxer (33)

8. Hardwired...to Self-Destruct (2 songs, 27 points, 13.50 PPT) - Halo on Fire (48), Spit out the Bone (27)

9. Death Magnetic (2 songs, 17 points, 8.50 PPT) - The Day That Never Comes (46), All Nightmare Long (39),

10. St. Anger (0 songs, 0 points)

Offline Ced156

« Reply #950 on: March 10, 2023, 10:06:17 AM »
As a newcomer to the forum, I haven't participated in any countdown yet, but I would love to join a new countdown on DT.

This countdown and the previous on DT, Maiden, Rush, QR... were very insteresting to follow, thanks a lot KevShmev for running them :).

Offline kipkjustm

« Reply #951 on: March 10, 2023, 10:22:06 AM »
50. All Nightmare Long
49. The Call of Ktulu
48. Where the Wild Things Are
47. Escape
46. St. Anger
45. That Was Just Your Life
44. King Nothing
43. The Memory Remains
42. Trapped Under Ice
41. Until It Sleeps
40. Broken, Beat & Scarred
39. No Leaf Clover
38. Whiplash
37. To Live Is to Die
36. The Four Horseman
35. Hardwired
34. Bleeding Me
33. Hero of the Day
32. The Shortest Straw
31. Of Wolf and Man
30. Damage, Inc.
29. Wherever I May Roam
28. The Outlaw Torn
27. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
26. Fuel
25. Disposable Heroes
24. Sad But True
23. Orion
22. Dream No More
21. Spit Out the Bone
20. ...And Justice For All
19. Ride the Lightning
18. Leper Messiah
17. Battery
16. Moth Into Flame
15. Enter Sandman
14. The Thing That Should Not Be
13. Low Man's Lyric
12. Dyers Eve
11. Harvester of Sorrow
10. Fight Fire With Fire
9. Seek & Destroy
8. Halo on Fire
7. Blackened
6. Master of Puppets
5. For Whom the Bell Tolls
4. Fade to Black
3. The Unforgiven
2. Creeping Death
1. One

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: March 10, 2023, 11:04:32 AM »
I'm still curious about the one board member that didn't include One in their top fifty. No hard feelings, just curiousness.  ;D

I already fessed up on page 26  :sad:

02 One NR   I goofed up thinking I had a double entry on my spreadsheet, otherwise it would have been #42.  I did not like the video.  At least my oversight did not affect the final standings <phew>

01 Master of Puppets #6

31 of 50 made the list.  I was hoping for anywhere from 22 to 28, so I'm fairly pleased as a casual (and old) follower.

Not making the list:  Cyanide, Murder One, The Unnamed Feeling, Dream No More, Low Man's Lyric, The Struggle Within, Don't Tread on Me, Devil's Dance   
The Unforgiven III, Holier Than Thou, Poor Twisted Me, The House Jack Built, Atlas Rise, St. Anger, Some Kind Of Monster, Better Than You, The End Of The Line,   
That Was Just Your Life, My Apocolypse   ten of these made the top 75

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: March 10, 2023, 11:10:09 AM »
Thanks for all the thanks (already said or still coming, so I don't have to say it again :lol).

I've been wishing I'd taken part in the DT one, too, so yes, I'd be all over it!

And, of course, thanks to Kev for running this Metallica one and to everyone who took part and posted comments, too.

I had Puppets at number one although Creeping Death might, just might, be my favourite Metallica song. I just thought for this poll that Puppets brought a tiny bit more to the table because it really is the epitomy of Metallica.

Great to see Low Man's Lyric only just missed the top 50.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #954 on: March 10, 2023, 12:09:40 PM »

I'm all in, and I've not looked at the previous list (and WON'T) to make sure mine is a fresh perspective.  I don't need to look at the list to know I can guarantee you I will have at least two songs in my top 10 that are head scratchers to most of the group.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #955 on: March 10, 2023, 12:16:33 PM »
I'm still curious about the one board member that didn't include One in their top fifty. No hard feelings, just curiousness.  ;D

I already fessed up on page 26  :sad:

It was very brave of you to fess up. :tup

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #956 on: March 10, 2023, 01:18:57 PM »
Full list and point totals:

49 Eye of the Beholder   349
50 Where the Wild Things Are   312
51 No Leaf Clover   310

I was wondering whether or not my votes would've made a significant difference if I had actually got my list in. It would've bumped No Leaf Clover barely in at 50 (Eye would've also got a few points).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 01:24:56 PM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #957 on: March 10, 2023, 01:22:20 PM »
  I don't need to look at the list to know I can guarantee you I will have at least two songs in my top 10 that are head scratchers to most of the group.

ONLY two??   :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #958 on: March 10, 2023, 01:44:12 PM »
Pretty interesting Top 50! Thanks for running this, Kev! I always enjoy reading through these even if I'm not participating.

I'm not sure what my #1 Metallica song is, but it'd either be something from AJFA, or Disposable Heroes. Master of Puppets wouldn't have been my #1, but it's probably in my Top 10, and I think it's definitely worthy of taking the #1 spot on this countdown.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #959 on: March 10, 2023, 02:10:39 PM »
Shocked the Loads finished ahead of DM and HWTSD.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #960 on: March 10, 2023, 02:19:36 PM »

I'd definitely be down for a Dream Theater one as well. These are fun because it makes me revisit the material and figure out how they stand now as opposed to when it first came out or how they've aged.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #961 on: March 10, 2023, 03:35:40 PM »
I had One at #5 and Master of Puppets at #3. MOP could easily have been my #1 though. I used to drop the needle on that middle section and listen to it over and over. Classic.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #962 on: March 10, 2023, 03:47:03 PM »

02 One
Appeared on 33 of 34 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (wolfking, devieira73, kipkjustm, Mladen)
25 Top 10 Finishes

01 Master of Puppets
Highest Finish: 1 (jammindude, Dave_Manchester, faizoff, The Realm, nobloodyname, Duetsch Dream Dates, TheCountOfNYC, dtwwbwMP, KevShmev)
29 Top 10 Finishes

Going into this countdown, I knew what my top 2 songs would be and turns out they are the same as the overall list.

One - my number 2. This is a huge song and was an even bigger song for me as a teenager. I know that The Black Album and especially Enter Sandman and its video really took Metallica to the next level but to me the video for One was a magical experience. I must have watched that video hundreds of times. Just an all time great metal song.

Master of Puppets - my number 1. The song that really has everything and demonstrates all that is great about Metallica in 8+ minutes.

Thanks Kev, this was really fun and was great to see lots of participation in this one.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #963 on: March 10, 2023, 03:48:28 PM »

I had Master of Puppets at #4 and One at #12.
These two were huge for me back in the day, and although I've found Master of Puppets has had more staying power over the years, One is still a great song, even if I've probably overplayed it somewhat.

Both are just great, great songs that deserve to top this thing.

Here's my final list. Pretty happy with it overall.

1. Creeping Death
2. The Call of Ktulu
3. To Live Is to Die
4. Master of Puppets
5. ...And Justice for All
6. Blackened
7. The Unforgiven
8. Wherever I May Roam
9. Sad But True
10. Orion
11. Battery
12. One
13. For Whom the Bell Tolls
14. Fade to Black
15. The Four Horseman
16. Ride the Lightning
17. Nothing Else Matters
18. The Thing That Should Not Be
19. Enter Sandman
20. Trapped Under Ice
21. Whiplash
22. Fight Fire with Fire
23. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
24. No Leaf Clover
25. Disposable Heroes
26. Of Wolf and Man
27. The Unforgiven III
28. The Struggle Within
29. Harvester of Sorrow
30. Hit the Lights
31. Holier Than Thou
32. Damage Inc.
33. Shortest Straw
34. My Friend of Misery
35. The God That Failed
36. My Apocalypse
37. Don't Tread On Me
38. Through the Never
39. Motorbreath
40. The Day That Never Comes
41. Dyers Eve
42. All Nightmare Long
43. The Unforgiven II
44. The Frayed Ends of Sanity
45. Fuel
46. King Nothing
47. St. Anger
48. No Remorse
49. Eye of the Beholder
50. Escape

Not Ranked

Where the Wild Things Are
Halo on Fire 
Hero of the Day
Fixxxer
Seek & Destroy
Until it Sleeps
Spit Out the Bone
Leper Messiah
Bleeding Me
Outlaw Torn

Kev, as everyone has already said, thanks so much for hosting this. I too missed out on the original Dream Theater one, and would be down to participate if you ran it again. I'm also currently tempted to binge all the Queen albums I'm unfamiliar with, so I can join that one, they're really addictive!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #964 on: March 10, 2023, 03:50:20 PM »
Full list and point totals:

49 Eye of the Beholder   349
50 Where the Wild Things Are   312
51 No Leaf Clover   310

I was wondering whether or not my votes would've made a significant difference if I had actually got my list in. It would've bumped No Leaf Clover barely in at 50 (Eye would've also got a few points).

So it's YOUR fault Clover didn't make the cut! Dammit Luoto!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #965 on: March 10, 2023, 04:33:14 PM »
+1 for running DT again please and thankyou! :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Metallica top 50 Countdown Thread!! (#s 04 & 03 featured!)
« Reply #966 on: March 10, 2023, 05:42:57 PM »
I doubt anyone will be surprised by the top 2, even those who ranked the songs lower or left them off their lists completely :eek :eek, so here we go.

Thanks again to everyone who submitted a list and/or participated in this thread.

02 One
Highest Finish: 1 (wolfking, devieira73, kipkjustm, Mladen)
25 Top 10 Finishes

01 Master of Puppets
Highest Finish: 1 (jammindude, Dave_Manchester, faizoff, The Realm, nobloodyname, Duetsch Dream Dates, TheCountOfNYC, dtwwbwMP, KevShmev)
29 Top 10 Finishes

I had One at #4.

Somehow, I forgot all bout One. I knew Master was in the Top 2, but I was drawing a blank.  One is such a great song. So fucking intense.

I had Master Of Puppets at #3.

I think if you have just one song to sum up Metallica for a newb, this would be it. The beginning of Master is my text tone.

Top 50!                                                                  Not Rated
50. The End Of The Line                               Eye Of The Beholder
49.  Escape                                                 Where The Wild Things Are
48.   Jump In The Fire                                  Trapped Under Ice
47.   Of Wolf And Man                                    King Nothing
46.   My Apocalypse                                       Unforgiven II
45.   Fight Fire With Fire                                 Hero Of The Day
44.  Don't Tread On Me                                    To Live Is To Die
43.  The Struggle Within                                Fixxer
42.  And Justice For All                                   Until It Sleeps
41.  My Friend Of Misery                                 The Thing That Should Not Be
40.  Motorbreath                                           Spit Out The Bone
39.  That Was Just Your Life                            Sad But True
38.  Wasting My Hate                                     Nothing Else Matters
37. The Shortest Straw                                   Harvester Of Sorrow
36. Leper Messiah                                          Call Of Ktulu
35. For Whom The Bell Tolls                             The Unforgiven
34. Enter Sandman                                         Orion
33. Wherever I May Roam
32. Seek And Destroy
31. The God That Failed
30. Ride The Lightning
29.  Moth Into Flame
28.  Holier Than Thou
27.  Broken Beat & Scarred
26.  Bleeding Me
25. The Day That Never Comes
24.  Phantom Lord
23.  Metal Milita
22. No Remorse
21.  Atlas Rise
20. Disposably Heroes
19. Halo On Fire
18. Damage Inc
17. All Nightmare Long
16. Fuel
15. Through The Never
14.  Ain't My Bitch
13. Creeping Death
12. The Outlaw Torn
11. Fade To Black
10. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
9. Battery
8. Frayed Ends Of Sanity
7. The Four Horsemen
6. Whiplash
5.  Dyers Eve
4.  One
3.  Master Of Puppets
2.  Hit The Lights
1.  Blackened

33-17
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #967 on: March 10, 2023, 05:43:20 PM »
Thank you Kev! Awesome job as always.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #968 on: March 11, 2023, 03:41:02 AM »
One is a song that I had grown tired of for a while, but when I finally came back around to it, it very quickly shot back up my rankings. It’s just a brilliant song and its greatness can’t be denied.

Master of Puppets is the first song I remember hearing as a kid, and it became the starting point for my musical journey that led to me being a metalhead and musician. Take away that personal connection though, it’s still Metallica’s best song. Everything that makes Metallica great comes together into a single musical statement, eight and a half minutes of thrash metal perfection.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #969 on: March 11, 2023, 04:33:32 AM »
What's everyone's top 3 that didn't make the list, that they really wish had?

I'll start...

Mine were No Leaf Clover, The Unforgiven III and Hit the Lights.

The S&M No Leaf Clover performance is so good, and I've always loved the song. I've never heard them play it live but as there's no studio version, I think I'd find any performance without an orchestra would be lacking.

The Unforgiven III, I thought was generally more loved than the second one, but I was proven wrong here. It's definitely a highlight on Death Magnetic and I think it rounds off the Unforgiven trilogy nicely.

Hit the Lights, well it all starts here doesn't it. I love it as an I tro track. OK, they wrote better album openers, but this is a great statement of intent.

If you'd asked me if these three would make the top 50 before we started I'd have said yes to all three.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #970 on: March 11, 2023, 06:37:26 AM »
The songs I ranked that didn't make it were:

26 Don't Tread On Me
29 The Judas Kiss (I was surprised how poorly this did overall)
30 The Struggle Within
34 Devil's Dance
36 Mama Said
40 Low Man's Lyric
43 Thorn Within
45 My Apocalypse
50 The House That Jack Built

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #971 on: March 11, 2023, 06:55:38 AM »
One: #6. Love both 'halves' of this, the soft and the heavy, evenly. The machine-gun fire brutality of the final few minutes' riffage is just awesome, especially live. 

Master of Puppets: #1. The quintessential Metallica song and, to my mind, the best metal track ever written. No matter how many times I hear it I'm astonished all over again by how creative and heavy and beautiful it all is.

My full list (bolded and underlined didn't make the aggregate list):

50. Poor Twisted Me
49. Ronnie
48. Where The Wild Things Are
47. The Four Horsemen
46. Trapped Under Ice
45. Devil’s Dance
44. Fight Fire With Fire
43. Escape
42. Wasting My Hate
41. Attitude
40. Am I Savage?
39. All Nightmare Long
38. Now That We’re Dead
37. Ain’t My Bitch
36. Prince Charming
35. The Memory Remains
34. Carpe Diem Baby
33. Slither
32. Seek & Destroy
31. The Thing That Should Not Be
30. The Unforgiven III
29. Fuel
28. The Unforgiven II
27. Mama Said
26. Hero of the Day
25. King Nothing
24. The House Jack Built
23. Until It Sleeps
22. Damage Inc
21. To Live Is To Die
20. Bleeding Me
19. No Leaf Clover
18. Fixxxer
17. The Outlaw Torn
16. Battery
15. Blackened
14. Leper Messiah
13. And Justice For All
12. For Whom The Bell Tolls
11. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
10. Enter Sandman
9. Creeping Death
8. Ride the Lightning
7. Disposable Heroes
6. One
5. Nothing Else Matters
4. The Call of Ktulu
3. Orion
2. Fade to Black
1. Master of Puppets

Final tally: 35/15

Slots I nailed: 2 (Outlaw Torn at #17 and MOP at #1)

Biggest surprises in the aggregate list: no place for Carpe Diem Baby or No Leaf Clover.

Things I'd change if I re-did the list today: Dyers Eve would make my top 50 and Blackened would be much higher up, in the top ten for sure.

Number of extra votes for doing the Dream Theater top 100 again: 1 (me, because I missed the first one)

Number of extra thanks to Kev for running this: 1 (me again)

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #972 on: March 11, 2023, 06:57:35 AM »
By the way, who had the lowest ranked #1, was it Stadler with Hero of the Day?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #973 on: March 11, 2023, 06:59:57 AM »

Yes.  Even though I was really high on Hero of the Day (I ranked it 22nd), it seems only fair that the one person who left Master of Puppets off their list had the lowest ranked number 1.  :biggrin:

(I kid, Bill...mostly :P :P)

Offline Duetsch Dream Dates

• Rocky Mountain High!
« Reply #974 on: March 11, 2023, 09:09:47 AM »
What's everyone's top 3 that didn't make the list, that they really wish had?

I had Motorbreath at #22. I played in a 3-piece for awhile in high school and we covered this song, my buddy the bass player also played in a few punk bands and had his own business customizing classic cars (i.e. hot rods) and motorcycles. He was later killed in a crash (I never cared to learn the details), but this song always makes me think of him in terms of living your life doing what you love.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #975 on: March 11, 2023, 10:25:57 AM »

Yes.  Even though I was really high on Hero of the Day (I ranked it 22nd), it seems only fair that the one person who left Master of Puppets off their list had the lowest ranked number 1.  :biggrin:

I had the lowest ranked No. 1 and of the selections that were on "33 of 34" lists, I had TWO of the sole omissions.  It is what it is.  It boils down to two things:  I'm a big melody gut, and I really, really don't like James' voice on the early material as compared to the later work.  I think he's such a good singer, that the "I'm shouting through a concrete pipe" sound is just too much for me to ignore in most cases.

It's not like I don't understand where Metallica's bread is buttered.  And I certainly respect that it was a game changer for so many people.   

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #976 on: March 11, 2023, 10:53:15 AM »
The songs Stadler left off his top 50 would make a great top 50

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #977 on: March 11, 2023, 11:31:57 AM »

I had the lowest ranked No. 1 and of the selections that were on "33 of 34" lists, I had TWO of the sole omissions.  It is what it is.  It boils down to two things:  I'm a big melody gut, and I really, really don't like James' voice on the early material as compared to the later work.  I think he's such a good singer, that the "I'm shouting through a concrete pipe" sound is just too much for me to ignore in most cases.

It's not like I don't understand where Metallica's bread is buttered.  And I certainly respect that it was a game changer for so many people.   

I get all of that.  We all like what we like.  It took me till 1996 to come around to liking Metallica at all (outside of one song, Wherever I May Roam, which I liked for years), and even now, I am not sure how much I'd like them if I heard all their material for the first time now.  Hard to say.  So often, it is a matter of when and where you first hear an artist.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #978 on: March 11, 2023, 02:14:04 PM »
One actually was #1 for me for a LONG time but finished #3 this time around. I had MoP at #15, great song obviously just don’t need to hear it much anymore. I was surprised to see songs like That Was Just Your Life not make the list.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #979 on: March 11, 2023, 02:43:01 PM »
My final list below. Bold didn't make it.

50   The Unforgiven III
49   Halo on Fire
48   Hit the Lights
47   To Live Is to Die
46   The Unforgiven II
45   Don't Tread On Me
44   Metal Militia
43   No Leaf Clover

42   Sad But True
41   Phantom Lord
40   Of Wolf and Man
39   Fuel
38   The Frayed Ends of Sanity
37   The Day That Never Comes
36   Atlas, Rise!
35   No Remorse
34   Disposable Heroes
33   Harvester of Sorrow
32   Moth into Flame
31   The God That Failed
30   Motorbreath
29   Until It Sleeps
28   The Memory Remains
27   Trapped Under Ice
26   Enter Sandman
25   The Shortest Straw
24   Leper Messiah
23   Whiplash
22   Wherever I May Roam
21   The Unforgiven
20   Fight Fire with Fire
19   Nothing Else Matters
18   Fixxxer
17   Orion
16   Ride the Lightning
15   The Call of Ktulu
14   …And Justice for All
13   Dyers Eve
12   Bleeding Me
11   Damage, Inc.
10   The Four Horseman
9   Blackened
8   Creeping Death
7   Fade to Black
6   The Outlaw Torn
5   Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
4   For Whom the Bell Tolls
3   Battery
2   One
1   Master of Puppets

Unranked:
Where The Wild Things Are
Eye of the Beholder
King Nothing
Hero of the Day
All Nightmare Long
My Friend of Misery
Through The Never
Seek and Destroy
The Thing That Should Not Be
Spit Out The Bone

I said above somewhere that The Memory Remains not making it is the biggest surprise for me. I actually was thinking that was a chance for top 20 going into this countdown.

I'm not surprised that Kill Em All didn't fair that well overall. I ranked a few songs that didn't make it but they weren't that high on my list. Even though I love the album as a whole, the individual tracks aren't as strong as many others.