Author Topic: Michael Sweet - King Diamond collaboration - thoughts?  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Michael Sweet - King Diamond collaboration - thoughts?
« on: January 27, 2023, 01:44:12 PM »
I saw this today on blabberass: https://blabbermouth.net/news/michael-sweet-would-certainly-pray-about-hypothetical-king-diamond-collaboration

It got me thinking. First, I think a vocal collaboration between Michael Sweet and King Diamond would be amazing. I'm a fan of both singers. But lets be real: where there's smoke, there's fire. This has likely been way more discussed than Sweet is admitting. And when it does come to fruition, I think there will be a lot of spin (like Stryper always does) justifying a collaboration like this. And I am sure that spin will sound really good. But the cynic in me can't help it: this will be about the all mighty dollar.

Imagine a tour of Stryper/King Diamond. Heaven and hell. Good and evil. A marketing person's dream. Promoters would eat it up. Mark my words, it will happen. And it's not going to happen because it's the right thing to do. and all the "unity" messaging PR folks will throw out there about it. It's going to happen because of the money that would be involved.

Look, as I said, I'm a fan of both Stryper and King Diamond. Not because of their lyrics (I do enjoy some, but I take things from both artists as entertainment), but because I dig the music and the melodies. I enjoy the vocalists and their talent. This would be an incredibly cool thing, whether a one-song collaboration, or a tour with both bands playing together. And make no mistake, Stryper's output the last decade has been heavy as hell. They can hold their own from a heaviness sake. And again, the marketing push of unification, of people appreciating people, and respecting believes, etc., blah, blah, blah, will be the spin.

But at the end of the day, this will be about the almighty dollar.

Regardless, I'd be into it. What about you all?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Michael Sweet - King Diamond collaboration - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 02:27:50 PM »
I'd have to hear it first. Stryper's music has always been underwhelming, and King Diamond, there's thing I like in his catalog, but they tend to be his later albums where he's not going up and down voice wise. I am not a fan of his shrill shrieking in any way. I have always considered it kind of clowny.

Now what would interest me is if Sweet would use KD's band for his next album. HIs band has the stones that Stryper does not.

And I'm not really sniffing any smoke here, Brian.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 02:50:28 PM »
Not much to add except that, reading that gave me a lot of respect for Sweet. I appreciate that he was that open and accepting of his time chatting with him and just the way he handles himself in general. He's not out there like some of those hard-liners that don't toe the line like they 'should' and aren't accepting or understanding or forgiving. Good for him.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 06:19:20 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 03:05:09 PM »

Maybe I used the wrong phrase. Basically, what I'm saying is that Sweet is saying he'll "pray" on something, deciding if it's the right thing to do, which I am sure he does. But his decision will be based on money, not what the Almighty tells him to do. Stryper is a business. What makes sense, business-wise (and that means whether they can sell it to the fan base and making decisions on whether their customers would buy it) is what primarily drives them - not the will of the Lord. Yes, many of those customers are hardcore Christians. So Stryper toes the line as best they can. But at the end of the day, making decisions on what to do for them, in my opinion, is how lucrative the opportunity is for them, not the message they are preaching. And I say this as a believer, and as a fan of Stryper. It's a weird dichotomy in my brain about my fandom of them, and what they do and why. And this hypothetical of Stryper and King Diamond collaborating -- I'm just saying I firmly believe it is a lot further along than what Sweet is saying, and it is driven by money, not by Sweet's praying to the Lord about it.

Not much to add except that, reading that gave me a lot of respect for Sweet. I appreciate that he was that open and accepting of his time chatting with him and just the way he handles himself in general. He's not out there like some of those hard-liners that don't toe the line that they should and aren't accepting or understanding or forgiving. Good for him.

But that's the thing, he does toe the line. Listen, I respect Michael Sweet. I met him once, gracious as could be. A wonderful talent and seems to mean what he says. I don't want what I've said to construe otherwise. And I think it's wonderful he met King Diamond. They are, after all, both just musicians making a living. But this just has "major marketing ploy" written all over it to me. That's all I'm saying.

I think the collab is happening, it'll be bigger than most people think, and I think the reason for it is less about a meeting of the minds, and more about the inflation of bank accounts.

But when it does happen, I absolutely will want to check it out.

And I'm not picking just on Michael Sweet. The whole music business just has me incredibly cynical. Most shit happens because of money, not because of chance.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 03:11:46 PM »

And this hypothetical of Stryper and King Diamond collaborating -- I'm just saying I firmly believe it is a lot further along than what Sweet is saying

I didn't get that at all.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 03:30:00 PM »

And this hypothetical of Stryper and King Diamond collaborating -- I'm just saying I firmly believe it is a lot further along than what Sweet is saying

I didn't get that at all.

There's a joke here, where I could spend the entirety of the rest of this thread making fun of you. But, because it's Friday, and you've had a hell of a last five weeks, I'm gonna let it slide.  :lol

If you take what Michael Sweet said at face value, then you're absolutely right. I'm saying I don't believe Michael Sweet is telling the whole truth. That's all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 03:58:55 PM »
 :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 08:38:29 AM »
I would listen with an open mind and buy if it was good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 04:34:12 PM »
There is nothing in this article that sniffs of any collaboration whatsoever.  It's just Sweet gushing over meeting him.

King hasn't released anything since 2007 so I'd say his new album would be the priority.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 05:39:03 PM »
There is nothing in this article that sniffs of any collaboration whatsoever.  It's just Sweet gushing over meeting him.

King hasn't released anything since 2007 so I'd say his new album would be the priority.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong (wf is right obviously). Obviously.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 06:26:55 PM »
 :metal

The thing is though, I don't think personally it's a marketing dream.  I get the differences between the two, but I think the whole satanic premise around King Diamond has always been blown out of proportion and context.  I know his beliefs, but he's much more than that, it doesn't define him or the band.  The band is about horror and fantasy.  I know House of God is a different story, but meh.

Plus, Sweet seems more of a solider to his faith as opposed to Kim, in the limelight at least.  That's evident in what they say plus their lyrics.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 07:16:20 PM »
I second the new King studio album as priority, Huge fan. Love Sweet, amazing talent and he gets better with age. I think a collaboration is an unnecessary fucking joke. If this is strictly a money/marketing move I don't see it working.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2023, 07:45:35 PM »
What if it was a rock opera?

Sweet plays Jesus, King plays Satan?

I suggest this satirically…I actually hate the idea.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2023, 08:30:15 PM »
I'd love to see them do an EP where they're singing each other's songs.  King can sing something overly Christian and Michael Sweet can sing some satanic goodness.   :metal

But please, King....record the new album already!

Also:

King Diamond, there's thing I like in his catalog, but they tend to be his later albums where he's not going up and down voice wise. I am not a fan of his shrill shrieking in any way. I have always considered it kind of clowny.

I felt the same way until I got into black metal and shrieking vocals.  Then King's vocals just became so awesome to me and the sillyness disappeared.  I could listen to Melissa / Don't Break The Oath / Abigail / Them / The Eye on repeat and love every second of it over and over again. 

Offline Deathless

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 06:44:18 AM »
I think it would be a really neat and interesting tour, though King doesn't seem to hit the road for long stretches these days. Most of his tours I see are a brief run of dates (like a week or two in the states or a festival run).

It would also be really cool to see more artists take this approach. I understand a lot are limited with who they can tour with because of logistics / musical styles etc, but fans would 100% attend shows with more diverse and interesting lineups like this. It's really tough in the touring industry right now and any innovation has got to help.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2023, 10:00:16 AM »
Hard Pass...

I see on paper why it looks like a cool idea..but...
I dont think either fan base would really like it in reality, and I dont see MS doing this at all.

in other news I really dig Final Battle by Stryper

"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2023, 03:10:46 PM »

What if King plays the entire House of God album live in a theatre play kind of situation and Michael Sweet can be the protagonist and act out the entire thing as the album goes along.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing that.  He'd be fine playing a guy that goes to hell and finds that Jesus was never nailed to a cross but his rotten corpse was actually hidden away by a higher power in the catacombs of hell.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2023, 03:17:31 PM »

What if King plays the entire House of God album live in a theatre play kind of situation and Michael Sweet can be the protagonist and act out the entire thing as the album goes along.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing that.  He'd be fine playing a guy that goes to hell and finds that Jesus was never nailed to a cross but his rotten corpse was actually hidden away by a higher power in the catacombs of hell.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2023, 03:30:37 PM »

You're absolutely right. There is nothing concrete there. But how many times have people said something along those lines, and then a couple years later, it happens. When there's smoke, there's usually fire.

Agreed that King is probably going to focus on his new album. Makes sense. But once the bean counters realize that a collab with Stryper (and hell, it could just be a tour together, not necessarily music) will be lucrative, it'll happen.

Anyway, just speculation. And fun speculation. I'd totally go see a King Diamond/Stryper show. And I'd absolutely check out a collab between the King and Michael Sweet if that sort of thing ever came to fruition.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2023, 04:25:41 PM »

Well, actually, since that storyline would be heresy, I'm quite sure he would (or at least, should) mind very much.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2023, 04:38:04 PM »

Well, actually, since that storyline would be heresy, I'm quite sure he would (or at least, should) mind very much.

Come on boss, surely you can tell I'm taking the piss here?  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2023, 04:40:12 PM »

You're absolutely right. There is nothing concrete there. But how many times have people said something along those lines, and then a couple years later, it happens. When there's smoke, there's usually fire.

Agreed that King is probably going to focus on his new album. Makes sense. But once the bean counters realize that a collab with Stryper (and hell, it could just be a tour together, not necessarily music) will be lucrative, it'll happen.

Anyway, just speculation. And fun speculation. I'd totally go see a King Diamond/Stryper show. And I'd absolutely check out a collab between the King and Michael Sweet if that sort of thing ever came to fruition.

I'll speak for myself here, but I just don't find the concept behind the two of them touring to be a very good idea at all.  Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2023, 06:29:30 PM »

No, I actually thought you were being serious.  :dunno: 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2023, 03:55:51 PM »

No, I actually thought you were being serious.  :dunno:

Nah, haha, it was all tongue in cheek mate.  Looks like I'm getting rusty on my piss taking skills lol.