Poll

Have you dealt with seasonal affective disorder?

Yes
7 (41.2%)
No
7 (41.2%)
Sometimes
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Seasonal affective disorder  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Seasonal affective disorder
« on: August 27, 2023, 02:19:15 PM »
Just curious what everyone's experience is with seasonal affective disorder, aka getting very down with the change of the seasons.

I have it bad with summer's end and the transition into fall. Its like clockwork And boy does its suck right now

Anyone else ever have to deal with it?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: Seasonal affective disorder
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 03:22:43 PM »
Get vitamin D supplements. Don't underestimate how much the deficiency will mess with you. - Someone who lives in Sweden.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 03:31:04 PM »
It’s generally a winter thing. But I guess it can also happen in the fall.

They make special Sun lamps for it. Not good if you’re also bipolar or prone or manic/hypomanic phases, but helpful otherwise. We used them often during the North Dakota winters when the sun was barley out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 03:35:01 PM »
My mom has suffered from that pretty badly in the past. A little better now that she’s in senior housing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 07:58:09 PM »
Yes.  I get this coming out if the winter as the weather gets warmer for Spring.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 08:24:08 PM »
I always seem happier when fall hits. Summer is somehow stressful in our house despite one parent who is off work those months. Once Sept hits, she goes back to work, the kids back to school, the weather cools down, and we start gearing up for Halloween.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 08:52:17 PM »
A lot of people in northern states get it. I boost my vitamin D when the clocks change, and it does help, but Oct-Feb is still really difficult.

But I wouldn’t trade anything for the 16 hours of daylight we get in the dead of summer. And if we get a really good snow storm (which is getting more and more rare) that puts a big time bright spot in an otherwise dreary season.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 07:14:51 AM »
My wife gets it.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 07:28:22 AM »
I always seem happier when fall hits. Summer is somehow stressful in our house despite one parent who is off work those months. Once Sept hits, she goes back to work, the kids back to school, the weather cools down, and we start gearing up for Halloween.

Same here, I'm glad when summer is over and we head into the fall (my favourite season). More cool weather, and lovely fall colors.

I don't have this disorder, but I can understand if others get this.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 07:41:27 AM »
No.

My wife hates winter, but I'm not sure it's the same thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 09:22:16 AM »
I really don't, but I did ntotice I'm usually more tired with the arrival of spring, than during the dark winter days.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2023, 09:25:05 AM »
I like all four seasons (some more than others), and I love when they change.  Of course, it is the mark of the inexorable path to the grave, but hey, that's life (so to speak).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2023, 10:41:43 AM »
When I made the big move from a southern state to northern Europe, I didn't anticipate how the very pronounced seasons would affect me. Those initial winters hit me like a ton of bricks – the darkness and cold seemed unending and it really got me down. But over time I've actually grown to love how distict each season is and it no longer gets to me. In fact I find myself looking forward to the dark as it's a good excuse to make the indoors as cozy as possible.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 10:46:40 AM »
I wasn't aware of it.  I guess it makes sense based on the responses from not getting sun light.  Maybe since I already get little sun light (I work in doors mostly in areas with out windows too) I just never noticed. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2023, 04:07:09 PM »
Just curious what everyone's experience is with seasonal affective disorder, aka getting very down with the change of the seasons.

I have it bad with summer's end and the transition into fall. Its like clockwork And boy does its suck right now

Anyone else ever have to deal with it?

Well, I don't consider it a disorder per-say but I actually live in Mesa (a suburb of Phx).  The transition from Spring to Summer is brutal and the transition from Summer to Fall is extremely welcome.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline dparrott

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2023, 01:04:27 PM »
The seasons don't really change here in Eastern CA that much except that it stops being 90-100 degrees every day.  That I hate.  I want it as hot and dry as possible with no clouds.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2023, 01:20:34 PM »
The seasons don't really change here in Eastern CA that much except that it stops being 90-100 degrees every day.  That I hate.  I want it as hot and dry as possible with no clouds.

I remember growing up in a place where year around, the temperatures were in the 80's and 90's during the day, and the lowest it would go was high 60's at night on a "cold" day (68 or so). I hope to never go back to that.

My ideal temperature is 50-65.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2023, 04:05:05 PM »
I live in Florida.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2023, 06:03:47 PM »
I live in Florida.

Same. I stay inside so much though. I love the coldest and darkest days, too.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2023, 02:27:15 AM »
It doesn't affect me at all.

I love it when the nights draw in and days can be really dark and murky. Autumn is my favourite time of year. But then I like spring, too.

The only real downside for me is the darker, colder weather can make my daily pre-work cycling more difficult.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2023, 06:01:31 AM »
In recent years (maybe the past decade), I've noticed this more and more. Each year, it seems to come on stronger than the last, to the point that I literally begin counting the days until Daylight Saving gives us back our hour.

I suspect that, if this continues on this trend, I will feel a strong compulsion to move South in the not-so-distant future. If only I could get my wife on board...

Offline Skeever

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2023, 07:10:33 AM »
I've been feeling it the last couple days. Just that sense that there's no spark that makes me want to get out of bed.

I take a Vitamin D supplement already. Maybe I should double down on it lol.

The change of season head congestion and sore throat don't help matters.