Author Topic: The IZZ Thread - anyone else heard of this NY-based prog band??  (Read 796 times)

Offline The Letter M

The IZZ Thread - anyone else heard of this NY-based prog band??
« on: January 22, 2023, 12:40:19 PM »
About a year or two ago, I discovered IZZ's 9th studio album, the 2019 release Don't Panic and it sort of came and went, but recently I went back to it and really enjoyed it. On a whim, I decided to try and order their whole back catalog. Luckily for me, I was able to get their second-through-ninth studio albums from Laser CD for fairly cheap ($12-15 a piece). Also found their 1999 debut album off of Discogs for a good price as well.

I'm slowly making my way through their discography over the next couple weeks and today I've begun with their debut, Sliver Of A Sun, and it's got a dated sound that harkens back to a lot of neo-prog from the late 80s through the 90s.

Just curious if anyone else here has ever heard of this band, and if so, what are some of your favorite songs or albums by them? I can't wait to discover the rest of their albums as I go through their discography!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

Re: The IZZ Thread - anyone else heard of this NY-based prog band??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 12:56:54 PM »
I remember checking out some of Don’t Panic when it came out, but never bought the album. I remember thinking it was ok but I guess didn’t grab me enough to buy it. May have to revisit them.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 01:54:26 PM »
At Nearfest in 2002 I met them and they gave me a Press Kit for my radio show on KFAI, which included their new CD "I Move."
The same year Enchant was there, who was the biggest reason I attended Nearfest that year.

I would compare them most to Enchant I guess, at least that album, I Move, but I was never grabbed  by them enough to seek out more of their music.

I know many of the Progressive Rock Internet Radio stations have played them over the years, and I do see their name, especially on other forums like progressiveears.com. But I've never found enough reason to listen to more of their music, barring some dramatic change in their style or songwriting. But maybe I should?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 03:06:05 PM »
I remember checking out some of Don’t Panic when it came out, but never bought the album. I remember thinking it was ok but I guess didn’t grab me enough to buy it. May have to revisit them.

Yeah, same at first, but upon revisiting it, it caught my ear a bit more this time around so I figured I'd give their whole body of work a chance. It's a good change of pace from all the classic 70s UK prog bands I've been spinning lately.

At Nearfest in 2002 I met them and they gave me a Press Kit for my radio show on KFAI, which included their new CD "I Move."
The same year Enchant was there, who was the biggest reason I attended Nearfest that year.

I would compare them most to Enchant I guess, at least that album, I Move, but I was never grabbed  by them enough to seek out more of their music.

I know many of the Progressive Rock Internet Radio stations have played them over the years, and I do see their name, especially on other forums like progressiveears.com. But I've never found enough reason to listen to more of their music, barring some dramatic change in their style or songwriting. But maybe I should?

Ooooh cool! Yeah, going through their first album today, I do hear a bit of Enchant-ness in their music, but I also hear everything from King Crimson, ELP, Rush, Genesis, The Beatles, and Marillion. They're definitely an eclectic group with a diverse range of influences and styles, at least on their debut.

To me, what sets them apart is their stylistic diversity and the vocal harmonies. Having multiple vocalists, and even female vocalists in the group, helps fill out their sound a bit more in ways that makes them different from their contemporaries in the third wave of prog from the 90s.

Over-all, the debut isn't bad, even if it sounds dated production-wise, the writing is interesting and even catchy at times while still providing enough of a progressive bite to keep musicians interested and figuring out time signatures and chord changes.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 09:11:45 AM »
They were supposed to play Night of the Prog in Germany last year, but had to cancel. Longtime fan here, especially of the older stuff. Love their melodies and the harmony singing.
One of those bands I'd LOVE to see live (others being The Dear Hunter, Moron Police or Cheeto's Magazine).
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 11:45:47 AM »
About a year or two ago, I discovered IZZ's 9th studio album, the 2019 release Don't Panic and it sort of came and went, but recently I went back to it and really enjoyed it. On a whim, I decided to try and order their whole back catalog. Luckily for me, I was able to get their second-through-ninth studio albums from Laser CD for fairly cheap ($12-15 a piece). Also found their 1999 debut album off of Discogs for a good price as well.

I'm slowly making my way through their discography over the next couple weeks and today I've begun with their debut, Sliver Of A Sun, and it's got a dated sound that harkens back to a lot of neo-prog from the late 80s through the 90s.

Just curious if anyone else here has ever heard of this band, and if so, what are some of your favorite songs or albums by them? I can't wait to discover the rest of their albums as I go through their discography!

-Marc.

Never heard of them. But based on this, I just streamed a minute of "Endless Calling" from their first record. Interesting. Will check them out. Thanks!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 09:55:04 AM »
I've been going at IZZ one album per day but now that I'm at My River Flows, I'm taking a second day to take it all in. This is a fantastic album and probably where the band seems to finally come into their own. The 12- and 21-minute epics are spectacular, and the other six songs fill in the album really well. If their next several albums are this good or better, I am in for a treat!

-Marc.