Author Topic: Tomislav's roulette episode 4 - FINAL ROUND RESULTS!  (Read 35402 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Tomislav's roulette episode 4 - round 7 hangman!
« Reply #980 on: April 14, 2023, 10:16:23 AM »
Yeah, but it started being played possibly a decade or more ago, when it was still "newer".  I think a song needs to be at least a couple decades old, probably three decades, to be eligible for oldies/classic x type stations.  At this rate we're due for Justin Bieber songs on the oldies station any minute now. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #981 on: April 14, 2023, 11:06:15 AM »
Yeah, but it started being played possibly a decade or more ago, when it was still "newer".  I think a song needs to be at least a couple decades old, probably three decades, to be eligible for oldies/classic x type stations.  At this rate we're due for Justin Bieber songs on the oldies station any minute now.

When I was growing up in the 80s and 90s there was a specific "oldies" station that played stuff from the 50s and maybe some 60s stuff, so I'd say oldies is about 25+ years. Are we talking an actual oldies station, or is it one of those "playing the hits of the 80s, 90s, and today" type of formats? Though by now 80s stuff should really be "oldies."

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #982 on: April 14, 2023, 11:30:01 AM »
It's always a moving target, but at the time it was the newest thing I'd heard this station play, it was mostly 70s/80s music.  They'd occasionally added some early 90s songs into the mix, possibly some mid-90s ones, but this was the outlier that threw me for a loop. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #983 on: April 14, 2023, 01:20:49 PM »
Everyone on this forum is old.
As evidenced by us all being on an old fashioned forum, and not Tiktok.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #984 on: April 14, 2023, 01:44:08 PM »
Younger people probably feel different about this, but I feel like there is less difference between music from the 90s and today (sonically, stylistically, etc.) than there was even between the 80s and 90s, and certainly than there was between the 90s and 50s, 60s, 70s.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #985 on: April 14, 2023, 02:12:54 PM »
Younger people probably feel different about this, but I feel like there is less difference between music from the 90s and today (sonically, stylistically, etc.) than there was even between the 80s and 90s, and certainly than there was between the 90s and 50s, 60s, 70s.

I am so with you on this HOF. It possibly is age, but I have such a clear definition of the 60s/70s/80s/90s sound (and as a kid born in '83 I feel the 90s is the superior decade by far), but couldn't tell you what defines 2000s/10s/20s, when talking about popular music.

I suppose that's not strictly true. The early 00s have a definite sound, but I'd struggle with anything after that. Maybe you need to have enough distance from it, to be able to define it?

Offline HOF

« Reply #986 on: April 14, 2023, 02:17:26 PM »

I am so with you on this HOF. It possibly is age, but I have such a clear definition of the 60s/70s/80s/90s sound (and as a kid born in '83 I feel the 90s is the superior decade by far), but couldn't tell you what defines 2000s/10s/20s, when talking about popular music.

I suppose that's not strictly true. The early 00s have a definite sound, but I'd struggle with anything after that. Maybe you need to have enough distance from it, to be able to define it?

I think there are certain elements that were fashionable at different points over the last 20 years that you could use to identify the period, but just in general, I feel like you could play a major label recording from 1995 and it could be something that was recorded today. I think it's mostly technology hasn't really changed much in terms of what we hear. Maybe to some extent the use of pro tools, autotune, etc. has influenced things. Maybe that's part of why things feel more or less the same sonically though over this century.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #987 on: April 14, 2023, 02:45:05 PM »
I hear a pretty noticeable difference between 90s and 00s music, but of recordings in the past couple decades it can be pretty hard to tell what year some things were released if they don't lean on particular elements too heavily.  Maybe in a decade I'll feel there's more separation between 00s and 10s music, dunno. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #988 on: April 20, 2023, 05:13:49 AM »
 :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #989 on: April 21, 2023, 05:09:36 AM »
I promise results will be up this week, be patient ;)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's roulette episode 4 - round 7 results!
« Reply #990 on: April 23, 2023, 05:25:15 AM »
Senecadawg2: Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Only Children
This feels really familiar, it either reminds me of something else or feels a bit generic :P jk it’s a nice song. I used to be into this kind of music before and this sounds like something that could get me into it. I like the atmosphere and his voice, melodies are country-like but I like them even though I don't usually like that usually. Well crafted song.
7.5/10

Buddyhunter1: Sungazer - Lunar
Interesting sounding modern jazz. It doesn’t cause me a headache like many jazz do, for sure. It is a nice blend of catchy and complex. When it comes to my enjoyment of it, I’m not really bought on it. I guess I could listen to more of this but it would be more of a background music for me.
7/10

Vmadera00: Once Human - Only in Death
Can’t really say I got into this but it has some nice elements. Clean vocals are pretty powerful and overall he’s alternating between screams and cleans really well. Music is groovy but I’d like it more if there was a pause for chill in between. But overall I enjoyed this song, it just doesn’t feel too interesting.
7/10

Wolfking: Sieges Even - Tidal
I listened to The Art of Navigating by the Stars before but sadly didn’t get into it. Also, I received Subsignal (band) in roulette before and that I liked (and these two share members, right?). From what I remember this one is more similar to Subsignal than SE I heard before. This song is really what I love about modern progressive rock. It is emotional and pretty heavy at the same time.
8.5/10

Sacul: Justice - Planisphere
Most of the time this felt like someone is sawing my brain tbh :lol not something I’d usually listen to. Also, it’s just too long. Fortunately, there was a time when this somewhat clicked. I was listening to a roulette playlist while running and this really works in that context. But I’m not sure I’ll ever get an urge to listen to this again, sorry.
6/10

Evermind: Mother of Millions - Artefact
This is really atmospheric and beautiful, I guess, but sadly I couldn’t get into it as much as I wanted to. I guess it’s because it sounds like it’s going somewhere but in the end it doesn’t really and that’s problematic for a song with almost 10 minutes runtime.
7/10

Elite: Barenaked Ladies - One Week
This is unlike anything I ever received. Kudos for courage, I guess ;D it’s goofy and funny and in the end pretty enjoyable even though I doubt I’d listen to anything like this on a regular basis.
7/10

HOF: Big Big Train - Last Train
I feel like I should like this but I can’t really get into it as much as I’d hoped. Received them before and, if I remember correctly, I felt similarly about it, too. But I wouldn’t say I dislike this, it just falls short. I guess it’s because it feels “too” neutral and I don’t feel emotion. That guitar solo slays, though.
7/10

Jingle.boy: The Tragically Hip - Ahead by a Century
When you wrote about this band and their frontman I felt a bit bad that I didn’t even hear about them. I guess it's a cultural thing. This reminds me of The Grateful Dead (at least what I heard) and that kind of music is pretty good for me but I can’t see myself being crazy about it. I don’t have much else to say about it, it’s just fine.
7/10

Lonestar: Voices From the Fuselgate - Meteorites
My first thought: he sounds like a guy from TesseracT. And he was on one of their albums I know :lol when it comes to more modern metal singers, this is what I like. Basically, I love vocal melodies. When it comes to music, I don’t mind djenty its nature when there’s enough interesting stuff happening and there is some breathing room, it’s not all just djent-djent-dj-dj-djeeent.
8/10

LithoJazzoSphere: Imogen Heap - Headlock
I like how you sent something different than in any of the previous rounds and still nailed what I’d like ;D I need more of this kind of music in my life. Imo it works as a background music, very chill but also it’s interesting enough to make my head bop. Her voice is pretty fine as well. It’s hard for me to put it into words but I know I like it very much.
8/10

Ariich: Teramaze - This is Not a Drill
This is one of those songs that don’t feel nearly as long as they really are. I think I received something from them before but don’t remember liking it nearly as much. I like heavy parts but where it all comes together is during softer parts, I love those melodies and got them stuck in my head. This is the kind of modern prog metal I like.
8.5/10

ReaperKK: Lucy Rose - Question It All
Not gonna lie, this song was quite forgettable for me, I’m not ever sure what it sounds like before I actually play it. However, that does not mean it’s bad. It has a nice atmosphere and melodies. It kinda scares me :lol still not sure if it's a good or bad thing.
7/10

Stadler: Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe
Yeah, I don’t think I get this song as I tend to forget it as soon as I listen to it, there isn’t much for me to grab onto. But while listening to it, I quite enjoy it. Guitar playing is really nice and there is a catchy groove throughout most of the song. I really tried to get into it but as I said, while still being pretty good, it’s forgettable to me.
7/10

Twosuitsluke: Aenaon - Synastry of Heartbeats
Somewhat reminds me of an Ihsahn song I received before. In theory, I feel I should like this more but I feel like the more I listen to it the weirder it gets. And I’m not the biggest fan of weird. The blend of sax with metal is not the best I heard but still I always like to hear it.
7/10

Crow: Seahaven - Void
This is quite nice. Right from the start, the nice vocal melodies and droning atmosphere make a combination I always like to listen to. The weirdest thing about this is the solo guitar which doesn’t fit imo, sounds like something from classic rock and also is quite generic. The rest is pretty good. I’m not 100% sure I’ll listen to more of this but it definitely sounds promising.
7.5/10

Puppies_on_acid: Pure Wrath - Homeland
The intro was very promising, really beautiful piano and the type of atmospheric black metal I like. Later part is maybe a bit more raw and vocals are really gritty but that’s what I expected. It’s funny how something this heavy and raw can still be really beautiful. There's a more mellow part in the middle as well, I like how they broke it down and gave it some breathing space. One of your best entries (if not the best).
8/10

LithoJazzoSphere - 56
lonestar - 54.5
ariich - 54.5
jingle.boy - 54
wolfking - 54
Evermind - 53
twosuitsluke - 51.5
Stadler - 51.5
Crow - 51.5
HOF - 51
senecadawg2 - 51
Puppies_On_Acid - 51
Buddyhunter1 - 50.5
Vmadera00 - 50.5
Sacul - 49.5
Elite - 49
ReaperKK - 46.5
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 07:50:54 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #991 on: April 23, 2023, 07:14:06 AM »
How do I have 54.4 when all scores are multiples of 0.5? :lol I'm guessing a typo.

Anyway glad you liked it, thought you would! And yeah completely agree, the slower sections are where it's at, but they also work well because of the contrast with the heavier sections which are also strong. That whole album is terrific, highly recommend it (and thanks Chad for turning me onto the band).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #992 on: April 23, 2023, 07:14:38 AM »
Damn... 1.5 pts is gonna be a hard gap to make up, here's hoping someone shits the bed....

Sent.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: April 23, 2023, 07:16:10 AM »
Yeah honestly I figured that's going to be the case a few days after I sent it. Dunno why I went with that particular song for you.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #994 on: April 23, 2023, 07:53:36 AM »
How do I have 54.4 when all scores are multiples of 0.5? :lol I'm guessing a typo.
Not a typo, you need something extra to win :corn

Damn... 1.5 pts is gonna be a hard gap to make up, here's hoping someone shits the bed....
Yeah, it's possible but Litho needs to send something really bad :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #995 on: April 23, 2023, 12:41:41 PM »
A 6 to one of the very best electronic songs in existence?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #996 on: April 23, 2023, 01:15:57 PM »
Sent
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #997 on: April 23, 2023, 01:57:32 PM »
A 6 to one of the very best electronic songs in existence?

Yea, even I liked that one!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: April 23, 2023, 02:30:21 PM »
Yeah nice.  Paramount might be a better SE album to check out.  Tidal is the best song though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline HOF

« Reply #999 on: April 23, 2023, 03:11:59 PM »
It’s weird how different people feel or experience emption differently. My wife says BBT are too sad. Many of their songs, like this one, are about loss and the passage of time. A way of life that has ended, the train station is shutting down and all that’s left is grass and rust. It’s a highly emotional song to me, but I think maybe it’s more the combination of the beauty of the music and sadness of the words.

At least you liked the guitar solo, which is an all time favorite. Dave Gregory is amazing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1000 on: April 23, 2023, 04:45:27 PM »

I am definitely capable of that.  Tomi, what's your equivalent of Brad Paisley? 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1001 on: April 23, 2023, 04:57:13 PM »
Sent!

So many possible directions I could have gone, because despite my score, I still have no clue what a "safe" submission would be.   :justjen   

I'll probably send two of my alternates after the roulette for you to check out as well, since they're harder to use in a roulette for different reasons, but are awesome songs anyway. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1002 on: April 23, 2023, 05:32:46 PM »
Not a bad score at all, even if it is one of my favorite songs from the past several years. If you're at all inclined, I'd recommend checking out his earlier album Southeastern, not the album this song came from.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1003 on: April 23, 2023, 09:16:09 PM »
Sent!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1004 on: April 24, 2023, 05:48:24 AM »
Will send soon.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: April 24, 2023, 06:33:46 AM »
Yes, I'll have something out today

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1006 on: April 24, 2023, 06:36:30 AM »
Sent!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1007 on: April 24, 2023, 07:56:51 AM »
Sent
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1008 on: April 24, 2023, 10:36:07 AM »
Sended

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: April 24, 2023, 03:03:44 PM »
Will send something sometime today.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1010 on: April 25, 2023, 04:29:49 AM »
Still wating on 7 of you. Could you please send today, I'd like to finish with everything before next Friday.

Offline twosuitsluke

Re: Tomislav's roulette episode 4 - SEND FOR ROUND 8!
« Reply #1011 on: April 25, 2023, 02:51:51 PM »
Sent

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1012 on: April 25, 2023, 02:52:40 PM »
Let's go slackers!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1013 on: April 25, 2023, 02:57:45 PM »
Let's go slackers!

Yiu know, the great thing about sucking at roulettes is that at this point in a roulette you can just put little thought into what you're sending, as you've got no chance of winning anyway  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: April 25, 2023, 04:22:31 PM »
Sent last night.